Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Ema Nymton posted:

Bummer.

There are affordable used Nexus 7s on ebay, but they don't have SD Card slots or dual cameras, which I want.

The Nexus 7 2013 has front and rear cameras, if that's what you mean by dual cameras. Though they don't have an SD Card slot, they do support USB On-the-Go so you can make use of external memory--a thumb drive works, and so should a USB SD Card reader if it uses USB Mass Storage drivers.

I've seen 16GB 2013s sell below $150 from Newegg and other resellers on eBay if you're comfortable buying Manufacturer Refurbished models.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
That's what I meant by "affordable". The Nexus 7 2013 is very nice, but brand new it's $200+. I guess I'll wait a while for some used ones to fall within my grasp.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Ema Nymton posted:

That's what I meant by "affordable". The Nexus 7 2013 is very nice, but brand new it's $200+. I guess I'll wait a while for some used ones to fall within my grasp.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-Google...=item3a91c19f07

$190 for a new 32GB version. Go forth and buy a tablet that is not garbage.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

WTFBEES posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-Google...=item3a91c19f07

$190 for a new 32GB version. Go forth and buy a tablet that is not garbage.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171319028816?redirect=mobile

$170 for an Asus refurbished 32GB. 90 day warranty instead of 1 year for the new one.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Ema Nymton posted:

Bummer.

There are affordable used Nexus 7s on ebay, but they don't have SD Card slots or dual cameras, which I want.

Get the lg g pad 8.3 it has front and back camera and SD card slot. Plus you can get them for about the same price as nexus 7 2013.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

JoeMB posted:

Get the lg g pad 8.3 it has front and back camera and SD card slot. Plus you can get them for about the same price as nexus 7 2013.

They're a bit more expensive, on the order of another $50 (even when cowboom had demo models for $150, they also have Nexus 7 demo models for $109). Plus the software is a bit worse than a Nexus 7, so unless you plan to and feel comfortable putting CM11 on it, the Nexus is still probably better.

revolther
May 27, 2008
I picked up a refurbished 2012 N7 and found out eventually the wifi was poo poo. They use like two tiny brittle gold pin connectors to bridge between the guts and the antennae fixed to the rear of the case, so wifi is great in the same room as the router but useless outside of 20 feet. Just fair warning thoroughly test that poo poo within your time frame of return.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Ema Nymton posted:

Bummer.

I do not understand the desire for SD cards.

SD cards have suffered through *6* years of lovely implementation on Android. They've never worked right.

Internal storage always wins. SD is such a pain in the rear end. I'm glad Google wants to kill it. Hearing people bitch about lack of SD support makes no sense to me. Since DAY 1, SD cards have been one of the ABSOLUTE loving WORST things about Android. It's terrible from every aspect. Bad security, adds more things that can break on a device, is a pain to work with, and in the end it doesn't help the device much.

Having an SD card slot gives manufacturer a lovely excuse to include hardly any storage on their device. Sure, you only have 100MB to 1GB of internal storage, but you can just pop in a 32GB, 64GB, or 128GB SD card! That's a lot of space!

Sure it is, until you actually try to use it.

* You can't download most stuff to SD.
* Most apps won't save to SD.
* You can't move most games/apps to SD.
* You can't secure data on SD when formatted as FAT32.

I've had several devices with SD cards. From an HTC G1, several Galaxy S and Galaxy S II variations, and now a Moto G w/ LTE. The SD card is 99% empty, as everything defaults to using internal storage. Hardly anything can be moved to SD, and every app defaults to saving to the internal storage. loving with App2SD or symbolic links to map /data to SD and all the other stupid work-arounds were never as good as simply having a bunch of internal storage.

Every time I install something I have to see if I can move it to the SD card. Every time I take a screenshot I have to move it to the SD card. Every time I transfer a file with Bluetooth I have to move it to the SD card. Every time I run an app I have to see if I can change its setting to use the SD card.
After using a device with an SD card for a few days, I go to Settings -> Storage -> 'Move media' for it to scan and move data.

Having a 16GB or 32GB Nexus 7 is great. Lots of space for downloads, media, and storage. Going with a shittier device just so you can put an ~SD~ card in it doesn't seem like a good idea.

Sorry about the rant. It's just I've been loving with SD cards in everything from 2008 Android devices up to 2014 Android devices, and it still sucks.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Xenomorph posted:

Having a 16GB or 32GB Nexus 7 is great. Lots of space for downloads, media, and storage. Going with a shittier device just so you can put an ~SD~ card in it doesn't seem like a good idea.
Uh where exactly am I supposed to put my 80GB of totally legal anime?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I concede that in some cases it's easier to transfer files to and from your device with an SD card.

