Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Heti posted:

I was just rewatching an old episode (Feudal Lord's Ambition) and Arino walks right by an Incredible Crisis arcade machine. I keep bringing up that game because I want him to play it so bad.

I finally saw a Derby Owners Club machine in one of the recently-subbed eps and of course Arino didn't play it.

I'm dying to know what he'd name his horse.

e: I'm hoping for SEX. SEX the horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Vlaphor posted:

Thanks for all the excellent translation (and localization) work everyone. Also, these episodes made me realize what an utter technical marvel Yoshi's Island was. Pretty much everything that had been developed over the lifespan of the SNES all went into one game. Polygons, sprite-transformation and scaling, 3d rendered graphics, it did it all.
To me, it is still an amazing game from a visual stand-point. Not only was it amazing on a technical aspect (especially the Raphael the Raven fight and the :lsd:-style effect from touching the fuzzies), but the bright colors and crayon drawn look still holds up really well.

It makes me sad that I never really loved the game back when it was new (I think it was how different it was from previous Mario games that didn't sit well with young me), because I can really appreciate it's awesomeness now. :(

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
One of the rumours/myths surrounding the development of Yoshi's Island is that Miyamoto was being pressured by higher-ups within Nintendo to use CGI graphics in order to capitalise off the success of Donkey Kong Country, but he so disliked this idea that he deliberately pushed in the other direction and did the visuals in that distinctive faux-crayon style.

I guess that plays into the wider legend that Miyamoto didn't like DKC and resented its success, which I believe was started by some magazine printing a quote where he allegedly said "people will settle for a mediocre game if the graphics are good" or something similar, in reference to DKC.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah, I've heard that rumour too. "Look at how good Rare can make their games look. Why can't you be more like your big brother Rare?"

Probably not those exact words, but Yamauchi was still in charge (and still batshit insane) so who knows.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Col. Roy Campbell posted:

All I noticed was that the other guy had Kamek say "poo poo" which I only remembered since it was so jarring. I mean, I'm no prude but I've never seen the language get above a "drat."
"Kuso" is a typical mild expletive in Japan used by middle-aged men (including Arino; listen for it). It literally means "poo poo" but is as mild as "dammit", which is how SA-GCCX translates it. Some translators get excited over being able to swear, especially in video games ("I'm not embellishing, I swear--that's what he said!") and translate it too literally.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Barcode Battlers is so awesome I just don't understand---probably my favorite of the recent corners almost up there with Catch a Catch Copy.

Amazing how from season to season they tend to just utterly nail these sideline corners and segments.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, I've heard that rumour too. "Look at how good Rare can make their games look. Why can't you be more like your big brother Rare?"

Probably not those exact words, but Yamauchi was still in charge (and still batshit insane) so who knows.

The story is printed as fact in Jeff Ryan's Super Mario: How Nintendo Conquered America.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Barcode Battlers is so awesome I just don't understand---probably my favorite of the recent corners almost up there with Catch a Catch Copy.

Amazing how from season to season they tend to just utterly nail these sideline corners and segments.

I think National Treasure of the Famicom Age wasn't a very good segment. It's just an excuse for Arino to riff on elderly people and the goofy game titles they come up with but there isn't a lot to it. Similarly I didn't like the Retro-Read-Along. if the show follows recent patterns I probably won't like whatever they come up with for the first half of season 17.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Hirayuki posted:

"Kuso" is a typical mild expletive in Japan used by middle-aged men (including Arino; listen for it). It literally means "poo poo" but is as mild as "dammit", which is how SA-GCCX translates it. Some translators get excited over being able to swear, especially in video games ("I'm not embellishing, I swear--that's what he said!") and translate it too literally.

Translating swears from japanese is haaaaaard. Half the most common insults are just less polite forms of you, and translating something as you you doesn't work very well... of course, you never go full kisama.

<- by Magenta who was working for TV-N, as a joke
<- also a joke
<- actual TV-N subtitles.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I think I laughed way too hard at Arino mocking that poor arcade owner's weird inflection. That guy was like the Japanese Ulillillia.

"These other games have the really good music, if you know what I mean."

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Hirayuki posted:

"Kuso" is a typical mild expletive in Japan used by middle-aged men (including Arino; listen for it). It literally means "poo poo" but is as mild as "dammit", which is how SA-GCCX translates it.

I think a better middle-ground would probably be 'Crap'. Same meaning, same milder TV-friendly usage.

TheWanderingNewbie
Oct 12, 2007

Gotta Get Dem Cheevos

KoldPT posted:

<- actual TV-N subtitles.

Okay I literally JUST watched Zeta and I have no clue what those words would be.

Ninja edit: Okay rereading I THINK 'yatsu' is Mobile Suit but ya this be dumb.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

TheWanderingNewbie posted:

Okay I literally JUST watched Zeta and I have no clue what those words would be.

