Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Kerro posted:

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, you're right re: being first-time parents - I thought it was probably not likely to be an issue for too long plus it's not like there aren't existing hazards, but I wanted to try and accommodate that. I might just go with getting some stick on corners that they can pull off once she's a little bit older.

I'm not sure about setting the height based on the toddler's height. In my mind at least I can picture a trajectory where a really determined toddler could catch their forehead on a coffee table regardless of the dimensions.

Make it nice, and cut a nice bumper/edge trim for it that they can remove "once the danger has passed"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
Picked this beauty up tonight for $25 off craigslist-

A little elbow grease later...

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

bimmian posted:

A little elbow grease later...

Nice. Gonna build some picture frames now?

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
Finished a little entrance bench to go next to my front door. Cherry & walnut.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Meow Meow Meow posted:

That's really nice, I love the mixed colours - I've wanted to do a few projects with mixed wood, but I have no idea how to know whether it would be feasible to laminate different types together or if they are likely to split over time. From seeing other people's work it's clearly possible with some woods but not others but I don't know enough about it to know how you tell.

I finished the first project that I made entirely in the home workshop (previously I'd just made stuff as part of a course using much nicer machinery than anything I could afford). Built from recycled rimu (a piece of which I included for reference in the photo) salvaged from house demolitions, of which there have been many in Christchurch due to the earthquake a few years back.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Kerro posted:

That's really nice, I love the mixed colours - I've wanted to do a few projects with mixed wood, but I have no idea how to know whether it would be feasible to laminate different types together or if they are likely to split over time. From seeing other people's work it's clearly possible with some woods but not others but I don't know enough about it to know how you tell.

I finished the first project that I made entirely in the home workshop (previously I'd just made stuff as part of a course using much nicer machinery than anything I could afford). Built from recycled rimu (a piece of which I included for reference in the photo) salvaged from house demolitions, of which there have been many in Christchurch due to the earthquake a few years back.

Thanks, I don't think laminating different species is too much to worry about as once the wood is kiln dried it's not going to move a crazy amount, but of course it also depends on the sizes you laminate. Large pieces will have much more movement than small pieces. If you want to get really serious about it you could calculate the movement using a calculator (http://www.woodworkerssource.com/shop/move.html), there's also plenty of books on the subject. Another thing to consider would be if one wood type moved a lot, would the glue and other wood provide enough strength the keep everything in check? Don't know if anyone has made a calculator or done in-depth research on that.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Thanks for the advice earlier; using a circular saw and four sacrificial 2x4s on the deck worked well for cutting plywood and acrylic. I used scrap wood and clamps as a guide.

I'm looking to build a solar still, with a wood frame, and have a question about joints. There are a number of strong wood joints that involve interlocking, but most/all seem to require sophisticated tools and techniques, so I'm likely going to use butt joints. I'd like to be able to take apart the joints if possible; can I just drive screws into the joints with a drill? Pre-drill, or just have at it with the screw bit? I'm worried about tearing out the joints.

What I'm thinking:

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 8, 2015

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Dominoes posted:

Thanks for the advice earlier; using a circular saw and four sacrificial 2x4s on the deck worked well for cutting plywood and acrylic. I used scrap wood and clamps as a guide.

I'm looking to build a solar still, with a wood frame, and have a question about joints. There are a number of strong wood joints that involve interlocking, but most/all seem to require sophisticated tools and techniques, so I'm likely going to use butt joints. I'd like to be able to take apart the joints if possible; can I just drive screws into the joints with a drill? Pre-drill, or just have at it with the screw bit? I'm worried about tearing out the joints.

What I'm thinking:

Does your saw have a depth setting? You can use that to make rabbets, grooves, and dadoes.

Glueless, screwed butt joints can do fine, depending on the number of screws and the weight they need to hold.

Another option is to glue and screw a ledge to the inside of the project and lay the board on that.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The only child-safe furniture is made of foam rubber. Kids can brain themselves on floors and walls, anything smaller is just a different shape bruise. Make a copy in foam, they can have the real table later :v:

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Meow Meow Meow posted:

This is really nice. I really like the walnut through tenons .

