Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

triple sulk posted:

dressage is v complicated

so is replacing a burst 6" main under a slab foundation but I don't see anybody voting for mexican plumbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

:bravo:

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
a friend's daughter just started doing dressage. they've finally made a plutocrat out of me.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

LF had a "the governor of alaska is kind of a milf" years before palin looked at veep, you dumb motherfucker

yea that thread gettin necroed was hilarious

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

so is replacing a burst 6" main under a slab foundation but I don't see anybody voting for mexican plumbers

pipe bursting is what you want here

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jonny 290 posted:

LF had a "the governor of alaska is kind of a milf" years before palin looked at veep, you dumb motherfucker

yes, i'm aware and that proves my point

it was resurrected when palin was chosen, and the media ultimately did the same thing discussing about her attractiveness even before a hint of discussion about her policies

she went from being the governor of alaska (who was attractive) to being a vice presidential candidate (who was attractive)

when the narrative about her attractiveness wasn't enough, it shifted to how the silly, silly woman was out of her depth, unlike suave (but flawed) joe biden

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

PCjr sidecar posted:

my favorite moment of the campaign season to date has been romney putting out feelers to run again, funny for the obvious reason but also because apparently motivated by big-money people unhappy with jeb as the presumptive nominee
the guy the big money people really wanted was chris christie and he imploded messily before he could even waddle to the starting line. jeb was an unimpressive governor who last held office in 2006 and has spent the last decade cashing in and buckraking, oh and then theres the matter of his last name

i predict at some low point next year there will be a 'draft mitt' movement

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Stymie posted:

it was resurrected when palin was chosen, and the media ultimately did the same thing discussing about her attractiveness even before a hint of discussion about her policies

she went from being the governor of alaska (who was attractive) to being a vice presidential candidate (who was attractive)

when the narrative about her attractiveness wasn't enough, it shifted to how the silly, silly woman was out of her depth, unlike suave (but flawed) joe biden

yeah this is sexist as hell but it's not like it was going to be easy going. palin was an inexperienced politician with no policy chops whatsoever

does anyone remember how things went for dan quayle? the media crucified that guy for being an idiot. there were no gendered slurs, implied or otherwise, but having an empty head as a VP candidate makes the ticket look bad.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FMguru posted:

the guy the big money people really wanted was chris christie and he imploded messily before he could even waddle to the starting line. jeb was an unimpressive governor who last held office in 2006 and has spent the last decade cashing in and buckraking, oh and then theres the matter of his last name

let's not forget that jeb bush is crazier than hell

he's the converted catholic fanatic who threatened to use state police to seize terry schiavo by force

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

FMguru posted:

i predict at some low point next year there will be a 'draft mitt' movement

he explicitly left the door open to it, too, i can't wait :dance:

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
why are people quoting stymie on the original topic no one should quote stymie about?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Stymie posted:

Her policies never got discussed up front because we already knew them. She was an idiot republican gunslinger, your average Alaska resident. The ONLY reason she was considered at all was b/c the GOP was losing momvotes because theyve been sending their babies to go get cut in half by IEDs for over a decade.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Stymie posted:

i think you're confusing the diamond joe biden character we all know and love (from the onion) with the actual public perception of joe biden back then

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

born on a buy you posted:

why are people quoting stymie on the original topic no one should quote stymie about?

gently caress if i know

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jonny 290 posted:

Her policies never got discussed up front because we already knew them. She was an idiot republican gunslinger, your average Alaska resident. The ONLY reason she was considered at all was b/c the GOP was losing momvotes because theyve been sending their babies to go get cut in half by IEDs for over a decade.

ah, so she was chosen strictly because she was a woman, policies are irrelevant

a sexist narrative, or the sexist-ist narrative?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
that definitely played into it but even years later i still have no clue what the gently caress the mccain campaign was huffing by nominating her

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Necc0 posted:

that definitely played into it but even years later i still have no clue what the gently caress the mccain campaign was huffing by nominating her

they were trying to appeal to PUMAs who were mad that hillary lost the nomination, not realising that "woman" isn't enough to get the female vote

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
whatever it was they were huffing, it paid off in spades because it really exposed to the average voter that democrats can be just as sexist as republicans, if not moreso

so 2016 is going to be a cavalcade of oblivious sexism and i stand by my assertion that the democrats will the most sexist, while the republicans will produce the most absurd sexism

Typical Yosposter
Mar 30, 2015
more like most sexiest op

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Hillary is 45

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Necc0 posted:

two things

1) it was almost the republican convention and they needed a nominee and mccain was adamant about putting his buddy joe lieberman on the ticket and the rest of the party was all no, you cant do that, hes pro choice and oh yeah was a democrat up until 15 minutes ago and mccain said but i really want him and they said no and back and forth until it was just before the convention and a choice had to be made and they had no time to do a proper search or vetting process

