Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Policenaut posted:

The best Empires game is Samurai Warriors 3's.

I feel like the Empires games are much more fun in general.
Because who gives a poo poo about story in Warriors and unlike the totally linear campaign of the normal game, Empires give s you a big sandbox of sorts to mess around in. Which is fun.

EDIT: Come on! SW4:E on PC. Geez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
PW3 was good, until it started to regularly crash to desktop in the middle of missions.

Doesn't seem like they have bothered to patch the game since steam release either.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Jibo posted:

As far as I know it's only there for achievements. I've got like 300 hours in PW3 and I've done maybe 3 Nightmare Mode missions.

Welp, I've got some history missions left to do 100% and have like one quarter of nightmare mode done, so not much else to do.

DaveCG
Nov 5, 2009

Policenaut posted:

How was the language barrier for you? I was looking at importing 3Z and empires, wasn't sure how impenetrable they'd be.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Policenaut posted:

Dynasty Warriors 5 Empires was good. I remember someone sent me a letter suggesting I defect, and I threw it away, then Zhuge Liang found it and we sprung a false defection trap for the enemy

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

Anyone got a fix for the Xbox One controller with Samurai Warriors 4-II on PC? Triggers aren't working except to control the camera, and the game decided they're always being pressed so the camera is just going in a circle permanently. If I try to remap stuff in the options, I get a message saying I can't and I need to close the game to make the message disappear because pressing anything else just makes it pop-up constantly.

Edit : This is the dumbest loving thing. I've just spent hours trying to fix this and even using xpadder I can't stop the game from thinking the camera buttons are constantly being pressed. I can play without the triggers, but not if the camera is always rotating. Guess it's time for a refund.

SpacePope fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 25, 2016

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone know what's the best way to grind skill books in SW4-2?

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Anyone want to sell or unsell me on SW4-2? Looking at it real hard on the Steam sale...

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It's Samurai Warriors 4 with a more traditional plot focusing on individual officers, a better difficulty curve, a simpler endless mode, and terrible controller support.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

SpacePope posted:

Anyone got a fix for the Xbox One controller with Samurai Warriors 4-II on PC? Triggers aren't working except to control the camera, and the game decided they're always being pressed so the camera is just going in a circle permanently. If I try to remap stuff in the options, I get a message saying I can't and I need to close the game to make the message disappear because pressing anything else just makes it pop-up constantly.

Edit : This is the dumbest loving thing. I've just spent hours trying to fix this and even using xpadder I can't stop the game from thinking the camera buttons are constantly being pressed. I can play without the triggers, but not if the camera is always rotating. Guess it's time for a refund.

This started happening to Pirate Warriors 3 within the past few months as well and that hasn't gotten a single update. I'm guessing it's the same Xbox One controller driver update that also broke things for a poo poo ton of Unity games. 360 controllers still work but that's a lovely solution obviously.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The issue with the Xbox One controller in games is because Microsoft made LT/RT two seperate axes instead of a single shared axis where 50% is neutral (and is a god awful design for directinput games.)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CubeTheory posted:

Anyone want to sell or unsell me on SW4-2? Looking at it real hard on the Steam sale...

Samurai Warriors have the best combat system of all Warriors games that I've played.
You get a whole bunch of extra offensive and defensive mechanics to play with compared to Dynasty games and Hyper Attacks are like the best thing.

It's a very good and complicated enough brawler.
Playing through the game, I'm also quite amazed at how varied all the characters are. So that's pretty great too.

There's also some story and cutscenes there or sumshit but who cares about that.

Also regarding the controls.
Having a controller is a must for this one and it seems like XBone controllers are borked. I'm using a 360 controller and that one causes no problems though.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 26, 2016

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

CubeTheory posted:

If what you are looking for is more SW4 then you might be disappointed. SW4-2 remixes the SW-4 stages and the story modes have you playing a few stages as a few different officers but they don't really feel very different or improved from their SW4 counterparts. I also feel like you mostly play the same 5 or 6 stages over and over when you play through it, as in get ready to play Sekigahara like 20 loving times and get frustrated as you blow right through it only to be gated by story events and poo poo.

