Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

DrNutt posted:

So this thread is pretty insane to keep up with if you miss a day or two, but I'm just curious, does anyone else feel a little burnt out after getting to Drangleic? I've finally managed to get through the gauntlet of shitlords and take down the two Dragonriders, but I'm just not feeling as excited to continue on anymore.

definitely. I was playing tonight in Drangleic and just thinking "I'm not really having much fun anymore." I'm not even sure what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Dandywalken posted:

God drat, I'm hating Freja NG+ more than I did Armana when I was pure melee :(

Walked in, take a Greatsword swing to AoE the adds, and get hit by her melee. At 20% HP when I stand up, get hit by baby spider for whats left. Shameful display.

I think I'm summoning in NG+

I still have yet to beat on PC, PS3 was bad enough that I don't want to have to do that alone ever again

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Of course you can get around it by using a controler but that's not the point

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Alan Smithee posted:

I think I'm summoning in NG+

I still have yet to beat on PC, PS3 was bad enough that I don't want to have to do that alone ever again

Sweet. I'm there as Nerdwing

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I don't know what's funnier. People getting mad about videogames or Barons getting mad about people getting mad about videogames.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Hey I know I could use a hammer to drive these nails but I've got a perfectly good pipe wrench and it gets the job done.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Dandywalken posted:

Sweet. I'm there as Nerdwing

Oh nono, I meant hypothetically speaking when I come to it. Not on right now

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010
So I just got to the Shaded Ruins and used my 2nd, and last, Fragrant branch on a lion warrior to get the fang key; I still haven't unpetrified Straid. However, I just found out that there's another lion warrior actually blocking the way, and I'm out of branches. Was it a total waste to unpetrify the lion warrior that was up against the wall instead of this one? Am I screwed?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

They delayed it for 6 weeks under the pretense they were working on improving the controls, after what I see here, I don't buy that earlier statement.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Mariposa posted:

So I just got to the Shaded Ruins and used my 2nd, and last, Fragrant branch on a lion warrior to get the fang key; I still haven't unpetrified Straid. However, I just found out that there's another lion warrior actually blocking the way, and I'm out of branches. Was it a total waste to unpetrify the lion warrior that was up against the wall instead of this one? Am I screwed?

I believe there are more yore in the game than things to use them on

are you referring to the lion blocking the small little ruins thing? That one is definitely worth it fwiw

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

GreenBuckanneer posted:

They delayed it for 6 weeks under the pretense they were working on improving the controls, after what I see here, I don't buy that earlier statement.

I too am mad that a game designed around a specific control scheme works better with that control scheme.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Alan Smithee posted:

Oh nono, I meant hypothetically speaking when I come to it. Not on right now

Ahh np :) I'll pretend I'm getting ready for a football game then and tap L1 constantly. Surely it'll help me.

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

I believe there are more yore in the game than things to use them on

are you referring to the lion blocking the small little ruins thing? That one is definitely worth it fwiw

No, I meant another lion just standing by a wall; I came across the blocking one just after I used my last branch.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Mariposa posted:

There's a plenty of fragrant branches around, more than enough to unpetrify everything. If you want more branches, try going through Hunstman's Copse and the areas it leads to.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

DrNutt posted:

So this thread is pretty insane to keep up with if you miss a day or two, but I'm just curious, does anyone else feel a little burnt out after getting to Drangleic? I've finally managed to get through the gauntlet of shitlords and take down the two Dragonriders, but I'm just not feeling as excited to continue on anymore. I'm feeling like my +10 Fire Mace is starting to get a little weak and and I'm worried I wasted too many titanite chunks/etc on stupid bullshit like shields and armor I never wear. I know I can respec but I'm not really sure my stats are an issue. Do I have a lot longer to go? I'm starting to get the itch to start a new character, but given my tendencies with DeSouls and Dark Souls 1, that'll probably mean never picking this character back up.

Part of your problem is you chose one of the worst scaling types. Fire scales off both faith and intelligence and you don't get the fire weapon enchant spell until ng+. Even if you have both stats high you'd be better off with a dark weapon. You still have the coolest looking area to go, too.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Artificer posted:

Has anyone here been able to powerstance effectively in PvP with anything larger than straight swords? I'm nearly always only using my right hand weapon at the moment and very rarely do I actually land a powerstanced double bastard sword slash. :(

Yeah with Avelyns :getin:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Studio posted:

Yeah with Avelyns :getin:

I'm thinking of slapping lightning infusion on the Red Rust Scimitar in the offhand and the Curved Dragon Greatsword (w/ Lightning infusion) in the right hand. Bastard sword's powerstance sweep is good but I'm not hitting with it often enough, really. Hm. Could use more testing though.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

They never said it was for the controls, the most they said was make a better port, which they did.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Part of your problem is you chose one of the worst scaling types. Fire scales off both faith and intelligence and you don't get the fire weapon enchant spell until ng+. Even if you have both stats high you'd be better off with a dark weapon. You still have the coolest looking area to go, too.

