Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm also in the "not enough developer" camp here. I'm guessing this is 120? Are you sure your tank takes 500ml? I think my tank uses 590ml for a roll of 120, it's usually printed on the bottom.

There's no other reason it would follow a horizontal line on the film like that. I guess you could have leaked some light when loading it or something but I'm 99.99% sure you either didn't have enough chemistry in there or it floated up without that little c-clip (really important on 35mm, less important on 120).

Definitely 120 and I have developed plenty of 120 film in the past without this issue. I'm also looking at the reel right now and it is all the way at the bottom where the base of the reel holder is. This is a Patterson tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Paul MaudDib posted:

[...]
I guess you could have leaked some light when loading it or something but I'm 99.99% sure you either didn't have enough chemistry in there or it floated up without that little c-clip (really important on 35mm, less important on 120).

Yeah, what's weird is my Paterson came without that clip. Most of the time I got away without it, developing 120, like Paul said, but one time -- well I didn't.
Since then I just load two spools on the spindle anyway, just to be sure.

Ninja Edit: Yeah I'm almost certain now that it floated up. It also goes down again in wash (because the tank is being filled to brim) so you usually can't see it after the fact.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

VomitOnLino posted:

Ninja edit: Yeah then it's very likely that your reel moved up and down the spindle.

If you are sure you had enough volume of developer then this is probably what happened.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

pootiebigwang posted:

Definitely 120 and I have developed plenty of 120 film in the past without this issue. I'm also looking at the reel right now and it is all the way at the bottom where the base of the reel holder is. This is a Patterson tank.

It goes up when you agitate, and then there's not enough force to resettle it when you set it back down. One thing I would suggest is changing your agitation style. I pick the tank and tilt it about 15* and then swirl it in like a cone shape. My personal opinion (unfounded) is that this makes the reel less likely to slide upwards or generate air bubbles.

VomitOnLino posted:

Yeah, what's weird is my Paterson came without that clip. Most of the time I got away without it, developing 120, like Paul said, but one time -- well I didn't.

They're really loving easy to lose since they're a nondescript piece of plastic that is removed at precisely the most interesting/busy second of the photographic process (pulling the developed film out of the tank/fixer, seeing your pictures for the first time, then getting it squeeged and drying before it gets hosed up somehow, possibly also dealing with the other tanks you've got in progress).

The next time you put in a Freestyle order get like a half dozen of the Arista branded clips. They're like a quarter each or something and it sucks to gently caress up a roll because you don't have one.

e: Pootie if you put in a Freestyle order get some Rodinal too ("Compard R09", not "R09 special") , it's awesome and lasts forever :allears:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 25, 2013

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
All my tanks are 590ml for 120 (I always use 600ml for ease).

Also did you bang the tank on the side of the sink/ground a couple of times after each set of agitations? This helps the bubbles move and also keep that reel at the bottom of the tank.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
I was not even aware that a clip for that existed. I almost always use way more developer than needed though so I have just never run into needing one.

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis

Portra. These are scanned, but on Monday I'm going to try to take the second one up to 16x20 in the wet lab.

Also, a squirrel.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Is this in Santa Cruz?

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis
Nope, down south about three hours in Avila Beach.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, I keep forgetting this forum exists a I stumble through figuring some stuff out in my darkroom. I bought a complete setup of Craigslist from someone who was moving. I have an Omega B66 enlarger with all the accessories for 35mm and up to 2 1/4" square EXCEPT the lens for actually projecting the medium format image. I believe I need an 80 mm lens to do this (correct me if I'm wrong), but I also need a lens that will mount.

Right now the lens on the head is a Nikon 50mm with a threaded mount of some sort. B&H only has one lock mount for this enlarger and it is an M39 Leica thread. Do I basically just need to find a lens in 80 mm with the proper threads?

I appreciate all help. I've got a few older 620 cameras, but I've held off on springing for the film since I can't print it yet.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mr. Powers posted:

Right now the lens on the head is a Nikon 50mm with a threaded mount of some sort. B&H only has one lock mount for this enlarger and it is an M39 Leica thread. Do I basically just need to find a lens in 80 mm with the proper threads?

Yes, I think most enlarger lenses have the same threads and one that doesn't will probably have a large-format style thread-and-flange that clamps down on any appropriately-sized hole in the board. At least most lenses of any given focal length should, there may be different hole diameters for larger lenses or something I guess. 50->80mm probably won't be a problem though.

