Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Neither a woman or near Washington so no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Varkk posted:

Neither a woman or near Washington so no.

Not near Auckland Wellington or Christchurch either then I guess.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I'm in Chch, but I don't think I can walk that far

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Varkk posted:

Neither a woman ... so no.

An awful lot of lefty dude bro types are getting all sad over the march for this exact reason. It's kinda laughable tbh

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Golriz Ghahraman is running for parliament this year, and holy poo poo it's bringing out the worst in internet commenters.

On one hand, you have angry islamophobes:

quote:

Refugee shouldnt be allow 2 become pm period n our Country GO back 2 ur own motherland And be Ur pm thete. And im not Racist either

quote:

ANTI USA AND UK....in fact any one white .PRO MUSLIM Heralds financed by Middle East .

quote:

What next, sharia law?.

quote:

what next? a terrorist? jus sayin ...

quote:

go back to iran u bloody terrorist

quote:

Omg this is just the beginning look out kiwis

quote:

Become a MP in your own country not ours u stupid fool
An on the other hand, creepy dudes

quote:

I'll vote for her we need a few more good lookers like her and jacinta adhern in parliament to many ugly cows there

quote:

Il vote for her if she shows hers tits

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Both sides have a valid point imho

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

Every Fairfax and ME """""""""""""""journalist"""""""""""""" still breathing just cracked their knuckles and typed "Peter Done?!?!".

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

slinkimalinki posted:

Anyone going to any of the Women's march on Washington thingies on Saturday?

Huh, I'm going to a conference just down the road from there.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

bike tory posted:

An awful lot of lefty dude bro types are getting all sad over the march for this exact reason. It's kinda laughable tbh

Speaking as a straight white cis male lefty, it's fuckin' hard to keep up any momentum when a solid 95% of the discourse you receive is how, simply by nature of your body, sexuality, and gender expression, you will never be more than tolerated as an inherently lovely, untrustworthy, ultimately valueless "ally." Or maybe my Facebook feed is just depressing.

When I see a thing with "women's" in the title my first thought is usually "best not, I'll probably make people uncomfortable because of what I am."

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I receive plenty of that discourse on SA, but never irl.

Then again, I don't really go to these things so eh.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

When do I receive my award from Canon?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Somfin posted:

Speaking as a straight white cis male lefty, it's fuckin' hard to keep up any momentum when a solid 95% of the discourse you receive is how, simply by nature of your body, sexuality, and gender expression, you will never be more than tolerated as an inherently lovely, untrustworthy, ultimately valueless "ally." Or maybe my Facebook feed is just depressing.

When I see a thing with "women's" in the title my first thought is usually "best not, I'll probably make people uncomfortable because of what I am."
Speaking as a straight white cis male lefty with many activist friends, it's really easy to be a non-lovely, trustworthy ally by realising that you don't have to be involved in everything to prove you're a good ally and being seen as "one of the good ones" shouldn't be something you concern yourself with because feminism isn't a litmus test for male friends that they pass or fail.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
There is a litmus test, but since it's "'don't be a shithead" it is a pretty low bar to clear tbh

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Ghostlight posted:

Speaking as a straight white cis male lefty with many activist friends, it's really easy to be a non-lovely, trustworthy ally by realising that you don't have to be involved in everything to prove you're a good ally and being seen as "one of the good ones" shouldn't be something you concern yourself with because feminism isn't a litmus test for male friends that they pass or fail.

Or you could not be condescended to on the reg by self righteous jerks by just not making other people's problems your own? Definitely seems like an easier option.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Society is everyone's problem.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Lol

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
One day D&D posters will stop whining about identity politics, and this forum might be semi-readable outside of this thread.

Except this thread right now, because it's poo poo.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

El Pollo Blanco posted:

One day D&D posters will stop whining about identity politics, and this forum might be semi-readable outside of this thread.

Except this thread right now, because it's poo poo.

Good loving luck. The doubling down is relentless.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I often forget this thread is even in D&D.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

Good loving luck. The doubling down is relentless.

You seem to be under the impression that you're not the whiny one here, how strange.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

El Pollo Blanco posted:

You seem to be under the impression that you're not the whiny one here, how strange.

Not at all. I enjoy whining, as you seem to enjoy whining about whining.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

I often forget this thread is even in D&D.

Bring back LF so this thread can exist in its natural habitat.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Somfin posted:

I think that's just your Facebook feed. The sort of discourse you're talking about does exist, but it's a fairly small amount of the discourse, and honestly probably outnumbered by things about how toxic masculinity hurts men too and other ways in which left activism tries to include straight cis white male lefties. Or maybe that's just my feed, but either way, at least in my experience, if you are willing to get involved, do the work, and not try to take over the conversation/talk over the people you're supposedly helping (this bit is important), most minority activists will be happy to have you and not give too much of a poo poo about all those things. Identity politics can be a bit tricky to navigate at times, and I say this as someone who is (almost) all of the things you listed yourself as, so I do know where you're coming from, but I think you might be perceiving it as a bit more hostile to people who genuinely want to help out than it actually is.

