Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Mr. Crow posted:

What are people's thoughts on voice attack? Worth the ~25 bucks to talk to Shattner?
Voice attack is $8 with a 3 week trial. So give it a good. Its a lot easier to use then the built in windows stuff. You can also download other peoples profiles to make it that much easier. Its a very nice program.

The voice packs are separate, and are not really needed. Although its cool to have your ship talk back to you. I have been playing ED since PB and using voice attack since about then but the Shattner voice pack is the first pack I have ever used. There is also a nice one that was done by the same women that already does the ships voice in game. There are also a few free voice pack like stuff floating around.

Gonkish posted:

I decided to fire Elite back up and go shoot some stuff today, and lo and behold the x52 pro drivers are hosed up in Win 10 again... meaning I have to install the stick as a generic USB device and thus can't do poo poo like map all the keys, etc.

How the gently caress can this STILL BE HAPPENING, MadCatz? poo poo...

Never had a problem with my x52 pro and windows 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I'm not on Windows 10, but I recently discovered that the X52 drivers hate USB 3.0 with the regular intel controller driver. USB 2.0 on my old mobo was fine, and USB 3.1 on my new mobo is fine, but USB 3.0 makes it absolutely flip its poo poo.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
re: voice attack packs. Is Brian Blessed an option?

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

DreadLlama posted:

re: voice attack packs. Is Brian Blessed an option?

http://hcsvoicepacks.com/products/v...-by-paul-watson

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016
Hi everyone I'm from the Star Citizen thread :gary:

I've played ED since the beta, but have been away from it since before Horizons. Looking forward to getting back into it soon.

Planning on building a PVC HOTAS stand. Anyone have any good plans for such a thing, or experience in actually building one?

beep_boop
Feb 2, 2016

Plural Abysss posted:

I've played ED since the beta, but have been away from it since before Horizons. Looking forward to getting back into it soon.

Planning on building a PVC HOTAS stand. Anyone have any good plans for such a thing, or experience in actually building one?

I'm with this guy, except I don't have any plans.

I have a laptop and a mouse and I'm reinstalling Elite as I post this! Stopped playing just before the Horizons beta.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Plural Abysss posted:

Don't tell people this. :regd16:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Plural Abysss posted:

SimHQ has a flight simpit forum that you might find helpful.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

RearmingStrafbomber posted:

NGC 7822 / Sharpless 171 is an easy destination for a well outfitted Hauler or Cobra and worth wandering through. The black holes and neutron stars are good cash and exploration rank.

Yeah, I'm going to head that way from the Elephant Trunk nebula and then circle back toward the bubble.

I found my first earth-like:

It's a beautiful sight; just orbited the thing for awhile.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I think I might just buy another type-6 to try mining out tonight, after doing some power play poo poo. How often am I going to have to worry about being attacked?

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016

Shine posted:

SimHQ has a flight simpit forum that you might find helpful.

Some pretty intense stuff there. Thanks

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

MoraleHazard posted:

What does picking through manually mean? Just choosing the next system one at a time?
Yep, the onboard computer gives up trying to calculate a way in so I spent most of my time slowly navigating in there star by star. However there seems to be a right and wrong area to enter so you are better off picking a more dense point of entry to give the computer something to latch onto.
The main trick was burning up most of my fuel to get a bigger jump range as they get pretty far apart.
But as noted lots of black holes to scan.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Rectus posted:

The stations don't care if you have illegal goods or have been killing cops all day, they'll happily let you dock unless you shoot people near them.

The cops outside the station may have a different view of you, however.

Won't the station be red (hostile) to you if the controlling faction is hostile after your killing spree? I didn't notice the colour of the station blip when I was suddenly surrounded by 50 angry flashing red cops :D

(I decided to dock elsewhere :)

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is there a way to figure out which stations have black markets before docking with them?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Friendly Humour posted:

Is there a way to figure out which stations have black markets before docking with them?

