Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Hellblazer187 posted:

I was curious if having my main bass be a short scale would ruin me for full size basses. I went to the guitar store in the mall and played around. Seems as though it's not that big of an adaptation really, I could pretty much do all my stuff. So that's good to know.
No. There are signature short scale basses (Wattplower, Justin Meldal-Johnsen Mustang, etc.) because some folks made their careers playing them. Also they are great for people with tiny hands like myself who sometimes get cramps playing a 34" scale bass on the first few frets after a while. I have discovered that I cannot comfortably play a 35" scale basically at all unless the song is slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i have like two hundred bucks i can spend on a bass. i prefer the sound of jazz basses... my favorite bassists use jazzes (and i like their tones). is the vintage modified SS jag bass a good buy?

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

landgrabber posted:

i have like two hundred bucks i can spend on a bass. i prefer the sound of jazz basses... my favorite bassists use jazzes (and i like their tones). is the vintage modified SS jag bass a good buy?

If you are ok with a short scale, I like that Jag.

If you can wait and scrape together some more, hard to beat a VM Jazz bass bang for buck. That's going to be a lot closer sounding than a SS PJ setup.

I'm seeing $225 plus hefty shipping on Reverb, anyway. Use that as a guide for local pricing.

Squier Affinity ($150) can be fine and upgraded over time instead of an all at once buy-in. The important part is the neck and its pocket. I'd probably get that before a PJ SS bass if I was looking for a Jazz.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i have that bass (squier) and replaced the pickups with quarter pounders. it sounds great and the neck feels very comfortable, if a little divey with a nylon strap

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
I'm afraid I've inadvertently created a monster:

Son is in band at school - plays tuba. I kinda allude that a bass fills similar roles in low-bottom end work so he borrows my bass and begins pestering the bass player in the band for lessons. He's taken to carrying the bass and the tuba back and forth to school and is even walking around the house noodling around on the bass from time to time.

Now he's like, "...can we get a 5 string?"

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Dammit_Carl! posted:

Well are you going to be a good parent or???

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Well are you going to be a good parent or???

Good parent for sure. Already scoped out a Squire Classic Precision at a pawn shop near work. Figure on seeing what kind of deal I can get.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Make him learn this song before the end of 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE1zgrMdxBE

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

Clicked the link and my fingers instantly cramped up. Muscle memory I guess.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Dammit_Carl! posted:

I'm afraid I've inadvertently created a monster:

Son is in band at school - plays tuba. I kinda allude that a bass fills similar roles in low-bottom end work so he borrows my bass and begins pestering the bass player in the band for lessons. He's taken to carrying the bass and the tuba back and forth to school and is even walking around the house noodling around on the bass from time to time.

Good on you, and good on him.

The summer before my freshman year in high school, my dad got me an electric bass--MIK Squier Bullet, which was an objectively bad instrument that I played exclusively for 4 or 5 years because I was poor. I grew up in a small town, so there weren't any options for lessons, but I'd played trumpet when I was younger, and the new high school band teacher was trying to recruit me. I told him I had a bass guitar, and he said that was wonderful, because the high school band barely had 15 people in it thanks to the horrible teacher who'd been fired before he took over. He said he'd give me lessons, and if I joined the band, they'd be free.

So, my training was pretty much classical--method books from the 1970s for electric bass, more established method books for string bass, etc. I learned how to read music before I'd ever seen tablature. In the band, I played tuba parts, so I learned to transpose up an octave, and sometimes for one piece, I'd have to go between a tuba part, a baritone part, and a trombone part. It gave me a very good grounding, and made me a unique player when I started playing in rock bands where we wrote our own stuff. If I hadn't started the way I did, I don't think I'd be the player that I am now.

(A 5-string was the first bass I bought with my own money--my graduation present money, to be exact.)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
So... before Christmas, I stopped at the local music shop, and they had the cutest little bass: the Ibanez Mikro. Its 28 1/2" scale was just so adorable, and it played surprisingly well. And, at that scale, you can easily bend up three half steps fairly low on the neck, which is just wacky. GAS began to kick in. Short scale GAS. SSGAS.

