Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

nsaP posted:

Personally it annoys me when someone lowballs me over email having not seen the bike.

Agreed, I won't even consider an offer until at least I talk to the person on the phone or in person. Funny how much commitment it takes for a person just to call you instead of texting/email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
At least you're not dealing with sportbikes. First email I got on the 636 was "How good does it wheelie, I want to be a stunter so need a good bike for stunts". :sigh:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Gnaghi posted:

At least you're not dealing with sportbikes. First email I got on the 636 was "How good does it wheelie, I want to be a stunter so need a good bike for stunts". :sigh:

Well it is one of the best stunt bikes ever made.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Actually saw a UJM in the wild last night! Took the RD out for a quick run to the store that turned into a 45m ride, and when stopped at a red light a CB750 pulled up next to me.

Despite the million ads on CL I see for them this is the first one I've seen on the road in forever.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I think my commute is hard on tuning. My mornings have me going over an 8000' pass when it's ~40F, then down onto the plain at 5200' where it's about 70F. Coming home, it's 90F or above the whole time.

Is this, in fact, bad? Do carbs do OK (or well enough) with 3000' of elevation change along with 50F of temperature change every day?

I've been looking at some EFI stuff, but most DIY controllers only control 2 injectors, and the Bandit is a 4-cyl, 4-carb deal. Is this even something I should attempt to worry about, or should I go look at a 1250's EFI setup to see how suzuki solved this problem?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Z3n posted:

Well it is one of the best stunt bikes ever made.

Word, it stunts even when I don't want it too.

This guy seems ok, but he wants to test ride the bike and will bring cash. What is the realistic (and legal) outcome if I do indeed have "cash in hand" and he wrecks my bike?

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Gnaghi posted:

This guy seems ok, but he wants to test ride the bike and will bring cash. What is the realistic (and legal) outcome if I do indeed have "cash in hand" and he wrecks my bike?

Hand him the title and say good luck? You could draft up a "contract" between you and him that he signs before riding the bike, releasing liability and saying that if he wrecks it he buys it. You don't have to use an fancy language, but just in case he decides to try something stupid and get his money back you'll have something you can bring to court.

I have drafted my own contracts before just to cover my own rear end if something weird happened. (never had to use them, though so who knows if it would have helped).

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

If you are still the legal owner, any liability associated with a crash will fall on you. I would see if you can sign on the title, get the cash, and complete the bill of sale. If he doesn't want it, tear up the bill of sale and give him the cash back. Oh, also get his info for release of liability. He might not like getting shafted if he drops the bike, but you'll need to send that to the dmv.

At that point he just takes the title and signs on the line.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 22, 2012

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Hand him the title and say good luck? You could draft up a "contract" between you and him that he signs before riding the bike, releasing liability and saying that if he wrecks it he buys it.

I think the issue with this is that the buyer will not be the legal owner at the time of the crash. So any damage to another vehicle would be your responsibility.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

MotoMind posted:

I think the issue with this is that the buyer will not be the legal owner at the time of the crash. So any damage to another vehicle would be your responsibility.

I see. Good point here. I know the general rule for craigslist "test rides" is cash in hand before the test ride. Some people even require to see their motorcycle license and require minimum gear before a ride as well, but that won't stop them from being an idiot and ramming it into a tree or something.

You could also offer to do a test ride for him. Ride it around the block, showing that it works, etc. I wouldn't let a stranger ride a bike that I'm about to sell... They could do anything from drop the bike to kill themselves, etc. When I bought my bike from CL, I was so new I didn't even want to test ride it, but I had the owner take it around the block to prove that it at least functioned/had all the gears/etc.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

XYLOPAGUS posted:

You could also offer to do a test ride for him. Ride it around the block, showing that it works, etc. I wouldn't let a stranger ride a bike that I'm about to sell... They could do anything from drop the bike to kill themselves, etc. When I bought my bike from CL, I was so new I didn't even want to test ride it, but I had the owner take it around the block to prove that it at least functioned/had all the gears/etc.

That's what I was thinking too, I ride it to show the clutch/gears and everything is good.

Every time I've bought or sold a bike so far it's been pretty chill, test ride up and down the street, guy tells me I should rip on it more, buys me a pizza, etc. But you can't have good luck all the time.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Didn't see this posted. I hear about spontaneous U-turns pretty regularly it seems, but this is the first time I've ever actually seen it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/s8ptu/i_was_the_guy_driving_in_the_video_of_cagers/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KWSOajQj5g

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Not saying that the driver of the van thing isn't at fault, but the rider is an idiot. Their blinker was clearly on.

edit: That's also a be-ready-to-swerve situation, not brake right in the car's path dealio.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 22, 2012

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Agree. At fault, no. Avoidable, yes. He accelerated right into her blind spot.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
He pretty clearly hosed up there. Granted she hosed up worse but he should feel like a moron for going directly to where she couldn't see him. He also claimed in the comments that he accelerated full throttle to try to get past her but you can clearly see he isn't on the gas that hard. Just fast enough to put him in harm's way.