This is untrue. Weapons that start as pure phys and are made elemental do not really benefit from scaling. They say they have a B usually, but at most you're talking +40 from scaling bonus, over +20 or so with base. The reason his weapon isn't doing so hot is that pure physical, while not great for PVP, is still the best option for PVE. He may also be having a bit of trouble because a fair amount of the castle is open to rain, and IIRC that provides the same fire defense bonus as any water source.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Mariposa posted:

Am I screwed?

Like Alan Smithee mentioned, there's more than two of the branches; you'll never screw yourself out of more branches by using them immediately. If you don't mind spoiling yourself, the DS2map2.jpg on the wiki has the general area locations of the branches.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cardboard Box posted:

definitely. I was playing tonight in Drangleic and just thinking "I'm not really having much fun anymore." I'm not even sure what it is.

I actually think the game almost overstays its welcome is the issue. It's TOO long and by the end I just wanted it over with.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 6, 2014

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

SirDan3k posted:

Hey I know I could use a hammer to drive these nails but I've got a perfectly good pipe wrench and it gets the job done.

I'm going to scream at people on the nail forums and boycott nails because my pipe wrench bent one of them.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Drangleic is a weird design thing because it's sort of a central hub for a lot of things, bosses, pvp, etc. but that basically means a lot of repetition and when it ends it just sort of...ends like some other goon once said

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

I actually think the game almodt overstays its welcome is the issue. It's TOO long and by the end I just wanted it over with.

Having more of a good game is never a bad thing. I was pleasantly surprised each time I kept coming across another area on my first playthrough. Granted, I do kind of get sick of the last 30% of the game now, but that's more a result of me having done it so much and usually wanting to get to the end for infinitely purchasable chunks.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Honest Drangleic castle was quite underwhelming to me from a design standpoint. Could've been a lot more interesting, in my opinion. Making the rooms visually distinct would help too.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
So exactly how much stronger do enemies get on NG+ and following? Because I'd kind of like to ascetic a few bonfires but I don't want to put myself in a giant disadvantage. Also, do enemies stop getting stronger after a certain point (like in the previous games) or do their stats increase forever with each NG+ / Ascetic?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Genocyber posted:

Having more of a good game is never a bad thing. I was pleasantly surprised each time I kept coming across another area on my first playthrough. Granted, I do kind of get sick of the last 30% of the game now, but that's more a result of me having done it so much and usually wanting to get to the end for infinitely purchasable chunks.

Can't say I'd agree. Just as with a movie or a TV show, an important part of pacing and structure is knowing when to stop.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I've been getting through most of the game okay, but the Shrine of Amana is the first place where I'm actually really getting angry at the game's bullshit. Between the homing magic projectiles and the monsters lurking in the water and the water slowing down my movement and the water hiding bottomless pits and the melee guys seemingly not being slowed down by the water at all, it's actually extremely aggravating to try and get through this section. I've tried sniping with arrows/bolts, but the enemies seem to be able to fire from much farther away, which doesn't give me enough time to eyeball the shot--I've probably wasted half my ammo just trying to get lined up, and then I have to roll immediately after my shot so I don't get hurt myself.

What the loving secret here?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

404notfound posted:

I've been getting through most of the game okay, but the Shrine of Amana is the first place where I'm actually really getting angry at the game's bullshit. Between the homing magic projectiles and the monsters lurking in the water and the water slowing down my movement and the water hiding bottomless pits and the melee guys seemingly not being slowed down by the water at all, it's actually extremely aggravating to try and get through this section. I've tried sniping with arrows/bolts, but the enemies seem to be able to fire from much farther away, which doesn't give me enough time to eyeball the shot--I've probably wasted half my ammo just trying to get lined up, and then I have to roll immediately after my shot so I don't get hurt myself.

L1 to aim. Also maybe pick up a longbow or the hunter's blackbow for longer range. I used a longbow to snipe all the mages in Shrine of Amana without issue (except for the ones I decided to backstab instead).

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Can't say I'd agree. Just as with a movie or a TV show, an important part of pacing and structure is knowing when to stop.

Yeah, like, when I was a kid I always wished that the games I really liked lasted forever, but I'm currently working 8-5 five days a week and really just don't have the time (or patience) for super long games anymore I guess. I still plan on beating the game and I'll probably go for NG+ afterwards (since that will likely be much, much shorter) but at this point I'm ready for the game to wrap it up.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

NG+ Freja down. Turns out the key tactic was to not panic like a bitch at the adds, and dont be afraid to fight them in Freja's proximity.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

And now you read this in a seally Svedisch accent Jå?
Ok, quick question: Is there a rapier with a special attack where it reaches far beyond what the model implies or are rapiers just ridiculously good at highlighting problems with even the slightest amount of lag? I've been repeatedly stabbed from meters away by people using rapiers even though I seem to be able to dodge every other weapon just fine. Doesn't really help though, I still lose in the end. :(

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Genocyber posted:

They never said it was for the controls, the most they said was make a better port, which they did.