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

This turned out great!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Cakefool posted:

The only child-safe furniture is made of foam rubber. Kids can brain themselves on floors and walls, anything smaller is just a different shape bruise. Make a copy in foam, they can have the real table later :v:

Absolute, irrefutable fact.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Update on the the stool from the weekend. I spent a lot of time with a rasp and a file shaping everything. I decided to cut an arced chamfer on the outside corners of the legs, then did a similar treatment to the other edges. A thinkin man would have did this before gluing it all together, but I love shaping walnut, so it wasn't too bad.

The top cross members are two really short pieces. I didnt feel like dovetailing them, so I used my kreg jig. They were kind of a pain in the rear end to screw together, but it works.

The next thing I did was shape the bottom of the feet. It curves like this on two of the faces. I cut the bulk of the waste away with a handsaw, then cleaned it up with a file. Like I said before, a thinkin man would have did this with a bandsaw before hand.

Preshaping:

Cleaning up outside chamfer with a spokeshave file:

This shows most of the shaping close to finished:

After lots of sanding I got the first coat of oil on it:

One of my favorite details. Where the chamfer slightly exposes the end of the dovetail on the legs:

mds2 fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 9, 2015

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

mds2 posted:

Update on the the stool from the weekend. I spent a lot of time with a rasp and a file shaping everything. I decided to cut an arced chamfer on the outside corners of the legs, then did a similar treatment to the other edges. A thinkin man would have did this before gluing it all together, but I love shaping walnut, so it wasn't too bad.

The next thing I did was shape the bottom of the fit. It curves like this on two of the faces. I cut the bulk of the waste away with a handsaw, then cleaned it up with a file. Like I said before, a thinkin man would have did this with a bandsaw before hand.
ding I got the first coat of oil on it:

One of my favorite details. Where the chamfer slightly exposes the end of the dovetail on the legs:

Hell, that's elegant, a thinkin man probly would have ruined it by over thinkin.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Somewhat woodworking related.
I have some floors that I'd like to re-poly. If I clean the floor with a cleaner (was thinking acetone or similar) to clean up any residue of cleaners or waxes. A few other questions:

Not sure if it was oil or water based poly is it okay to put oil over water based.. it's my understanding that the "base" is the solvents that dry so if it's dry (6 months) then it doesn't matter.

Am I okay with putting another coat on top or do I have to sand it all down to wood? Do i need to just sand to rough it up abut?

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
Acetone might be a bit strong and dissolve the old finish. I dont think it matters if it's water over oil based poly as it sounds like it's fully cured at this point. Poly doesn't stick to itself though, so you'll have to rough up the surface to get a mechanical bond. A lot of people use floor buffers with sanding screens to do this.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Has anyone here tried making their own riving knife/splitter?

I got my saw used so it never came with one, and I'm thinking I should really get something going to increase safety. It hasn't been an issue yet, but I was resawing a lot of 2x4s recently and it can be a bit scary.

I found some posts on users who have made their own, and it seems like a pretty good solution. I have a lot of old saw blades I could cut up to make one. My only worry is making sure I do it right. But it seems easy enough.
http://lumberjocks.com/topics/63232
https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/power-tools/woodworking-discussion-forum/25492-r4511-low-profile-riving-knife-homemade

Another option is just getting the microjig splitter. But in Canada they are $50 locally for the metal one. Seems pricey for a small plastic jig and some metal. They have a plastic version, but I feel like I'll break them often as I use my table saw as a bench a lot (small shop).
Ordering online is cheaper but not by much once you count shipping, the terrible CDN dollar, and border fees.
http://www.microjig.com/products/mj-splitter/

3rd option is a Frank Howarth style splitter. This would be fast and easy but same as above I think I'd break them. More so since they aren't removable. At least they'd be cheap to replace though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNXuYlwI8N0

The first option seems like the most fun solution. Thoughts?

