Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Declan MacManus posted:

another good reason to go to blacksburg is if you like mountains, or if you hate cell reception, or if you like empty trophy cases

My brother nearly went to VT for college.

Dodged a bullet there.

Also are they pushing 90% of SEC games to the SEC network? (please say yes)

mayodreams posted:

Top 50 College Towns. http://www.bestcollegereviews.org/50-best-college-towns-america/

Ames and Iowa City in the Top 10? :psyduck:

Also: Purdue is not in Lafayette. Pro journalism there.

Also anyone who has lived in or around Amherst MA would tell you what a crock of poo poo that is. So loving expensive and if you want to do anything fun, good loving luck finding it there.

My boyfriend said UI-UC is a poo poo hole surrounded by corn fields, but is cheap to live in, so...

wtftastic fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

wtftastic posted:

Also are they pushing 90% of SEC games to the SEC network? (please say yes)

90% of women's volleyball games that are broadcast if that helps. Of the early scheduled games (first four weeks) the only ones that might be interesting are Arkansas/Auburn (not really), Mizzou/UCF and Kentucky/Florida. I can't remember if Louisiana Lafayette is the cool spread team that puts up a ton of yards and almost knocked off someone a couple of years ago or not, if they are add UL Lafayette/Ole Miss to that.

Other than that it's a bunch of Florida Atlantic @ Alabama and Sam Houston State @ LSU.

I'd imagine it'll be a lot like the Big 10 network, you won't ever get away from having Alabama on one of the main stations if they're playing anyone with a pulse.

e: Oh I skipped over A&M/SCar, that one is actually pretty good.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 18, 2014

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I think I might riot

I'm with you. This is bullshit

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Ehud posted:

This is the least excited I've ever been for college football to start.

I'm hyped, my team could go 0-13 or 14-0. With Kliff Kingsbury the possibilities are endless....

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Ehud posted:

Agreed. I was unjustly excited for a new coach at Purdue last year, and Northwestern's fast start coupled with the return of the Cardiac 'Cats made it a painful season.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I'd get excited, except Nebraska will win a game it's not supposed to, lose a game it's not supposed to, and go 9-4 or 10-4.

I do, however, look forward to all the garbage I'll eat and the booze I'll drink in advance of our run of five consecutive night games

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

wtftastic posted:

My boyfriend said UI-UC is a poo poo hole surrounded by corn fields, but is cheap to live in, so...

Yeah Champaign is pretty bad. Of the Big Ten towns (real Big Ten towns, gently caress off New Jersey) I've visited that and West Laffayette were the only ones I didn't like. Evanston itself is kinda boring too, but Chicago is right there so whatever.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

Evanston itself is kinda boring too, but Chicago is right there so whatever.

I have to assume that exact statement is made to every Northwestern recruit during their visits.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ehud posted:

:smith: :hf: :smith:

Me too buddy. Me too.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

LeeMajors posted:

:smith: :hf: :smith:

Me too buddy. Me too.

Is it okay to hope we lose an early game to a small school to ensure the firing of Muschamp?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Thoguh posted:

I have to assume that exact statement is made to every Northwestern recruit during their visits.

The ambiance of a game at Ryan Field is not unlike a PTA meeting

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Ehud posted:

Is it okay to hope we lose an early game to a small school to ensure the firing of Muschamp?

No.

In spite of my schizophrenic, maniacal mid-season rants, in my sober/rational moments I am not 100% off the Muschamp bandwagon. That team was annihilated with injuries. Still shouldn't have lost to Georgia Southern, but that team had given up badly.

I'm cautiously optimistic--there are enough athletes for any offensive production to net 9 to 11 wins.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

mayodreams posted:

Top 50 College Towns. http://www.bestcollegereviews.org/50-best-college-towns-america/

Ames and Iowa City in the Top 10? :psyduck:

Also: Purdue is not in Lafayette. Pro journalism there.

