Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Avenging_Mikon posted:

"Act like its Trying to do the right thing." Augs get a special car on the metro, and the entrance and platform are sectioned of and the Aug section of the platform is filthy. They do a good job of approximating a fascist hellhole. So many little touches of oppression. I'm contemplating starting over and going full combat, and seeing if I can kill every last shithead cop.
Weren't augmentations rather expensive? Seems odd to have the people with them be the downtrodden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

swamp waste posted:

Ocarina of TIme was weirdly good about giving you a sense of inhabiting a culture. There's also a part where I think you have to prove yourself to the Goron king by a playing a song that only a member of the royal family would know. That's tight

It's bizarre how much Shigeru Miyamoto absolutely loathes the idea of lore in games, considering the best memories anyone seems to have with Zelda games is based on the sense of the world rather than any particular element of the gameplay. I hope that they ignore him with Breath of the Wild, because if they end up going with "gameplay like Skyrim with nothing beyond a bare-bones generic story," I'm going to be very disappointed. On the other hand, if they finally fully embrace the concept of lore by littering references to things throughout the game, it could fill this thread for months.

ETA:

Strudel Man posted:

Weren't augmentations rather expensive? Seems odd to have the people with them be the downtrodden.

I haven't played the new Deus Ex yet, but according to pre-release info, something happens that causes a bunch of augs to go violent and this leads to their new oppression. It seems like in Zootopia, where the predators who would, without regulation and laws, be on top are instead subjugated based on fear of them becoming violent again.

TheRecogScene has a new favorite as of 01:45 on Aug 24, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Strudel Man posted:

The game's logic (Human Revolution's was, anyway) is "people spend a lot of money on augmentations and then have to buy neuropozyne to keep having them and that puts them in the poorhouses" which would make sense if nobody in the whole world had a job or something.

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

CJacobs posted:

The game's logic (Human Revolution's was, anyway) is "people spend a lot of money on augmentations and then have to buy neuropozyne to keep having them and that puts them in the poorhouses" which would make sense if nobody in the whole world had a job or something.

Human Revolution had sort of a weird narrative issue where they wanted people with augs to be rich and therefore represent the (currently debated) idea that the wage gap would only get wider with rich people being able to afford improvements to their body that made them able to physically dominate the poor, but it also wanted to talk about systemic dependency on Big Pharma, and it sort of sandwiched them both into a single in-game issue.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

I haven't played the new Deus Ex yet, but according to pre-release info, something happens that causes a bunch of augs to go violent

This is part of the final act of the first game. The Illuminati (or whoever) hack almost every augmented person in the world and make them go psycho for a few hours.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
People like sarif get augs that look really fashionable and cool. Poors end up scrapping together to buy crappier augs they can't really afford just to keep up (a side quest in china talks about a girl who had legit talent but was failing compared to the rich kids who could buy intelligence enhancing augs).

People like Sarif are probably fine, it's the latter group that gets screwed over.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

There's the rich who get augs because they can, veterans and people with disabilities that get them out of necessity, middle class people that get them to keep up, poor people that require them just to stay competitive but can't afford the anti-rejection meds and the criminals who typically have hack jobs.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

There's the rich who get augs because they can, veterans and people with disabilities that get them out of necessity, middle class people that get them to keep up, poor people that require them just to stay competitive but can't afford the anti-rejection meds and the criminals who typically have hack jobs.
Also the poor people who end up being indentured servants because their employers will give them anti-rejection meds as a large part of their payment, leaving them stuck in that job unless another company is willing to pay the same.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Still doesn't really make a lot of sense. People who buy things to keep up or stay competitive probably aren't going to be socially worse-treated than those in an otherwise equivalent position who don't buy those things to stay competitive.

Not that it matters, I suppose.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

Still doesn't really make a lot of sense. People who buy things to keep up or stay competitive probably aren't going to be socially worse-treated than those in an otherwise equivalent position who don't buy those things to stay competitive.

It's a fictional realm, people will hate things and have strong prejudice just because.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

Of course they would.
The rich get stuff like:

The poor get stuff like:

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
The whole DX:HR thing gets mixed up because of the final act of the game. Its clearly setting up an entirely new set of haves & have nots (and the have nots who try to "improve past their station" get hosed over because they can't afford the anti rejection drug) and then the final act turns that all on its head by having all the augmented go crazy and kill a million people in a few hours Its essentially a terrorist attack - something that causes a society to turn on itself in fear. I haven't played the second game yet but it will be neat to see what comes out of that.

