Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Apocron posted:

How much genuine feeling for Elan do you think Tarquin has or is he mostly means to an end?

Exactly as much feeling as necessary to bring about the climactic final showdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Apocron posted:

How much genuine feeling for Elan do you think Tarquin has or is he mostly means to an end?

He's an evil dude, and as such I'm pretty sure one thing doesn't preclude the other. I think he probably loves his son but is also perfectly comfortable manipulating and using him for his own ends. He'd probably prefer Elan was happy and comfortable and etc, but I doubt it's an undying loyalty so much as a patronly fondness. So I guess you could say, yeah, he probably loves him a lot, but he's also a really selfish dude and isn't going to put love first.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Mniot posted:

Maybe something silly like a kobold with hundreds of templates applied.

There was a snail with a dozen templates as a villain in the Dragon strips, so I doubt that it's exactly this... but having the monster be Pun-Pun could certainly work. Arbitrarily high stats and the ability to get any ability in the game would explain what we've seen so far, though the monster clearly wouldn't have bothered boosting its wisdom overly high...

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Tarquin probably feels a great fatherly pride in his son while viewing him as the means to an end.

He wants to be defeated by a hero in a grand battle and go down in legend, and he is drat proud that his son seems to have independently set himself up to fill that role.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Shugojin posted:

Tarquin probably feels a great fatherly pride in his son while viewing him as the means to an end.

He wants to be defeated by a hero in a grand battle and go down in legend, and he is drat proud that his son seems to have independently set himself up to fill that role.

Hell, following that train of thought, for someone who "gets" the game as much as Tarquin, being able to choose that his son is the most likely hero to defeat him is an even greater reason to help him with his quest.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Tarquin: Best Dude Ever.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Geekner posted:

Tarquin: Best Dude Ever.

Gonna quote this for eternity.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

GodDAMN that was awesome! Tarquin may be the best antagonist EVER. It'll never happen, because Burlew's got his story pre-planned out and couldn't have predicted Tarquin's rise in popularity, but drat would I enjoy a Tarquin series.

Though I suppose that would only be the case if he could manage to keep Tarquin as cool as he the whole time. It's possible that Taruin only works in small doses.

But you know what? I'm willing to risk overexposure. Bring on Tarquin and Friends!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jng2058 posted:

Bring on Tarquin and Friends!

I now have in my head an 80's TV show opening where the characters all do happy things and smile at the camera whilst cheery music plays.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Tarquin is basically Batman with Iron Man's attitude and Doctor Doom's agenda. Dude owns.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Every time I think maybe I should think about scouting around for a new avatar, there's another Tarquin strip and I come to my senses.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

MikeJF posted:

I now have in my head an 80's TV show opening where the characters all do happy things and smile at the camera whilst cheery music plays.

...with bits of murder, oppression, and slavery in the background.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Is it weird that I hold the fact that he's a serial rapist against him more than the enslavement and murder of entire nations?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Pope Guilty posted:

Is it weird that I hold the fact that he's a serial rapist against him more than the enslavement and murder of entire nations?

I get where you're coming from but the way I see it is he forces women to marry him for their lands and wealth but doesn't force himself on them, Penelope seemed to have liked him, she was killed by Nale. Also Nale and Elans mother wasn't brutally killed, they just seperated. My biggest reason for not believing Tarquin is a rapist is that only retarded people bring rape into a gaming session or comic strip.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

One death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.

We see Captain Amun-Zora's plight directly, we feel her grief and betrayal, and that has more emotional impact than just being told that he's killed who knows how many people over the decades of his rulership.

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Jan 17, 2001

Forum Veteran

The last three panels....jesus.

:stare:

I don't want to root for Tarquin cause he's evil but but but

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Satisfaction Guaranteed posted:

The last three panels....jesus.

:stare:

I don't want to root for Tarquin cause he's evil but but but

Just read through the last "chapter" and you won't have any choice but to love Tarquinn. I just did and .. yeah.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
That was perfect in so many ways. He doesn't even bother to immediately kill his own son when all he'd have to do is tip off Malak (who is still oblivious to his presence), he just wants to instill fear in Nale's heart.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Don't resist Tarquin, he is the best character ever introduced to this strip. I for one would not be sad to drop the existing story and just stay with Tarquin and watch his adventures.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Indolent Bastard posted:

Don't resist Tarquin, he is the best character ever introduced to this strip. I for one would not be sad to drop the existing story and just stay with Tarquin and watch his adventures.

My guess is Tarquin is gonna play a really big role in the end game of this strip. Don't count him out yet just because we're moving the main plot along now.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

HKR posted:

My guess is Tarquin is gonna play a really big role in the end game of this strip. Don't count him out yet just because we're moving the main plot along now.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if getting killed was some grand part of his scheme to godhood or something.

Iggy Johnson
Mar 11, 2007

It doesn't work if you beg.

SlimGoodbody posted:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if getting killed was some grand part of his scheme to godhood or something.

I'd worship him. He's at least as great as any of the Norse Gods, Loki in particular.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New comic - http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0820.html

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
That's how you play the Good Dad, Bad Dad.