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 9, 2015

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

tater_salad posted:

Somewhat woodworking related.
I have some floors that I'd like to re-poly. If I clean the floor with a cleaner (was thinking acetone or similar) to clean up any residue of cleaners or waxes. A few other questions:

Not sure if it was oil or water based poly is it okay to put oil over water based.. it's my understanding that the "base" is the solvents that dry so if it's dry (6 months) then it doesn't matter.

Am I okay with putting another coat on top or do I have to sand it all down to wood? Do i need to just sand to rough it up abut?

Like the other poster mentioned acetone will take up everything not nailed down. It is extremely hot. Simple Green will clean up waxes and the like. A water based finish should be safe to go over after 6 months, it evaporates and the actual finish is pretty stable.
And roughing up the existing finish before applying a new one over it is always a good idea.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Acetone was the first thing I culd think of, probably would have researched something better like simple green.

Okay thanks for the avice.. sanding screen on a buffer, wipe it up.. poly it down.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Thanks, I don't think laminating different species is too much to worry about as once the wood is kiln dried it's not going to move a crazy amount, but of course it also depends on the sizes you laminate. Large pieces will have much more movement than small pieces. If you want to get really serious about it you could calculate the movement using a calculator (http://www.woodworkerssource.com/shop/move.html), there's also plenty of books on the subject. Another thing to consider would be if one wood type moved a lot, would the glue and other wood provide enough strength the keep everything in check? Don't know if anyone has made a calculator or done in-depth research on that.

Thanks, that's helpful. I wanted to put some mahogany inlays into the rimu table I'm building but wasn't sure how well that would work in practice.

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

Has anyone here tried making their own riving knife/splitter?

I asked about this a little earlier in the thread, and got as far as getting a template for the riving knife that would have originally come with my saw and some sheet steel of the right thickness, but haven't actually tried making it yet as I've found that for what I typically need to do I can just feed the wood in from one side of the saw so that I'm not in line with the kickback, as someone else had suggested in the thread. It seems like it should be a fairly straightforward process to make a riving knife though - I also had the advice of making it from another saw blade, but I found in my case it wasn't easy to find a saw blade thick enough to use for that purpose since the blade itself is a lot thinner than the kerf on the blade I'm using on the saw.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Stool update. Construction completed. I had been putting off cutting the seat because I knew the blank was too tall for my bandsaw. The plan was to drive to the other side of town to use my friend's saw. I couldn't remember how much it was over capacity as I glued it up a few weeks ago. Finally I just set it on the saw to see how close it was:

Not worth the drive across town. I tried to adjust the saw guide up as far as I could. Even considered cutting it without the cover on the saw as that gave me an extra 1/32" of height. Finally I ended up running the blank over the jointer until it just fit.

After cutting and a little sanding:

Cleaned with mineral spirits:

Next I need to mate the two pieces. If I had a domino I domino it, but I don't so I decided to use dowels. I drilled four holes in the base and then placed dowel centers in the holes. I set the seat on top, and then pushed down to create the corresponding center parks.

Remember those kreg screw I used? I hit one drilling the dowel holes and ruined a forstner bit:

Next add glue and clamp it together:

After that I wiped the seat down with BLO.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Bravo, it's gorgeous!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Now I have a lathe. Apologies for crappy cell phone photo. Not sure if I want to keep it permanently at that bench, but it is very heavy to lift!

Also scored an old lamp for 5 euros, need to get more of these and put them around the band saw and drill press too.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat
Finally saved up to replace the lovely fence on my old craftsman table saw. It was so worth it:

It's like a whole new saw! I've never had a table saw fence that was always aligned with the miter slots and it's amazing. I will never have to measure at the front and back of the blade a half-dozen times to get things right. I've had this saw in my shop since mid-summer and have only used it for cross-cuts because I refused to put the old lovely fence back on. I did notice last night that the blade is just a tiny bit closer to the back of the fence than the front, so I'll have to readjust the trunnions later, but that isn't too big of a job. Also gave me a chance to put the micro-jig splitter on there finally.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

swampface posted:

Finally saved up to replace the lovely fence on my old craftsman table saw. It was so worth it:

It's like a whole new saw! I've never had a table saw fence that was always aligned with the miter slots and it's amazing. I will never have to measure at the front and back of the blade a half-dozen times to get things right. I've had this saw in my shop since mid-summer and have only used it for cross-cuts because I refused to put the old lovely fence back on. I did notice last night that the blade is just a tiny bit closer to the back of the fence than the front, so I'll have to readjust the trunnions later, but that isn't too big of a job. Also gave me a chance to put the micro-jig splitter on there finally.

lol, bad memories. I think every woodworking newbie ought to have to start with a craftsman tablesaw.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

So I decided to build this thing but want to make it a bit taller. That means moving the legs out closer to the edge of the table. The plan puts them at 4 1/4 inchs from the edge. If I raise want to raise it 3 inches, that puts the legs at 1 1/4 inches from the edge. Would that cause any problems? I don't think the center of the table is going to lose any strength from moving them out.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Anyone have any experience with milk paint? I'm going to be using some on a pair of nightstand tables I've been building. I'll be mixing my own, from this recipe http://www.earthpigments.com/milk-paint-with-lime/.

On that note, anyone need lime? I now have 30 kilos in my car.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Free Market Mambo posted:

Anyone have any experience with milk paint? I'm going to be using some on a pair of nightstand tables I've been building. I'll be mixing my own, from this recipe http://www.earthpigments.com/milk-paint-with-lime/.

On that note, anyone need lime? I now have 30 kilos in my car.

Marc from the wood whisperer did a video on milk paint.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

DevNull posted:

So I decided to build this thing but want to make it a bit taller. That means moving the legs out closer to the edge of the table. The plan puts them at 4 1/4 inchs from the edge. If I raise want to raise it 3 inches, that puts the legs at 1 1/4 inches from the edge. Would that cause any problems? I don't think the center of the table is going to lose any strength from moving them out.

I don't see any issues. The top is thick enough it doesn't need center support. As I look at the plan I wonder if there isn't a simpler way to brace the legs than angled bracing.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Can someone link a decent 4-6 piece chisel set for lathe work? I'm upgrading from my cheap set but Amazon's not much help here. Under $80 would be great.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Mr. Mambold posted:

lol, bad memories. I think every woodworking newbie ought to have to start with a craftsman tablesaw.

It's not so bad now that it's got an aftermarket fence, miter gauge, zero clearance insert, and splitter! Unfortunately my forrest blade seems to have picked up a slight bend after 15 or so years. Guess that was probably worth it in the long run though.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My impression is the Emerson Craftsman saw was basically well built but crippled by a mediocre fence, I've never used one though.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My local hardware store sells clear (knot-free) 18mm pine, is this an easy wood to get started with on babies first bookcase? They also sell spruce boards but they're pieced together from a thousand lumps and strips, not proper boards.

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking
I made a faux-barnwood picture frame! Let's pretend the lovely miter cuts are part of the effect...

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Looks awesome! That's the best part of rustic frames, the more you gently caress up the more 'rustic' they are.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Cakefool posted:

My local hardware store sells clear (knot-free) 18mm pine, is this an easy wood to get started with on babies first bookcase? They also sell spruce boards but they're pieced together from a thousand lumps and strips, not proper boards.

18mm is approx. 3/4", right? You can make bookcases with pine. If they have a grade with small knots, no voids, it should be cheaper- and more attractive, imo.

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

The Dave posted:

Looks awesome! That's the best part of rustic frames, the more you gently caress up the more 'rustic' they are.

Thanks! I caught the framing bug (god that sounds weird...) and have been falling deeper down the rabbit hole (holy poo poo tools and materials add up fast...). It's a fun way to showcase my pictures, but I've been seriously questioning myself recently whether I could ever actually make any money doing this. Anybody here work in the framing business?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Would love for you to show off your process, because I want to get better at making frames.

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

The Dave posted:

Would love for you to show off your process, because I want to get better at making frames.

I'm just learning too, but I'll throw something together this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Which one of you made that neato hidden magnetic lock for a cupboard door to keep kids out? I've been clicking through the thread trying to find it without any luck.