I think its cool that a game can actually have nuanced opinions about things. Different characters in the game clearly believe different things and take action according to it.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
There's differing qualities of augmentation, just like with prosthetics nowadays. Some are cheap, some are expensive, everyone requires a constant supply of anti-rejection drugs. If you play Human Revolution, you see there's millions of people with augs, and then at the end of the game they all get "hacked" and unwillingly go on a hours long rampage. Thus, your explanation for why they're hated and feared, and for why there's so many.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

In the Deus Ex HR DLC I was expecting the boss to be as bad as all the main game ones. I was pleasantly surprised when I was able to just turn invisible and stab him in the head.

Speaking of, there's a boss in Human Revolution who hides behind a pane of bulletproof glass and forces you to engage in an apparently rather annoying bossfight.

Unless you have the laser rifle, which will shoot right through the glass and kill her instantly because lasers are made of light, and the bulletproof glass is clear.

That was the first thing I tried my only time playing through the game. I've literally never done the boss fight "correctly".

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Just thinks of it in terms of a housing and subprime mortgages and it all makes sense.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

MiddleOne posted:

Just thinks of it in terms of a housing and subprime mortgages and it all makes sense.

I can't emptyquote but exactly this.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
You'd be perfect for this job if only you had a robotic eye that can scan barcodes, my cousin can hook you up with one real cheap. Just take out a short term loan, you'll be able to pay it off in a month.

Looks like the price of anti-rejection meds went up again, but don't worry they'll probably come back down next week. These things happen.

Some customers have been complaining about your creepy robot eye, we're going to have to move you to the back. And cut your wages.

You need more hours? Well there's an opening in the warehouse, but your current arms just aren't going to cut it, literally. Have you met my cousin?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Then you get the Rich Student who's all like:

I've got a robotic penis! It's functionally useless and no girl will touch it but it can bench press a steam train so gently caress IT!

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

I can't emptyquote but exactly this.

MiddleOne posted:

This is actually very helpful. I did play, but did not finish HR, and it was a while back, hence my perhaps-misinterpretation of how well the concepts big pharma and wage gap concepts merged.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Avulsion posted:

You'd be perfect for this job if only you had a robotic eye that can scan barcodes, my cousin can hook you up with one real cheap. Just take out a short term loan, you'll be able to pay it off in a month.

Looks like the price of anti-rejection meds went up again, but don't worry they'll probably come back down next week. These things happen.

Some customers have been complaining about your creepy robot eye, we're going to have to move you to the back. And cut your wages.

You need more hours? Well there's an opening in the warehouse, but your current arms just aren't going to cut it, literally. Have you met my cousin?

There's also gonna be poo poo like "sorry about the accident/illness. You can either have this prosthetic heart and lungs and pay money for meds and maintenance for the rest of your life, or you can be dead. Your choice.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's also gonna be poo poo like "sorry about the accident/illness. You can either have this prosthetic heart and lungs and pay money for meds and maintenance for the rest of your life, or you can be dead. Your choice.

You can't directly oppress some sick kid or an army vet with a legitimate medical need for aftermarket parts without being so cartoonishly evil that you couldn't even run for public office in the US.

Once you have a large enough demographic of people who gave up their god given organs for money or a chance at a better life then you can start building ghettos and poo poo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Avulsion posted:

You can't directly oppress some sick kid or an army vet with a legitimate medical need for aftermarket parts without being so cartoonishly evil that you couldn't even run for public office in the US.

Once you have a large enough demographic of people who gave up their god given organs for money or a chance at a better life then you can start building ghettos and poo poo.

The point was they'd get lumped in with people who voluntarily got augmented whether they wanted to be or not.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Avulsion posted:

Haha dude have you been watching the current presidential race ? It's perfectly plausible when even now we have vets denied VA benefits over inconsequential bureaucratic poo poo and called out as traitors for supporting the "wrong" side. Never underestimate the banality of evil.

If anything, it's pretty sad that game,s are drawing so heavily from contemporary events for their fictional dystopias.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Avulsion posted:

Have you ever seen an American politician?

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Avulsion posted:

You can't directly oppress some sick kid ...

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Have you ever seen an American politician?

Have you ever seen an American politician punch a baby on TV?

Admittedly there are some politicians who might try it just for attention, but it's not usually considered a winning campaign strategy. It's easier to identify some minority that people won't flock to defend, paint them as villains and then enact broad, sweeping legislation that is guaranteed to gently caress over a large number of people while making a shitload of money for your friends.

Sure the "Protect Humanity" bill might mean little orphan Johnny doesn't get his new heart right away, but it's a small price to pay to keep those robosexual deviants from corrupting our youth!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Johnny was no angel why should he get a heart when are troops don't have legs?
And then just never really put any funding toward Augs4ReturnedVets.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
DX:HR is a really deep game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

BioEnchanted posted:

Then you get the Rich Student who's all like:

I've got a robotic penis! It's functionally useless and no girl will touch it but it can bench press a steam train so gently caress IT!

