Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That's not even the correct recipe for a zombie if you fix the typo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

God drat the banana oleosaccharum really rounds out the taste of Goslings. Adds a very nice low note and funkiness, definitely makes it taste like a more expensive rum.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Banana oleosacharrum for everyone!

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Meletti and soda with cold brew ice cubes makes a near perfect dresser*.

*A simple first drink you have while getting dressed and groomed before going out.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I made a few Ghost Flowers that was posted back a few pages ago and I settled on a different ratio.

1/2oz Lime Juice
3/4 Creme de Violette

I used Probitas, Dr. Bird, Smith & Cross and Appleton 12. I think Dr. Bird has the best balance of funk, while nothing being overly light.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Lawen posted:

He added grapefruit to his calculator and made a video for it. https://www.kevinkos.com/super-juice-calculator-1

Thanks!

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Anyone ever use non-luxardo maraschino and actually like it? I just got this bottle of caffo on vacation and made a last word. It was alright, but I could definitely taste a lack of that distinct maraschino flavor because the cocktail tasted a lot more like green chartreuse than usual. Also made the drink a lot hotter. When I get home I’ll do a side by side and take note, but wanted to see if anyone else has found a successful replacement.

https://naturalwine.com/caffo-maraschino-qualita-superiore-liqueur/

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I tried maraska based on a thread rec and it's just not as good.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Wife saw Greg on how to drink make a sage mojito a bit ago, so got some sage to replicate it. However, ran out of rum earlier, so I decided to improv. Made some pretty great.

Juice of 1/2 a lemon
3 sage leaves
3/4 to 1 oz honey (eyeballed)

Muddle them together. Added
1 oz cream del maguey mezcal
1 1/4 oz el padrino reposado tequila
And shook.

Very viscous and SO much going on. Delightful, somehow balanced despite so many loud flavors fighting. Gonna play around with the proportions a bit more, cause tequila gets lost and it ended up a bit sweet.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Pander posted:

Wife saw Greg on how to drink make a sage mojito a bit ago, so got some sage to replicate it. However, ran out of rum earlier, so I decided to improv. Made some pretty great.

Juice of 1/2 a lemon
3 sage leaves
3/4 to 1 oz honey (eyeballed)

Muddle them together. Added
1 oz cream del maguey mezcal
1 1/4 oz el padrino reposado tequila
And shook.

Very viscous and SO much going on. Delightful, somehow balanced despite so many loud flavors fighting. Gonna play around with the proportions a bit more, cause tequila gets lost and it ended up a bit sweet.

Sage is a weird one, but I like the idea of using it with mezcal.

That was a good episode. I laughed pretty hard when he discovered that basil mojitos are a thing. Like, haven't you ever grown an overabundance of basil? Hell, I use basil about half the time in my mojitos, and ALL of the time in my elixir tropicáls.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Sage sounds really fun (I like to throw some sage in my mint tea, and sage ice cream is surprisingly also great). I can see it being great with agave spirits.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
I'm just getting started making cocktails at home, and I'm running into a problem with drinks that use citrus. Every time I make a drink that uses lemon or lime the citrus dominates the flavour, nothing feels balanced. I'm being careful to follow amounts shown in recipes. Not sure why this is, could it be I need to use different shaking techniques, do I need to do something else with citrus juices like strain them before adding them?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Sashimi posted:

I'm just getting started making cocktails at home, and I'm running into a problem with drinks that use citrus. Every time I make a drink that uses lemon or lime the citrus dominates the flavour, nothing feels balanced. I'm being careful to follow amounts shown in recipes. Not sure why this is, could it be I need to use different shaking techniques, do I need to do something else with citrus juices like strain them before adding them?

I've had this same issue. I never really 100% figured it out but I do feel like it's gotten better, somehow. One thing that I think is worth trying, even though it goes against common cocktail wisdom, is do a stirred version and see if you like it better. A more common recommendation is to let the juice sit for a while before adding it, but I've not experienced a clear example of it helping.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
What’s the problem with the drink? If it’s too sour, back off on the citrus and/or add some sweetener. If it’s correctly sweet/sour balanced for you, just “too lemony/limey,” you could back off on both citrus and sweetener in favor of more base spirit or whatever.

Recipes/specs/ratios are starting points, everyone’s taste is different. I don’t drink a lot of sours but my girlfriend prefers them sourer and drier than most people do, so my house sour recipes use less sugar than typical recipes do. And even if everyone’s taste weren’t different, some limes are sourer than others, etc.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Sashimi posted:

I kinda know what you mean. First time I made a real last word I felt like the lime dominated.

There are some fixes.