I'm glad he's ok and it got resolved but if it were me I'd be kicking myself right now for making such a poor choice. I tend not to get mad at other drivers that mess up around me anymore so much as I get mad at myself for not seeing them / reacting sooner to their movements.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

MotoMind posted:

Depends on your part of the wood. Where I live he would be the legal owner and covered by a temporary, 14 days, basis insurance of the insurance provider he choose to sign up with at the bill of sale. It makes no difference that the insurance provider hasn't been contacted yet.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Sir Cornelius posted:

Depends on your part of the wood. Where I live he would be the legal owner and covered by a temporary, 14 days, basis insurance of the insurance provider he choose to sign up with at the bill of sale. It makes no difference that the insurance provider hasn't been contacted yet.

That makes sense, and I think that is what I was suggesting in my separate post. In that reply I was simply pointing out that as XYLO had worded it, the buyer was not the owner until they crashed it or chose to buy it. It's a bit late if they've already crashed.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Gnaghi posted:

That's what I was thinking too, I ride it to show the clutch/gears and everything is good.

Every time I've bought or sold a bike so far it's been pretty chill, test ride up and down the street, guy tells me I should rip on it more, buys me a pizza, etc. But you can't have good luck all the time.

The last few bikes i've test ridden, i've always arrived at the place on a bike with gear on, that seems to make people realize that I can actually ride and not just some idiot.

Riding a 650lb BMW I think reassures people I can handle heavy bikes, or coming on a clean sportbike has people not worry much about a tipover or crashing into a tree with too much throttle.

I usually don't push bikes hard during a test ride, it's more for just getting a feel for the ergos, gear change, and overall feel of the bike, might do a run to 75% of redline to feel how the engine responds.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Walked out to my bike today and noticed that the cover wasn't on it. The elastic straps I use to hold it down were still attached to the bike, but there was no cover in sight anywhere.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't blown away by the wind, it stayed on during the winds and floods last fall and the straps weren't damaged or broken in any way, just undone.

Perhaps someone thought the cover was nice and wanted it, but it was really cheap plus it was dirty and had a tear in it. Or perhaps someone wanted to check out my bike for some reason, possibly theft, and thought "meh, what a crappy old bike" or something and left it alone.

Open Layer
Apr 16, 2008

So, I have my full bike licence now :dance: this shall be a great year!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Fangs404 posted:

Didn't see this posted. I hear about spontaneous U-turns pretty regularly it seems, but this is the first time I've ever actually seen it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/s8ptu/i_was_the_guy_driving_in_the_video_of_cagers/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KWSOajQj5g

He handled it poorly, but I seem to either have someone make a turn from the wrong lane or just switch lanes with no signal in front of me pretty much every time I go on the road (bike or car.) I took the car today and had people do that poo poo three times - one guy just gleefully merging on through even with me laying on the horn. I swear it's like playing some bad Paperboy videogame or something out there.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Open Layer posted:

So, I have my full bike licence now :dance: this shall be a great year!

:highfive: Me too! Just got back from the final MSF class, my Yamaha TW 200 ran out of gas on the final turn of the last part of the exam causing a bit of embarrasment as I stuttered around it flailing for my reserve switch.

Edit: Also, if I happen upon a bike only taking up half a spot in a parking lot, is it alright to park next to them or keep going?

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 22, 2012

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Tenchrono posted:

:highfive: Me too! Just got back from the final MSF class, my Yamaha TW 200 ran out of gas on the final turn of the last part of the exam causing a bit of embarrasment as I stuttered around it flailing for my reserve switch.

Edit: Also, if I happen upon a bike only taking up half a spot in a parking lot, is it alright to park next to them or keep going?