There was also Ryuki where they said something about a guy being a Kohai and the translator note was "Kohai = Opposite of Sempai". It was laughably bad.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You can't talk about terrible loving subs without posting the all time classic:

But you don't understand the amazing subtext of yatsu which implies he doesn't like that mobile suit very much!! :shepface:

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

jyrque posted:

The game's easy and short though, not sure if it would make a decent full episode. That said, I'd also like to see him play it, especially to see Arino's reaction to the ferris wheel scene.

What kind of monster are you that that game is easy? It'd take him an hour just to beat the first timing minigame.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

All I got to contribute to this discussion is that tons of recent re-releases of classic games have convinced me that literalist translations are always inferior to natural-sounding ones where sentences make sense.

makere
Jan 14, 2012

I think yatsu is something like "that guy" and kisama is close to "you rear end in a top hat/bastard".

And now I'm waiting for someone who has perfect japanese understanding to tell me how far off I was.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Dominic White posted:

I think a better middle-ground would probably be 'Crap'. Same meaning, same milder TV-friendly usage.

Well if we're still talking about what Kamek says in Yoshi's Island, "poop" (like in the SA Team version) would be the most accurate for the game. Because it's being used in reference to, you know, poop. And it'd be weird for people outside of Japan if they thought Yoshi's Island had strong swear words in the Japanese version.

Otherwise yeah, Arino is basically saying "Aww crap" when he says "Kuso".

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

makere posted:

I think yatsu is something like "that guy" and kisama is close to "you rear end in a top hat/bastard".

And now I'm waiting for someone who has perfect japanese understanding to tell me how far off I was.

If only there were a translator's note!?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

jyrque posted:

The game's easy and short though, not sure if it would make a decent full episode. That said, I'd also like to see him play it, especially to see Arino's reaction to the ferris wheel scene.

Easy, my eye. :colbert:

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I seriously remember buying Incredible Crisis on a whim since it was cheap, going home and playing the entire thing in one sitting. Second stage was tricky (i mean seriously who likes mashing buttons) but otherwise it's smooth sailing. Maybe one day I should play it again to make sure my recollection of the past is not just a reimagining written by our robot overlords.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Tewratomeh posted:

Well if we're still talking about what Kamek says in Yoshi's Island, "poop" (like in the SA Team version) would be the most accurate for the game. Because it's being used in reference to, you know, poop. And it'd be weird for people outside of Japan if they thought Yoshi's Island had strong swear words in the Japanese version.

I'm pretty sure if you were to translate it as poop it would be unko instead, which doesn't have the expletive context associated with it at all.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Caitlin posted:

I'm pretty sure if you were to translate it as poop it would be unko instead, which doesn't have the expletive context associated with it at all.

There was a Japanese foreign exchange student at my high school one year, and she freaked out whenever we said unko. Is it not offensive?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Impolite discussion. It would be gross to talk about to your average girl.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

jyrque posted:

I seriously remember buying Incredible Crisis on a whim since it was cheap, going home and playing the entire thing in one sitting. Second stage was tricky (i mean seriously who likes mashing buttons) but otherwise it's smooth sailing. Maybe one day I should play it again to make sure my recollection of the past is not just a reimagining written by our robot overlords.

Seriously screw that "there's a hole in your boat" mini game they make you do like 4 times. I loved the game but that was terrible.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

makere posted:

That's pretty much it, yeah. They're both informal forms of addressing other people.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Calling others bastards or talking about poop to girls might be normal to goons but it's important to note the weight politeness and formality hold in Japanese culture witholds. :spergin:

jyrque fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 4, 2013

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Tewratomeh posted:

The exact word was unchi, which is poop. Kuso can be interpreted as a swear unchi can't. Yoshi's Island is not only a kid's game but a game that emphasizes childlike innocence with its crayon graphics, babies and happy faces everywhere, so I would absolutely keep the text G-rated.

I translate kuso differently depending on context because it can change. When Arino goes kuso I usually use "dammit" because he's saying it out of frustration and I find it fits better than "crap" because "crap" to me sounds more spur-of-the-moment (like "oh no!") and not an exasperated "arrrrgh" sort of way, which is usually how Arino uses it. For kuso gee I translate to "crap game."

Arino once said in an episode that he has to go to the bathroom, specifically referencing #2. I translated that line as "I gotta go take a dump." He used the word unko which is like unchi but more masculine and less juvenile. Hence why I went with "gotta take a dump" over "gotta go poop" -- the former sounds more masculine and less juvenile than the latter, to me anyway. Had he used the word kuso I would've went with "take a crap."

I don't swear, so you won't see much swearing in my work. But if I truly feel it fits the context, I will use them. For example, if the word kuso was used by some gangster in say, something like GTO, I'd likely translate it as "poo poo."

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 4, 2013

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks for that, I just woke up so I kind of forgot about unchi vs. unko. :buddy: Breakfast poop discussions.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I think National Treasure of the Famicom Age wasn't a very good segment. It's just an excuse for Arino to riff on elderly people and the goofy game titles they come up with but there isn't a lot to it.

Really? I didn't see it that way. I mean, it was a great segment, but I don't think he riffed on the elderly.

