Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

chunkles posted:

Woah there's an actual good show in Houston, holy poo poo

:shrug:

Saw Windhand a few weeks ago. All Them Witches is next week (more bluesy psych rock than doom but still really loving great), and then King Buffalo is playing the week after that in a great small intimate room. Sleep playing here in December. High on Fire appears to be skipping us for Dallas and Austin this time around, which is fine because they would probably play the House of Blues Rules again anyway.

I'm definitely not sleeping on that Graveyard/Uncle Acid show. I saw Uncle Acid a few years back at Day for Night and even with the early afternoon set time they killed it. Let me know if any of you road tripping goons want to meet up for drinks and/or food before the show that's still months away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Coven is fun live.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Darthemed posted:

When I interviewed them, the main guy said that they considered themselves more psychedelic than doom, if that might help sway you.

e: "Execution" is a pretty good intro track for seeing how you might like them.
Execution doesn't really do it, but the sax on their newest album sure does!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Clearance sale on Death Metal Pope's remaining T-shirt stock.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Saw on the social medias this morning that High on Fire are having to back out of the tour with Municipal Waste.

https://www.revolvermag.com/music/high-fire-cancel-tour-due-matt-pikes-emergency-toe-amputation-surgery

Here's hoping we get a proper tour in 2019 and they do a Houston date.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

did matt pull a dixie dave and shoot off his toe

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

What seems to be another Melvins / Al track came up on my Youtube recommendations. Couldn't find anything else on it tho, but the guy whose channel it is has a ton of other obscure, legit Melvins tracks so :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXDYTiANADg

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Maryland Doom Fest 2019 looks pretty cool, I just don't know how cool Frederick, MD is.. the venues seem to be tiny little places with not much around

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"Weed Is Weed" hahahahahahahaha

loving great band name there

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

haha yeah I'd like to hear the story behind that one... if there is one other than "hey guys heheh what about this.." I'm also fond of the names Clouds Taste Satanic and Seasick Gladiator

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

butros posted:

What seems to be another Melvins / Al track came up on my Youtube recommendations. Couldn't find anything else on it tho, but the guy whose channel it is has a ton of other obscure, legit Melvins tracks so :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXDYTiANADg

I wasn't entirely feeling this until about 6:30, but the payoff is worth it :hmbol:

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

"Weed Is Weed" hahahahahahahaha

loving great band name there

Varg posted:

haha yeah I'd like to hear the story behind that one... if there is one other than "hey guys heheh what about this.." I'm also fond of the names Clouds Taste Satanic and Seasick Gladiator

The Weed is Weed guy is also in Earthride and he kissed my Matt Pike for President koozie at Days of Darkness this is not a euphemism. They have a record called The Bong Remains the Same

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
And Clouds Taste Satanic's first album was called To Sleep Beyond the Earth. It doesn't nearly deliver on what that title implies, though.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
There appears to be a new Belzebong album.

pocket pool fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 1, 2018

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

these guys fuzz https://domkraft.bandcamp.com/album/flood

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
some Indian sludge for you

https://dirgeindia.bandcamp.com/album/ah-puch

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
New Hesperian Death Horse album is out, and is quite good.

Hesperian Death Horse - Živ

Atmospheric blackened doom.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

This is loving good.

EDIT: Like, one of the bet sludge releases I've heard this year.

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 5, 2018

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Matt Pike's Toe Chat

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

There’s a photo of it...

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Kilometers Davis posted:

There’s a photo of it...

:justpost:

butros
Aug 2, 2007

:nws: https://www.instagram.com/p/BpzWWKQl3NP :nws:

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
looks like tostino pizza roll

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Sell me that toe

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

He should mummify it and mount it to a pedal so that his foot is whole when steps on a fuzzbox or whatever

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ingmar terdman posted:

He should mummify it and mount it to a pedal so that his foot is whole when steps on a fuzzbox or whatever

A reliquary pedal!!!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Corrosion of Conformity and Crowbar are going on tour. Weedeater is on one leg and the Obsessed on the other.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

Corrosion of Conformity and Crowbar are going on tour. Weedeater is on one leg and the Obsessed on the other.