I kept it in check fairly well until I was at Guitar Center the other day, finishing up some Christmas shopping. And there it was, the delightfully cute Bronco Bass. It's a Squier bass from their Affinity Series, and check out these specs!

• 30" scale neck w/ maple fretboard
  • Frets
  • Body
  • Pickup
  • Volume, Tone knobs.

Yeah, "no frills" doesn't quite do it justice. I've ordered a red one because I want a living room bass--something I can sit on the couch with and fart around on. Also, it's cute and reminds me of an old red Precision that I used to own but traded away umpteen years ago. Who knows? I may mod it. The pickup is an off-the-shelf Strat pickup, so I can pop in a small humbucker when I get the gumption.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013

tarlibone posted:

Good on you, and good on him.

Thanks. Having not been prompted to follow my interests as a kid ("can't make money that way,") I honestly have gone the oppposite direction with my children.

End result is one child is fond of math and music and another is fond of languages and food/cooking. Both are smart, empathetic and empathic young adults and I couldn't be prouder.

Last bit was unneccessary but I crow about 'em when I can.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

I kind of want to learn Kortatu's Tatuado as my first song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upKtuURl3Ls

I've stalled a bit with my exercises, but I've been dicking around more, coming up with my own primitive little basslines. Mostly three notes total, but it still feels good.

e: or maybe La Familia Iskariote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeiRte6oLs8

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 28, 2018

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Cross-post from the new gear thread but wanted to thank those of you who recommended the Squier VM Jazz Bass for my home studio.

I went down to Guitar Center and my buddy hooked me up with a friends and family discount on a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass. After trading in an old piece of gear I haven't sold elsewhere and using a gift card, it cost me $56 out the door. My buddy threw in a new set of strings for free as well. I just restrung it and tested it out in Ableton and I am really impressed. Managed to snap a quick picture, the "natural" finish will match my Strat, but with a different pickguard. Going to have a lot of fun with this guy.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

MrSargent posted:

Cross-post from the new gear thread but wanted to thank those of you who recommended the Squier VM Jazz Bass for my home studio.

I went down to Guitar Center and my buddy hooked me up with a friends and family discount on a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass. After trading in an old piece of gear I haven't sold elsewhere and using a gift card, it cost me $56 out the door. My buddy threw in a new set of strings for free as well. I just restrung it and tested it out in Ableton and I am really impressed. Managed to snap a quick picture, the "natural" finish will match my Strat, but with a different pickguard. Going to have a lot of fun with this guy.

I have this in the five string version, I loving love it.

If you're bored here's my soundcloud featuring some tones I've managed from it. https://soundcloud.com/lfranco321 It's a surprisingly versatile and completely worth the price.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

MrSargent posted:

Holy crap, flats? Nice.

Yeah, for the studio, it's hard to beat a Jazz Bass. It's got every sound you're going to need right out of the box.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I just practiced some punk songs standing up and I've decided that the only reasonable fate for this Davison is to join a punk band or really lovely metal band with it because goddamn that is fun.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

I have this in the five string version, I loving love it.

If you're bored here's my soundcloud featuring some tones I've managed from it. https://soundcloud.com/lfranco321 It's a surprisingly versatile and completely worth the price.

Hmm I was just wondering how good the 5-fer is.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I finished a few of my home projects and opened up the Squier Pbass I got thrown in for free when I bought a combo off Craigslist. I've had this bass for over a year now and has a very surprisingly good neck. Just suits me. The rest of the bass needs help to be made fabulous. I played it out last week for its last gig in its current incarnation.

My goal for this project is to buy nothing new. Just to use leftover parts I have laying around and paints/dyes/etc from home projects. Something to do during the winter months when I'm bored. If I completely gently caress the whole thing up I'll just throw the neck on a warmoth body someday.

Initially I was going to go matte safety orange with gloss white stripes (like a traffic cone) and headstock opposite. But (A) I don't have the right orange and (B) earlier this year I did a few shou sugi ban projects and wanted to see that on a body. I wasn't expecting any figuring but holding out hope for anything interesting, but no.

