Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Musashi was the cutoff point of world history calling someone a warrior poet instead of a serial killer.

The PS1 game with the FFVIII demo was good, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Desumaytah posted:

Musashi was the cutoff point of world history calling someone a warrior poet instead of a serial killer.

Actually, according to military historian Dennis Hopper, it was the Vietnam War

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Desumaytah posted:

The PS1 game with the FFVIII demo was good, though.

You probably get a lot of slack when your first victim is a guy who wrote "SOMEONE WANNA FIGHT TO THE DEATH?" and then demanded getting to kill a little boy unless he apologized to him for replying "Sure!" on the public notice and most of your followups were that kind of rear end in a top hat.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Iran president and foreign minster have been in a helicopter crash

there is some incredibly think fog in the region so it might legit be an accident and also another reason to not get in helicopters

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
They're balling with Kobe in heaven now

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Tarezax posted:

They're balling with Kobe in heaven now

*Mimes executing political prisoners*

Ebrahim...:sigh:

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The Iran president and foreign minster have been in a helicopter crash

there is some incredibly think fog in the region so it might legit be an accident and also another reason to not get in helicopters

Desperately need more information on this, this could be incredibly hosed up.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Magic Underwear posted:

Can you elaborate on how hosed up it could be? Unless it's literally "someone sabotaged/shot at the helicopter," it seems like "only" a horrible tragedy for the people who died and their loved one's, and a real inconvenience for the Iranian state.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Magic Underwear posted:

Mr. Apollo posted:

It reminds me of the Smolensk air crash that was caused by incredibly thick fog.

Here’s a photo from the rescue crews showing the fog in the area

going by twitter, no one knows poo poo until the fog goes away

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Magic Underwear posted:

Looks legit crazy foggy, any conspiracy theory got incredibly lucky with that one.

On the other hand, the King of Saudi Arabia was just hospitalized.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Really amazing how despite all prior evidence, people fly deathtraps helicopters into fog like that...in mountainous areas no less.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What, when you drive into fog you don't speed up to get out of it faster?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Magic Underwear posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shorts?kUDezYXLc2U

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

DynamicSloth posted:

Looks legit crazy foggy, any conspiracy theory got incredibly lucky with that one.

On the other hand, the King of Saudi Arabia was just hospitalized.

The real one that's been incapacitated for a while or the prince that's effectively the king? Or did the prince become king at some point?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MBS has been running the country for awhile. He's not the king though.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Yeah, around 2017-2018 he had half of his family 'arrested' in a fancy hotel until they agreed to sign over key assets and state companies to him and his cronies. Ostensibly under the guise of a corruption probe, which is low-key hilarious.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes and one of the people detained in the hotel was the Prime Minister or President of Lebanon

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Couple of articles in the Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/19/us/politics/political-violence.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

Threats to politicians and judges are way way up. Pretty obvious why.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/19/briefing/centrism-washington-neopopulism.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

Apparently neoliberalism is dying politically. That’s probably a good thing. There’s a new “neopopulist” consensus forming.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/19/briefing/centrism-washington-neopopulism.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

Apparently neoliberalism is dying politically. That’s probably a good thing. There’s a new “neopopulist” consensus forming.

Given that this article brands Trump as centrist and insists that Congress is way less partisan than it was fifteen years ago, I'm not so sure that "neopopulist" consensus exists anywhere outside of David Leonhardt's fever dreams. Watching him talk triumphantly about "bipartisan" bills that pass with all the Democrats and a couple of Republicans voting for them, I can't help but feel that he put a little too much wishful thinking into this piece.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The covid response and the tiktok sale specifically feel less like a shift toward neopopulist and more a forced reaction of the reality. The former was a literal pandemic that required an extreme response, while the latter is a realization by the white house/government that they have lost control of the narrative in a major way.

The rest of his examples are rather narrow. They're a patchwork means of fixing the economy, the same method they've been doing this whole time, except they're happening more frequently.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://www.wired.com/story/extremist-militias-are-coordinating-on-facebook/

Extremist Militias Are Coordinating in More Than 100 Facebook Groups

quote:

After lying low for several years in the aftermath of the US Capitol riot on January 6, militia extremists have been quietly reorganizing, ramping up recruitment and rhetoric on Facebook—with apparently little concern that Meta will enforce its ban against them, according to new research by the Tech Transparency Project, shared exclusively with WIRED.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

this is gonna lead to parody outcomes where these militias are over fifty percent glowies by volume, repeatedly getting convinced to do things like stage attacks from out of uhaul trucks that they've been locked into from the outside

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah I imagine the three letter agencies have been very specific with Meta to let these guys do all their coordinating right out in the open

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Raisi and the foreign minister, Hossein Amirabdollahian, are now confirmed to have been killed in the crash

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Riptor posted:

Raisi and the foreign minister, Hossein Amirabdollahian, are now confirmed to have been killed in the crash

Should the repeated reference to martyrdom be understood as an accusation that these men were killed for their beliefs/actions, or is it just normal rhetoric for when a major leader dies while on the job?