I could easily go into Columbia, MO being ranked over Lawrence, but frankly, the fact that Bloomington is ranked under either is some grade-A bullshit. Neither MU or KU can hold a candle to IU's dining. Bloomington has an entire strip of exotic Asian restaurants that are basically there because of some immigrated Tibetan community or something. That... that is demonstrably a bad list. Chapel Hill and Iowa City are okay, but Bloomington should easily be contending with them.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

No.

In spite of my schizophrenic, maniacal mid-season rants, in my sober/rational moments I am not 100% off the Muschamp bandwagon. That team was annihilated with injuries. Still shouldn't have lost to Georgia Southern, but that team had given up badly.

I'm cautiously optimistic--there are enough athletes for any offensive production to net 9 to 11 wins.

Same. I'm unironically excited about having an OC that actually gets to be an OC and can put Driskel's strengths to good use (the gently caress it going deep throw). Now if Driskel can limit his mistakes and know when it's appropriate to just throw the ball away rather than force it in something that isn't there the offense could be in really good shape.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress a gator

wootmachine
Aug 28, 2006

HAIL SABAN

Ehud posted:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

You can't post this and cut out the derpy CGI gator come on.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

vyst posted:

Same. I'm unironically excited about having an OC that actually gets to be an OC and can put Driskel's strengths to good use (the gently caress it going deep throw). Now if Driskel can limit his mistakes and know when it's appropriate to just throw the ball away rather than force it in something that isn't there the offense could be in really good shape.

For sure. I think Muschamp realizes that this year is make-or-break, and hopefully he will let Roper work his magic.

JesustheDarkLord posted:

gently caress a gator

gently caress you too, buddy. :colbert:

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
As much as I would love to see another disaster in Gainesville this football season, I just don't see it happening. The defense is too good, too much talent on offense to be that bad forever, and the SEC East looks to be down this year. UF can easily sneak out a 9-10 win season

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ehud posted:

I'm stoked because there are zero expectations for my team this year. Anything better than 1-11 means we've overperformed. So there is only upside to get excited about.

Now watch us lose to Kansas and go 0-12.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They're gonna almost lose to NDSU and then beat Iowa.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

They're gonna almost lose to NDSU and then beat Iowa.

I'd be down for that. Though I'd probably rather beat K-State and lose to Iowa than the other way around.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Dattserberg posted:

As much as I would love to see another disaster in Gainesville this football season, I just don't see it happening. The defense is too good, too much talent on offense to be that bad forever, and the SEC East looks to be down this year. UF can easily sneak out a 9-10 win season

That's how I feel when I step back, take a few breaths (and a shot of fireball), and try to be honest about how I see this season progressing.

The anguish of watching an absolutely uninspiring and neutered offense for the past four seasons has really robbed me of much enthusiasm though.

I can deal with 4-5 loss football if the team is fun to watch. Hell, Tebow funslinging in 2007 and Doug Johnson bombing away at defenses (and Bobby Bowden's face) in 1997 made for entertaining football without any real shot of competing for a title. But you lose me when the team is just absolute drudgery to watch. Even that 2012 team with 11 wins was a chore to watch.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Real Name Grover posted:

I'd get excited, except Nebraska will win a game it's not supposed to, lose a game it's not supposed to, and go 9-4 or 10-4.

I do, however, look forward to all the garbage I'll eat and the booze I'll drink in advance of our run of five consecutive night games

This is exactly how I feel. Pumped as hell for tailgating season, sort of "eh..." about college football. I have a feeling once we're there I'll come around though.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Florida fans sure do have it rough. Did you know it's been over 5 years since their last national title?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crotch Bat posted:

Florida fans sure do have it rough. Did you know it's been over 5 years since their last national title?

