Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

A player should be able to reuse ordnance they didn’t drop on the next mission, assuming it works on the available aircraft. A few more scenarios / mission cards wouldn’t hurt. I think you get additional SO points for a randomized crew selection but that might be a house rule I read on BGG.

Are any of the more recent DVG games worth playing ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Sleekly posted:

SAMs are nasty. And the infantry that can popup must all have stingers on them or something. As I understand it you can make one attack, but in that attack you can eclare all targets and must commit all ordnance up front.

The idea being you can buzz into a hex and shoot off a couple of sidewinders at a target/s then followup with one of those nice MK20s and move out en route to the next target, hopefully leaving a lot of burning wreckage behind you. Catch is that the ordnance you declared is considered spent even if you get lucky and make a kill before everything has been fired off (you still roll to keep the bomb if its one of those).

Also warthog lyfe :D

OK, I was definitely doing it wrong then -- only made one attack per turn with each aircraft, and I noticed the enemy was doing a lot more damage to me than I could reasonably do. I actually feel pretty good about that first battalion destroyed -- it was a 4 VP assault group and I managed to take them out with just an A-10 and 1 Cobra helicopter, killing every last unit. It seems difficult to win if you don't scout first.

I do appreciate that it's a well-designed game where you trade off short term and long term benefits, and there's a brain-burning XCOM-ish puzzle feel to the missions. And it does make sense that even a light hit has a chance of killing the pilot, it just makes the game kind of vicious in the wrong circumstances.

Ropes4u posted:

A player should be able to reuse ordnance they didn’t drop on the next mission, assuming it works on the available aircraft. A few more scenarios / mission cards wouldn’t hurt. I think you get additional SO points for a randomized crew selection but that might be a house rule I read on BGG.

I think the most annoying part of the game is that they're called "Special Operation" points when they could just be Ops.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Panzeh posted:

Larry Harris is making a new game with pre-plotted moves, same general theme.
Yep. The War Room kickstarter launches on Oct. 30.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

dishwasherlove posted:

If you had to pick a heavy 3 player game would you choose Triumph and Tragedy or Churchill or something else? I think Tek has acknowledged both those games have flaws.

What do you want as a player? T&T is a strategic game condensed down to a few hours.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I missed out on Holdfast Eastfront :mad:

This thing looks amazing. Hopefully CSI gets it in.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Ropes4u posted:

I backed Pavlovs House. A lot of DVG stuff looks like a TAL variant. But Pavlovs House looks different and it was pretty cheap to boot.

No idea of it is any good but it looks interesting enough.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11606594/pavlovs-house-the-battle-for-stalingrad

Edit: Field Commander Napoleon is one of the TAL-like ones. Its beautifully produced but seriously overpriced and kind of simple. Its more of a puzzle than it is a wargame. It looks seriously pretty but theres just not enough game to recommend it. Its one of my "do more research before buying next time you idiot" games.

Sleekly fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 23, 2017

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

dishwasherlove posted:

If you had to pick a heavy 3 player game would you choose Triumph and Tragedy or Churchill or something else? I think Tek has acknowledged both those games have flaws.

I enjoy Churchill but would not call it a "heavy" game, at least mechanically. The war half is highly procedural with few decisions to be made. The debate half should be simple and straightforward to anyone who has played hand management games. What makes the whole thing interesting is figuring out which issues you want to bring to the table (and when), which are worth fighting for and which you can let slide to someone else, and mentally weighing how you can keep ahead of the other players without getting too far ahead and without allowing the Axis powers to survive.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

CaptainRightful posted:

I enjoy Churchill but would not call it a "heavy" game, at least mechanically. The war half is highly procedural with few decisions to be made. The debate half should be simple and straightforward to anyone who has played hand management games. What makes the whole thing interesting is figuring out which issues you want to bring to the table (and when), which are worth fighting for and which you can let slide to someone else, and mentally weighing how you can keep ahead of the other players without getting too far ahead and without allowing the Axis powers to survive.

I forget; does Churchill have bots and if so, is the game any good as a solo offering?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Every time I see you guys talk about playing wargames solo I cry a little

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

*looks up page at several posts about solo games*
Uh well...maybe I should invent a wife?

