Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
It's not hard to do the math on consumption x kwh cost. You can even use a kill-a-watt device to get pretty accurate measures of device power consumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I don't have a mini-pc to test with, but assuming it is 6w running under load at my current rates that would be about 29 cents a month. P2000 @ 75w is about $3.50 per month. Starting from scratch looks like it makes sense to go with the mini, in my case I'll stick with the Quadro for now.

e: I didn't realize mini-pcs had gotten that low in power usage

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

LRADIKAL posted:

It's not hard to do the math on consumption x kwh cost. You can even use a kill-a-watt device to get pretty accurate measures of device power consumption.

For a data point:

My SuperMicro server has Power consumption built into the BMC.

It's running ESX with Vcenter, PiHoles, Arrs stack (i need to setup a second Sonarr instance for the Animes), Heimdall, Docker, Grocy, Home AssistantOS, Plex, SABNZBD, Torrents, and my Wireguard VPN tunnel to my VPS.

Running the server 24/7 with 2x12 core Xeons and 256GB of ECC + a 1070 for transcoding/AI/ML(Blue Iris) consumes as much as an incandescent light bulb running 24x7
(between 75-95W)

I also have a separate 55TB NAS running TrueNAS on a Celereon that supports ECC.

Edit: comes out to about $6/mo

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 8, 2023

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I'm streaming regular 1080p HEVC from a remote Plex server. Using the Plex app in installed on my Chromecast with Google TV (fully updated), it can frequently buffer - sometimes playing the film pretty much flawlessly, but sometimes buffering every few minutes making it annoying to watch. This can also happen if I use the Plex app on my phone and cast to the Chromecast itself. It will sometimes give me the message that my connection is maybe not good enough and I should consider dropping the quality rather than using Direct Play - but I don't want to transcode.

If I stream the same film on my Macbook Pro in the same room (using the Plex site in Google Chrome), it streams without buffering. They're both connected to my Amazon Eero. The Macbook is easy to tell it's on the 5Ghz network, the Chromecast doesn't say. The TV is fairly old and I'm just using it's built in regular (stereo?) speakers. The playback info says it's direct playing the audio rather than transcoding.

Any advice on what I can do to try to minimise this?

An example of the file info for a film that was buffering today...

code:
Codec HEVC
Bitrate 6001 kbps
Language English
Language Tag en
Bit Depth 8
Chroma Location left
Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
Coded Height 1080
Coded Width 1920
Color Range tv
Frame Rate 23.976 fps
Height 1080
Level 4.0
Profile main
Ref Frames 1
Width 1920
Display Title 1080p (HEVC Main)
Extended Display Title 1080p (HEVC Main)
Codec AC3
Channels 6
Bitrate 640 kbps
Language English
Language Tag en
Audio Channel Layout 5.1(side)
Sampling Rate 48000 Hz
Title Dolby Digital 5.1 (Surround)
Display Title English (AC3 5.1)
Extended Display Title Dolby Digital 5.1 (Surround) (English AC3)
Codec SRT
Language English
Language Tag en
Title English (SDH)
Display Title English (SRT)
Extended Display Title English (SDH) (SRT)

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Yeah my Plex will stay on UnRAID. I've got a Quadro in there and when it a has to transcode it handles it like a champ. The box itself has a 2700x and never slows down. I like simplicity especially when apartment living.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Sad Panda posted:

I'm streaming regular 1080p HEVC from a remote Plex server. Using the Plex app in installed on my Chromecast with Google TV (fully updated), it can frequently buffer - sometimes playing the film pretty much flawlessly, but sometimes buffering every few minutes making it annoying to watch. This can also happen if I use the Plex app on my phone and cast to the Chromecast itself. It will sometimes give me the message that my connection is maybe not good enough and I should consider dropping the quality rather than using Direct Play - but I don't want to transcode.

My Chromecast TV is literally 6 ft from my router, and I had the same issue.
I got the Ethernet/power combo to fix the problem. Chromecast has the worst WiFi.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

deong posted:

My Chromecast TV is literally 6 ft from my router, and I had the same issue.
I got the Ethernet/power combo to fix the problem. Chromecast has the worst WiFi.