This is untrue. Weapons that start as pure phys and are made elemental do not really benefit from scaling. They say they have a B usually, but at most you're talking +40 from scaling bonus, over +20 or so with base. The reason his weapon isn't doing so hot is that pure physical, while not great for PVP, is still the best option for PVE. He may also be having a bit of trouble because a fair amount of the castle is open to rain, and IIRC that provides the same fire defense bonus as any water source.

It's completely true and you didn't say anything that actually contradicted me. If he's heavy into physical stats he should not imbue with fire and if he's heavy into one or both of the casting stats he still shouldn't imbue with fire.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Do summons deal reduced damage to bosses or something?

I'm out-damaging summons wielding greatswords, 2-handing, etc with single hits from my +3 caestuses, is that strike-damage supremacy or some reduced damage mechanic? I have a +5 mace by this point, but since I'm summoning people this time around the boss fights really aren't challenging enough to warrant a fully upgraded weapon. I just don't understand how I'm dealing more damage per hit with some fist weapons I threw my extra titanite shards onto.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Sanctum posted:

Do summons deal reduced damage to bosses or something?

I'm out-damaging summons wielding greatswords, 2-handing, etc with single hits from my +3 caestuses, is that strike-damage supremacy or some reduced damage mechanic? I have a +5 mace by this point, but since I'm summoning people this time around the boss fights really aren't challenging enough to warrant a fully upgraded weapon. I just don't understand how I'm dealing more damage per hit with some fist weapons I threw my extra titanite shards onto.

NPCs do considerably lower damage then players but have like 10 times the HP.

If you're summoning players, they must just suck :shobon:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

404notfound posted:

poison the priests if you got any, or just range them, they are vicious in packs but manageable in singles.

The water monsters are one of those things you really shouldn't be dying to (when you do it's a shameful thing and you should be ashamed). I usually jump attack them, make sure you never face them when you do because their attacks can still get you midway. They never ever track you if you dont face them.

Range the magic missilers, if you cant then make a b line for them and either dodge to the side at the last moment or roll.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Mr Wikstroem posted:

Ok, quick question: Is there a rapier with a special attack where it reaches far beyond what the model implies or are rapiers just ridiculously good at highlighting problems with even the slightest amount of lag? I've been repeatedly stabbed from meters away by people using rapiers even though I seem to be able to dodge every other weapon just fine. Doesn't really help though, I still lose in the end. :(

Dont believe so. Sounds like netcode problems. I find rapiers pretty trivial if you have a shield. Poison can be a problem (hence why I used it on PS3) but base damage is nothing

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

And now you read this in a seally Svedisch accent Jå?

Alan Smithee posted:

Dont believe so. Sounds like netcode problems. I find rapiers pretty trivial if you have a shield. Poison can be a problem (hence why I used it on PS3) but base damage is nothing

Too bad I don't use a shield eh? :haw:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

The Ruin Sentinels at the King's Gate bonfire do not respawn if you use their souls to open the doors. This room is now easy.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Alan Smithee posted:

poison the priests if you got any, or just range them, they are vicious in packs but manageable in singles.

The water monsters are one of those things you really shouldn't be dying to (when you do it's a shameful thing and you should be ashamed). I usually jump attack them, make sure you never face them when you do because their attacks can still get you midway. They never ever track you if you dont face them.

Range the magic missilers, if you cant then make a b line for them and either dodge to the side at the last moment or roll.

The monsters aren't a problem on their own, but it's a combination of all the elements that makes the run to the fog gate harrowing. I have some difficulty budgeting my stamina between killing the monsters/mace dudes, blocking their attacks, and dodging the magic projectiles. And with the water slowing me down and hiding deadly pitfalls, I'm also eating up some stamina to sprint backwards along the path I took to find some cover.

It's not too bad up until the part before the fog gate, where you have that loving foot-high platform that you have to circle all the way around (why the poo poo is that even there), and there are three or four mages and two mace dudes and a scattering of monsters, all ready to assault you all at once. This was the first time where I tried making a mad dash to the fog gate, only to find that you're completely vulnerable while entering the gate, so I died before I could step through it.

I've tried using bows and crossbows, but maintaining a safe distance means being far enough away that I can't lock on, so I have to burn some ammo just to get my shot lined up... but then the mages seem to have more range than me. So while I'm trying to hit them, they're also flinging projectiles my way, and I have to either tank the shots or get out of the way and start all over with lining up my shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010
I just picked up 2 blacksteel katanas in Iron Keep. And when I read about the katana on the wiki, I realized that all of those "friendly" summoning signs at the beginning of the keep are probably people who want to rush through and farm katanas.

Edit: I was lucky, but not THAT lucky; I was genociding the knights for souls and levels.

Mariposa fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 6, 2014