Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The only toll road in Atlanta was a small 6 or so mile stretch that connected the busy midtown area with with busy suburbs. When the bonds were paid off they made the road free.

That seems a better take on this. It's so odd to go through states with toll roads and the roads suck. Like I'm not sure what they're spending this money on, but it's not the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Phanatic posted:

Lots of states have tollways. If you want to get from Philadelphia to Harrisburg, there are all sorts of public roads you can take. Or you can take the Turnpike, aka the "rich people get to drive faster" road. I'm not sure what the meaningful difference is between that and a toll lane on a non-toll highway.

In Texas (Austin just opened their's) there are toll LANES on public roads. Not a tollway purposefully built somewhere off the main lanes (To note: We do have actual tollways. 183A (I can't even type that without retching), 45, 130.). No. Take your existing 3-4 lane highway, do construction on it for double the time you said it was going to take (loving up existing traffic for loving ages) to add a lane that is ridiculously expensive (when busy, the toll is as high as $9.00) and that we are encouraged NOT TO loving USE (really! "Hey, this is only for when you really need to get somewhere! Don't use it otherwise!"). This is the "rich person's lane" we are talking about.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
to be fair texas openly hates poor people and is pretty unapologetic about it

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

topenga posted:

In Texas (Austin just opened their's) there are toll LANES on public roads. Not a tollway purposefully built somewhere off the main lanes (To note: We do have actual tollways. 183A (I can't even type that without retching), 45, 130.). No. Take your existing 3-4 lane highway, do construction on it for double the time you said it was going to take (loving up existing traffic for loving ages) to add a lane that is ridiculously expensive (when busy, the toll is as high as $9.00) and that we are encouraged NOT TO loving USE (really! "Hey, this is only for when you really need to get somewhere! Don't use it otherwise!"). This is the "rich person's lane" we are talking about.

This comes from federal grants for road construction, that gave states quite a bit of free money for roadway expansion if they showed a plan for ensuring an average speed of 45 mph or greater, for 90% of the time the road is open. That can only really work if you have a mechanism for severely limiting access during rush hour. Combine that with persistent underfunding of infrastructure, and it's not surprising that a lot of states rushed towards dynamic tolling. The $9 toll sounds like "gently caress you stay out" because that's exactly what it's supposed to mean.

It's not all bad, though. The same program requires that it can't be exclusively pay-for-play - they also have to let high-occupancy vehicles in for free. And, that means buses get much faster, more reliable freeway service. It's not quite as good as true bus-only lanes or separate grade light rail service, but as long as people are scared of transit and vote against genuine transit infrastructure, it's about as good a positive step as you can expect.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Space Gopher posted:

This comes from federal grants for road construction, that gave states quite a bit of free money for roadway expansion if they showed a plan for ensuring an average speed of 45 mph or greater, for 90% of the time the road is open. That can only really work if you have a mechanism for severely limiting access during rush hour. Combine that with persistent underfunding of infrastructure, and it's not surprising that a lot of states rushed towards dynamic tolling. The $9 toll sounds like "gently caress you stay out" because that's exactly what it's supposed to mean.

It's not all bad, though. The same program requires that it can't be exclusively pay-for-play - they also have to let high-occupancy vehicles in for free. And, that means buses get much faster, more reliable freeway service. It's not quite as good as true bus-only lanes or separate grade light rail service, but as long as people are scared of transit and vote against genuine transit infrastructure, it's about as good a positive step as you can expect.

Right now, it seems pretty loving horrible. Yes, there is a bus--one bus-- that uses the lane. From my quick research I don't even see mention of having 2+ person vehicles able to use it for free/discount. Starting this month, they will add 5 more buses. The same bus system that is horrible broken. The routes that will use the express lane are aimed at getting people from north suburbs (Leaner, Cedar Park, Round Rock) to downtown. Do you live/work south, east or west? Tough. Austin believes that people only ever work downtown and only care about North-South routes. As long as you want to go downtown. Because downtown is the loving mecca, right? gently caress me for working for a growing company that doesn't want to pay high downtown leasing rates (or the Domain, oh god how I wish we were at the Domain), I guess.

I'm really not trying to be contrary, it's just that I loving live here and have for 42.5 years and I am LIVID about how they handle public transport in this goddamn town. You seem to be coming from a place of "hey, this is how it's supposed to work so it's not all that bad!" When I'm seeing how it's actually (not) working because Jesus gently caress we can't do anything right. If it worked the way you spelled it out, it probably wouldn't be so bad.

KingSlime posted:

I think it's part of our constitution.

topenga fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 6, 2018

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Moneyball posted:

Be like Massachusetts and have the governor give you a choice between raising the gas tax or tolls, pick tolls, then have the gas tax raised too. And still have the worst roads in the country.
Do we have a "that's government" smiley?

