Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

ShadowMar posted:

i love this thread, this is the only place i've ever seen someone seriously believe "lords of the fallen is good actually"

As i've said before, you can get some subset of Goons who will recommend literally any game at this stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Two Worlds is my favorite game on the Citadel.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Morter posted:

hah hah :smuggo: look at these people that think :viggo: a game i don't like is actually TOLERABLE :wotwot: i say...

The problem is they aren't even saying it's good just tolerable. If you are that desperate for a dark souls clone save your money and buy the actual thing in a month. A guy recommended it by giving it a 6.5.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Accordion Man posted:

Play Walking Dead Season 1, you won’t soon forget it.
Particularly if your save file (you only get one, and its an autosave) gets corrupted halfway through. Which is a common bug that cannot be fixed, because Telltale never bothered to acknowledge, much less fix it, over the years.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dark-Souls-III-Unique-Charity-Auction-In-Aid-Of-SpecialEffect-/252329824315

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Accordion Man posted:

How is the 100 Days DLC?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Scalding Coffee posted:

How is the 100 Days DLC?
It's solid on its own, (It also has a nice scene if you played Lee as a good guy) just don't expect it to have any ramifications whatsoever if you transfer your save over to Season 2.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 23, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Accordion Man posted:

I hear Borderlands is real good, but I’m hesitant in supporting Gearbox.

Walking Dead Season 1 was my favorite ever Telltale game.... until I played Tales from the Borderlands. That is the best thing they've ever done, it's insanely good.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

iGestalt posted:

Way of the Samurai 3 just released, woo. I'm going to pick it up when I can afford to, as I personally enjoyed it far more than WoTS4. Do we know if the port is as good as 4's?
As long as it doesn't have the same 1-3 FPS moments as the PS3/360 versions.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

spudsbuckley posted:

As i've said before, you can get some subset of Goons who will recommend literally any game at this stage.

You've definitely said it before, hell, you've been doing almost nothing aside for complaining about games and complaining about goons recommending games for so long now I'm actually kind of impressed by your dedication to it all.

Scalding Coffee posted:

How is the 100 Days DLC?

I assume you mean 400 Days, it's pretty cool with some neat moments in it even if it's not on par with Season 1.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Just finished Life Is Strange. Here's my mini spoiler-free review.

I was put off by it at first, and there was a gap of several months between playing through the first episode and continuing on, but once I decided to play through episode two I finished the game within a week. Steam says I took 18 hours to play through it.

What turned me off initially was how boring the game felt. It's a slow start for sure. I didn't give a poo poo about the main character or any of her classmates at first, but as I played on the story began to gain some speed and by the end of the third episode I was totally hooked. The teen drama is the centerpiece of the story, but it eventually gets beyond gossip in an adult way that I didn't find unconvincing or trivial. I liked how decisions I made throughout the game continued to affect the plot and how other characters interacted with Max. I'm waiting for my friend to get online so I can tell him to give it another shot.

I remember reading that people hated the last episode, but I liked it. The main criticism I read was that the end of the game was diluted into a binary choice, but given how the game had been set up until then (a series of binary choices), I thought it was appropriate. The story was hosed but not enough that I couldn't suspend my disbelief. It's about time travel after all so of course there are going to be points where you think, "Well, just go back and do THIS!" I thought the game handled it well.

I got all the episodes for something like $11, but I think $15 is the average sale price? I'd say it was worth it. It was unique and totally put me in the mood to play another game of this kind. Had to pay for some car repairs this week so after I get some cash I'm going to get Tales from the Borderlands.

Fun Times! fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 23, 2016

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

CharlestheHammer posted:

The problem is they aren't even saying it's good just tolerable. If you are that desperate for a dark souls clone save your money and buy the actual thing in a month. A guy recommended it by giving it a 6.5.

I'd buy a 4 dollar 6.5 game if I thought it'd kill a few hours

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Morter posted:

I'd buy a 4 dollar 6.5 game if I thought it'd kill a few hours
you and i clearly have very different backlog situations going on

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Fun Times! posted:

Just finished Life Is Strange. Here's my mini spoiler-free review.

I was put off by it at first, and there was a gap of several months between playing through the first episode and continuing on, but once I decided to play through episode two I finished the game within a week. Steam says I took 18 hours to play through it.

What turned me off initially was how boring the game felt. It's a slow start for sure. I didn't give a poo poo about the main character or any of her classmates at first, but as I played on the story began to gain some speed and by the end of the third episode I was totally hooked. The teen drama is the centerpiece of the story, but it eventually gets beyond gossip in an adult way that I didn't find unconvincing or trivial. I liked how decisions I made throughout the game continued to affect the plot and how other characters interacted with Max. I'm waiting for my friend to get online so I can tell him to give it another shot.