I don't have a lot of choice right now and noodling around soloing games is fun for me. I like learning them this way and being able to go at my own speed. I'd love more regular face to face games but it is what it is. It not as sad as it sounds...sometimes I watch other people solo a game while I paint minis!

The worst part is it sucks for actually getting good in a strategy sense at something thats 2 or more player. And for games with wheeling and dealing like Cuba Libre, solo play I think really can't simulate that.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Chill la Chill posted:

Wait you can play wargames with other people?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I forget; does Churchill have bots and if so, is the game any good as a solo offering?

It has much simpler bots than COIN and Mark Herman even says in the rulebook that you should use common sense rather than agonize over interpretation. I enjoy playing it solo and find that it moves pretty quickly because I know generally what to expect from each bot and don't need to pore over flowcharts. But it's certainly best with 3 humans.

Sleekly posted:

Edit: Field Commander Napoleon is one of the TAL-like ones. Its beautifully produced but seriously overpriced and kind of simple. Its more of a puzzle than it is a wargame. It looks seriously pretty but theres just not enough game to recommend it. Its one of my "do more research before buying next time you idiot" games.

Yeah, I regretfully moved this to my "sell or trade" pile. It really is nice to look at, but the huge number of scenarios aren't all that different when you get down to it.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

If I could get irl 4-player COIN games going, life would be magical.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

If I could get irl 4-player COIN games going, life would be magical.

We have knife fights for factions in ADP.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Phi230 posted:

Wait you can play wargames with other people?

lol not really

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

I have a real wife but she laugh at me when i bring up learning a war game. We are going to try to play colonial twilight together but I am not expecting her to become a grognard.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Found out columbia games is having a sale so I can get that julius caesar game I've had on my list for quite some time. :peanut:

Ropes4u posted:

I have a real wife but she laugh at me when i bring up learning a war game. We are going to try to play colonial twilight together but I am not expecting her to become a grognard.

Do you also happen to have a youtube channel where you do board game reviews?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Found out columbia games is having a sale so I can get that julius caesar game I've had on my list for quite some time. :peanut:

Do you also happen to have a youtube channel where you do board game reviews?

Ha I wish, maybe...

Does Columbia have an good games?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Ropes4u posted:

Ha I wish, maybe...

Does Columbia have an good games?

I've yet to play one I liked.

I've played, um, Richard III, Shiloh, Crown of Roses, and hated the wintering mechanic in both non-acw games, and shiloh is horribly balanced.

I also just kinda hate the combat system, roll to hit is bad.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Rommel in the Desert is good but not perfect (although there is a little house rule that makes it almost perfect). Hammer of the Scots I've heard good things about. I should by any right hate all colombia games but at least Rommel in the Desert makes it clear that direct combat is discouraged and not the way to win.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I had Julius Caesar in my list for a while. I think it was hat it was a block game that got some good reviews and researched it a bit. However, that was a while ago so can’t remember details. It was just written on The List. Considering I like T&T and don’t mind to-hit rolls, it’s probably fine.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

I had Julius Caesar in my list for a while. I think it was hat it was a block game that got some good reviews and researched it a bit. However, that was a while ago so can’t remember details. It was just written on The List. Considering I like T&T and don’t mind to-hit rolls, it’s probably fine.
Yeah I mean the mechanism in T&T and Colombia Games is almost exactly the same, so if you like one, you'll like the other.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rommel and Hammer are frequently in lists of beginner block games but with Sekigahara readily available I can't see myself not recommending that.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Tekopo posted:

Rommel in the Desert is good but not perfect (although there is a little house rule that makes it almost perfect). Hammer of the Scots I've heard good things about. I should by any right hate all colombia games but at least Rommel in the Desert makes it clear that direct combat is discouraged and not the way to win.

What is your Rommel house rule??

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Finster Dexter posted:

What is your Rommel house rule??
Instead of having a communal deck of supply cards, each player has its own.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Hammer of the Scots is the same as any other Columbia block game really, if you don't like block games and roll to hit you won't like it, if you like it you will. I think its...ok :effort:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

MikeCrotch posted:

Hammer of the Scots is the same as any other Columbia block game really, if you don't like block games and roll to hit you won't like it, if you like it you will. I think its...ok :effort:

I just love Guns of Gettysburg, Sekigahara, and especially Napoleon's Triumph.