After about 30s with the heat gun I could tell there'd be no grain. So I entered "gently caress it" mode and went to town. My putty knife was too sharp, and I am going to have a lot of hand sanding to do. The front is embarassingly-worse, but you can see and learn from my rush: gouges and burn marks. The sides are going to be worse. That's ok, I like sanding. Probably reshape it somewhat.

If I don't cave and buy some orange I'm leaning towards glitter like the block below. This sample is over a black dye base on some pine.

The stock pickguard I will either paint or cut a new one from hobby wood. Leaning more to the latter or reshape it so it doesn't follow the lower horn. This is a passive fender precision front chamber with typical harness mounted to the pickguard, and I really am not planning on routing out a panel on the back. So I need to cover that chamber but that's about it. I don't want to get ahead on this until I see the finished body, but I'll trace out some ideas.

Suggestions would be welcome! I've replaced every easy component on a bass individually before but this is my first complete overhaul. If I go black gotohs I'm not putting my OG badass II on this thing. That's the only black bridge I have; I'd have to buy a black bridge which goes against my whole starting point. The stock bridge and tuners are fine, just think black would look better against either an orange-cicle or glitter bass.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Anyone else just like, not practice at all over the holidays?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I was too busy gigging to practice... gotta find some woodshed time this weekend.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

For a few weeks in December I almost didn't practice at all because work was so crazy. Now I'm getting back into it. Came up with a couple of super cool and totally original 3 or 4-note basslines, I'm ready, too bad my drummer friend is insanely busy all the time so we haven't jammed yet

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Anyone else just like, not practice at all over the holidays?

I got my first bass for Christmas and proceeded to ruin my fingers over the break from playing so much. Its a good hurt.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I only stopped practicing because I was out of town for 10 days. If I'm at home, it's daily.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I got a Ray Brown technique book and The Real Book vol. 6 in bass clef for christmas. :hellyeah:

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

That's cool, I had a teacher in college who studied with Ray Brown...he was also buddies with Scott LaFaro. Speaking of Real Book, I was surprised that there are a lot more omnibooks out now and most of them have a bass clef version. In addition to the traditional Charlie Parker one, there are now omnibooks for Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Joe Pass, and (I think) Sonny Rollins.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
Got my Bronco Bass. 30" scale. Everything about it seems smaller than it is, and I'm actually glad I got this instead of a more serious short scale bass (like the Squier VM Jaguar SS), which I've also played and is perfectly fine an objectively better instrument. I wanted a toy-like bass for my living room so that when I'm on my couch watching TV, I'm not straining to manage a full-scale bass when I'm noodling aimlessly around the neck. Also, it weighs six and a half pounds.

There is a crazy detail about this bass, though, that tipped the scales and convinced me to choose the Bronco instead of the Mikro: while the build quality is decent (excellent for the price), this thing is assembled from the cheapest components they could get. The agathis body has no belly or forearm cut, the tuners are cheapo mini-tuners, the pickup is probably only covered because it's a six-pole Affinity Strat pickup, the neck finish is very light and matte--you get the idea. It's cheap.

But the bridge? It's a vintage-style bass bridge (similar to a Mustang bass bridge), and it only has two saddles. Yeah, like back in the '50s. They went super-cheap on this whole thing, but when it came to the bridge, someone over there said, "Hey, let's give it some vintage style and use this two-saddle, vintabge-shape bridge that we pretty much don't use on anything else." The saddles look cheap, but I don't think Fender or Squier uses them on anything else. Of all the unique parts to put on this bass, they settled on this. Ha! It's just such an odd little detail! So, so odd. And I love it.

Also, it plays really well. I'm pretty heavy-handed, but as long as I'm not digging in really hard around the middle of the neck, there's pretty much no rattle.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Just got a "new" (1998) MIJ Geddy Lee jazz bass like my old one, and it feels so loving good to have a quality bass back in my hands. Short unlisted video for yall of the first test after rehearsal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrhJ2TAAQxk

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Pokey Araya posted:

Just got a "new" (1998) MIJ Geddy Lee jazz bass like my old one, and it feels so loving good to have a quality bass back in my hands. Short unlisted video for yall of the first test after rehearsal.