I remember reading that people hated the last episode, but I liked it. The main criticism I read was that the end of the game was diluted into a binary choice, but given how the game had been set up until then (a series of binary choices), I thought it was appropriate. The story was hosed but not enough that I couldn't suspend my disbelief. It's about time travel after all so of course there are going to be points where you think, "Well, just go back and do THIS!" I thought the game handled it well.

I got all the episodes for something like $11, but I think $15 is the average sale price? I'd say it was worth it. It was unique and totally put me in the mood to play another game of this kind. Had to pay for some car repairs this week so after I get some cash I'm going to get Tales from the Borderlands.
Episodes 1-4 of Life Strange is one of the best adventure games of all time and then Episode 5 pulled back the curtain and revealed that it was pretty much one big lucky fluke that the game was as great as it was to begin with and DONTNOD had no idea what they were doing.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Awesome! posted:

Well I also think it depends on the genre/what you prefer.

Like Bound By Flame for example isn't a great game ( I actually think it's terrible, but a few people have argued for it here, so whatever. ). At no point would I recommend someone play it, both because it's not great, and "dark fantasy RPG" is a pretty filled niche. If you wanted a good RPG in that vein, go play Dragon Age, go play Divinity, go play Witcher, or Dark Souls. You have so many options that picking the "ok" game is just a waste of time, unless you are near the end of your backlog. Hell, we've had such a flush of them recently that it's actually hard to recommend games like Dragon Age or stuff like Sword Coast Legends, because while they are "good" you have so many great options now, you might as well just start with the greats.

Lords of the Fallen on the other hand is a Dark Soulsalike. So far that genre on PC is.....Dark Souls 1 and Dark Souls 2. If you lack a Playstation, your options are super limited, and there are only so many times you can replay either game. Many people also find Dark Souls 1 and 2 very difficulty/frustrating to get in to, due to a variety of reasons, so there is a crowd that might be interested in a game -like- Dark Souls, but not quite. In that regard Lords is a fine game, and worth the experience. If you are someone whose been interested in Souls games in the past but found 1/2 too different to get into, Lords could be a good starter. If you've played Dark Souls 1/2 a dozen plus times each, Lords could be a good way to scratch the itch while you wait for Dark Souls 3/Salt and Sanctuary to come to PC.

Or hell, you could be like me. Someone who loves all of the Souls games, and has banked hundreds of hours across them, but doesn't really want to commit to another 40-60 hour game right now. So something like Lords, which is a 20-30ish romp through Soulslike territory might be a better way for me to get myself in the Souls mindset before Dark Souls 3 then the other Souls games would.

Value isn't a 1:1 proposition, which is why just blanket calling something terrible always seems really kneejerk.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Awesome! posted:

Yeah, mine involves more futility :negative:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Going through my backlog is giving me a pavlovian sense of dread every time you start up a game and it greets you with the generic Unity launcher. You know the one.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Kanfy posted:

Personally I have a real hard time justifying getting any "alright" games these days when there's already 50+ "great" games I still need to play. It's more about the time investment than the money investment at this point.

I know nothing about that particular game though.

I've hit this same point with my own backlog. I was looking at the Humble Bundle for Dawn of War I+II and just going that they're going to be big rule-intensive games to learn, and I'm already busy with Disgaea+Talos Principle+Tales from the Borderlands+a zillion other things.

... Not that I'm still tempted, but my backlog is just too crowded for giant complicated timesinks I might or might not enjoy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

Episodes 1-4 of Life Strange is one of the best adventure games of all time and then Episode 5 pulled back the curtain and revealed that it was pretty much one big lucky fluke that the game was as great as it was to begin with and DONTNOD had no idea what they were doing.

Episode 5 was fine. Some of the gameplay "additions" were a little absurd but it was an adequate resolution to the themes the game had set up prior.

Also so much poo poo was popping off that there was hardly any room for awkward teen socialization, which was a plus for me.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
Continuing the trend of dinosaur game developers doing shady things, Trendy (Dungeon Defenders) have filed for a temporary injunction against Wildcard (ARK). They're alleging that the former lead on Dungeon Defenders (yes, that guy) was the lead designer for the game for the length of his non-compete agreement with Trendy and poached their employees to start the studio: Wildcard's defense is that he "only consulted" while his wife co-founded the company in her maiden name. The whole thing looks very much like a company trying to dance around some legal issues.

http://kotaku.com/investigation-a-video-game-studio-from-hell-511872642

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

monster on a stick posted:

I've never actually played a proper Borderlands game before, but Tales is an excellent game, in many ways the polar opposite of Game of Thrones. I haven't heard much about the Minecraft game, and nobody seems to be talking about Walking Dead: Michonne, maybe because it's more tied into the TV show. They should have made a Kenny game.