Good call - thanks, I've just ordered it and will see if it clears up the issue. If not, I'm sure I can post it back for a refund.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
Also make separate wifi name for the 5ghz.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
No, don't!

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
How can I strip the metadata from 100 video files in windows for free?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Fozzy The Bear posted:

ffmpeg

There may also be some fancy pants GUI metadata stripping app you can get. But I'd just use ffmpeg if I had to do this.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

cruft posted:

ffmpeg

There may also be some fancy pants GUI metadata stripping app you can get. But I'd just use ffmpeg if I had to do this.

I'm not a professional computer toucher, this program is complicated.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I'm not a professional computer toucher, this program is complicated.

https://ffmpeg.app/

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

It doesn't know what metadata is, what's the secret codeword I need?

e; I'm up to C just doing this manually. I'll make it to Z before I learn the magic command :lol:

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 11, 2023

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If they're MKVs I'd consider https://mkvtoolnix.download/ and see if it can just strip out the metadata, which also avoids traversing/copying out the whole file.

Otherwise 'ffmpeg -i inputfile -acodec copy -vcodec copy outfile' should do it. This would also ditch any subtitles.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah, I’m gonna guessing someone has a whole bunch of MP4 files with the group release tag in the Name metadata, and Plex is then calling the name of the movie that and it looks ugly as hell.

On MacOS I use Subler, but alas there’s no Win version of that. Such a neat tool too, does this poo poo nice and easy. Maybe MP4Tools does it? https://www.mp4joiner.org/en/

If you’re not using local metadata for anything at all, you could tell Plex to ignore it?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah, I’m gonna guessing someone has a whole bunch of MP4 files with the group release tag in the Name metadata, and Plex is then calling the name of the movie that and it looks ugly as hell.

I found a large quantity of RARBG files, and they fill every Title and Comments. What assholes. :wtfdude: :fuckthis:

I'm just going to do it manually, 10-20 movies per day, should be fixed in a week.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah they’re generally the main offender for that trick. Well, were anyway.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
And now we know the REAL reason they got got :toughguy:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
If it is mp4s, Mp3tag can do bulk metadata editing on them, there's a free trial to see if it'll do the needful. It's my go-to for that.

https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Fozzy The Bear posted:

You forgot to add "and comes with an easy to understand graphical user interface".

The answer is likely "no".

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

cruft posted:

You forgot to add "and comes with an easy to understand graphical user interface".

The answer is likely "no".

that bit was already implied with "in windows"

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

webcams for christ posted:

that bit was already implied with "in windows"

Look at this guy who hasn't seen how awesome the new Terminal is.

Violator
May 15, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

On MacOS I use Subler, but alas there’s no Win version of that. Such a neat tool too, does this poo poo nice and easy. Maybe MP4Tools does it? https://www.mp4joiner.org/en/

If you’re not using local metadata for anything at all, you could tell Plex to ignore it?

God dang, I haven't thought about Subler in like a decade. It was a part of my workflow forever ago, maybe before I switched to Plex and was running everything through iTunes home sharing?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s such a neat and simple little tool, I use it a bunch. Nice that there’s a macOS app that leads the way rather than windows for a change!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I'm having this issue right now where videos played locally on my Plex library--not even over a network, but literally played on the HTPC physically plugged into the library's hard drive--will develop an audio desync issue after 10-15 minutes of play where the audio appears to be like 150-200ms ahead of the video. This happens regardless of file type (i.e. h264, 265, mp4, etc.) and seemingly developed out of thin air without any changes to software, hardware, or Plex settings. It temporarily "fixes" itself if I jump back or forth a few seconds, but inevitably reappears after another 10-15 minutes.

Resetting Plex, resetting the PC, updating video drivers, changing all sorts of settings in Plex, killing background processes like Nahimic Audio, changing the port the HDMI is plugged into on the TV, changing the audio output, etc.--none of it has made the issue go away. And what's wild is that this exact setup has been working fine for literally years now.

