Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Got my bass music shipment in. Only half of it came. The rest are in pre order because they haven't been pressed to vinyl yet or are being pressed.

Moonshine Steppas Pt 1
Moonshine Steppas Pt 2
Lion charge 006
Destroy by Axh
SYSTEM002
30,000 Ft By Truth
Backchat by Kahn & Neek
Narabeh by compa
Magneto VIP by J:kenzo
Hotline's Commodo release
and 1DROP002 white label.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny
Dec 31, 2005

strap on revenge posted:

I barely even buy records anymore because it's too expensive :( thanks uni

If I could get a copy of Diamond Mine by Jon Hopkins & King Creosote for not $150 that would be great

Wow, I bought this for £7.99. Had no idea it was so valuable! Not selling though :allears:

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

What's in the Taang! box set? Does it include Sold Out by Gang Green because I would love to own a copy of that loving record
It's the first ten Taang! singles, with original picture sleeves, book with recording/pressing info and a CD.There are a few Gang Green singles, Sold Out b/w Terrorizer is Taang! #1 and orginials go for what I paid for the boxset and I was laughing at someones listing on discogs of an original VG+ sleeve and insert for $50.

Action Serious posted:

Does this skip like loving crazy for you as well? I'm going to email the label this afternoon and complain.
I think they just crammed the two hour album onto 3 LPs, I noticed the runout lock groove on side C is literally the last second of the song with no dead space betweeen so it just repeats. I haven't noticed crazy skipping on my copy, I'd suggest a head shell weight and see if that helps.

dalaamprince
Jul 16, 2008

I love garage sale season so much. $10 for these guys. Did any of you get out today?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

dalaamprince posted:

I love garage sale season so much. $10 for these guys. Did any of you get out today?

That's a drat good haul for ten bucks. Especially with those Japanese pressings.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Went to the record store today to blow birthday money on new records. Got me Dopesmoker,the Sunn/Ulver album, Destroyer 666 Phoenix rising (on sick grey vinyl special 500 copies poo poo)

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

Personperson14 posted:

Went to the record store today to blow birthday money on new records. Got me Dopesmoker,the Sunn/Ulver album, Destroyer 666 Phoenix rising (on sick grey vinyl special 500 copies poo poo)

Dopesmoker is probably my favorite record to look at in my collection just because of how gorgeous the gatefold is

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Wronkos posted:

Dopesmoker is probably my favorite record to look at in my collection just because of how gorgeous the gatefold is

Yeah I really like it, and the song actually works pretty well split up.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Just picked up a 2013 RSD release of the most recent wire album.

Also got some Mission of Burma and Swell Maps. Kinda getting annoyed that my Screaming Females Live at the Hideout hasn't gotten here yet even though I pre ordered the loving thing.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

TubeStank posted:

Kinda getting annoyed that my Screaming Females Live at the Hideout hasn't gotten here yet even though I pre ordered the loving thing.

I got mine earlier this week. It should be on its way.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

dalaamprince posted:

I did!

The Roots record at the bottom is my wife's, because she has better taste in music than me. I went out with a few specific things in mind: David Axelrod's first two albums, anything Townes Van Zandt, an LP or 45 that has the Ike and Tina Turner song "Too Many Tears" and 10cc's first two albums. As you can see, I was only successful with the last choice.

10cc is a weird, eclectic little pop-rock band that was pretty obscure in the States, although to my understanding they were fairly popular in Britain back in the 70s (feel free to correct me, Brit goons). I learned about them a while ago after they were sampled on J Dilla's Donuts and genuinely loved "The Worst Band in the World."

Incidentally, I did find a bunch of Townes Van Zandt 45s, but they were priced about $30 each which is kind of ridiculous.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
They were extremely popular in Australia like many other bands that were unloved in their homeland. They spun off Godley and Creme who were even more obscure.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

This song is great. I'd been aware of 10cc but never really looked into them. I think now I'll have to.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

To me, like Supertramp, 10cc were a decent band that was hamstrung by being too clever for their own good. I like a number of their singles, and even Godley & Creme's "Five O'Clock in the Morning" is just a hair's breadth away from being a really great single (decent musically, poo poo lyrics.)

In the US, they're mainly known for The Things We Do For Love (with a few people remembering I'm Not In Love and a few other bits)

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Cry probably should have done better than it did, but An Englishman in New York always felt like it was trying way too hard. I know exactly what you mean.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Ron Burgundy posted:

They were extremely popular in Australia like many other bands that were unloved in their homeland. They spun off Godley and Creme who were even more obscure.

