Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I'm not into hiphop at all but I've always liked Westwood and if nothing else his personality on the radio is always good for a laugh. He definately shouldn't be a goon hate figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Daius posted:

But then, by the traditions of the Sith, Comedy Dave would become the new dark lord of radio.

I'm sure the lorry driver would accidentally back up over him too as he tried to ply the gold fillings from Moyles rotten teeth.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I've never listened to Moyles, but I think the fact they gave him the nickname "Comedy Dave" because he's not loving funny is fantastic.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Hoops posted:

I've never listened to Moyles, but I think the fact they gave him the nickname "Comedy Dave" because he's not loving funny is fantastic.

Since I'm not a fan either, I actually assumed Comedy Dave was an assistant or lackey or something.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

SeanBeansShako posted:

Since I'm not a fan either, I actually assumed Comedy Dave was an assistant or lackey or something.

He is.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Leyburn posted:

No one cares about his age and background except people who would never listen to him in the first place.

He's been playing out hip hop music since the early 80s, supporting the music he loves. He helped to change the kind of music that gets heard on the radio and has watched (and been actively involved) as the artform he is passionate about to grew from a strictly underground presence to the most popular type of music in the world. He's got the respect of the biggest names in the industry, and is the go-to guy in the UK for every major international hip hop act.

But he's old and talks funny and a flabby irrelevant comic took the piss out of his dad.

I'm not even a fan of the guy, but I certainly respect him. He's no idiot and is just an easy target because of his age and his background. But like I said, no one who actually matters cares about those things, so fair loving play to the guy.

Edit: This reminded me of some vintage Westwood from 87 http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5613791235023845032

When he's so clearly constructed a persona that clashes so drastically with his early life there's definitely something there to find funny, and has nothing to do with his contribution to the industry. That said, I'd never heard of the guy before I saw him do a pretty loving bad DJ set, so I can't really form an opinion beyond "he's old and talks funny". Could be Jesus for all I know.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

When he's so clearly constructed a persona that clashes so drastically with his early life there's definitely something there to find funny, and has nothing to do with his contribution to the industry. That said, I'd never heard of the guy before I saw him do a pretty loving bad DJ set, so I can't really form an opinion beyond "he's old and talks funny". Could be Jesus for all I know.

His persona is clearly exaggerated for comic effect. Da big daaaaaawg.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
I really don't get the tim westwood hate tbh, its a persona and he does his job well.

Just lol if you arent locked into Tim westwood tv every . single .night.

Ponce de Le0n fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 27, 2011

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

I don't really care either way, I'm waiting for Chris Moyles to be run over by a lorry instead with my pointless grudge with a Radio celebrity.

One of the few compliments I can come with for Westwood is that at least he didn't invent Celebrity Tarzan, the worst game ever played on radio.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

I don't like music but I find Radio 4 too stuffy and I'm not that into sport. What radio stations are there for me??

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
How can you not like music?

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Because I'm a musician and want to escape it sometimes

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Just listen to static you loving weirdo.

Big fat quiz of the year tonight! Hope it's good although I'm pretty apprehensive after seeing the lineup.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Awesome thread. Sorry for asking a question I guess. I'm out

ZoDiAC_ fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 27, 2011

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Welcome to the UK tv thread, where everyone's a oval office apart from Stewart Lee.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Haha, it was two replies. If you're that oversensitive then you're right, it's probably best you don't post in here.

Also use more punctuation.

[edit]The answer is download and listen to podcasts rather than live radio, but you started crying when people questioned a "musician who doesn't listen to other music" so maybe you don't deserve the answer.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 27, 2011

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Going looting for copper piping in potentially unstable buildings made me the man I am today. According to my Uncle who dresses like it's the 1950s and Maureen Lipman is stealing people's faces.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

A5H posted:

Just listen to static you loving weirdo.

Big fat quiz of the year tonight! Hope it's good although I'm pretty apprehensive after seeing the lineup.

Jamie Oliver :psyduck:

Who booked him?!

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Hoops posted:

[edit]The answer is download and listen to podcasts rather than live radio, but you started crying when people questioned a "musician who doesn't listen to other music" so maybe you don't deserve the answer.

The Dave Gorman podcast is particularly good. They have to cut out the music, but the chat is always so good that it doesn't matter.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

ZoDiAC_ posted:

I don't like music but I find Radio 4 too stuffy and I'm not that into sport. What radio stations are there for me??

Resonance FM, it's London only but streams online too. Ok so the evening shows are mostly music based but it has a ton of arts and culture documentaries and discussion that make it Radio 4 but without the middle-aged home counties stuffiness.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Captain Mediocre posted:

His persona is clearly exaggerated for comic effect. Da big daaaaaawg.

Nothing about his time presenting Pimp My Ride UK was comic, however, except in the tragic sense.

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Buy an mp3 player, buy a shedload of audiobooks/subscribe to podcasts, roll your own radio. It's just the shame the Bugle has finished, really.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

ChuckDHead posted:

The Dave Gorman podcast is particularly good. They have to cut out the music, but the chat is always so good that it doesn't matter.