Has anybody experienced something like this?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

What client

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

kri kri posted:

What client

Plex for Windows version 1.75.0.3920

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Fozzy The Bear posted:

It doesn't know what metadata is, what's the secret codeword I need?

e; I'm up to C just doing this manually. I'll make it to Z before I learn the magic command :lol:

see if this works: https://superuser.com/a/428039

e: alternatively, ctrl+f "metadata" on this page: https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html

code:
-metadata[:metadata_specifier] key=value (output,per-metadata)
Set a metadata key/value pair.

An optional metadata_specifier may be given to set metadata on streams, chapters or programs. See -map_metadata documentation for details.

This option overrides metadata set with -map_metadata. It is also possible to delete metadata by using an empty value.

For example, for setting the title in the output file:

ffmpeg -i in.avi -metadata title="my title" out.flv
To set the language of the first audio stream:

ffmpeg -i INPUT -metadata:s:a:0 language=eng OUTPUT

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 14, 2023

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I'm having a bit an issue with my Plex server streaming remotely and was wondering if anyone has come across something like this before.

I'm streaming from my server at my house to my girlfriends. She has a Roku Ultra and everything works ok. But about two months ago she stopped being able to play h.265 files on that tv. She can play them just fine on others, just not that one. I can play any other file type on that Roku, just not h.265. And the other two tvs in her house with built in Roku's work fine with all the files

The server is about five years old, but I have a older Nvidia card in it for transcoding. I have plenty of upstream speed, everything has been updated, etc. It's connecting over wifi, but the signal strength is good and it's on a less congested channel.

I'm kind of lost as to what could be causing this issue on only one tv.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I'd check server logs when she tries to play something and see if there's anything interesting in how it's negotiating with the Plex client on the Roku. Like is it trying to play the native h.265 or is it trying to transcode? What's it transcoding to? Maybe something absurd like 4K h.264 at max quality, and the connection can't support enough throughput for all that data?

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I'll look into that. I don't allow 4k to remote locations, and most of what she is watching is HD. I have the roku set to a 3 mbps 720p which shouldnt be pushing either of our internet speeds too bad.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

diremonk posted:

I'll look into that. I don't allow 4k to remote locations, and most of what she is watching is HD. I have the roku set to a 3 mbps 720p which shouldnt be pushing either of our internet speeds too bad.

Set her quality to original or whatever is the option below original and see if it fixes it. The same thing was happening to my mom and moving it to a higher bitrate fixed it.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Burden posted:

Set her quality to original or whatever is the option below original and see if it fixes it. The same thing was happening to my mom and moving it to a higher bitrate fixed it.

I'll give that a shot tomorrow. Looking through the logs, the only thing I see that is odd is a bunch (10+) of errors

[7088] ERROR - Caught exception trying to stream file: C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Cache\Transcode\Sessions\plex-transcode-10e12680-9d85-4849-a02d-7c6a89759e89\media-00459.ts: write: A request to send or receive data was disallowed because the socket had already been shut down in that direction with a previous shutdown call [system:10058]

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yay, whatever it was in the version of ersatzTV that wasn’t playing ball before seems resolved in the latest version. Naturally, I moved over to dizqueTV in the meantime for my silly fake broadcast tv setup, so now I have both aforementioned software for different purposes plus a HDHomeRun feeding into xteve to combine them into something Plex can understand.

All to be enjoyed by… pretty much just me because of Plex’s limitations of sharing ‘live’ TV.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Which would you recommend between ersatzTV and dizqueTV ? I’ve been wanting to set up something like this forever, but always got scared away by how complex it seemed and how the software always seemed to be in beta and barely working.

But I just checked again, and there seem to be step by step guides out there for both platforms, so maybe they’re good now?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think it’s gonna depend on your setup and what you want to do.

