Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

It does feel like it tied into the other X-men books, but maybe it did not. Maybe I am just remembering it that way because the story is suddenly dominated by tons of Avengers characters fighting kaiju stuff that is so bland the details are just worn away.

You would think the ending allowing them to resurrect any mutant from any point even before Cerebro recorded them would have come up but I don't remember if it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Current GL Tier List based on how DC portrays them:

Hal

John, Jo

Jessica, Guy, Alan

Kyle

No I didn't forget anyone. DC did

Hey, they didn't forget about Teen Lantern!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I read the current Catwoman series up to the point where the renumber the trades, which I assume is going to be a fairly firm break.

I didn't really like it.

What really struck me when I got to the end was how little it had done to set up Catwoman's supporting cast. There are only two new villains in it. One of them was a crime lord lady who was secretly really ugly, who died. The other was a failed Azrael turned Catholic murderer for hire, who doesn't die. He's fine as a recurring villain but he recurs so loving much and gets so much goddamn page time, way more than such a mid villain deserves. And he doesn't really have any specific connection to Catwoman, he's more just like a floating villain who can now turn up in any book.

And on the ally side, Catwoman befriends a cop, who dies. We get a flashback to the time she trained a group of youths to be thieves, who all died. She trains another group of youths to be thieves, and they all die. She trains a third group of youths to be thieves, and these don't die! But the only one of them with a memorable character design ends up becoming Cheshire's protégé. Six goddamn volumes of Catwoman and at the end the only new ally she has gained ends up being supporting cast for loving Cheshire instead.

I know that not every story needs to add to the mythos, but in Catwoman's case, doesn't it? At least a little bit? You want her to be more than a Batman sidestory, she needs her own stuff. And it's not like the stories we get here are amazing. They're fine. There's even a couple cool heist scenes. But they are very repetitive. You could get one really good standalone Catwoman OGN out of these six volumes of an ongoing.

There was also a very strange focus on showing Catwoman get hurt. Every single fight, she gets cut. Often several times. It's just weird. I've never seen another superhero comic show the lead take so much damage.

You guys were saying that after this she gets powers from a cat god and goes to space, and that makes total sense. I can understand why the writer who took over was like, "well, we gotta do something with Catwoman"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I read the current Catwoman series up to the point where the renumber the trades, which I assume is going to be a fairly firm break.

I didn't really like it.

What really struck me when I got to the end was how little it had done to set up Catwoman's supporting cast. There are only two new villains in it. One of them was a crime lord lady who was secretly really ugly, who died. The other was a failed Azrael turned Catholic murderer for hire, who doesn't die. He's fine as a recurring villain but he recurs so loving much and gets so much goddamn page time, way more than such a mid villain deserves. And he doesn't really have any specific connection to Catwoman, he's more just like a floating villain who can now turn up in any book.

And on the ally side, Catwoman befriends a cop, who dies. We get a flashback to the time she trained a group of youths to be thieves, who all died. She trains another group of youths to be thieves, and they all die. She trains a third group of youths to be thieves, and these don't die! But the only one of them with a memorable character design ends up becoming Cheshire's protégé. Six goddamn volumes of Catwoman and at the end the only new ally she has gained ends up being supporting cast for loving Cheshire instead.

I know that not every story needs to add to the mythos, but in Catwoman's case, doesn't it? At least a little bit? You want her to be more than a Batman sidestory, she needs her own stuff. And it's not like the stories we get here are amazing. They're fine. There's even a couple cool heist scenes. But they are very repetitive. You could get one really good standalone Catwoman OGN out of these six volumes of an ongoing.

There was also a very strange focus on showing Catwoman get hurt. Every single fight, she gets cut. Often several times. It's just weird. I've never seen another superhero comic show the lead take so much damage.

You guys were saying that after this she gets powers from a cat god and goes to space, and that makes total sense. I can understand why the writer who took over was like, "well, we gotta do something with Catwoman"

There's also the woman who ended up as Yakuza boss that ran around as Catwoman when Selina did her own stint leading a whole organized crime family but then went back to being a Yakuza full time after Selina took the mantle back.

I do forget what all ended up happening with her sister as well as she was also attempted to be established as part of Selina's backstory

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Xelkelvos posted:

There's also the woman who ended up as Yakuza boss that ran around as Catwoman when Selina did her own stint leading a whole organized crime family but then went back to being a Yakuza full time after Selina took the mantle back.