The tower they have you climb is really more of a slog than anything else, but they do some somewhat interesting things with some of the fights there. I feel like there were more tedious "beat up mook" floors than there were "fight this cracked out undead version of an enemy" floors.

The game isn't terrible or anything but it really feels like it's lacking in content and cohesion compared to other Warriors titles. I enjoyed it enough to beat the story modes and tower but if I ever feel like going to back to Samurai Warriors then I'm just going to play more SW4.

Mechanically speaking it's among the best Warriors titles, however and if the price is cheap enough I can't imagine you won't find some enjoyment in the title.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The only musous i've put real time into are Dragon Quest Heroes and Hyrule Warriors. I love Dragon Quest but the musou version is such a grind, big mobs take way too long to kill and it slows down everything when there's a group of big mech things. The tower defense stuff is alright. Some of the characters are no fun to play as, and Aurora, Lucien, and Terry are pretty much the same character. It's also more of a Dragon Quest game than Hyrule Warriors is a Zelda game.

I think Hyrule Warriors is the better of the two, though.

Overbite fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 26, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's something about Samurai Warriors 4 that I don't like compared to other Musou. I don't like how the triangle button is useless against officers and basically anytime there's a red-buffed mob. The character switching thing should be in every game, but otherwise the actual combat mechanics I like way less than say Pirate Warriors where you can literally cancel any move and carry it over.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

DaveCG posted:

How was the language barrier for you? I was looking at importing 3Z and empires, wasn't sure how impenetrable they'd be.

There's no real problem IMO. There's a translation guide out there for Empires related content and the one on GameFAQs for 3Z covers all the basic SW3 content that carries into it (i.e. weapons, characters, etc) so you just play and refer to them every so often once you have them down pat. I had to visit a Japanese @wiki to figure out a couple trophies but beyond that it was pretty simple.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I thought Dragon Quest Heroes was awful. Everything just devolved into spamming your magic skills until you ran out of MP, rotating to the next character, and repeating. It was like if a DW game was nothing but musou attacks.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

In DW8:XL's Ambition Mode, does picking higher difficulty on a mission raise the rewards you get from them?
I assume it does but I just wanted to be sure.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Somewhat, but it also increases the start point of the enemies and their ramp up in stats as you increase your win streak, at least as I recall.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bloodly posted:

Somewhat, but it also increases the start point of the enemies and their ramp up in stats as you increase your win streak, at least as I recall.

Is there any real point in playing on anything other than Beginner in Ambition Mode then? Other than boredom I mean.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I forget. I remember there was a good reason, but I don't remember what. Certainly if you're going for a streak, it's best to go for Beginner.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Elliotw2 posted:

The issue with the Xbox One controller in games is because Microsoft made LT/RT two seperate axes instead of a single shared axis where 50% is neutral (and is a god awful design for directinput games.)

That's actually the better way to go, having it as a single axis means you can't have both buttons pressed at the same time, making certain button combinations impossible and limiting you.

The problem is they should have done it that way with directinput from the start, so making the change now breaks a lot of games that expect the old way.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Bloodly posted:

This is true. You will want to start at Beginner unless you are only going to do a couple of battles in a row because by the time you hit 30 or so straight wins you are going to see a very significant increase in enemy stats.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

That's actually the better way to go, having it as a single axis means you can't have both buttons pressed at the same time, making certain button combinations impossible and limiting you.

The problem is they should have done it that way with directinput from the start, so making the change now breaks a lot of games that expect the old way.