Dizque’s front end to me looks better and I feel it has better controls over programming from the get go. It gives you good control over how you want your media played (for example I have an NBC Thursday Prime Time channel that plays 2 episodes of each show side by side, in chronological order from a random start place. So if you see 2 episodes from s4 of Friends one day, the next time that comes around in the schedule it’ll be the next 2 episodes). Everything you do is represented visually instantly, so you know it’s working. I’m yet to do things with the ‘flex’ stuff, which is filler you can add in to do ad breaks, bumpers etc.

Its drawbacks to me are, as far as I can tell, the source files for everything have to come from the Plex library. Which is great for some stuff - it means the EPG data is great, but for the filler stuff it means having to have Plex libraries dedicated to them. On a technical side it struggles sometimes moving between media types, transcoding helps with this. It also seems feature complete, there hasn’t been any updates for a long time.

Ersatz isn’t as attractive, but for my other use - replicating music tv channels - it feels a better option. I can feed files in from the hard disk directly rather than having to make libraries for them. With the correct filestructure it can generate a subtitle track to do a proper Artist/Track overlay which I’m pretty sure Dizque can’t do. Its scheduling is good, but just not as flexible on initial messes around. It’s also in active development still, and on a technical side it doesn’t seem to give me any issues on playback over time, however I’ve not mixed resolutions/aspect ratios as much as I have with Dizque.

I wouldn’t say either has particularly great documents or YouTube tutorials tbh (enough to get you going but you’ll yearn for more detail and examples) but both have active discord channels where a lot of info goes by. I wish they’d merge both projects into one, they both have advantages really. Given I have to use xteve anyway (I have a HDHomeRun tuner and Plex won’t play nice with more than one XML source) it’s not really a big deal for me to run them both really. You might find that works for you too if you get bitten by the bug and want to mix up a bunch of different ideas.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm having this issue right now where videos played locally on my Plex library--not even over a network, but literally played on the HTPC physically plugged into the library's hard drive--will develop an audio desync issue after 10-15 minutes of play where the audio appears to be like 150-200ms ahead of the video. This happens regardless of file type (i.e. h264, 265, mp4, etc.) and seemingly developed out of thin air without any changes to software, hardware, or Plex settings. It temporarily "fixes" itself if I jump back or forth a few seconds, but inevitably reappears after another 10-15 minutes.

Resetting Plex, resetting the PC, updating video drivers, changing all sorts of settings in Plex, killing background processes like Nahimic Audio, changing the port the HDMI is plugged into on the TV, changing the audio output, etc.--none of it has made the issue go away. And what's wild is that this exact setup has been working fine for literally years now.

Has anybody experienced something like this?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Plex for Windows version 1.75.0.3920

I'm posting this here on the random chance somebody else has a similar issue down the road:

So randomly, I found a "solution" to this issue by windows+P moving the display back to the HTPC (laptop) screen and then right back to the television. Whenever it pops up now, I just do that and it no longer desyncs again after 10 or 15 minutes.

No idea why it started popping up seemingly out of nowhere--not sure if the culprit is the television or what, but it's been fine up until now and no settings have been changed on it--but it's way better than having to go back/forward ~8 times in each movie.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I looked a few pages back. What's the recommended mini PC, or maybe what's the next step up from that in terms of transcode/storage/memory sort of capacity for use in more general server stuff as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

LRADIKAL posted:

I looked a few pages back. What's the recommended mini PC, or maybe what's the next step up from that in terms of transcode/storage/memory sort of capacity for use in more general server stuff as well.

Generally anything with a 12th or 13th gen Intel chip will work well for this. The CWWK N305 is popular right now (they're the OEM so you can find this same device from multiple brands). Minisforum has some similar devices like the NAB6.

If you want something that might offer a bit more upgradability you could look at a used Small Form Factor enterprise computer like a Dell Optiplex or Lenovo ThinkCentre. These will sometimes have more connectivity like a PCI-e slot, two DIMMs instead of one, and generally use a full fat desktop CPU instead of a laptop type one that's soldered to the mainboard, but for the same price you're probably looking at 7th or 8th gen Intel.