My suggestion would be to not spend a lot of money. You can't hardly give this stuff away any more, last summer I literally picked up an entire 4x5 enlarger and a bunch of support stuff for $free. Any random enlarger lens (Enlarging Raptar, some Ektars, anything triplet-based) is worth maybe $5-10. A good one (4-element, EL-Nikkor or Componon) is probably a $30 item. I picked up a set of the nice high-end 6-element Componon-S 50/80/150 for $50 each and that's about normal if you are patient and watch eBay/Apug/wherever. The only thing you should be paying more for is something really exotic like an APO Componon, which were modern lenses released around the time everyone stopped buying enlarger stuff and so never really hit market saturation.

Do you have a dichro head? If not, do you have a set of filters?

By the way I highly doubt you have everything, there's ALWAYS another thing that will make your life easier working in pitch black with photosensitive materials :) Got a grain focuser? It's a PAIN to get focus without one. Speed Easels? 4-blade easels? Fancy contact printing frame? Glassed carriers to keep things flat? Vacuum easel? Cold light head? Enlarging is an awesome, fun process but I will be the first to admit that it nickels and dimes you in a way that not even shooting film does.

Also don't hold off springing for the film. Go shoot some film now and get some practice with the rest of the process. You can do contact prints even with your 50mm (since you will just be using it to throw a nice even square of light for you to expose with). Get a piece of foam and a sheet of plate glass, put the paper on the foam and position the negative sleeve over the paper, press down gently with the glass, and trigger the enlarger. Note that depending on the 620 camera you may not get great results from enlarging - Kodak's business model was to get a camera in every hand to sell the film, and large negative sizes compensated for the low lens quality by allowing lower magnifications. Some of them were intended for contact printing or small prints only and won't really stand up to much enlargement. Others had real lenses and will do just fine, there's a few real gems too.

I'm not a huge fan of 620 since it needs to be respooled, but I see you haven't posted in the film thread before and if you haven't experienced pulling wet negatives out of the fixer you really need to go do that right now. It's pretty much the best part of photography for me - you spend all that time working on something that is entirely in your head and you can't see, you have to fumble around in the dark and then gamble you didn't mess any of it up, and then suddenly you open the tank and there's beautiful little pictures on a piece of dripping plastic. Medium format slides are something else you should really try at least once.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yes, I think most enlarger lenses have the same threads and one that doesn't will probably have a large-format style thread-and-flange that clamps down on any appropriately-sized hole in the board. At least most lenses of any given focal length should, there may be different hole diameters for larger lenses or something I guess. 50->80mm probably won't be a problem though.

My suggestion would be to not spend a lot of money. You can't hardly give this stuff away any more, last summer I literally picked up an entire 4x5 enlarger and a bunch of support stuff for $free. Any random enlarger lens (Enlarging Raptar, some Ektars, anything triplet-based) is worth maybe $5-10. A good one (4-element, EL-Nikkor or Componon) is probably a $30 item. I picked up a set of the nice high-end 6-element Componon-S 50/80/150 for $50 each and that's about normal if you are patient and watch eBay/Apug/wherever. The only thing you should be paying more for is something really exotic like an APO Componon, which were modern lenses released around the time everyone stopped buying enlarger stuff and so never really hit market saturation.

Do you have a dichro head? If not, do you have a set of filters?

By the way I highly doubt you have everything, there's ALWAYS another thing that will make your life easier working in pitch black with photosensitive materials :) Got a grain focuser? It's a PAIN to get focus without one. Speed Easels? 4-blade easels? Fancy contact printing frame? Glassed carriers to keep things flat? Vacuum easel? Cold light head? Enlarging is an awesome, fun process but I will be the first to admit that it nickels and dimes you in a way that not even shooting film does.

Also don't hold off springing for the film. Go shoot some film now and get some practice with the rest of the process. You can do contact prints even with your 50mm (since you will just be using it to throw a nice even square of light for you to expose with). Get a piece of foam and a sheet of plate glass, put the paper on the foam and position the negative sleeve over the paper, press down gently with the glass, and trigger the enlarger. Note that depending on the 620 camera you may not get great results from enlarging - Kodak's business model was to get a camera in every hand to sell the film, and large negative sizes compensated for the low lens quality by allowing lower magnifications. Some of them were intended for contact printing or small prints only and won't really stand up to much enlargement. Others had real lenses and will do just fine, there's a few real gems too.

I'm not a huge fan of 620 since it needs to be respooled, but I see you haven't posted in the film thread before and if you haven't experienced pulling wet negatives out of the fixer you really need to go do that right now. It's pretty much the best part of photography for me - you spend all that time working on something that is entirely in your head and you can't see, you have to fumble around in the dark and then gamble you didn't mess any of it up, and then suddenly you open the tank and there's beautiful little pictures on a piece of dripping plastic. Medium format slides are something else you should really try at least once.