The only reason you should ever think Mass has the worst roads in the country is if you're thinking Rhode Island is apart of Massachusetts.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

topenga posted:

Right now, it seems pretty loving horrible. Yes, there is a bus--one bus-- that uses the lane. From my quick research I don't even see mention of having 2+ person vehicles able to use it for free/discount. Starting this month, they will add 5 more buses. The same bus system that is horrible broken. The routes that will use the express lane are aimed at getting people from north suburbs (Leaner, Cedar Park, Round Rock) to downtown. Do you live/work south, east or west? Tough. Austin believes that people only ever work downtown and only care about North-South routes. As long as you want to go downtown. Because downtown is the loving mecca, right? gently caress me for working for a growing company that doesn't want to pay high downtown leasing rates (or the Domain, oh god how I wish we were at the Domain), I guess.

I'm really not trying to be contrary, it's just that I loving live here and have for 42.5 years and I am LIVID about how they handle public transport in this goddamn town. You seem to be coming from a place of "hey, this is how it's supposed to work so it's not all that bad!" When I'm seeing how it's actually (not) working because Jesus gently caress we can't do anything right. If it worked the way you spelled it out, it probably wouldn't be so bad.

I think it's part of our constitution.

Sounds like you found your platform to run for office. God speed and good luck.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

KingSlime posted:

Somehow their teacher pay is really high compared to other parts of the country. At least in San Antonio.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Yet another Ponzi scheme going around. "yes, a pyramid, but whatever"

And more #BossBabe math

That's $3500 in sales, not revenue. In an MLM even higher tiers of the pyramid are lucky to get 20% commission (most get less than 10%), so maximum $700 across the entire team for 6 months = $117 per month. Before expenses and taxes. So these people probably lost money, and they definitely made way less than minimum wage.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Youth Decay posted:

Yet another Ponzi scheme going around. "yes, a pyramid, but whatever"

Wait, I don't get this. Isn't this literally just a bunch of people giving you money for some reason?

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

please knock Mom! posted:

Wait, I don't get this. Isn't this literally just a bunch of people giving you money for some reason?

I don't understand why you don't want to do it.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The purest form of capitalism. Drink it up!

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

It is the pyramid scheme.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_scheme#The_"eight_ball"_model

I had always thought that a pyramid scheme was Amway, but the money-only no-goods is the more basic pyramid scheme (and what is actually illegal, I think).

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah I was just baffled at how transparent it is, but apparently there really is a sucker born every minute.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I remember chain letter versions where there was a list of ten or twenty people, and you were supposed to send money to the person at the top, then add yourself at the bottom- with the promise that as you forwarded the letter you would eventually get paid out by other people

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Ashcans posted:

I remember chain letter versions where there was a list of ten or twenty people, and you were supposed to send money to the person at the top, then add yourself at the bottom- with the promise that as you forwarded the letter you would eventually get paid out by other people

Having read a book (False Profits by Joyce K. Reynolds) it seems to rely heavily on a form of mysticism that the money given up the chain will somehow spontaneously regenerate because of alignment with the universe and the power of positive thinking or somewhat.

It's very strange, but they know their victims well, and the "new age" crowd who practise this mysticism have been proven to be very credulous and trusting of these snakes.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Having read a book (False Profits by Joyce K. Reynolds) it seems to rely heavily on a form of mysticism that the money given up the chain will somehow spontaneously regenerate because of alignment with the universe and the power of positive thinking or somewhat.

It's very strange, but they know their victims well, and the "new age" crowd who practise this mysticism have been proven to be very credulous and trusting of these snakes.

This new brand of "pure" pyramid schemes seems targeted towards lower-income minorities (I posted one several pages ago that had stereotypical Hispanic names in the "example" pyramid diagram) rather than the positive thinking woo types. Those ones go for the MLMs selling snake oil.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Youth Decay posted:

This new brand of "pure" pyramid schemes seems targeted towards lower-income minorities (I posted one several pages ago that had stereotypical Hispanic names in the "example" pyramid diagram)

I remember that picture -- one of the names was pollo. Not even capitalized.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Photex posted:

The only reason you should ever think Mass has the worst roads in the country is if you're thinking Rhode Island is apart of Massachusetts.

I was going to say "Michigan"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

I remember that picture -- one of the names was pollo. Not even capitalized.

Capital Chicken sounds like a straight to video animated film from the 90's.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Yet ANOTHER pyramid, the "blessing loom".

And another hunbot who thinks making $80 a month before taxes and expenses is a really great deal.

