Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What I’ll probably do is just book some backup hotel rooms so I am covered and then cancel them once the hotel I want opens up. Thankfully hotels are good about that.

This is my first trip out to Hakone and I want it to be SUGOI MAGICAL NEEEE ^______^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
no offense but Hakone was hit hard by the last typhoon and having issues recovering; their onsen source was blocked and probably still is.

Hakone also has so many travelers as well that you lose out on a lot.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wouldn’t be offended by that at all, it’s good to know in fact. Thanks for letting me know!

I’ll see how it’s doing closer to May and make up my mind then.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Finally back in Japan. First thing's first: cheapo train sushi and claw games because I am garbage.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Yawgmoft posted:

Finally back in Japan. First thing's first: cheapo train sushi and claw games because I am garbage. doing it right.

:unsmith:

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Yawgmoft posted:

Finally back in Japan. First thing's first: cheapo train sushi and claw games because I am garbage.

Just lol at claiming to be garbage without doing a Hub > Family Mart > Gas Panic course every day

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Yeah my first task when I arrive in Feb is get a strawberry sandwich as soon as I land in Narita.

FireDooley
Apr 30, 2013
Hello everyone, another quick question. We are going to visit Odaiba and Teamlab borderless tomorrow from Shinjuku and I see that there is a train that goes directly to Tokyo Teleport station but that not all of it is covered on the JR pass. Do we need to get off at the Rinkai line station and pay for a ticket or do you pay when you leave the station?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm trying to plan a replacement for Hakone and I'm in analysis paralysis. Too many options.

Essentially just want to do a reasonably priced ryokan with onsen privileges. A picturesque quiet town would be nice so I don't really want to just do some random onsen in Tokyo or Kyoto. Right now I'm narrowing down to maybe Kawagoe, Karuizawa, or Nikko. Based entirely on "onsen town" youtube searches. Any super obvious suggestions I'm missing? I think this is a fairly common travel request, just that Hakone eats 90% of google results for onsen towns.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Martytoof posted:

I'm trying to plan a replacement for Hakone and I'm in analysis paralysis. Too many options.

Essentially just want to do a reasonably priced ryokan with onsen privileges. A picturesque quiet town would be nice so I don't really want to just do some random onsen in Tokyo or Kyoto. Right now I'm narrowing down to maybe Kawagoe, Karuizawa, or Nikko. Based entirely on "onsen town" youtube searches. Any super obvious suggestions I'm missing? I think this is a fairly common travel request, just that Hakone eats 90% of google results for onsen towns.

Try Kurama or Kibune, north of Kyoto. I've also been to Shibu, but it'd quite out of the way unless your itinerary already brings you to that region.

EDIT: Autocorrect, lol

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 24, 2019

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Try Kurama or Kibune, north of Kyoto. I've also been to Shiny, but it'd quite out of the way unless your itinerary already brings you to that region.

If you go to one, the hike/walk to the other is very pleasant, assuming that the route is open.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Gunma has got you covered.
https://gunma-dc.net/onsen

I think I translated this
http://minakamikan.com/en/

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
kinosaki in northern hyogo is pretty nice, just a bit far from everything

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks everyone, gives me some good spots to start looking at.

I was looking at Kinosaki and don't necessarily mind the travel but it was lower on my list because of it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

peanut posted:

Gunma has got you covered.
https://gunma-dc.net/onsen

I think I translated this
http://minakamikan.com/en/

I really like Takaragawa in Minakami. https://www.takaragawa.com/english.html

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

kawaii af in the snow

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
If you're down to go out to northern Gifu, just the other day I stayed at Yamaboushi (山ぼうし) in Okuhida Onsen (between Takayama and Matsumoto) which I think Ntan1 suggested, and holy crap it was lovely. It's got one public and two private (free) outdoor baths which are really nice, and my room had a working irori fire pit in it — I sat in front of the little fire drinking sake and it was dope. Everything felt really on point.

I've gotten quite lucky with snow at onsens — both last year in Nikko and this year in Okuhida Onsen, it snowed the night I arrived, so I got to relax in the onsen while snow was coming down around me, and the following morning everything was super pretty. :3:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FireDooley posted:

Hello everyone, another quick question. We are going to visit Odaiba and Teamlab borderless tomorrow from Shinjuku and I see that there is a train that goes directly to Tokyo Teleport station but that not all of it is covered on the JR pass. Do we need to get off at the Rinkai line station and pay for a ticket or do you pay when you leave the station?