Even though there are apps that can do that over WiFi these days...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

How about it's a way to have lots of storage for things that take up lots of storage, like music collections or video, and to be able to back them up while travelling, without having to rely on the :yayclod:. SD card integration may suck (and it sure ain't going away), that doesn't mean it's not useful to some people

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It is getting better though. For example, Google Music now allows you to choose the SD card for storage of pinned music.

I'm using that feature on my Razr HD MAXX to use it as an offline MP3 player so I can listen to google music in situations where I don't want to risk carrying my primary phone and I don't have wifi access. So, I can have a full 64gb of storage just dedicated to music.

Several other media apps allow you to choose the SD card now to store the cached offline copy. Flixter, for example, allows you to cache your Ultraviolet movie copies to your SD card for offline playback.

I really do wish 64gb options would become standard for storage though.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

is a small town
Buglord
Micro SD cards are dirt cheap for their capacity, I can put whatever I want on them, and read them on my PC. My cell phone has an SD card reader and when I plug it into a PC it become a USB storage device and charges the phone at the same time. It's very convenient.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

bull3964 posted:

I really do wish 64gb options would become standard for storage though.
I'd be okay with no external if 32GB was the standard baseline model, but if manufacturers are still pushing 16GB as their base model, then SD slot should be included.

Also, it's pretty important to some people, like the poor lost souls on Sprint who can't get a stable connection to even load Google homepage or travelers who don't want to pay $15 for lovely airplane Wifi.

Photo backup is pretty nice too. You can talk about Google Plus backing everything up but Google doesn't allow a proper syncing system for photos.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Huh, an SD card discussion.

I'm sure some new interesting insights will come out of this.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

On the general subject of external storage, are those wifi-enabled flash drives worthwhile at all?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Just wanted to say: No one should buy a 2012 N7 at this point, they are not aging well and the slow storage makes things very unpleasant to use compared to my N4, let alone the 2013 N7.

Its like having a slow 5400rpm HDD or something.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Allaniis posted:

Also, it's pretty important to some people, like the poor lost souls on Sprint who can't get a stable connection to even load Google homepage or travelers who don't want to pay $15 for lovely airplane Wifi.

As a temporary Sprint user this is true. SD cards are worth about 3x more on Sprint than any other network as local storage is the only reliable way you are going to view video or listen to music when off Wifi.

Myself any many others would be happy with the SD card slot only being usable for Books, Comics, Music, and Video. Yeah having hot swapable storage is horrid for an OS so don't let anything OS related on the SD card and we can all be friends.

Having an SD card is a really nice way to have a couple movies (Matrix, Raiders of the lost Ark, and Empire Strikes Back) a bit of music and some comic books on hand. If you have an SD card in your phone and all of your tablets you can just load up a constant 20gb of stuff and switch it from device to device if you need to.

I've set up WIDI on some devices but it's such a pain compared to ten seconds of moving a piece of plastic. As cloud/networks get better the use for SD cards gets less and less but I can't imagine ever buying a 10 in tablet without an SD card slot. Obviously I'm in the minority as iPad sales would dictate but to me an iPad with an SD card slot (only for use of media) would have significantly more utility.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Can someone tell me the pros and cons of a user removable battery?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Pro: You can replace it with a 3rd party battery that explodes your phone and gets you on the news.
Con: Battery can fall out when you fastball your phone.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Maker Of Shoes posted:

If you're captured you can McGruber it into a bomb.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Xenomorph posted:

I do not understand the desire for SD cards.

Having something hanging out the side of the device for USB OTG is kinda dumb.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
16GB Nexus 7 for $150

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Nintendo Kid posted:

Having something hanging out the side of the device for USB OTG is kinda dumb.

60 gigs of animes is kinda dumb.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Maker Of Shoes posted:

60 gigs of animes is kinda dumb.

Yeah that's way too few.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I had a couple for my old HTC sensation as I was often away from a handy charge point for a couple of days at a time, and thus never needed to worry much about my phone dying on me. It is a thing I miss very much with my N5. Though granted its not difficult to acces/remove the battery in it, it's just too fiddly to make it something one could do on the move.
As for cons, um... the back would have to come off easir meaning o could fall off if you drop your phone from your butter greased goon hands?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Why not get an external battery pack? Works with any device and far less hassle than having to swap a battery and reboot.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mr. Shoes, I hope you're proud of yourself.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

dissss posted:

Why not get an external battery pack? Works with any device and far less hassle than having to swap a battery and reboot.