Which really means I don't like block wargames, I like diceless block wargames. Talk about a niche of a niche of a niche.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Both are cool and good to me but I wish the rotating blocks were also diceless. I was really amped for the WW1 block game but then reviews started coming in

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

just got a notice that my pre-order of Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition has shipped!

It arrived and holy lol the box is freaking HUGE.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

lowwayman posted:

So I got Comanchería about two weeks ago and I gotta say I love it. Fortunately my significant other didn't really mind it cluttering up the dinner table for 7 consecutive days (she thinks I'm crazy to be playing board games alone though) as the Comanche culture was destroyed four times within the first 50 years of Spanish colonisation and once about a 100 years in. The mechanics feel like a perfect blend of actual history and enjoyable gameplay, while being respectful to the culture of the people whose story they are attempting to tell. You only have a couple of different Operations to choose from each turn, but all of them tend to affect your later turns in such a way that there's often an argument to be made for picking any one of them at any time. Because of this there is no obvious order of operations you keep repeating before each Passage of Time as could have happened if the game wasn't designed as well as it is. It's quite an elegant system where every choice you make tends to have some small effect on everything consequent. Of course sometimes the actions of the Enemy force you to act in a certain way to stay in the game, but because of how the enemy instruction table works this is usually a situation that you could've seen and prepared for in advance. I missed Navajo Wars when it was released, but if this is any indication of what its like I've got to get it on the next reprint and start keeping an eye on whatever else Joel Toppen is working on.

Have you guys played Comanchería or Navajo Wars and how do you feel about them?

I have Navajo Wars and I like the system and how it plays; however, I didn't realize how much emotionally it affected me. I got kinda down by the end of the first scenario a few times because of all the bad poo poo happening to me and I'm just trying to keep these families alive.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So this isn’t as funny as the last guy who wanted to larp as a commander with a bad map, but http://grogheads.com/featured-posts/16199

It’s supposed to assuage my dislike for the lack of really cool logistics in games and it’s just a cheap cop out. It’s “not fun.” Oh yeah well tell that to my 18xx and Trajan rear end and the rest of the math-heavy euro crowd.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 25, 2017

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

So this isn’t as funny as the last guy who wanted to larp as a commander with a bad map, but http://grogheads.com/featured-posts/16199

It’s supposed to assuage my dislike for the lack of really cool logistics in games and it’s just a cheap cop out. It’s “not fun.” Oh yeah well tell that to my 18xx and Trajan rear end and the rest of the math-heavy euro crowd.

Race to the Rhine is a pretty fun implementation of logistics management with minimal battle content.

Although if this dude prefers “oogah oogah grunt grunt” appeal, I'd recommend a dollar store bag of army men that he can repeatedly smash into each other.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hoo boy, writing the rules for my little mint tin wargame and I'm now sympathetic to people who have to write rules. This is not easy work!

I'm also sympathetic to people who design games because it's so easy to fall into a rut of making trash and knowing it through every process of the design. But if you did this for a living your thought process would be "I have to get this out and accept it."

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

al-azad posted:

Hoo boy, writing the rules for my little mint tin wargame and I'm now sympathetic to people who have to write rules. This is not easy work!

I'm also sympathetic to people who design games because it's so easy to fall into a rut of making trash and knowing it through every process of the design. But if you did this for a living your thought process would be "I have to get this out and accept it."

I imagine one of the harder aspects is coming into the rule-writing process with a full knowledge of them already. It must be tough write them out with the mindset of someone that has never seen the game before.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I imagine one of the harder aspects is coming into the rule-writing process with a full knowledge of them already. It must be tough write them out with the mindset of someone that has never seen the game before.

In my case I have a prototype set up but I'm writing the rules away from home so as notes get set in stone I change huge swaths of information, basically developing the game in my head going off playtests and other issues. Here's a rough draft minus the Combat Results Table which will probably be my most contentious point.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Are you planning to sell copies of your game in the future or is this a personal project?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Are you planning to sell copies of your game in the future or is this a personal project?

It's for BGG's Mint Tin contest. It'll be print and play.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Here I Stand arrived today. Now I just need to talk 5 people into clearing their Tuesday night for a true anniversary experience!

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
21 orders to Smolensk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

CaptainRightful posted:

Here I Stand arrived today. Now I just need to talk 5 people into clearing their Tuesday night for a true anniversary experience!

You can even wear costumes!