I phrased that poorly, because I meant that the original Xbox 360 shared axis design was loving stupid.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Sorry if this is a repeat (don't check this thread enough) but One Piece PW3 is on sale on Psn for 15. How is it for someone who has no knowledge or attachment to one piece?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Billy Gnosis posted:

Sorry if this is a repeat (don't check this thread enough) but One Piece PW3 is on sale on Psn for 15. How is it for someone who has no knowledge or attachment to one piece?

I think you'll still enjoy it. My friend knew literally nothing about the series and played it to completion. You definitely lose a bunch of stuff not knowing who the characters are but the story mode is a simplified retelling of the plot anyways.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Jack Trades posted:

Does anyone know what's the best way to grind skill books in SW4-2?

The survival tower mode thing.

I've never played any of the "Empires" versions of the games in all my years of enjoying the franchise.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I think that the biggest glaring flaw with Dynasty Warriors is that Zhang He isn't wearing a mask.

KingShiro posted:

I've never played any of the "Empires" versions of the games in all my years of enjoying the franchise.

If you also happen to like either strategy games or Sims then Empires is the poo poo.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 28, 2016

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Billy Gnosis posted:

Gameplay's incredible, aside from one specific level that everybody hates. Storywise, there are three or so places where the game skips a big chunk of plot, but as long as you're willing to read the gallery you shouldn't feel too lost.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
The story of One Piece isn't even that important in the game.

All you need to know is there are pirates, there are marines, and there are other assorted weirdos and they fight each other for various reasons.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Jibo posted:

The story of One Piece isn't even that important in the game.

All you need to know is there are pirates, there are marines, and there are other assorted weirdos and they fight each other for various reasons.

Pretty much this. All Musou games are thus: there are more of them than you and they're still outnumbered :black101:

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME

Billy Gnosis posted:

I don't care about One Piece in the least outside of this game and

EGSunBro posted:

The best warriors is Pirate Warriors 3.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
What's the next big warriors game?
I'm now playing Dragon Quest Heroes. It's fun but it doesn't feel like a warriors game.
Last one I played was One Piece PW3. Should I give Samurai warriors 4 or 4-2 a shot?

Are the empire games fun for someone who likes to play games such as xcom and disgaea?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Come to think of it, Tecmo Koei hasn't said a whole lot about the next iteration of a real Warriors game in awhile. All I remember is they said Warriors Orochi 4 isn't happening anytime soon and they don't want to show Dynasty Warriors 9 until they're ready because they want it to be a big update like the jump from 6 to 7.

Speaking of, DW8XL is on sale right now for PS4 on the North American PSN. It's like $24 here in Canada but I assume it's like $20 or something in the States.

Berserk Warriors is the next big Musou game, it comes out in September in Japan and ???? confirmed but undated for the West.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Policenaut posted:

Come to think of it, Tecmo Koei hasn't said a whole lot about the next iteration of a real Warriors game in awhile. All I remember is they said Warriors Orochi 4 isn't happening anytime soon and they don't want to show Dynasty Warriors 9 until they're ready because they want it to be a big update like the jump from 6 to 7.

Speaking of, DW8XL is on sale right now for PS4 on the North American PSN. It's like $24 here in Canada but I assume it's like $20 or something in the States.

Berserk Warriors is the next big Musou game, it comes out in September in Japan and ???? confirmed but undated for the West.

I think I already have DW8XL it's the DW8XLCE right? Had alot of fun with it.

I'm waiting for berserk. I hope the western release is soon. I heard good thing about Hyrule Warriors. Should i give that one a shot?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DQH2 and Berserk Musou are the only confirmed in development games at the moment I think, and the former might be out already in Japan. Seems weird not having like four or five announced games to look forwards to.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

there's also that western IP they talked about getting a while ago we haven't heard anything about yet

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Tecmo is also working on a lot of big projects like ni-oh and tokiden 2, two huge open world-esque games.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there any real reason to use non-Favorite weapons in DW8?
It seems weird that they even give you an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Jack Trades posted:

Is there any real reason to use non-Favorite weapons in DW8?
It seems weird that they even give you an option.

Fun.