2) it was obvious that they were on the path to losing in the fall. obama had built this enormous money machine and was filling arenas and stadiums for his speeches. he was ahead in the polls and the small fortune the gop spent on a series of negative attacks during the summer had barely scratched his numbers. they figured that if they did the safe thing and nomated some boring midwestern governor like pawlenty they would go down to quiet defeat. so they cast around for a candidate who had the potential to shake up the race, a "game changer" who could reboot the race and inject some excitement and give them a chance. and you know what? it worked for a couple of weeks - the dems were rocked back on their heels, palin became a media darling, and the race tightened. and then palins true record and capability for thinking on her feet came to the fore and she turned into an albatross.

there was also a weird belief that there were huge numbers of disaffected hillary supporters in play after obama beat their gal, and that palin would appeal to them

im inclined to think that her pick was a defensible gamble. they were going to lose so why not take a hail mary shot downfield? unfortunately, most long shots do not pay off, most roulette spins end up losing money for the bettor, and most hail mary throws end up incomplete or intercepted. still it was a better move than simply putting a bowl of oatmeal like pawlenty on the ticket and hoping for the best

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

what are PUMAs?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

what are PUMAs?

it stands for "party unity my rear end" and was used as a shorthand for imaginary women who would refuse to vote for obama because he beat hillary. they were discussed as a serious thing in the summer/fall of 2008.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
it is a not at all sexist thing where women past college age are divided into divided into groups and there is a strong connotation of men wanting to gently caress them

puma is the youngest category, so young professional women

oh yeah and that poo poo

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
palin didn't have any coherent policies to communicate. see what happens when an interviewer tried to get her to articulate one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMhQBlAsLmI

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

FMguru posted:

two things

it just blows me away that a political party vying for control of the world's most powerful force can be that disorganized and gently caress themselves by procrastination of all things. that's for the better though, i guess

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Subjunctive posted:

what are PUMAs?
"party unity, my rear end!" - hilary supporters (middle-aged white women) who were going to vote for the republican candidate instead of that obongo dude because of the shamefully direspectful way he stole the nomination away from their gal hillary (and also because they are racist).

got a lot of media attention (because "democrats in disarray!" is always and forever the story in play) but had no real effect, except to tilt the mccain campaign towards picking palin

lol

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Necc0 posted:

the far right nuts that later became the tea party were starting to get grumbly and cause trouble because bush 2 wasn't conservative enough for them, and mccain was keen to avoid that perception of being too liberal, since he'd been burned by something similar previously. at the same time, the dem frontrunners were a woman and a minority, and the republicans were already having trouble with non white male demographics, so the attack ads would practically write themselves if the gop ticket was "two old rich white men" again

so for his vp he picked a far-right hick who honestly believed the arch-conservative garbage and was willing to come out and say it, but was too dumb to have the political ability to put it into practice, and who was also not an old rich white male. with that, plus his own sudden swing rightward, he hoped he could get the crazies into line while not scaring off too many women and minorities

unfortunately for him, it backfired totally. palin scared off the moderates and centrists, and although the far-right crazies absolutely loved palin, they just ended up hating mccain even more for being a centrist drag who they thought was holding back their glorious conservative hero from the victory she should have been assured

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
republicans were quite surprised when they lost by a landslide twice in a row

chris rock, white person loving up so hard, etc

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Main Paineframe posted:

the republicans were already having trouble with non white male demographics, so the attack ads would practically write themselves if the gop ticket was "two old rich white men" again

apparently jindal has been on the shortlist for the past two republican runs

that's gonna be a scary day if it ever happens (lol it won't)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
whatever dude, you've never heard of the Luck of the Piyush

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i'm grateful for liberals who insist on calling bobby jindal "piyush" because it makes it clear who the liberal racists are

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Respecting somebody's cultural heritage is "racism." Got it.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

you should call people what they want to be called, calling him a name he hasn't used since he was six is some dog whistle "he ain't like us" bullshit

i guess you can take the boy out of arkansas, but you can't take the arkansas out of the boy

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 30, 2015

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'd accept your argument if he had changed his legal name in those 37 years. But he hasn't. So you're wrong.

oh gently caress you, this conversation is over

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
naw names and identities should be respected, even when im doing lowercase i try to respect names

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Boxturret posted:

why are you people talking like the presidential election isn't a giant act orchestrated by the artificial intelligence that secretly runs the world?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

I'd accept your argument if he had changed his legal name in those 37 years. But he hasn't. So you're wrong.

oh gently caress you, this conversation is over

there's also a rumor that they had a weirdo half-catholic half-hindu wedding which would be enough to get him excommunicated

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

JawnV6 posted:

i try to respect names

one time i called a guy Joe Salami (their last name was v similar) and ive never seen anyone loving flip out as hard as he did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pinterest Mom posted:

it stands for "party unity my rear end" and was used as a shorthand for imaginary women who would refuse to vote for obama because he beat hillary. they were discussed as a serious thing in the summer/fall of 2008.

lol one of the best things about the old LF was the hillaryis44.org thread. hoooolllyyy poo poo.

the ant queen with ten thousand cunts

• Locked thread