1) more sweetener. Sweetness really helps accentuate flavors that might get lost and tame the bitterness of citrus. Keep adding a barspoon of simple as needed until either it's good (yay) or too sweet (oops). If it gets too sweet before you find the citrus more balanced, there may be another issue with the drink.

2) stronger proof spirit. Sometimes a recipe would call for a bottled in bond rye or overproof gin/rum but I'd use an 80 proof. Usually the spirit gets lost and another flavor (sometimes citrus) dominates. Even if the recipe doesn't explicitly call for a higher proof spirit, give it a shot if it might change things up.

3) use less citrus. Palates take time to adjust to new sensations. I hated the first couple negronis I made, and now I love them. Bitterness especially is like getting into a hot tub, you gotta ease yourself in. So feel free to adjust the proportions a bit to taste, and if you can always try to nudge it back up as you get more acclimated.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Sashimi posted:

Are you using fresh citrus or bottled? Are you making your syrups correctly? Are you diluting enough when shaking? Under shaking is one of the most common beginner errors and leads to an unbalanced drink.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I'd bet $$ that you're not shaking long enough or hard enough

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
That's another good point, I think I've gotten better with knowing how long to shake, which may be why I feel like I'm running into this issue less often.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
If you over squeeze your citrus you can get oil from the rind in there too. I’ve seen some hand juicers that mangle the rind and you get a citrus oil flavor added.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
IIRC, part of the shaking process is to aerate the citrus which helps to mellow it out a bit. While the ice, at the same time, is helping to dilute the mixture.

If you care to share, what drinks are you making?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

IIRC, part of the shaking process is to aerate the citrus which helps to mellow it out a bit. While the ice, at the same time, is helping to dilute the mixture.

That's a good point too, margaritas are pretty easy to feel over-limed when made per classic recipes. Partly cause they're over-sweetened commercially typically, and partially cause they're a surprisingly tart drink, esp if you undermixed.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

A nice sour margarita is the best though. Screw the sweet ones.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Waltzing Along posted:

With that, you might want to try the Dave Arnold ice method, which is two large cubes in your shaker, one cracked (for dilution) and the other solid (for mixing and aeration). I've made drinks for several folks who said "this is the best X I've ever had" and I mostly credit that since I'm not using exotic or expensive liquors and I'm just doing the recipe correctly...

...which I think is also a factor, really. I've had Whiskey Sours at restaurant bars that didn't have egg white or bitters added and it makes an enormous difference (which is why I don't really order mixed drinks from restaurants in general). Following "proper" methods and using real measurements really has a big impact, it turns out.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I use basically that method, but I don't crack a 2nd cube. I could have sworn he said 2 small 1 big.

E: just double checked and yeah, he says 2 small, 1 big on pg 97 of Liquid Experience. That chapter on ice is pretty crazy. I mean, it's essentially a textbook on making cocktails, so of course you need a chapter on ice.

Greg on how to drink cracks his 2nd cube, though and I think I've seen him say he took Arnolds method and made it his own.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 3, 2022

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I follow Greg's method if only because it's easier on my ice supply. I also don't know how the 2 cracked-1 whole method is supposed to fit in a glass, since 1/1 pretty much fills all of my cocktail glasses just about to the brim.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Pretty sure the 1 big, 2 little is for when you strain the ice. The other benefit of not cracking the big cube is you don't end up with a bunch of tiny ice shards that could end up in your drink. Unless you double strain, of course.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Waltzing Along posted:

Pretty sure the 1 big, 2 little is for when you strain the ice. The other benefit of not cracking the big cube is you don't end up with a bunch of tiny ice shards that could end up in your drink. Unless you double strain, of course.
I'm talking about the strainer, actually, and the dilution that comes from the cracked cube. I feel like doubling the dilution would windup overflowing my cocktail glasses.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

God drat this was special. First restaurant I've been tempted to order the same drink twice instead of branching out, though I ended up branching out as usual.

I gotta try some milk washed drinks sometime, anyone have some without rare herbs?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

God drat this was special. First restaurant I've been tempted to order the same drink twice instead of branching out, though I ended up branching out as usual.

I gotta try some milk washed drinks sometime, anyone have some without rare herbs?

It's mostly just a technique that you can do whatever you want with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ1ffluktqM

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Thanks for all the replies!

Scythe posted:

What’s the problem with the drink? If it’s too sour, back off on the citrus and/or add some sweetener. If it’s correctly sweet/sour balanced for you, just “too lemony/limey,” you could back off on both citrus and sweetener in favor of more base spirit or whatever.