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Should the repeated reference to martyrdom be understood as an accusation that these men were killed for their beliefs/actions, or is it just normal rhetoric for when a major leader dies while on the job?

normal rhetoric for the ruling clique, whether or not they try to pin this on someone else or not. they're up their own theocratic asses about everything and the leadership constantly anoints itself in reference to how all holy they are. raeisi could have died on the shitter and he would have still been promoted to glorious martyr upon death

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Who hasn't felt like they were being personally tested by God while straining on the shitter?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Failed Imagineer posted:

Who hasn't felt like they were being personally tested by God while straining on the shitter?

:hmmyes:

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah I imagine the three letter agencies have been very specific with Meta to let these guys do all their coordinating right out in the open

It’s gonna be so helpful to hear the next extremist terrorist was “on the FBI’s radar” for some time after the next mass casualty event.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

selec posted:

It’s gonna be so helpful to hear the next extremist terrorist was “on the FBI’s radar” for some time after the next mass casualty event.

The agencies have a very tough role titrating the precise level of domestic terrorism that keeps them employed and astronomically funded

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Failed Imagineer posted:

Real religions encourage sufficient fiber in the diets of their followers. Maybe you should repent your sins. Or perhaps lean into them, and embrace hedonistic capitalism and the glorious intestinal rocketfuel that is fat laden fast food.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

god would have allowed toilet martyr status for conan obrien after his hot ones interview, but thats about it

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Drake would still be cooked

Kendrick is the modern Musashi

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

at least once daily these days you can catch me shouting DOT gently caress EM UP at something random. this was not a real battle, it was an extermination

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

drake has fallen

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Raenir Salazar posted:

So just to be clear, you are aware that there are in fact rules, you're just unsure if China's subsidies are infringing on the WTO rules or the rules of some other international body or treaty or other agreement? Currently I am taking it at face value the statements of the United States the grievance is factual, that China is subsidizing its EV manufacturing in a means or method in violation of some statute, or agreement China agreed in principle to. As statements by ranking officials of the United States are generally pretty authoritative and there's nothing unreasonable in choosing to do so.

According to a similar article as the original one linked is paywalled:

It seems like this isn't a knee jerk reaction, but indeed a sober technocratic decision made by going through the proper review processes; I'll note that rather than respond to the main substance of my post, which is that protectionist measures are often needed to protect workers livelihoods and fragile nascent industries, you mainly seem to be focused on the aspect of the post that is indirectly critical of China, I think this is an odd choice of debate tactic because whether or not China is technically correct by the rules/regulations/agreements/etc isn't the main point of the post, and the extent in which punishedkissinger seemed critical of Biden and to what extent OP was off base regarding their post because "but the environment" is a deeper and more substantial conversation and I'm just going to point out here you aren't responding to the main focus or thrust here; which is that "but the environment" is a nuanced and complex issue and ultimately we shouldn't be happy to see the US EV industry die in its crib on the idea that there might be marginally more EVs in the market sooner if only Biden didn't slap a tarriff on Chinese EVs? That's obviously balloony.

But in any case, a trivial google later, (or in my case since google is increasingly useless for complex questions, so I asked ChatGPT and then Googled using what it gave me) there is the general "AGREEMENT ON SUBSIDIES AND COUNTERVAILING MEASURES"

From Wikipedia

And googling "SCM Agreement" and "China" shows that China clearly seems to be by virtue of being a WTO member, bound by it: https://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/dispu_e/cases_e/ds427_e.htm

In a news article from the CBC we get:

Which quotes a specific law: Section 301 of the Trade Act of 1974.

From the Congressional Research Service:

It seems pretty clear that taken at face value and given the facts that it's reasonable to conclude that the US has legitimate concerns about the Chinese subsidies regarding EVs to justify these tariffs under standards set by pre-existing international rules (which is the basis of the law in question that is enabling the tariffs).

Hey I know this is old news at this point but I wanted to acknowledge and thank you for coming through on this. You raise a good point about the development of a national US EV industry and based on the links you provided, and taking the US' official statements at face value, your conclusion is reasonable. Agreed that Google is increasingly useless btw. I hope whatever happens is the best for the environment and workers.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Failed Imagineer posted:

The Turd of Job

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Well it’s here. Full on relatively convincing deep fake state propaganda.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/20/world/asia/china-russia-deepfake.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

I wonder how much of this the GOP is up to already?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Well it’s here. Full on relatively convincing deep fake state propaganda.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/20/world/asia/china-russia-deepfake.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

I wonder how much of this the GOP is up to already?

Are these even actually deepfakes? The article likes to use the words "AI" and "deepfake", but what it actually seems to be describing is just dubbing unrelated audio over real videos. Hell, their first example just sounds like a bog-standard TTS.

There's no actual indication that it's state propaganda, either, and plenty of indications that it isn't. The article even says that itself, several times. Though it does like to muddle that up by quickly following it up with mentions of other, unrelated claims of state propaganda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

Are these even actually deepfakes? The article likes to use the words "AI" and "deepfake", but what it actually seems to be describing is just dubbing unrelated audio over real videos. Hell, their first example just sounds like a bog-standard TTS.

There's no actual indication that it's state propaganda, either, and plenty of indications that it isn't. The article even says that itself, several times. Though it does like to muddle that up by quickly following it up with mentions of other, unrelated claims of state propaganda.

Further in:

“These videos looked much more natural, with the woman’s lips synced to the fluent Mandarin. But they are fake, too.”

Apparently there is a very wide range in quality. Some of its just dubbed over, some is 3d modeled, some is deep faked.