Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ya'll need to stop blowing off your tops jfc.

HGH posted:

ResetEra's userbase is 100% sane and normal individuals, models of well adjusted functioning members of society.

Way better than those Neogaf nerds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Turtlicious posted:

Ya'll need to stop blowing off your tops jfc.

A real toss-up for most pathetic detail in the final paragraph: "this man's pet is named Optimus Prime" vs. "this man's pet preemptively flees the area and hides when he's about to play video games"

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

RobotDogPolice posted:

I grew up in the midwest where people are weird about nudity so whenever boobs came up my parents would fast forward or something. They were cool with Titanic though because it was artistic nudity or something. I'm gay so I didn't care. There are rarely dicks in movies so whatever dick shots I got were a precious commodity.

gently caress the ROW posted:

You should watch spartacus lmao

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
In college football, PAC 12 After Dark is a magical time of wild games that nobody on the east coast watches.

The Nards Pan posted:

So many picks in this game I'm going to start looking for people with disabilities hiding under trucks.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

A real toss-up for most pathetic detail in the final paragraph: "this man's pet is named Optimus Prime" vs. "this man's pet preemptively flees the area and hides when he's about to play video games"

I think the fact that his wife refuses to sit in the same room as him while he plays tekken should also be in the running.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Antivehicular posted:

I imagine his children will have the same reaction to gaming consoles, so there's that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
as much as people poo poo on Smash brokebrains, actual FGC brokebrains are way worse

e: or I should say, as much as people's beds get shat on by Smash brokebrains

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Outrail posted:

I imagine his children will have the same reaction to gaming consoles, so there's that.
i was raised by one of those and to this day i can't watch anyone play video games

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
except this was in the early 90s so instead of tekken he was losing his poo poo over like, croc, spyro, crash bandicoot

same general rage levels though

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm glad my dad thinks video games are for children

e: born in '56 so that's probably why.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

I'm glad my dad thinks video games are for children

e: born in '56 so that's probably why.

Well just imagine the alternative. Your dad flipping his poo poo and cursing at like...tennis for two and spacewar.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

the old ceremony posted:

except this was in the early 90s so instead of tekken he was losing his poo poo over like, croc, spyro, crash bandicoot

same general rage levels though

Croc is one of the most inoffensive games ever, jeez

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Improbable Lobster posted:

Croc is one of the most inoffensive games ever, jeez
he would make me play it while he sat there and watched, and every time croc died he'd start yelling and screaming at me. i was 6

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i'd also get in trouble if i did the spinny thing with crash bandicoot to break a box before i'd collected all the fruit, if a bit of fruit whizzed offscreen he'd lose his poo poo and i'd be banished from the playstation for the rest of the weekend

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
pokemon pinball was a big deal too

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i have clear memories of him storming out the back and building a fire (like a campfire) in the yard because pokemon pinball was conspiring against him so he was going to burn it, i was hiding in my room listening to my mother plead with him not to burn the gameboy because it didn't even belong to him, it had been my birthday present. "i loving paid for it!" he shouted, although in fact he hadn't

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

the old ceremony posted:

i'd also get in trouble if i did the spinny thing with crash bandicoot to break a box before i'd collected all the fruit, if a bit of fruit whizzed offscreen he'd lose his poo poo and i'd be banished from the playstation for the rest of the weekend

What the gently caress

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i was not allowed to play games during the school week but for at least an hour after school i would be made to sit on the lounge in dead silence (i wasn't allowed to speak because it broke his concentration) and watch him play

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Jesus loving Christ

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
anyway that's why i'm not a gamer

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

the old ceremony posted:

:sympathy:

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
forever traumatised by tooty the feeble

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
So I watched my dad play Orion and Masters of Magic as a kid and we had a good time. I never realized how lucky I was. Or even that it was a situation where I should consider luck.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
let's plays are cool :shobon:

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
anyway this went on for many years and there was only ever one occasion where i was allowed to play on a weekday without being watched, and that was when i was home sick from school on september 11, 2001. so to this day i associate spyro 1 and 2 with mild domestic terror, and spyro 3 with the death of thousands and the grisly dreadful birth of the twenty first century

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

the old ceremony posted:

anyway this went on for many years and there was only ever one occasion where i was allowed to play on a weekday without being watched, and that was when i was home sick from school on september 11, 2001. so to this day i associate spyro 1 and 2 with mild domestic terror, and spyro 3 with the death of thousands and the grisly dreadful birth of the twenty first century
Same but not for that reason

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

the old ceremony posted:

If he's still alive we give you permission to break your dads thumbs because what the gently caress.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the old ceremony posted:

:stare: this series of posts is like that "both parents were charles manson, had the word "homo" instead of a mouth (long story)" quote except real

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I remember being like 4 years old and playing Dr. Mario with my mom and I think for most of my early childhood I was never happier than that. Not that I had a bad childhood, I just really liked hangin’ with Mom doing Nintendo.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

This thread took a strange E/N turn.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
Keep going, they're literally never going to figure out that you're joking

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Pokemon Pinball was hellishly frustrating, that's really unfortunate that he found that one to latch on to in particular because it would have been poison for someone like that.

For reference, it demanded 100% focus and was completely unforgiving about it. Even if you got good at bumping the table to alter the ball's path (assuming it's not bouncing too fast or too buggily) you risked getting a tilt. No matter how many unlikely things had lined up to catch that Mew -- I remember being one bounce away once -- you were always one unlucky moment away from the ball going somewhere unrecoverable, game-over-ing, and losing your progress. It could make normal people scream at it. Why, game? Why?

edit: In hindsight it's clear now a simple "save" feature was all Pokemon Pinball needed. At least give a poor kid the benefit of backup save states, when all the other games of the time have real cheat codes. Without even changing anything else 100% of the frustration would be gone. Modern games take note.

I couldn't handle the confusion and frustration of that one as a kid and my game boy took a beating (those things must have been overbuilt by quite a lot). But I was 13 years old. An adult should have life priorities by then and know to just walk away from something that's engineered to be a bad experience instead of letting it consume you and turn you into a stupid abusive poo poo monster to your confused kids. If you're not joking, it's tragic that you had to put up with that around the house. Video games are supposed to be these elaborate futuristic worlds that provide a good escape from all that poo poo, and it couldn't be for you.

Happy Thread has a new favorite as of 22:14 on Oct 29, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

the old ceremony posted:

Buy your dad an account, he sounds like a way better troll than you.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I believe them, because Pokemon Pinball being the breaking point sounds real and the 9/11 bit is too weird to make up

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Magnus Manfist posted:

even if it's a lie, it made me feel an emotion...and isn't that...what really matters?

i'm kent brockman

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Magnus Manfist posted:

My life is set believing his/her/other's canon existence

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

the old ceremony posted:

Same, but with crash bandicoot thanks to this tweet

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/907445802368360448

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lowtax posted:

Got this new warning from AdSense:

Congrats on your violent pedophilia, gents!!!

frank.club posted:

so do we get to take turns co hosting your lp's now or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Das Boo posted:

So I watched my dad play Orion and Masters of Magic as a kid and we had a good time. I never realized how lucky I was. Or even that it was a situation where I should consider luck.
None of the kids will cool parents who involve them realize how lucky they were. None of them.