It's also pretty easy to find angles on which you're being hosed by the current system (because most people are), and if you don't feel comfortable getting involved in race, sex, or gender politics, there's still class politics, health and disability politics (both physical and mental), age politics, prisoner rights, environmental activism, the rights of religious/non-religious minorities, and so on and so on and so on. Odds are you can find at least one angle on which you have personal experience with the system being lovely to you, unless your name is literally Max Key, so maybe look there if you want to be in a movement you feel comfortable being in :)

The Sin of Onan fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 17, 2017

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Sir Bob nails it as usual.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11783845

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Golriz Ghahraman is running for parliament this year, and holy poo poo it's bringing out the worst in internet commenters.

On one hand, you have angry islamophobes:

An on the other hand, creepy dudes

I wish I hadn't read the comments on that this afternoon D:
Golriz is rad as gently caress and I'm glad she's running.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

76% of Herald readers think begging should be made illegal, apparently.

Kill all Herald readers.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

"They use little girls, and I'm a sucker for a little girl coming up to me with pleading eyes."

Ew, Bob.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cptn_dr posted:

I'm taking melatonin these days, and it's been pretty helpful. Stupidly expensive to get in nz, though.

yes and no. i mean $1 a day or so.. cheaper than a coffee or whatever and if it gives you a good sleep?

most people don't buy a months worth of coffee at a time though.. if they did.. they probably wouldnt

WarpedNaba posted:

I tried over-the-counter sleeping pills once, but they did jack poo poo. I'm pretty big, though, so that might have something to do with it.

mate what was it?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

hosed if I know, got it from the Pharmacy on Great South Road opposite the ANZ. Some kinda Blue pill.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anybody know how to go about applying for special consideration from Pharmac? $222 a month isn't pretty as that is basically a meal a day.

WarpedNaba posted:

I tried over-the-counter sleeping pills once, but they did jack poo poo. I'm pretty big, though, so that might have something to do with it.

WarpedNaba posted:

hosed if I know, got it from the Pharmacy on Great South Road opposite the ANZ. Some kinda Blue pill.

Little blue triangle?

I don't think body weight has any bearing on sleeping pills. Have you tried using Ziplocone through your doctor? It works pretty well in the short term but you can grow dependant on it. It's is also super bitter and fucks up your sense of taste until it is out of your system about 6 hours after waking up.

cptn_dr posted:

I'm taking melatonin these days, and it's been pretty helpful. Stupidly expensive to get in nz, though.
melatonin is more for jet lag than something to put you to sleep although it can help. I have tried it myself but it's effectiveness is somewhat questionable for me.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

This just has to be parody on Bob's part.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

klen dool posted:

This just has to be parody on Bob's part.

Yeah, the ruling class tends to keep the blatant stuff away from the microphone.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

It's probably diphenhydramine, sold as Unisom. Blue gel pill? It can be cheaper to get it as a generic antihistamine, it's the same poo poo in the same dose, but it is also kinda crap and you stop getting drowsy from it if you take it a few times in a row.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

sleeping pills long term are generally not a great idea

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah, blue gel pill.

Wouldn't need sleep assistance if my schizophrenic roommate didn't scream at his legs from 10 to 2.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

oohhboy posted:

Anybody know how to go about applying for special consideration from Pharmac? $222 a month isn't pretty as that is basically a meal a day.

Your doctor does it. https://www.pharmac.govt.nz/tools-resources/forms/exceptional-circumstances/#nppa

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shithouse Dave posted:

It's probably diphenhydramine, sold as Unisom. Blue gel pill? It can be cheaper to get it as a generic antihistamine, it's the same poo poo in the same dose, but it is also kinda crap and you stop getting drowsy from it if you take it a few times in a row.

afaik we don't sell it in nz as an "antihistamine", never seen it anywhere outside of unisom and panadol night. it is kinda crap, which is why its restricted rather than prescription only.. which also means it has less risks

oohhboy posted:

Dr does it

quote:

I don't think body weight has any bearing on sleeping pills. Have you tried using Ziplocone through your doctor? It works pretty well in the short term but you can grow dependant on it. It's is also super bitter and fucks up your sense of taste until it is out of your system about 6 hours after waking up.
melatonin is more for jet lag than something to put you to sleep although it can help. I have tried it myself but it's effectiveness is somewhat questionable for me.

Body weight will matter depending on drug.. zopiclone is for all intents and purposes a benzo as far as dependence forming etc.

And melatonin isn't just for jet lag, can be for lots of reasons.. night shift.. and some people's brains are just hosed up

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

Yeah, the ruling class tends to keep the blatant stuff away from the microphone.

Found in my letterbox today because the underclass don't know what circulars means.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I'm going to the march in Wellington, despite not being a woman or even a New Zealandite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

WarpedNaba posted:

I always thought Bob was okay, like not a complete wanker. Perhaps all those things I thought were satirical were actually earnest :(

• Locked thread