Minecraft is...okay, but it's targeted at a much younger audience in both gameplay and humor. It's a game aimed solely at the teen market.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 24, 2016

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Threep posted:

Continuing the trend of dinosaur game developers doing shady things, Trendy (Dungeon Defenders) have filed for a temporary injunction against Wildcard (ARK). They're alleging that the former lead on Dungeon Defenders (yes, that guy) was the lead designer for the game for the length of his non-compete agreement with Trendy and poached their employees to start the studio: Wildcard's defense is that he "only consulted" while his wife co-founded the company in her maiden name. The whole thing looks very much like a company trying to dance around some legal issues.

If the Stieglitz guy was such a disaster to work with, how is he poaching employees?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Ninkobei posted:

If the Stieglitz guy was such a disaster to work with, how is he poaching employees?

If you're working for the company that's just been put on blast as a disaster and someone goes "Psst, slip out the back with me", I presume that's an appealing prospect when you wonder if your current employer is about to go down in flames.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Accordion Man posted:

Unfortunately I feel Telltale’s been on a downward spiral of quality ever since Walking Dead Season 1. Wolf Among Us was good, but had a weak last half. TWD Season 2 had some fantastic moments but was mostly just meh and utterly inferior to the first season in every way. I hear Borderlands is real good, but I’m hesitant in supporting Gearbox. Games of Thrones was awful though and has pretty much made me not give a poo poo about Telltale anymore. It’s a shame, because TWD Season 1 will always remain one of my favorites, but there’s more than enough cool adventure games coming out to be too hung up about it.

It keeps being said but for real: Tales of the Borderlands is so good. It's better than anything Telltale has ever done. It's better than the main Borderlands games. Claptrap is in it but only as a secret that you can unlock if you save up enough money so make sure to spend as much money as you can so you aren't tempted to ruin your game by having him in it

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
To a good home, low tier Sega stratagy games, never played
HR4C4-EEENX-CLNAB

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

END ME SCOOB posted:

If you're working for the company that's just been put on blast as a disaster and someone goes "Psst, slip out the back with me", I presume that's an appealing prospect when you wonder if your current employer is about to go down in flames.

It's another thing when the guy asking you to slip out the back is the guy who caused the flames to begin with. Or do I misunderstand this story?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Ninkobei posted:

:10bux:

It's all about money

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Ninkobei posted:

It's another thing when the guy asking you to slip out the back is the guy who caused the flames to begin with. Or do I misunderstand this story?
One person's hostile work environment is another person's "cool boss". ARK's community manager posted the attack helicopter meme in an official capacity so presumably the culture at Wildcard is... different.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Threep posted:

Wow Stieglitz was behind Ark? I have to say, I had a boatload of fun with Dun Def at launch (before it got really stupid) and I had a lot of fun with Ark, meanwhile I had 0 fun with Dun Def 2 which loving sucks and he wasn't involved, so maybe he's actually a good designer afterall??? :aaaaa: Hopefully Wildcard isn't as toxic as Trendy and maybe he's matured somewhat since then so I don't feel bad about giving them money.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Deadbolt is a better hotline Miami sequel than hotline Miami 2

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Oh poo poo, the free expansion for Verdun that adds the American squad, 40 new weapons including shotguns, flamethrowers, and white phosphorous, a new gore system, a new map and a co-op horde defense mode came out today.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Xander77 posted:

Question about Underrail (should have asked it on the last page):

Someone mentioned that the combat is a lot simpler since you're controlling 1 guy rather than a party - does that mean that you're not even getting lovely Fallout style companions?

it's all a solo affair.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Anonymous Robot posted:

Oh poo poo, the free expansion for Verdun that adds the American squad, 40 new weapons including shotguns, flamethrowers, and white phosphorous, a new gore system, a new map and a co-op horde defense mode came out today.

That's...quite a big update. :stare:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Co-op horde mode for World War I games seems like a no-brainer

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Anonymous Robot posted:

How's the playerbase for this?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
It's always seemed sparse but not so sparse that I can't find multiple lobbies going whenever. That being said, it's not really a 25 dollar game IMO. Haven't tried the co op mode yet.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

zedprime posted:

I want a discount monocular version of the VR headsets not because I'm half blind but because I am half cheap.
well, half cheap sounds about right; you'd pay for a full VR headset, but i'm wondering if there's a way to turn off stereo 3D processing so you get the same image to both sides, and can have reduced system requirements that way

spudsbuckley posted:

i enjoyed bad rats unironically, and i still love that menu screen music

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Way of the Samurai 3 is art.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Shlapintogan posted:

Way of the Samurai 3 is art.

im glad. i loved 4 so i bought 3 as soon as i found out about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
There's this long Tekken7/fighting game survey by Bandai that asks if you're excited to play it on PC near the end so, uh, I guess that's a port announcement?

• Locked thread