I do forget what all ended up happening with her sister as well as she was also attempted to be established as part of Selina's backstory

I don’t think the yakuza lady was in this run. There is a part with a bunch of fake Catwomen, but that’s just a scheme to get Selina’s attention.

The sister gets better and leaves Selina’s life because it’s too dangerous.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Xelkelvos posted:

Is that the one Selina was briefly involved with?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
If you think DC's Wonder Woman is a political book, then you're identifying with the villains waaaaaay too much, says writer Tom King

https://www.thepopverse.com/wonder-woman-political-dc-tom-king-sovereign-book-may-2024

quote:

Is good vs. evil political? That answer might depend on whether or not you find yourself identifying more with the villains than the heroes. For some - especially in these politically charged times - DC's Wonder Woman title as written by Tom King is a pointedly political book. For writer Tom King, however, it's anything but.

"I don’t see Wonder Woman as a specifically political book, I see it as a superhero book. I may just be an idiot," King says with a laugh to Popverse's Sam Stone. "What is Wonder Woman fighting for? She’s fighting for equality, love, and all the things I was taught as a kid in the ‘80s that were the ideal things and that my mother was taught in the ‘50s and all the things my grandmother, who helped raise me, was taught in the ‘40s. I don’t see it as being political."

King and artist Daniel Sampere's Wonder Woman run, which began in 2023, features Wonder Woman and other Amazons being persecuted and judged by the media, with a new villain called the Sovereign behind it all. King says "too many people are associating" the Sovereign with themselves.

"I’m like 'You’re not the bad guy! Just like you’re not Lex Luthor or the Joker, you are not the Sovereign,'" says King. "There are definitely political undertones to it and there will always be people who are trying to be lovely that we can’t get rid of, that’s the reason why superhero comics work. But, for the most part, I’m still on the side of Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, that superheroes fight bad guys, and this is a bad guy. I don’t see it as more complicated than that."

King says that not all villains he's written shouldn't be worth identifying with - and we're not just talking about his Batman/Elmer Fudd crossover.

"I don’t want to say that Sovereign is completely evil, but I do consider him to be a Joker-level villain," says King. "When I write the Joker, I understand there’s a certain glory in imagining yourself to be a serial killer, like there’s a certain glory in imagining yourself to be the King of America with infinite power. But, at the end of the day, you want that villain to get punched in the face because they deserve it."

King describes Sovereign as representing "the status quo, that system, the power, the man, whatever you want to call that thing that, when you’re born, is the great power that you’ll be fighting with for the rest of time." In essence, it's the legacy forces that prevent things from becoming a better world for everyone.

"When you go out into the world, you find out you’re constantly being restricted by 400 years of history that has nothing to do with you and now it’s defining you," says King. "It’s like, 'I didn’t get a say in any of this!'"

Thoughts?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

He's probably getting poo poo from right wingers, and he has to act like it's not about them.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Sounds like he's reacting to the label of being political in a Twitter-mob pejorative sense, as in "Why are you forcing politics into comics? Why can't you just write comics without politics like they did in the good old days of 1942?" Which is a bit of a shame, because comics being political can be a great thing that ought to be borne with pride.

Though his impression that some readers are projecting themselves onto Sovereign is pretty strange, 'cuz I haven't seen that from...like, anyone anywhere. But maybe the algorithm has corralled him into a corner of Twitter comments that I am thankfully protected from. Mostly. :geno:

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 15, 2024

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Tom King is writing a new Jenny Sparks series. An evil Captain Atom is the bad guy. Real original there.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The main complaint I've seen (though this could be echo chamber) is that it's kind of hosed up to make a comic about the American Empire and real world history and just sort of go "yeah, the murder and displacement and mistreatment of the native peoples of the Americas for the past several centuries? It was a supervillain trying to steal a magic lasso! And after he got that lasso, every bad thing done since then -- chattel slavery, the continued genocide against native people, the Civil War, all of the political assassinations and Jim Crow and imperial wars, you name it: it's because of an evil magic lasso and the lineage of dudes who held the magic lasso that magically compelled both leaders and the common man into doing bad things."