Strongly seconded. And also on Absolute Radio is Frank Skinner's show (podcast cuts the music too, obviously) which is equally entertaining (put aside any preconceptions about Skinner being this 90's heyday THREE LIONS laddish comedian - I hated that schtick too and love the hell out of the show).

Edit: Actually, going back and listening to either or both from the very start is really worthwhile - both have running "in" things that develop as they go on. I'd have gone mad ages ago on walks to and from work without them.

franco fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 27, 2011

gwaaargh
Jul 7, 2010

by XyloJW
Nothing like Dickens at Christmas to make everyone feel like poo poo

Back to the workhouse!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
watching 'Fast Freddie, The Widow and Me'. God, the schmaltz is being laid on thick, yet countered with a lead character who is a complete and utter oval office.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Big fat quiz is pretty poo poo, innit?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Junkenstein posted:

Big fat quiz is pretty poo poo, innit?

Yes :(
Such a shame.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

gwaaargh posted:

Nothing like Dickens at Christmas to make everyone feel like poo poo

Back to the workhouse!

It's still cheerier than Eastenders at Christmas.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'm looking forward to the SKY adaption of Treasue Island myself.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

SeanBeansShako posted:

indeed. The cast for that looks really good.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

On the one hand, it does look rather good. On the other, I just watched Muppet Treasure Island the other week and am going to be comparing them constantly. I know they're different things, but that's probably not going to stop making me want to watch Tim Curry as Long John Silver.

(Granted they managed to get another sweet transvestite in the role, but it's not quite the same...)

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Rob Brydon was sorely missed on Big Fat Quiz. Jamie loving Oliver.

Did however laugh at Walliam's jibe at Izzard regarding him being a fairweather transvestite. I guess the goatee does make things awkward.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another
I just turned onto BBC four and saw a B&W section about a girl whose profession was as a strip dancer, very weirdly narrated by BBC posh accent. This A to Z Night on Film is pretty awesome and I think justifies every single last penny of BBC four's budget.

Edit: Found it on iPlayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b018jl97/Night_on_Film_An_AZ_of_the_Dark/ 52 mins in.

UnquietDream fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 28, 2011

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Durzel posted:

Rob Brydon was sorely missed on Big Fat Quiz. Jamie loving Oliver.

There's normally someone that's valid to complain about every year, but at least they're usually popular comedians or something. I can see no reason whatsoever for Jamie Oliver to be on there. He obviously didn't even want to be there.

On another note, I can't decide whether a team deliberately entering non-nonsensical answers is, by now, really loving annoying or an integral part of the format.

Either way, worst BFQOTY by far.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Junkenstein posted:

There's normally someone that's valid to complain about every year, but at least they're usually popular comedians or something. I can see no reason whatsoever for Jamie Oliver to be on there. He obviously didn't even want to be there.

On another note, I can't decide whether a team deliberately entering non-nonsensical answers is, by now, really loving annoying or an integral part of the format.

Either way, worst BFQOTY by far.

It's really annoying. Especially when Miranda is involved. Also the little Britain's guy's shtick is so lovely. Do people really like that?

Also Christmas has taught me that Alan Carr seems to think he is the only gay man in the world that also wears glasses! Genius!

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

To be fair, this Alan Carr xmas special is pretty entertaining. It's a complete and utter mess. Jedward are a pair of right little cunts.

Love Like Blood
Sep 9, 2009

UnquietDream posted:

I just turned onto BBC four and saw a B&W section about a girl whose profession was as a strip dancer, very weirdly narrated by BBC posh accent. This A to Z Night on Film is pretty awesome and I think justifies every single last penny of BBC four's budget.

Edit: Found it on iPlayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b018jl97/Night_on_Film_An_AZ_of_the_Dark/ 52 mins in.

I came home drunk and watched that the other day, it's brilliant.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Catching up with Most Annoying People of 2011 on iPlayer. How long has Russell Kane been pretending to be Captain Jack Sparrow?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
how long has jack sparrow pretended to be russell kane?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

Rarity posted:

Catching up with Most Annoying People of 2011 on iPlayer. How long has Russell Kane been pretending to be Captain Jack Sparrow?
Russell Kane is an awful comedian, I'm sure he's reached the level of "award-winning" simply from being around long enough. He got the Edinburgh Comedy Award last year, it absolutely reeked of them not really having anyone better to hand it to.

Don't think I can face watching him start another routine with "you know, where I grew up, with my working class Dad *impression of working class Essex dad*, it wasn't like you, *middle class stereotype, something about Waitrose*" etc etc. It seems like he thinks that he's the only comic in the world who didn't go to Oxbridge, fearlessly bursting through the class struggle, but then sells out that viewpoint with a pretensious, quaffed stage character that tries too hard to come off as clever and doesn't actually do any punchlines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
Just watched the first episode of the Bleak Old Shop of Stuff.

Rather enjoyable.