If you were in the situation of needing extra battery often, having some random pack dangling would be inconvenient. Also a lot of them are rather overpriced for what you get versus actual internal batteries.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Tunga posted:

Mr. Shoes, I hope you're proud of yourself.

I very much am. :v:

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Shot the Galaxy S tab NYC event so I got to play with the new 10.5 and 8 inch 1600p AMOLED tabs. Holy crap, the screen is glorious. I've already played with 1600p 10 inch panels in LCD form but something about the deep blacks of this thing blew me away. Other then that, standard fare, plenty fast without any lag, pretty light for the size. Android 4.2.2 in the settings for some reason..The on screen emulation of the galaxy s5 is really slick and of course is disabled in the USA (no wifi calling for us).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Nintendo Kid posted:

If you were in the situation of needing extra battery often, having some random pack dangling would be inconvenient. Also a lot of them are rather overpriced for what you get versus actual internal batteries.

You can use it to charge when not actually using the phone. Plus you get a lot more potential capacity than you would off an internal battery.

---

I just bought a very cheap LG GPad 8.3 - will be interesting to see how it compares to my 2013 N7. There is no way I could justify the purchase but it was cheap enough I just couldn't resist.

Probably going to keep one or the other and pass the surplus one on to my parents (gotta be better than the Samsung Tab 8.9 they are currently using) or maybe flatmate.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

revolther posted:

I picked up a refurbished 2012 N7 and found out eventually the wifi was poo poo. They use like two tiny brittle gold pin connectors to bridge between the guts and the antennae fixed to the rear of the case, so wifi is great in the same room as the router but useless outside of 20 feet. Just fair warning thoroughly test that poo poo within your time frame of return.

You must have got a bad unit, have a lovely WiFi router, or are in a crowded 2.4Ghz area.

I could take my 2012 model to the neighbor's house (about 300ft away) and still be able to use my WiFi connection. My 2013 is the same, though it only goes that far on 2.4ghz. 5Ghz drops off almost as soon as I walk outside.

The 2013 model has similar construction inside. All of the radio antennas (2.4ghz, 5Ghz, GPS, Bluetooth) AND the Qi wireless charging coil are laminated to the back casing. Same little gold pins connecting all of them.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

is a small town
Buglord
Thanks for stopping me from buying that $120 Lenovo tablet, guys. :) that would've been a bad choice.

Although you-all will be unimpressed that I instead bought a used Hisense Sero. For around $30, it's OK that it's probably garbage. There are others like it on eBay.

I'm using it to make this post right now, and so far it's a fine tablet. But typing out a post on a touchscreen is still awkward as poo poo. This is taking me forever. My manual dexterity sucks. :negative:

I'm not at all serious about tablet computing. I just want a tablet to dick around until my old netbook dies and it's time to replace it with a new laptop of some sort. That's what I'm really saving up for.

revolther
May 27, 2008

stevewm posted:

You must have got a bad unit, have a lovely WiFi router, or are in a crowded 2.4Ghz area.
Oh yeah, it was a gift and the problem wasn't noticed till outside of the return window. I actually opened it up last night, both gold tabs were completely broken off. Yanked the gold connector pins off an old cell battery, bent them in a similar shape, two quick bits of solder and it's working great.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

revolther posted:

Oh yeah, it was a gift and the problem wasn't noticed till outside of the return window. I actually opened it up last night, both gold tabs were completely broken off. Yanked the gold connector pins off an old cell battery, bent them in a similar shape, two quick bits of solder and it's working great.

Similar thing happened to my 2012, except with the GPS antenna. I had taken it apart to fix the USB charging port, and managed to hit and break one of the gold pins going to the GPS antenna.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

is a small town
Buglord

Ema Nymton posted:

I'm using it to make this post right now, and so far it's a fine tablet. But typing out a post on a touchscreen is still awkward as poo poo. This is taking me forever. My manual dexterity sucks. :negative:

Oh, I just now discovered the microphone for dictation. That makes that makes things a lot easier. Not perfect but easier.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Ema Nymton posted:

That makes that makes things a lot easier. Not perfect but easier.
:what:

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

is a small town
Buglord

I'm not sure which part of that you think is stupid, but the fact that I don't already know is probably stupid enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ema Nymton posted:

I'm not sure which part of that you think is stupid, but the fact that I don't already know is probably stupid enough.
I guess it's that you made a typo (speako?) when talking about making input easier? Otherwise no idea.

I hate typing on my Nexus 7 because it lacks haptic feedback. Nexus 5 and 10 are great but there's something weird about feedback-less typing. I actually type better if I turn the keyboard noises on but then they drive me (and everybody else nearby) insane after thirty seconds.