I actually have most of what you listed. The guy had a pretty good dark room setup, and basically sold off his B&W setup. The carriers are glassless, which has worked fairly well for 35mm. I've used this setup with 35mm for a few rolls (I don't use it as often as I'd like) and it works well.
I spent about a month trying to figure out why all my prints were low contrast. I thought I had a light leak because I was getting a lot of light around the image. It turned out there was just years of dust on the back of the enlarging lens so it was scattering the light.
The head is just a condenser. I picked up a set of Ilford filters for multigrade printing (when I was trying to figure out my contrast problem). If I ever step to color, I'll probably pick up some new cheap equipment.

I'll measure the threads on the 50 on it right now. Are there are known good places to pick up cheap used enlarging lenses? B&H has a used Nikkor 75 with the threads for $80 which is more than I've spent on everything else in the room combined.

Edit: I have a grain focuser but it's either missing a piece, broken, or I have no idea how to use it. Basically I just see light when looking through it, even when the image is pretty sharp to the eye.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mr. Powers posted:

I'll measure the threads on the 50 on it right now. Are there are known good places to pick up cheap used enlarging lenses? B&H has a used Nikkor 75 with the threads for $80 which is more than I've spent on everything else in the room combined.

Edit: I have a grain focuser but it's either missing a piece, broken, or I have no idea how to use it. Basically I just see light when looking through it, even when the image is pretty sharp to the eye.

Dichro isn't a big deal, just nice to have. I would look up which Nikkor model specifically from the focal length and f-stop, some of the EL-Nikkors are also 6-element and that would be decent if so. APUG would be my go-to here, there's very frequently someone drying to get rid of some darkroom basics like that.

Grain focusers are really tricky to get used to. They have a really narrow viewing angle and also can't be viewed if you are too close or too far away. Try playing around with where you position your head, or it could just be broken. You just want to focus wide open until you see pepper grain and get that as sharp as possible.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Oh, another thing: I'm guessing all my chemicals are bad now. It's been almost 2 years since I've developed/printed anything. They were diluted from concentrates. It's it possible the concentrates are okay still? There would have been air in the bottle with them.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Develop a test roll. If the images are worth enough to you that you don't want to lose them, just buy new chemicals.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mr. Powers posted:

Oh, another thing: I'm guessing all my chemicals are bad now. It's been almost 2 years since I've developed/printed anything. They were diluted from concentrates. It's it possible the concentrates are okay still? There would have been air in the bottle with them.

Dump them if you care. They may work but is saving the $30 for new chemicals really worth messing up a $5 roll of film plus all the time you spent shooting it?

By the way what format will you be enlarging? 80mm is only meant for 6x6, it will not handle 6x9 if that's what you have. Your enlarger won't go bigger than 6x6 either.

One thing you may also need is a different lens cone. Omega D2s need them for sure. I think the B66 should be OK but I'm not positive.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 25, 2013

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Dump them if you care. They may work but is saving the $30 for new chemicals really worth messing up a $5 roll of film plus all the time you spent shooting it?

By the way what format will you be enlarging? 80mm is only meant for 6x6, it will not handle 6x9 if that's what you have. Your enlarger won't go bigger than 6x6 either.

One thing you may also need is a different lens cone. Omega D2s need them for sure. I think the B66 should be OK but I'm not positive.

The only medium cameras I have shoot 6x6 on 620 film and the only medium film carrier I have for the enlarger is 6x6 as well. I've got a friend that wants to do some printing, so we'll probably just split costs on a new batch of chemicals.

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005
There is someone in my area selling a darkroom setup that I can pick up for $175. It includes:

quote:

Simmon Omega D2 Enlarger (with base and German Rodenstock-Omegaron 1:3.5 50mm (with f stops of 3.5 - 5.6), film holders, etc. Also have all size developing trays, GraLab timer, darkroom lights.
There's also a developing tank for 35mm film, several filters for the enlarger. A Kodak Print Scale. A box for making contact prints. A thermometer, and lots of odds and ends and some paper stock
My only film experience was in an intro photo class so I don't know darkroom equipment well at all. I loved the darkroom experience and would like to get into printing my own photos. I'm not in a rush, but is this a good deal or just be patient and keep an eye out for better deals?