For those who haven't seen it: the concept behind Living National Treasure Arino is 50 years in the future, they found a chest full of lost Famicom games. Kan presents them one at a time to a 90-year old Arino, who is wise and knows all Famicom games, and asks him what the game is. The catch is these are fake games (usually parodies of real games), and it's Arino's first time seeing them. Based on the title and cover art, he (the real Arino, not Old Man Arino) has to come up with what the game is on the fly. So it's an improv segment, basically. Sometimes he's funny, and sometimes he obviously is at a loss of what to say.

Example: he was once handed "Uradius," which was a tough one because it used the really old Famicom label style with no art. Arino went, "Ah yes, I remember this game... it's a game where you play as a young AD called Urakawa," then he rambled on about what you do as Urakawa. It was sort of funny.

The funniest part is when Arino is rambling and Kan silently takes the cart and leaves the room.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 4, 2013

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Caitlin posted:

This really depends on context, the type of show, or even "if the producers think it's worth censoring". Sometimes "unko" even as "poop" will be censored, sometimes not. I've even seen "mouthwash" be censored one time during a Gaki no Tsukai segment, where Matsumoto was cooking spaghetti with toothpaste and mouthwash. Japanese censorship can be weird like that, because people are very fickle on what they think is appropriate.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Aku posted:

I've even seen "mouthwash" be censored one time during a Gaki no Tsukai segment, where Matsumoto was cooking spaghetti with toothpaste and mouthwash.

Is it because he was saying the specific brand name?

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Gutcruncher posted:

Is it because he was saying the specific brand name?

Maybe. After giving it a second listen, he did say "(censored)-like thing", so who knows?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

The White Dragon posted:

Oh man, thank you guys. I wanted to watch this episode series since it got released like two weeks ago, haha. I'm happy y'all got right to it.

Though now, admittedly, I'm kind of disappointed--not in your work, no, but just how they don't really show many of the stages, just the goals and bosses. I wanted to see Arino's reaction to turning into a submarine and poo poo.
I was disappointed too, I really hoped they showed off more of the Yoshi-transformations because HOLY poo poo YOSHI TURNED INTO A GODDAMN TANK SO AWESOME.

But yeah that's my only gripe of the episode, the rest of it was awesome. The ending was super-tense stuff for me, I haven't been on the edge of my seat for Arino since Lemmings!
(Which I still am very thankful for whoever translated it as being a game from Scotland :3: )

Heti posted:

I was just rewatching an old episode (Feudal Lord's Ambition) and Arino walks right by an Incredible Crisis arcade machine. I keep bringing up that game because I want him to play it so bad.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF :argh: gently caress THAT GAME

...that would be fun for them to do, they don't do very much Playstation games I notice. One game I WOULD love GCCX to play is Spyro the Dragon. I'd love to see them handling western games more.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
I've loved Game Center CX for quite some time, probably always will, but I always get annoyed at the way Arino just can't figure some things out in games.

He plays ridiculous games like Ghouls and Ghosts, and does fairly well with them, and then can't figure out to pull Baby Mario in with Yoshi's tongue.

It's a small thing but every time it's always something like that, and you'd think he'd just try it once. The worst part is even if he did know to do it, but they just never showed it in any of the parts we get to see, he still never uses it whenever he should.

Still, I love this game, and I love the show.

Thanks to the team for this, it's always a joy to see a new episode up, and nobody should ever say anything bad about your work as it's all out of the goodness of your heart, and it is top notch.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm sure it's probably been mentioned a couple of times before in the thread, but the show lies about the time a lot, right? It's a lot more noticeable with the games I've actually played, but you see stuff like "Arino was stuck on this section for three hours" or with boss fights they sometimes show him on his 40th attempt or something crazy like that and it's kinda hard to buy it. Also one phrase that I see popping up in almost every episode is "Arino is stuck for 20 minutes", "Arino gets his chance 20 minutes later" etc, likes it's their go to number when they need to skip over some time.

And I know Arino isn't great at games but spending 24+ hours on Yoshi's Island seems kind of wrong, since he didn't really seem horrendously bad at the game or anything. (And it's a really easy game if you're not going for 100%) It's been a while since I played it though, maybe it's longer than I remember.

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong. It doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the show at all, it's just something I've noticed.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

^^^

Have you ever seen the live challenges? That's all I can say.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Also, for a person getting used to the game and figuring stuff out who hasn't played it before Yoshi's Island IS actually a long game, if not exactly the most difficult...

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

zari-gani posted:

^^^

Have you ever seen the live challenges? That's all I can say.

Yeah, if you think it's unrealistic to spend 20-40 minutes on one segment wait til you watch Arino spend 8+ hours on the same Lemmings level.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I thought the second half of the Yoshi's Island challenge showed that it had some weird, difficult parts. Those were really fun to watch Arino struggle with, and the climactic Bowser fight was of course awesome. I loved the second half!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taopriest
Oct 25, 2011

"Games Are Like Baths, Without Them, We Would Get Sick" Igarashi Koji
That "Final Boss Theme" from Yoshi's Island is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1Ose7A8P94