Totally not a cult, guys.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

RedStateEducation.txt

quote:

Hey guys! As the title says, I'm a 20 year old who has dreams of living in Southern California. I assume most of you know that they don't really teach cost of living or how to calculate how much you need to make in order to live comfortably in a more expensive state. Currently, I live in South Dakota and make $13/hr without a degree. I have no idea where to even start because it seems impossible to afford living in California if half of what I hear is true. I don't know how much money I'd make in California if I were doing the same thing there. Do they pay you more because the cost of living is higher? Where is a safe, yet affordable place to rent? Is everything really that much more expensive? If so, then how does anybody else live there that is in my same situation? Thank you for reading and I appreciate any information!

pretend it's all bold.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

More bold text

dubby324 posted:

I work at The UPS Store as a Sales Associate and Notary Public, but there were talks of promoting me to Assistant Manager last week, so I could be getting a raise soon. I’m not picky about where I live as long as it’s in Southern California. I just love the atmosphere and the general feeling of Southern California. There’s always poo poo going on and it’s just a nice change of pace to living in South Dakota. Where I live, nothing is exciting. The people are dull and uninteresting, the scenery is bland and dry, and I just can’t take it anymore

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Oh god reading that post is exactly what it felt like to catch up with friends from back home who, at 30, still live in the exact same neighborhood they were born in

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Is his situation really that BWM? He lives in South Dakota, I’d be trying to escape too.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
It's like the people who hit up forums for residents of Japan saying "it's been my dream to move to Japan and become a manga artist ever since I watched Naruto! I only have a high school education and $800 to my name but I can totes get by in Tokyo for a few weeks until I find a job right?"

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Trustworthy posted:

Maybe if I think of them as toll roads with a subsidized free lane for the poor I can convince myself that the concept isn't some evil capitalist dystopian poo poo

(but probably not)
If you hear the phrase "Public Private Partnership" that is exactly what they mean. Get ready to hear it a lot over the next while.

In BWM news that relates to this, 10 years ago Indiana sold off the I-80-90 turnpike to an international consortium of fuckheads for 99 years in exchange for a few Billion dollars. Indiana then used the money to greatly improve the I-465 loop around Indianapolis and start building a southern extension of I-69. Well now Indiana is out of money and wants to toll I-465 which they just finished building, and adding tolls would cost just about as much as they would earn.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Weatherman posted:

It's like the people who hit up forums for residents of Japan saying "it's been my dream to move to Japan and become a manga artist ever since I watched Naruto! I only have a high school education and $800 to my name but I can totes get by in Tokyo for a few weeks until I find a job right?"

According to his other posts he was just caught smoking marijuana by his neighbor a month ago.

I think I may have an idea on his motivation.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Weatherman posted:

Is being a notary per-state or transferable?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Vox Nihili posted:

According to his other posts he was just caught smoking marijuana by his neighbor a month ago.

I think I may have an idea on his motivation.

not the worst reason to move to california

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Doc Hawkins posted:

Is being a notary per-state or transferable?

per-state, and the requirements vary quite a bit. All you need to become a notary in SD is $30, a small bond and the notary supplies. If you're thinking to yourself "I bet California is much more complicated" you'd be correct.
https://www.nationalnotary.org/california

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

It's not like being a notary is super special, but it would help with some jobs. I know banks have a lot of notaries, also helps with any sort of office assistant or bookkeeper type jobs.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm a notary public but I don't think I've ever actually done anything with it. I may have notarized another employee's notary application and that's it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I was a Notary. I had to say a pledge and I got a kick rear end embosser.

It's neither tough nor exclusive.

Still not bad to have on a resume. If the job requires it, you just saved them a few dollars and the hassle of getting you setup. Plus I think you can't be felon or even commit some misdemeanors and be a notary so it's like a cheap background check.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 8, 2018

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
If an employer needs you to be a notary they'll pay for you to become one.

I'm reminder of the American kid with a bachelor in French who thought she might move to Canada since the government there needed French speakers. It might seem like a qualification, but it really isn't.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
It looks like the anal wine didn't age well.

Notary certification in my state is a1 house online course and short written online test, plus paying a small fee. I doubt all but the very cheapest of employers would look at it as a skill or asset that the employee beings to the table.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Some days I fantasize about finding a small start up company that thinks being a Medallion signature guarantor and a notary is worth dropping $400k a year on. Just sit at a desk and sign and stamp stuff. No one in the company quite knows why they need me, but they know they can't just sign it.

But I dream....

MaiaN
Aug 18, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Some days I fantasize about finding a small start up company that thinks being a Medallion signature guarantor and a notary is worth dropping $400k a year on. Just sit at a desk and sign and stamp stuff. No one in the company quite knows why they need me, but they know they can't just sign it.

But I dream....

GWM: being a notary in Spain. A cursory search says ~150.000€, while the median in Spain for 2015 was 19.000€.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I do have Spanish heritage....don't speak Spanish though. I'm sure I could make that work though. Do you think an Illinois notary is transferable to Spain?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Notaries in civil law jurisdiction are pretty much attorneys, they draw up contracts and do wills, poo poo like that.

Here in Quebec they basically need a law degrees. They just don't take the bar.

There's something else for just stamping signatures.