It is a Choice to imply or state that the Sovereign and the Lasso of Lies is why Lincoln and MLK got killed, it compelled police to be brutal to Civil Rights protestors, every Bad War the US entered into was because the presidents and generals were threatened and bullied into doing it by a shadowy leader. It is also pretty inherently political, but maybe not in the way King seems to think people think it is.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Outsiders is cool as heck

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Open Marriage Night posted:

He's probably getting poo poo from right wingers, and he has to act like it's not about them.

That's definitely how I see it. "How can you have a villain hate immigrants and try to control women? I hate immigrants and wish women would just shut up and I am definitely not a villain! These goddamn comics are WOKE now!"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Sounds like he's reacting to the label of being political in a Twitter-mob pejorative sense, as in "Why are you forcing politics into comics? Why can't you just write comics without politics like they did in the good old days of 1942?" Which is a bit of a shame, because comics being political can be a great thing that ought to be borne with pride.

Though his impression that some readers are projecting themselves onto Sovereign is pretty strange, 'cuz I haven't seen that from...like, anyone anywhere. But maybe the algorithm has corralled him into a corner of Twitter comments that I am thankfully protected from. Mostly. :geno:

The first arc of Poison Ivy is extremely political and is fantastic and isn't afraid to have its anti hero protagonist literally suggest eating the rich. Even Superman had dipped its toes into being political with the Blue Earth stuff and aliens basically being a proxy for immigrants (again).

quote:

"I don’t see Wonder Woman as a specifically political book, I see it as a superhero book. I may just be an idiot," King says with a laugh to Popverse's Sam Stone. "What is Wonder Woman fighting for? She’s fighting for equality, love, and all the things I was taught as a kid in the ‘80s that were the ideal things and that my mother was taught in the ‘50s and all the things my grandmother, who helped raise me, was taught in the ‘40s. I don’t see it as being political."

At least he's honest about being an idiot as all of the stuff he lists is political. And also sorta unclear as to what sorts of things he, his mother and grandmother were taught. You'd think a spook wouldn't be scared of hate mobbing by right wing internet trolls, but here we are I guess

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 15, 2024

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

The first arc of Poison Ivy is extremely political and is fantastic and isn't afraid to have its anti hero protagonist literally suggest eating the rich. Even Superman had dipped its toes into being political with the Blue Earth stuff and aliens basically being a proxy for immigrants (again).

At least he's honest about being an idiot as all of the stuff he lists is political. And also sorta unclear as to what sorts of things he, his mother and grandmother were taught. You'd think a spook wouldn't be scared of hate mobbing by right wing internet trolls, but here we are I guess

Grant Morrison, early Superboy was very much into the "Eat the Rich and possibly pulverize the State" whenever the universe got rebooted and they had to scrap poo poo again. I think it was after dogshit Flashpoint.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Is Indiana Jones a political movie because he fights Nazis?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Tom King needs to stop making comics to free up all the good artists he works with

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Why did his grandmother get taught values only ten years before his mother did. What's going on with the timescales here

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The Last Call posted:

If you think DC's Wonder Woman is a political book, then you're identifying with the villains waaaaaay too much, says writer Tom King

https://www.thepopverse.com/wonder-woman-political-dc-tom-king-sovereign-book-may-2024

Thoughts?

Tom King is a goddamn hack.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

He’s written some crap books, but the guy stacks Eisners with all the good stuff.

It’s not like he has to water board editorial to get assignments with top artists.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I'm not out to defend King's track record on...anything, really...but I also feel like there are some weirdly intense reactions here to what was basically some tepid room temperature comments.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

BrianWilly posted:

I'm not out to defend King's track record on...anything, really...but I also feel like there are some weirdly intense reactions here to what was basically some tepid room temperature comments.

This thread goes to complete poo poo for a while any time King's name is mentioned.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

yeah can't imagine why the guy who is constantly writing books that are him working through his feelings about the american empire and the war crimes it (or he) committed while also still believing it was with good intentions and has received enormous amounts of critical acclaim might illicit strong opinions

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I mean, he's wrong about it not being political, and while I can see people thinking the literal text of 'one dude with a magic rope is behind all the bad things' ain't great, it's pretty blatant to me that the Sovereign is meant to be read as a metaphor for the worst parts of America, imperialism, misogyny, racism, classism, economic inequality, all wrapped up in the image of one dude because, well, it's a superhero comic and Diana needs someone to punch in the end. Hell, the scene where he mind controls the one soldier into killing himself as an example of the Amazons 'emasculation' feels pretty unsubtle in being about both the military brainwashing young men to ignore their better natures, with a dollop of toxic masculinity on top.