So who's drumming for Weedeater now? Is Travis taking back over or are they getting someone new since Carlos died?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Shakenbaker posted:

So who's drumming for Weedeater now? Is Travis taking back over or are they getting someone new since Carlos died?

Dunno. Nothing on Metal-Archives or their Facebook but I’m hoping it’s T-Boogie. Dude is amazing on stage.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I thought this album was pretty good.
https://blood-music.bandcamp.com/album/abyss-between-the-stars

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

I love when a band name logo comes together like that

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Anyone else go to Days of Darkness? Anyone else feel like attendance was low? It was a good time though, wish I could see Acid Witch around halloween every year. Still bummed that the Suspiria live score fell through.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I skipped DoD this year because it was severely lacking in stoner/doom/sludge... I guess that was the main factor that got people there last year, along with big names like Cirith Ungol and Manilla Road.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Out of curiosity, what are some of the most personally influential S/D/S albums for people in this thread? Not necessarily stuff you still listen to regularly, but albums which had a significant effect on your appreciation or perspective towards the style(s).

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Darthemed posted:

Out of curiosity, what are some of the most personally influential S/D/S albums for people in this thread? Not necessarily stuff you still listen to regularly, but albums which had a significant effect on your appreciation or perspective towards the style(s).

Hearing the first riff off of Return Trip on Come My Fanatics by Electric Wizard changed how I defined "heavy"

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Nativity In Black posted:

Hearing the first riff off of Return Trip on Come My Fanatics by Electric Wizard changed how I defined "heavy"

This but funeralopolis

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Down's NOLA was the big one for me.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I was playing in a band in like 91 or so and we played some shows with Drop Dead. There were some tables for a local punk distro and the dude from Drop Dead pulls out the first Eyehategod lp and is like “loving buy this, don’t ask questions just do it” and gently caress man he was so right those riffs just clicked with me immediately. I mean track one I was fully onboard. I had just gotten into the Melvins too so right around the then tempo shifted so hard for me from hardcore/punk to sludgyness.

I had been seeing the Melvins reviews and ads in MRnR for years but finally they were playing CBGBs and I was nearby at a hippy party and got some green windowpane acid and a friend to go to the show with me. That show was nothing like what I had ever seen or heard. Buzz w his fro in a mesmerizing ball over his head, Dale in his underwear and riding the drums like a maniac. Afterwards I extensively gushed to the bassist about how completely blown away I was and he’s like “thanks but I’m only on this tour I’m not really in the band” or something, it was a little like “Sir this is an Arby’s” but I didn’t care I had just been transformed by the heaviest poo poo I had ever seen.

Snowy fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 9, 2018

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Snowy posted:

I had been seeing the Melvins reviews and ads in MRnR for years but finally they were playing CBGBs and I was nearby at a hippy party and got some green windowpane acid and a friend to go to the show with me. That show was nothing like what I had ever seen or heard. Buzz w his fro in a mesmerizing ball over his head, Dale in his underwear and riding the drums like a maniac. Afterwards I extensively gushed to the bassist about how completely blown away I was and he’s like “thanks but I’m only on this tour I’m not really in the band” or something, it was a little like “Sir this is an Arby’s” but I didn’t care I had just been transformed by the heaviest poo poo I had ever seen.

OP for the new thread located.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Going with shows rather than albums because that's the real truth.

First was Starchild, who were the first Sabbath-worship I ever encountered. I remember watching them with my friends and exchanging lots of confused looks because for all the world the music sounded like Black Sabbath but I couldn't recognize any of the songs.

Railsplitter was the first of that kind of sludge I ever saw and made the rest of it click in my head. They were also the first band to ever make me feel bass with my eyes. The copy of 860 Some Odd Lbs I have was the only piece of vinyl I owned for like 12 years I think?

Cream Abdul Babar was the first noise band I ever saw, and I still rock my 2003 tour shirt with Neil Diamond on it proudly to this day. Took seeing them twice before I really got it but I wasn't quite ready to be yelled while a dude was blasting through a trombone that first time around.