What distortion are you using? That doesn't sound too shabby.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Pokey Araya posted:

That loving tone :aaaaa:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Brutal tone and copious quantities of volume... That feedback was tasty

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

tarlibone posted:

What distortion are you using? That doesn't sound too shabby.

I'm gonna bet it's just "amp is turned all the way up"

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
A little bit of distortion from a Thunderverb 200, through 2x10s and 2x15s and a Boss ODB-3 with the distortion all the way up, but the blend letting through some clean. It wasn’t that loud, my phone just can’t handle the volume. You can hear the snare rattling on the other side of the room.

Pokey Araya fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 5, 2019

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Pokey Araya posted:

A little bit of distortion from a Thunderverb 200, through 2x10s and 2x15s and a Boss ODB-3 with the distortion all the way up, but the blend letting through some clean. It wasn’t that loud, my phone just can’t handle the volume. You can hear the snare rattling on the other side of the room.

I'm ashamed of you for turning things down. But I'm only joking, that sounded sick as hell even through a phones mic. Id love to hear it with some proper recording equipment.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I have a Zoom H6 I just always forget to use it instead of my phone. I'm about to head over to the space, I'll try to nab a clip with the same settings. We're playing an outside stage tonight which should be fun, its 71 degrees right now, which is nice, and the forecast is 50 degrees by the time we play, shouldn't be so bad (hopefully, ohgod I hate playing with cold hands).

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
From the show the other night, first time playing that bass on stage. Sounds good from the second balcony, lovely instagram snaps I uploaded for y'all. I saw a few people with some rad video rigs, so full set should be getting posted soon. Our guitar player broke his low E string halfway through, and like a loving madman changed it while singing, I've never been so proud of that doofus. I can't wait to see the video of that part in particular.

(unlisted videos, just for the bass thread btw)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reD3uoavoX0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewV09zG8_c0

edit : Jesus christ I just check the stage specs, and 8, 18 inch subs powered by 3600 watts may have something to do with it.

Pokey Araya fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 9, 2019

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So someone here asked for a report on the Sire Marcus Miller 5 string P7 when I mentioned I was going to buy it.

I'm only an intermediate player that has been playing for a couple of years, and this is my first 5 string so keep that in mind.

I've been loving around it for 4 days now and I can't stop playing with it. Passive it doesnt sound too interesting but when its active its insane. Precision and Jazz pickups, an EQ that includes middle frequency and bass boost fiddling, I can play it so many different ways. That precision jazz blend knob.

The sound is ungodly smooth and its gonna be hard to go back to anything else.

It does need a setup, and there are some paint issues with there are weird clumps of paint in minute portions but its a beautiful looking machine and a lot lighter than I thought it would be.

thx to the person who reccommeded it.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

tarlibone posted:

But the bridge? It's a vintage-style bass bridge (similar to a Mustang bass bridge), and it only has two saddles. Yeah, like back in the '50s. They went super-cheap on this whole thing, but when it came to the bridge, someone over there said, "Hey, let's give it some vintage style and use this two-saddle, vintabge-shape bridge that we pretty much don't use on anything else." The saddles look cheap, but I don't think Fender or Squier uses them on anything else. Of all the unique parts to put on this bass, they settled on this. Ha! It's just such an odd little detail! So, so odd. And I love it.
The Bronco basically is a lower grade version of the Fender Musicmaster Bass which had a 6 pole guitar pickup and 2 saddle bridge. Squier reissued the Musicmaster Bass years ago with the Vista series which actually was nicer than the original but then came out with the Bronco after discontinuing the Musicmaster.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

man I'm already noticing alot of scratches on the pickup guard of my Siri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Shageletic posted:

man I'm already noticing alot of scratches on the pickup guard of my Siri.

That’s the point! Use that bass and make it your own!