Last year's team was still not any fun to watch and it's understandable if they're not looking forward to seeing it again. I don't think they're claiming that they have it worse than Kansas.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Everyone deserves to be poo poo for awhile. Absolutely everyone. Their entire lives as Florida fans have been caked in titles and Heismans.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Dattserberg posted:

This is how I feel as well. UF could certainly struggle again, but they have the ability to be a "surprise" team relative to general expectations; I'm actually pretty convinced we'll lose to them. I can't blame the fans for being bored and disgusted with the current brand of football that's been on display, but they have reason for optimism and shouldn't be dreading this season so much.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Crotch Bat posted:

Everyone deserves to be poo poo for awhile. Absolutely everyone. Their entire lives as Florida fans have been caked in titles and Heismans.

I never said I wasn't going to watch it, just not super excited like I have been in years past.

I'm more optimistic than I probably should be.

And yeah, I admit my fanhood has been incredibly decadent with years of SEC titles, a few national titles, Tebow, Wuerrfel and that beautiful bastard Spurrier for 12 glorious seasons. I've had it pretty good.

Not complaining, just discussing the possibilities.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

Sorry that we're used to a particular brand of football. It's not even that we are clamoring for another title, but having an offense that actually excites fans would be something we haven't seen in this decade.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

vyst posted:

Sorry that we're used to a particular brand of football. It's not even that we are clamoring for another title, but having an offense that actually excites fans would be something we haven't seen in this decade.

Exactly.

Throw the loving football and score some points for gently caress's sake.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

vyst posted:

but having an offense that actually excites fans would be something we haven't seen in this decade.

LeeMajors posted:

Exactly.

Throw the loving football and score some points for gently caress's sake.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Thoguh posted:

I'm stoked because there are zero expectations for my team this year. Anything better than 1-11 means we've overperformed. So there is only upside to get excited about.

Now watch us lose to Kansas and go 0-12.

Nah. You'll lose to West Virginia. Gotta switch it up, you know.

MourningView posted:

Last year's team was still not any fun to watch and it's understandable if they're not looking forward to seeing it again. I don't think they're claiming that they have it worse than Kansas.

Not too many teams have been to an Orange Bowl as recently as KU. So there are sadder sob stories.

Probably Magic fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 18, 2014

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I gotta stop reading this thread. I'm gonna go blind if I roll my eyes any harder.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Probably Magic posted:

Not too many teams have been to an Orange Bowl as recently as KU. So there are sadder sob stories.

I was going to go with my usual :argh: about this but now I'm curious, how many teams have bottomed out so completely after making a BCS bowl? Hawaii maybe?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
So CB I assume you're going to stop whining about Beamer and VaTech all the time now? They win 10 games like every year! I don't know how you can complain when Iowa State exists.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

I was going to go with my usual :argh: about this but now I'm curious, how many teams have bottomed out so completely after making a BCS bowl? Hawaii maybe?

Wake Forest after their 2006 Orange Bowl season. I found that out while trying to find a major conference team that actually has recently done worse than KU. Championship be damned, Colorado is definitely a contender. Haven't won a bowl game since 2005, and that's in a conference that isn't Round Robin and has (IMO) some worse teams than the Big XII. Also, KU's final conference win before they beat WVU last year.

Probably Magic fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 18, 2014

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

So CB I assume you're going to stop whining about Beamer and VaTech all the time now? They win 10 games like every year! I don't know how you can complain when Iowa State exists.

This is when everything comes full circle and he posts EmptyTrophyCase.jpg to support his case.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Is Loefler still at VaTech? How is he doing there? I imagine VaTech was probably a better fit for his offense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Numlock posted:

They must have used some metrics that didn't include not being loving College Station.

You think all them Aggies start out that way? Few leave places like College Station with their sanity intact, I would know having living in Lubbock for a number of year.

A lot of Aggies are third+ generation so yeah they literally started out that way.

Having just come back from Corvallis it does deserve a top slot though because it has a thriving small business community and is not utter poo poo at everything (to be fair part of this is due to them not being in terrible weather for 10 months of the year).

• Locked thread