Like, the King run on Wonder Woman has problems, but the basic messaging doesn't strike me as one.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 15, 2024

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

He wrote a scene where the villain comends Joe Biden for his strength of will

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
DC Reveals Zero Hour 30th-Anniversary Special First Look

https://comicbook.com/comics/news/dc-reveals-zero-hour-30th-anniversary-special-first-look-exclusive/

30 years ago, one of the DCU's brightest heroes fell from grace, driven over the edge by his failure to save Coast City and millions of people. In the famed EMERALD TWILIGHT storyline, Hal Jordan became PARALLAX in the wake of Coast City being annihilated. After that, he almost succeeded in refashioning the entire DC timeline and resetting reality to restore his home in the ZERO HOUR event. Luckily, the heroes prevailed and destroyed this villain and timeline for good...or so we thought. Green Lantern Kyle Rayner is about to discover Hal and his vision have survived, and they're willing to do whatever it takes to make sure their world prevails!

Writers Dan Jurgens and Ron Marz return to the world of Zero Hour with an art team comprised of all-star DC talent to celebrate this landmark anniversary. What repercussions will their story today have for
those of tomorrow? Find out in this

30 years. Why did that make me feel so much older upon seeing that number. Anyone else?
The Parallax armor is still one of the best designs.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Gaz-L posted:

I mean, he's wrong about it not being political, and while I can see people thinking the literal text of 'one dude with a magic rope is behind all the bad things' ain't great, it's pretty blatant to me that the Sovereign is meant to be read as a metaphor for the worst parts of America, imperialism, misogyny, racism, classism, economic inequality, all wrapped up in the image of one dude because, well, it's a superhero comic and Diana needs someone to punch in the end. Hell, the scene where he mind controls the one soldier into killing himself as an example of the Amazons 'emasculation' feels pretty unsubtle in being about both the military brainwashing young men to ignore their better natures, with a dollop of toxic masculinity on top.

Like, the King run on Wonder Woman has problems, but the basic messaging doesn't strike me as one.
I thought the scene with the soldier was a clunky one, but also an example of how you can use the metaphor without going as over the top and all-encompassing as King decided to do it. Like you said, the scene with the fictional soldier in a fictional battle being fed a line of bullshit to push him to suicide as a marytr for a lovely cause is a solid metaphor for the military-industrial complex. And then when Wonder Woman punches him in the face, she avenges his literal death and the metaphorical military-industrial complex without also going "lol also this magic lasso is why Freedom Riders were beaten".

I get that it's all metaphor and etc. but I would also feel weird if there was a Marvel story where the only reason the Holocaust happened was because the Psycho-Man was using his Psycho-Machine to force anti-semitism onto the Nazis, or a comic where Vermin Vunderbar tricked Canada into starting their residential school systems in order to help find the Anti-Life Equation. I personally find the sort of "oh well this real life atrocity was just a supervillain doing weird magic/supernatural stuff, that's why all evil deeds exist in this world!" Metaphors are great! Literally going "oh by the way the real mastermind of the 9/11 attacks was Per Degaton, because he was mad at Liberty Belle" isn't a metaphor, it just feels weird and cheap and facile to me.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Drummer: "I'm gonna go punch God."
Guy: "God is already dead"
Drummer: "Then I'm gonna punch that gently caress." *Points to the reader*

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Last Call posted:

DC Reveals Zero Hour 30th-Anniversary Special First Look

https://comicbook.com/comics/news/dc-reveals-zero-hour-30th-anniversary-special-first-look-exclusive/

30 years ago, one of the DCU's brightest heroes fell from grace, driven over the edge by his failure to save Coast City and millions of people. In the famed EMERALD TWILIGHT storyline, Hal Jordan became PARALLAX in the wake of Coast City being annihilated. After that, he almost succeeded in refashioning the entire DC timeline and resetting reality to restore his home in the ZERO HOUR event. Luckily, the heroes prevailed and destroyed this villain and timeline for good...or so we thought. Green Lantern Kyle Rayner is about to discover Hal and his vision have survived, and they're willing to do whatever it takes to make sure their world prevails!