I actually was previously familiar with Godley and Creme, thanks mostly to these esteemed young gentlemen.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Dreadlock Holiday is a kickass song.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Awesome art on the Thou\The Body collab :O

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

I'm not particularly into Jack White, but this record reaches new heights of gimmickry and practically demands a spot on my shelf. Except I can't play that 78rpm hidden track :arghfist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-8B-_Jq2ro

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jack White's into lovely gimmickry? You don't say

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

iluvpr0n posted:

I'm not particularly into Jack White, but this record reaches new heights of gimmickry and practically demands a spot on my shelf. Except I can't play that 78rpm hidden track :arghfist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-8B-_Jq2ro

Hhahahaha holy poo poo

Jack White posted:

ULTRA LP FEATURES:

- 180 gram vinyl
- 2 vinyl-only hidden tracks hidden beneath the center labels
- 1 hidden track plays at 78 RPM, one plays at 45 RPM, making this a 3-speed record
- Side A plays from the outside in
- Dual-groove technology: plays an electric or acoustic intro for “Just One Drink” depending on where needle is dropped. The grooves meet for the body of the song.
- Matte finish on Side B, giving the appearance of an un-played 78 RPM record
- Both sides end with locked grooves
- Vinyl pressed in seldom-used flat-edged format
- Dead wax area on Side A contains a hand-etched hologram by Tristan Duke of Infinity Light Science, the first of its kind on a vinyl record
- Absolutely zero compression used during recording, mixing and mastering
- Different running order from the CD/digital version
- LP utilizes some mixes different from those used on CD and digital version

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Sounds like fun to me :shrug: I just wish it was by someone whose music I might want to listen to.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
remember when cool and good people did pressing gimmicks instead of this turd

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

stay depressed posted:

No, actually.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

stay depressed posted:

Yeah

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Allen Wren posted:

No, actually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slap-a-Ham_Records

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RRRecords

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Yeah those are good examples.

I put out a 7" that plays from the outside in and inside out, meeting in 2 locked grooves in the middle. And clear vinyl, with circuit board and windshield glass cover. That was 18 years ago. I'm biased but I think it's cool. Aardvark, the guys who do all the fancy masters for RRR did it.

E- also Runzelstirn and Gurglestock did some interesting stuff, I think they had their own lathe.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
yeah that's fresh

too bad the secret to success appears to be pressing a bunch of boring poo poo on the records also

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

People getting mad about things they don't need to buy and things that don't affect anything. I don't buy this stuff, but I like to see how far Jack White takes vinyl records as far as cramming "features" into the disc itself. It's fun.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
he isn't taking them anywhere that they haven't already been is the thing

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

If this stuff has been done, its the same shame of a bigger artist doing something that an artist hardly anyone knows about already did 3,000 years in the past. Its not like its common knowledge that a noise-specific record store was playing around with vinyl in similar ways before Jack White has. Sorry to steal away the very little thunder that RRRecords had

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
what those labels did is more interesting to discuss than the latest jack white pressing chock full of well-trod gimmicks. its cool that you think it's fun to see jack white specifically doing this but i think it's fun to talk about the people who already did and don't get talked about as much. maybe a couple people who read it will visit rrr or buy something online or just think ron is a cool and clever guy.

that's valuable and i'll poo poo on jack white every day if it means one more person will know what rrr is

stay depressed fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 6, 2014

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waqUSY0d2ss

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The song on the center label is pretty cool. So is the spinning "hologram."

edit: :lol: in the video he says the matte side "looks like a brand new 78 might have look like in 1978." Who the hell was putting out 78s in the late 70s?

wa27 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 6, 2014

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
lmao that's just awful

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Pressing things between steel plates or packaging them in American flags or plastic bags is still a gimmick.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
yea i never said they weren't gimmicks. just more interesting. what's that have to do with anything? i don't really see what making that point accomplishes?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Its your opinion, but I cannot honestly see how it would be cool to have steel plates, a plastic bag, or an American flag than to actually have a record that plays music in a bunch of weird ways as well as just have the regular album included. At least Jack White's gimmicks have some practicality except for the liquid disc.

Oh neato, I get to throw away this plastic bag or find out where to recycle these steel plates or put this American flag in my closet.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

I hate how white labels never come with a sleeve and just come in a slip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

b0red posted:

I hate how white labels never come with a sleeve and just come in a slip.

ya but its cheaper to press n package which means we get more!