Yeah, it’s confusing. The JR Saikyo line goes through Osaki station to the Rinkai, so it’s seamless if you’re using Pasmo/Suica.

I would hop out at Osaki and then go back in, otherwise you’ll have to Have A Conversation at Tokyo Teleport.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Glad it worked out!

FireDooley
Apr 30, 2013

harperdc posted:

Yeah, it’s confusing. The JR Saikyo line goes through Osaki station to the Rinkai, so it’s seamless if you’re using Pasmo/Suica.

I would hop out at Osaki and then go back in, otherwise you’ll have to Have A Conversation at Tokyo Teleport.

Yeah we ended up just going to the JR booth at Tokyo Teleport and they were already prepared to handle confused foreigners going to Teamlab so we just paid there, thanks!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

Yeah my first task when I arrive in Feb is get a strawberry sandwich as soon as I land in Narita.

That sounds potentially unhealthy, but quite delicious

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Literally first thing I want when I land is some choco-pan and some ito en from 711

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration
I miss Coolish.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
The first thing I'm getting when I go back in '21 is like ten onigiri and a Super CC Lemon from 7-11.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Carbonara from Lawsons for me

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Melon pan (or a donut) and some oi ocha was my breakfast every morning last time and I need it desperately

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

BB2K posted:

kinosaki in northern hyogo is pretty nice, just a bit far from everything

Worth going? I'm planning to take a friend there when I show her around Japan so I can fit her requirements for "I want to go to an onsen", "i want to go somewhere rural" (i couldn't find an airbnb in Saga lol), and "I know tattoos aren't ok in onsen but mine will all be covered by a swimsuit" (I will always treasure the look on her face when I disillusioned her about the swimsuit). Kinosaki is supposed to be tattoo friendly so seemed like a good choice.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

slinkimalinki posted:

(i couldn't find an airbnb in Saga lol)

Don't think there's ANYTHING in Saga.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

Don't think there's ANYTHING in Saga.

There are roads which can take you to more interesting places, and there are rice paddies to almost fall into while driving around. Some hot springs and one good festival.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just booked my AirBnBs. Staying two blocks from Namba station in Osaka, and a few blocks off Ueno station in Tokyo. Haven’t really explored the Ueno area that much so it should be a good time. I ended up splitting 8 days in Osaka and 14 in Tokyo despite being adamant I wanted to spend less time in Tokyo this time. I’m squaring it away by saying I’m doing a lot more day trips out of the city so I should be good.

I am PUMPED but my credit card is making a slight sizzling noise in my wallet right now..

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 27, 2019

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
What's a good place/chain to buy DVDs or Blu Rays from? I have a few old/obscure movies I want to get while I'm here but the first place I tried had only recent western films and the second was only rental.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
if you want new could try a big tsutaya, though some are only rental i think

a good bookoff is probably better and cheaper too, as long as you dont mind second hand stuff

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yawgmoft posted:

What's a good place/chain to buy DVDs or Blu Rays from? I have a few old/obscure movies I want to get while I'm here but the first place I tried had only recent western films and the second was only rental.

Find a big Book-Off, if they’re old. You’ll have better luck there.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Just make sure you know what the name looks like since as far as I can tell there's no sorting for genre or anything besides syllabically

Frank Dux
Jun 19, 2005

Xad posted:

Melon pan (or a donut) and some oi ocha was my breakfast every morning last time and I need it desperately

Just had this myself for the first time at the 7-11 next to my hotel with a hot Boss coffee latte. It really is amazing.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Mate wait till you try some from a real bakery

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Melon pan from random nice looking bakeries have been my breakfast workhorse before going through Nagano and Gifu prefectures, where they were replaced with eating Oyaki with whatever fillings for breakfast everyday. I've also been feeling those vending machine Hōji-cha bottles over the standard Oi Ocha this time around, maybe because it's cold. :shrug:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

broke: melon pan
woke: kare pan

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I never really enjoyed melon pan but maybe I just never had a good one. It always just came off as bland bun that was sprinkled in sugar. Which maybe would have been fun if I hadn’t had my expectations heightened for years hearing about it.

Discovering kare pan on the other hand was life changing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I never really enjoyed melon pan but maybe I just never had a good one. It always just came off as bland bun that was sprinkled in sugar. Which maybe would have been fun if I hadn’t had my expectations heightened for years hearing about it.

Discovering kare pan on the other hand was life changing.

Good ones are definitely better.

The ones with melon cream are great.