Writers Dan Jurgens and Ron Marz return to the world of Zero Hour with an art team comprised of all-star DC talent to celebrate this landmark anniversary. What repercussions will their story today have for
those of tomorrow? Find out in this

30 years. Why did that make me feel so much older upon seeing that number. Anyone else?
The Parallax armor is still one of the best designs.

A story where Kyle Rayner is the star? Could it be?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

A story where Kyle Rayner is the star? Could it be?

Oh don't worry I'm sure he'll be super Gen X mopey and tell Hal how he was always the best in the end. :v:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

lmao, never expected to see The Special One pop up in BSS

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Xelkelvos posted:

Drummer: "I'm gonna go punch God."
Guy: "God is already dead"
Drummer: "Then I'm gonna punch that gently caress." *Points to the reader*

Poor Jakita. Possibly the greatest power set for physical survivability but maybe the worst for her mental health.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I can understand being wary of stories inventing a magical comic book reason for America's history of evil, but I don't think it's that big an issue with King's run so far because the story...the allegory...is just so clear here: Sovereign is America. Everything he and his predecessors do is stuff that American leadership also literally does in the real world, and his reasons and motivations given for doing so are also what real American leaders tell themselves to justify their actions and prop up their own self-importance, so it's like...it's not so much that we are making magical comic book reasons for American atrocities, but more so making the point that the existing system is fundamentally indistinguishable from fantastical comic book supervillainy. The Lasso of Lies -- or whatever other supernatural explanation there is for Sovereign being able to do what they do -- is not some separate element from things that happens in our real world, but emblematic of it.

I agree that you'd have to squint kinda hard to see it as King writing anything particularly problematic. There's also this issue with leftist discourse nowadays where the stories that are actually kinda progressive about things end up being the ones that get scrutinized the most and held to a stricter standard that we don't hold other stories to, often by the very same people that these works are trying to speak to. Like...again, the whole actual point that King is making with Sovereign here is "America oppresses people" and that's mostly all there is to it. Sure, it makes King sound very dense when he says that isn't political, but that's another issue.

Also...like, keep in mind that at the end of the day we are talking about the comic book character whose origin is that Ares, actual god of war, is literally making World War II happen and literally backing the Nazis. Combing real world issues with fantastical catalysts is not a new thing with WW, nor with many others.

(Also x2, the story isn't over and, well, it is called the Lasso of Lies and Diana keeps sayin that this guy lies, so. Who knows? Maybe there are some untrue things in his story.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think it's a dumb as gently caress thing to say any comic book is not political, but if Tom King is getting heat from assholes I don't blame him for saying it. And gently caress you BrianWilly for making a post that kinda makes me want to read Tom King's Wonder Woman, I thought I could just safely ignore it but you made it seem interesting.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

oh uhh yeah that's [nervous chuckle] that's definitely a good idea!

:ohdear:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

It's worth a read for the art alone!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I read the first volume of Tini Howard's Catwoman. It's funny, it does directly address my problems with the run immediately preceding it. Like, this is a good Catwoman villain.

But I'm still not crazy about it. It's infused with this kind of groan-worthy pop feminism. Catwoman is always able to predict what her opponents will do because men are so predictable. At one point she's able to talk the lady assassin hired to kill her out of doing the job by talking about the wage gap.

It's also got way too much censored swearing. Doing it occasionally or a lot for one character is fine, but if every character is dropping censored swear words all the time it just feels a bit juvenile.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Open Marriage Night posted:

He’s written some crap books, but the guy stacks Eisners with all the good stuff.

It’s not like he has to water board editorial to get assignments with top artists.

Speaking of Eisners, the nominees were just announced.

Funnily enough, Tom King’s Wonder Woman is included in the “Best Continuing Series” category.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

thetoughestbean posted:

Speaking of Eisners, the nominees were just announced.

Funnily enough, Tom King’s Wonder Woman is included in the “Best Continuing Series” category.

I set out to make a "Blurst Continuing Series" joke but now I'm mad at whoever put a loving lens flare that moves in the background of the site. It's 2024. Might as well have frames and an UNDER CONSTRUCTION gif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I always do a ctrl + F look for Erik Larsen on there for Savage Dragon... well at least his name is on the page! In the description of the Image guys. It's nice that they always give Stan Sakai some love for Usagi Yojimbo.

In general my taste and interest isn't too aligned with the Eisners, like most awards, but I'm happy for the people getting them.