If they're parked off to the side, parking next to them is acceptable so long as they have plenty of room to walk around their bike and stand it fully upright without getting close to yours. Otherwise, bikes love company. :3:

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I came home today to find my bike on it's side. I, of course, freak out and go check out what happened. While I'm looking at my bike, one of my neighbors in the complex told me about how he saw the wind knock it over, it almost knocked him over and he was going to pick it up, but didn't want to touch someone else's ride. I'm just half listening, since I'm checking out the damage.
Another neighbor also told me about how the wind knocked it over, and he was going to come get me, but wasn't sure if I was home. I straighten out the dented fender and wheel it up to my apartment's patio.
After taking a minute to start thinking, I realized that there's no way that the wind would be strong enough to push a bike on the side it's resting on its kickstand and push it over. Not only that, but with the wheel locked, the dent in the fender literally couldn't hit the ground (bike rests on the kickstand on the left, with the wheel locked facing 45 degrees left).
So now I have a big dent in my fender, a headlamp that broke off, and a distrust of my neighbors.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
An apocalyptic windstorm and it being covered were enough to push mine over once.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
We have anyone in here with a Suzuki B-King? I've had my eye on one of those for a few years now, but haven't even seen one in person.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I don't think anyone here has one, but I think they're amazingly sexy, and what the Hayabusa should have been.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Hughmoris posted:

We have anyone in here with a Suzuki B-King? I've had my eye on one of those for a few years now, but haven't even seen one in person.

They are wide as gently caress and I've only seen fat people ride on it. Does that answer your question?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Not related to the actual machinery, but what the hell happened to Suzuki's product names? Katana, Intruder, Marauder, Tempter, Savage...now it's Gladius, V-Strom, B-King, and a bunch of alphabet soup. Meh.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hughmoris posted:

I don't but I know a few people who have, and they all loving love them. What do you wanna know?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

KARMA! posted:

They are wide as gently caress and I've only seen fat people ride on it. Does that answer your question?

I'm a tall, fat guy so I might be onto something.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I don't but I know a few people who have, and they all loving love them. What do you wanna know?

I was just curious about comfort, reliability, accessories and just general impressions on them.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Apr 23, 2012

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Comfort you'll have to find out for yourself, apart from that, it's a 4cyl Japanese bike. It's reliable as can be and you can get pretty much any bits you want for it. The 'Busa base means there's a pretty big community out there and plenty of knowledge on it. A bloke I used to ride with has/had one kitted out with ~1500cc big-bore kit, cams, pipes, Ohlins front and rear etc etc.

If you like them, your best bet will be to get on one for a test ride.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

KARMA! posted:

As a result, it makes them more likely to wheelie. They're already wheelie monsters, add a fat person that can't hug the tank to keep the front down, and it's a non-stop hoon machine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hughmoris posted:

I'm a tall, fat guy so I might be onto something.

I was just curious about comfort, reliability, accessories and just general impressions on them.

As was mentioned, it is at its core a Hayabusa, which means it will be spectacularly reliable, and there will be parts, upgrades, accessories, everything all over for the motor and driveline.

The body and other B-king specific stuff might be tougher to find, as it was only offered in the US for one year I believe. Suzuki is usually good about keeping parts in stock for a long time though

Theres a decent review here, which I think pretty much sums up the B-King, a bike the US at least didnt take seriously

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/suzuki/2008-suzuki-bking-review-86869.html

quote:

We actually did go to Burger King, and got one of those stupid cardboard crowns they give out with the kid’s menu, and we taped it to my helmet and took some pictures of me riding that way. We laughed some more, imagining the “I’m so hurt you’d mock our bike” calls we’d be getting from Suzuki’s press relations department.

There’s just one catch. The bike’s not a laughing stock. Far from it. Oh, it’s got lots of power, which we all expected. But it’s also got great brakes and frankly amazing handling. It’s comfortable, with the best wind protection I’ve ever experienced without a windscreen, and great ergonomics. I rode 150 miles before the fuel warning flashed on the dash, which is as far as I ever want to ride before stopping to drain my own tank and recaffienate, anyway. No kidding, I could throw soft luggage and a tank bag on this thing and take it sport touring. Or take the mirrors off it, tape over the lights, and take it to a track day.

How the heck did that happen?

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 23, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
crashes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf23tMnTk08

what the gently caress is going on at 1:40? are they on ice or something?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Looks like a drag strip so it's probably been polished smooth as hell by cars.

Comedy Option - His tire left the groove and careened him into the wall :haw:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Looked like he actually gained speed while on the floor, but that could just be camera/distance fuckery.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

JP Money posted:

Looks like a drag strip so it's probably been polished smooth as hell by cars.

Comedy Option - His tire left the groove and careened him into the wall :haw:

This, and it looks wet. I still wouldn't expect it to be *that* slippery though.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Just pulled (and plugged) a 1.5" nail out of my week old bought-at-the-dealer-for-a-stupid-price Michelin Annakee :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

That's a great way to piss you off for a while..

On that note, can you do "enthusiastic" riding with a patched tyre or should you stick to passive stuff until you've replaced the tyre?