Malack is the good dad

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Of course Tarquin is playing Elan, too.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Well I was off a few pegs with a misplaced motivation or two, but I totally called this!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
So when Tarquin shows up do you think he'll fight against Xykon or join him?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Brannock posted:

So when Tarquin shows up do you think he'll fight against Xykon or join him?

Why would Xykon want Tarquin on his side? They are deliberately diametrically opposed characters.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Because while Xykon has an amount of inherent cunning, Tarquin appears to be playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers. I can't imagine that it'd take much effort for him to mislead said lich about his goals and intentions until it serves him best.

Not that I think it's going to happen, but Xykon doesn't appear to be hard to mislead.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 12, 2011

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Cabbit posted:

Because while Xyklon has an amount of inherent cunning, Tarquin appears to be playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers. I can't imagine that it'd take much effort for him to mislead said lich about his goals and intentions until it serves him best.

Not that I think it's going to happen, but Xyklon doesn't appear to be hard to mislead.

What? Xykon is as much of a player as Tarquin. He just doesn't give a gently caress until you get in his way.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

terminal mehmet posted:

What? Xykon is as much of a player as Tarquin. He just doesn't give a gently caress until you get in his way.

He certainly has his moments, like I said the guy is definitely more cunning than he's given credit for, but I don't think he's as skillful a manipulator as Tarquin. Of course, when you're a high level sorcerer you generally don't need to be to get things done-- not so much when you're just a fighter.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Cabbit posted:

He certainly has his moments, like I said the guy is definitely more cunning than he's given credit for, but I don't think he's as skillful a manipulator as Tarquin. Of course, when you're a high level sorcerer you generally don't need to be to get things done-- not so much when you're just a fighter.

They definitely have different techniques.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't want to start off a whole alignment debate, because god there's just nothing more dull, but you could say we have three major players now, Xykon, Tarquin and Nale, who are (arguably, but it's always arguably) chaotic, lawful and neutral evil respectively, so each of the evil cloak guys in the background gets one protege, so to speak. I'm probably missing something that invalidates all this - and in any case there are still Redcloak, Sabine and the Monster - but if it played out that way that'd be a pretty good and subtle way to develop things.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I don't think Tarquin could fool Xykon. His "Power equals power" speech pretty much summed up Xykon's response to any manipulator who really tries to 'play' him. He's just as likely to look at Tarquin, recognize a dangerous schemer, and disintegrate him on the spot.

On the other hand, Xykon doesn't have much reason to confront him directly, so it's more likely Tarquin's agents or tools or whatnot will cause Xykon trouble instead.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Cabbit posted:

Because while Xykon has an amount of inherent cunning, Tarquin appears to be playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers. I can't imagine that it'd take much effort for him to mislead said lich about his goals and intentions until it serves him best.

Not that I think it's going to happen, but Xykon doesn't appear to be hard to mislead.

Sorry, Tarquin is a badass evil batman but he does not want to be close to Xykon. Xykon be crazy yo.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

So, now Tarquin knows about the Gates. Do we even need to see the rest of the story, or is Rich just going to write a paragraph about how Super Godking Tarquin made the universe a more efficient, blood-covered place?

...maybe I've spent too long worrying about Andrew Hussie.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

So here's my guess. Nale's been hanging around trying to recruit a powerful divine caster to replace Hilgya, since he already had Zz'ditri available for the arcane part of the Gate Spell.

Now that Tarquin knows the deal, we'll either see him, Malack, and the woman with the Ioun Stones showing up if they want to leave the other three in charge of their respective realms, or possibly all six of them if Tarquin declares a Team Emergency.

And if all six of Tarquin's crew outclass their Order of the Stick counterparts as badly as Tarquin outclassed Elan, then things are going to get pretty tough on our protagonists.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

DrakePegasus posted:

So, now Tarquin knows about the Gates. Do we even need to see the rest of the story, or is Rich just going to write a paragraph about how Super Godking Tarquin made the universe a more efficient, blood-covered place?

...maybe I've spent too long worrying about Andrew Hussie.

I don't remember if this is a Start of Darkness spoiler or not, so I'm spoilering it to be safe: Redcloak's Ritual isn't supposed to control the Snarl to give its (mortal) holders world domination, it's supposed to let The Dark One, God of the Goblins, unmake the world again and use the Snarl as a bargaining chip against the other Gods so that the next world is actually fair to goblinkind Unspoiled version: It's not quite that simple, as entertaining as it may be.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Archenteron posted:

I don't remember if this is a Start of Darkness spoiler or not, so I'm spoilering it to be safe: Redcloak's Ritual isn't supposed to control the Snarl to give its (mortal) holders world domination, it's supposed to let The Dark One, God of the Goblins, unmake the world again and use the Snarl as a bargaining chip against the other Gods so that the next world is actually fair to goblinkind Unspoiled version: It's not quite that simple, as entertaining as it may be.

Oh no, you're quite correct. Except, of course, that only Redcloak and the Dark One know what's going to happen. Everyone else believes the standard version...including Nale, so now Tarquin believes it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Tarquin is going to die trying to use the Gates and his scheme will collapse. In a few years, there will only be a handful of people who remember him.

Nale, you were smart enough to focus on your sorcerer levels but not smart enough to max out your concentration score?