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

FACKER posted:

There is someone in my area selling a darkroom setup that I can pick up for $175. It includes:

My only film experience was in an intro photo class so I don't know darkroom equipment well at all. I loved the darkroom experience and would like to get into printing my own photos. I'm not in a rush, but is this a good deal or just be patient and keep an eye out for better deals?

That's an ok deal. Nice lens.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Why isn't Ektar 400 a thing?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I have a feeling it's that Kodak wanted to make a slide film replacement and didn't really see any point going faster than 100, as the vast majority of the now defunct Ektachromes were 100 iso or less.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Speaking of slide film, is there a way to print slides? My grandfather had tens of thousands that he took over the years (we buried him with a lot of them because he never let any go), and though a bunch have been digitized, I'd love to print some of them in my dark room. The other problem I'd probably run into would be that they're all color slides and I'm only setup for B&W printing.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mr. Powers posted:

Speaking of slide film, is there a way to print slides? My grandfather had tens of thousands that he took over the years (we buried him with a lot of them because he never let any go), and though a bunch have been digitized, I'd love to print some of them in my dark room. The other problem I'd probably run into would be that they're all color slides and I'm only setup for B&W printing.

It's called a Cibachrome print. Unfortunately, the materials have been discontinued.

This is really a shame, because it takes a really good scan to match a print done with a precisely set-up enlarger system. An Epson 500 is no match for a grain-focused aligned 6-element lens projecting straight off the negative onto a vacuum easel. At this point, positive enlarging is lost for anything bigger than a 3x4 Fujiroid print. Maybe Impossible Project will bring back some big color Polaroid film someday.

At best you could probably do some B+W positive prints, as that paper is still made.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 29, 2013

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kodak just announced they're selling their film business. RIP Kodak.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
On the other hand, maybe Kodak's film line will be in a more sustainable position with a new company instead of being chained to a dying dinosaur of a company.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

From what I've read, it'll all still be sold the in the yellow Kodak boxes, made at the same factory by the same people. And like HPL said, the big positive, not attached to a failing ink jet printer company.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Kodak just announced they're selling their film business. RIP Kodak.

We have known Kodak was going to do that for months. Get worried when they stop producing motion picture film, then it's over.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

But...they just released Vision3 8mm...for some reason... :smith:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

See? We will have Portra for a long rear end time.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Just as an update on the Kodak PI division sell off:
http://www.bjp-online.com/british-j...0pension%20plan

Basically they've sold the film division to the Kodak pension plan, who are looking to this as a growing revenue stream to fund ex-Kodak employee pensions. It's UK based, but all the coating facilities in Rochester will come under their control, along with the paper coating facilities in the UK.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

It's a good sign.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Spedman posted:

Just as an update on the Kodak PI division sell off:
http://www.bjp-online.com/british-j...0pension%20plan

Basically they've sold the film division to the Kodak pension plan, who are looking to this as a growing revenue stream to fund ex-Kodak employee pensions. It's UK based, but all the coating facilities in Rochester will come under their control, along with the paper coating facilities in the UK.

Dear Kodak UK, please sell your poo poo to Ilford when you are done with it. TIA

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Would Ilford touch colour film? That'd be sweet.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Would Ilford touch colour film? That'd be sweet.

If they get a complete production line and formulary they'll probably do it. If Harman (i.e. the "UK Ilford", not the actual Swiss company named Ilford which only produces inkjet paper) buys Kodak's film division I think they might market it under the name Kodak Harman.
Question is what they'd do to the B/W films that overlap their own range. Would they kill off Tri-X and T-Max entirely or actually try to sell it alongside the traditional Ilford lines?

Another possible buyer might be whoever runs the weird film businesses in Germany. (I think it's might actually be Maco somehow? Whoever produces the films marketed under Rollei and Agfa brands these days.)

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
You know who should buy Kodak? loving Freestyle that's who.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Maybe the Chinese company that's cranking out Shanghai GP3 will buy it.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

8th-samurai posted:

You know who should buy Kodak? loving Freestyle that's who.

Ugh, yes, this please. "Arista Premium NC 160" aka $3 portra

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

And then you'll only be able to buy portra from Freestyle and they'll be an order limit and no cheap shipping. Sounds great!

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

Mr. Despair posted:

And then you'll only be able to buy portra from Freestyle and they'll be an order limit and no cheap shipping. Sounds great!

Even with their $25 minimum and a high shipping estimate of $10 you'd be paying $40 for ten rolls instead of five (5 rolls of 35mm portra is currently $36 on amazon)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
As long as we are posting film pipedreams let's go ahead and hope Freestyle starts fulfilling through Amazon and makes their poo poo prime eligible.