That me

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I found a big mouth billy bass in DX:MD that plays classic Deus Ex music

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, the whole "Augmented folk are really poor" thing gets elaborated on a ton in Mankind Divided. While the first game a lot of augmented individuals had access to the medical care and finances they needed (in various states of indentured servant as pointed out earlier), the augmented going nuts on a global scale has drastically hosed their situation in terms of getting a job and so on. One NPC mentions that approximately seven million augmented people exist in the timeline that the game is set, and unless they were incredibly privileged to begin with (CEOs, spec ops military, that kind of thing) they've been forcefully relocated, financially destroyed and have almost zero prospects of being able to gain meaningful employment which leads to that downspiral of not having the drugs they need, etc etc

However flawed the parallels between racism and anti-augment might be (similar to X-Men being an allegory for minorities it's a bit of a stretch - real world minorities don't set people on fire by simply existing, or have the inherent ability to twist someone's arms off in a fit of rage they can't control), the smaller details and world building are great. I think I've spent about three quarters of my game time so far reading e-mails, listening to NPC conversations and so on.

Then going back and smashing everyone's bathroom walls down because gently caress it, my Jensen's a dick.

Actually that reminds me of my favourite little thing. In the prologue section you're advised to get to the bottom floor as soon as possible and your camera is nudged towards the elevator that comes up just as dialogue finishes - however, completely unprompted you can leap over the railings and perform what's effectively a comet drop, knocking seven bells of poo poo out of the bad guys below and putting you within about three seconds of finishing the objective. The only thing that could've made it more metal is NPCs responding. :black101:

poptart_fairy has a new favorite as of 10:29 on Aug 24, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
How necessary is Human Revolution to understanding Mankind Divided? I skipped it due to not liking bad boss fights cause they are the worst kind of roadblock for me. Does MD explain relevant events of HR or will I be completely lost?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BioEnchanted posted:

How necessary is Human Revolution to understanding Mankind Divided? I skipped it due to not liking bad boss fights cause they are the worst kind of roadblock for me. Does MD explain relevant events of HR or will I be completely lost?

Go play the Director's Cut of HR. They fixed the Boss fights so they all have non-combat alternate solutions. Generally involving activating turrets, B.O.X. Robots, or gas traps to do the work for you.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's (an excessively long) video you can watch which explains the previous game, but except for "augmented individuals went psychotic on a global scale" and "Jensen didn't ask for his augmentations" plot elements you don't really need anything else. Most of the support cast are new or from supplementary material.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Go play the Director's Cut of HR. They fixed the Boss fights so they all have non-combat alternate solutions. Generally involving activating turrets, B.O.X. Robots, or gas traps to do the work for you.

And if you do play it (definitely do) note that in Hong Kong you should not have the new bio-chip installed, otherwise you have to brute force a later boss fight.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

THanks for the info. I'll probably get them eventually, but I have a fuckton of upcomng games that I'm looking forward to playing that are Higher Priority for me right now, so I'll probably get the WiiU Human Rev, then the PS4 MD at some point later.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mierenneuker posted:

And if you do play it (definitely do) note that in Hong Kong you should not have the new bio-chip installed, otherwise you have to brute force a later boss fight.

That part was kind of neat because they don't force you to do it, they just have one of the people who gives you your objectives tell you to get one but if you've been reading emails you'd know it was a bad idea.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

That part was kind of neat because they don't force you to do it, they just have one of the people who gives you your objectives tell you to get one but if you've been reading emails you'd know it was a bad idea.
I got it because it seemed like it would be more narratively interesting than just skipping it. It wasn't and it was just annoying, but hey, I can respect that as a punishment for stupidity

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Job Simulator seems to be all about doing dumb poo poo in an imagined idea of what jobs were like back in the 21st(?) century.

http://i.imgur.com/YPtNcVG.mp4

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I got it because it seemed like it would be more narratively interesting than just skipping it. It wasn't and it was just annoying, but hey, I can respect that as a punishment for stupidity

I didn't do it because I literally could not have come up with a more obvious trap if I tried, and yet there were still people in threads here that did it for reasons other than morbid curiosity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RareAcumen posted:

Job Simulator seems to be all about doing dumb poo poo in an imagined idea of what jobs were like back in the 21st(?) century.

http://i.imgur.com/YPtNcVG.mp4

It's kinda impressive watching how accurate the hand-tracking is, going through all those gestures with minimal flailing.