Recipes/specs/ratios are starting points, everyone’s taste is different. I don’t drink a lot of sours but my girlfriend prefers them sourer and drier than most people do, so my house sour recipes use less sugar than typical recipes do. And even if everyone’s taste weren’t different, some limes are sourer than others, etc.
I have fixed some drinks by adding a bit of simple syrup, but I think in my case its more down to technique or making beginner's errors with ice or other ingredients.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Are you using fresh citrus or bottled? Are you making your syrups correctly? Are you diluting enough when shaking? Under shaking is one of the most common beginner errors and leads to an unbalanced drink.

Fart Car '97 posted:

I'd bet $$ that you're not shaking long enough or hard enough
I'm trying to shake hard for around 10-15 seconds, long enough that the cold sensation from shaker begins to feel very uncomfortable and frost starts to appear. I'm also only filling about 3/4 of the shaker with ice, perhaps I should get it as full as I can?

PRADA SLUT posted:

If you over squeeze your citrus you can get oil from the rind in there too. I’ve seen some hand juicers that mangle the rind and you get a citrus oil flavor added.
I do tend to squeeze the poo poo out of the fruit to try and get every last drop, maybe I'll be more gentle or just use a juicer. Is there any drawback to squeezing a bunch of lemons or limes all at once, and leaving the juices in the fridge?

Waltzing Along posted:

Classic daiquiris, margaritas, and jasmines to name a couple when I want to go the citrus route. I'm making a lot of negronis though because they don't need any citrus, they're drat near impossible to gently caress up, and I need to go through the whole bottle of sweet vermouth before it goes bad.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Sashimi posted:

Is there any drawback to squeezing a bunch of lemons or limes all at once, and leaving the juices in the fridge?

Besides only lasting a day or so?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I often get a bunch of little ice shards in shaken drinks if I don’t double-strain. Am I shaking too hard?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
No, it’s just that a lot of people shake too soft and/or like the ice shards.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Toebone posted:

I often get a bunch of little ice shards in shaken drinks if I don’t double-strain. Am I shaking too hard?

No, and you should be double straining

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

The other thing is that if you fill your shaker with like cube ice from your freezer you don't need to shake very much at all. the 10-15 seconds is for 1 or 2 big cubes. You're overdiluting your drink if you do that. Which also might explain why some of the subtle flavors are going away and the sourness is coming back. I would get a silicon mold with like 1 inch ice cubes. Put one in start slowly shaking to roll it around then give it the business for 10 seconds and that is a perfect drink.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Also don’t put ice in until you’re ready to shake and pour. I’ve seen people put ice in a shaker and then spend a few minutes pouring ingredients, or put everything in the shaker and then wander off to rim glasses or something while the drink sits there melting.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a drink like a Mexican gin and tonic? Something tequila/mezcal based but more of like a large iced drink?

The closest I have is making a larger Paloma, or adding Jarritos to a margarita base. Anything else?

I’m looking for a higher-volume, iced “summer porch drink”, if that makes sense.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

Also don’t put ice in until you’re ready to shake and pour. I’ve seen people put ice in a shaker and then spend a few minutes pouring ingredients, or put everything in the shaker and then wander off to rim glasses or something while the drink sits there melting.

Does this actually matter? For a stirred drink you will get improperly dilution, but I always thought a shaken drink will always get to the most dilution possible anyway.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a drink like a Mexican gin and tonic? Something tequila/mezcal based but more of like a large iced drink?

The closest I have is making a larger Paloma, or adding Jarritos to a margarita base. Anything else?

I’m looking for a higher-volume, iced “summer porch drink”, if that makes sense.
My first thought was a Paloma as well. It's the only tequila-based drink I can think that lets you poor a big glass without having a bunch of other ingredients.

Speaking of which I've been accumulating Grapefruit peel while making this exceptionally delicious drink. Once I make a few more I'll have enough peel to make Grapefruit Oleosaccharum, and from there Grapefruit Soda to make a fresh Paloma.

Mrs. Strange Matter found this recipe to use the giant rosemary bushes that that have grown in our yard:

Rosemary Salty Dog
2 inches Rosemary
2 oz Grapefruit Juice
1.5 oz Gin
1/2 teaspoon sugar

Muddle the Sugar and Rosemary, then shake the rest of the ingredients together with ice. Strain into a cocktail glass rimmed with salt, garnish with more rosemary.

I found that the half rimming the glass worked well because the herbal quality of the rosemary gets overpowered with too much salt, so half rimming it lets you be more measured in how much salt you take. I guess some saline might do the trick as well, but honestly I'm split on whether the drink needs salt at all because it's so good on its own. The grapefruit and rosemary play exceptionally well with the botanicals in Gin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

PRADA SLUT posted:

Maybe a Ranch Water? Tequila, lime and Topo Chico.