In the system map there's an info tab that lists available facilities iirc

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thanks!

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

legooolas posted:

The cops outside the station may have a different view of you, however.

Won't the station be red (hostile) to you if the controlling faction is hostile after your killing spree? I didn't notice the colour of the station blip when I was suddenly surrounded by 50 angry flashing red cops :D

(I decided to dock elsewhere :)

The station will be red if you're hostile to the controller, but you can still dock unless you've been committing crimes in the station instance. I don't think the cops will attack you either until they scan you (could be wrong about it though).

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Rectus posted:

The station will be red if you're hostile to the controller, but you can still dock unless you've been committing crimes in the station instance. I don't think the cops will attack you either until they scan you (could be wrong about it though).

Yeah spacecops only attack you if they scan you first. If they scan you and find that you have a local bounty or whatever they'll attack, and consequently the station will be hostile as well.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I think I might just buy another type-6 to try mining out tonight, after doing some power play poo poo. How often am I going to have to worry about being attacked?

While flying through supercruise you'll have the usual chance of NPC interdiction. While mining itself, as long as you avoid the RESes, you'll be fine. Instead of going to a RES, just supercruise straight into a random part of the ring (i.e. faceplant so your ship does an emergency stop). You'll be about a million miles from the nearest ship and can mine to your heart's content.

The Cobra IV is a good mining ship if you want something that can defend itself better than a Type-6.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
So when is 2.1 allegedly coming out? June? The information blackout from Frontier is a little annoying.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

So when is 2.1 allegedly coming out? June? The information blackout from Frontier is a little annoying.

Now you know how I feel about Frontier's information policy on new ships.

There's always been a blackout from my view point, now just other people are feeling it, too.

But don't worry, in the recent newsletter there (or in the accompanying thread on the forum) was something about they really wanting to share info and that they hope they're allowed to put more stuff out soon. So the info is there, we're just not allowed to get it. :v:

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

I'm fine with underpromising and overdelivering. Much better than how CIG rolls.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The information blackout from Frontier is a little annoying.
They probably got sick of genius and saviour of PC gaming Chris Roberts stealing all their ideas.

It's quite amusing that the news in this week's newsletter is that there'll be news next week.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

whoknew posted:

I'm fine with underpromising and overdelivering. Much better than how CIG rolls.

Except CIG doesn't roll.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

froody guy posted:

Except CIG doesn't roll.

If video game companies were like tires, CIG would be a tire made from cement. And shaped like a block. :haw:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

whoknew posted:

I do hope they can overdeliver. Adding another layer of crafting to grind for doesn't really excite me, and they've been very cagey about anything else they might be adding soon (except a special badge for Distant Horizons participants).

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Pvp is really cool on planet side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46lfWWAna9s
shame it doesn't happen more often.

I feel like elite is suffering from trying to implement too many features too fast.
Like they could easily improve the game by making it more deeper.
For example they could improve it by adding more weapons, trading needs to be more interesting as well.

and 2.1 should bring more weapons in the game in form of large and huge multi cannons which is the direction the game should be going. Adding more depth to existing contend

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Apr 10, 2016

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Dark Off posted:

Pvp is really cool on planet side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46lfWWAna9s
shame it doesn't happen more often

you got content banned

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Libluini posted:

If video game companies were like tires, CIG would be a tire made from cement. And shaped like a block. :haw:

Especially if you consider how much money this moron has spent to destroy an otherwise valuable pickup

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

froody guy posted:

Especially if you consider how much money this moron has spent to destroy an otherwise valuable pickup

Are you dissing the Mythbusters?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Plural Abysss posted:

I have. It's OK but in retrospect I should have put the stick in the middle instead of the right, and I think I'll probably just adapt my desk to have to pull/fold out panels to put the HOTAS on.

Any questions though ask away.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016

slidebite posted:

I have. It's OK but in retrospect I should have put the stick in the middle instead of the right, and I think I'll probably just adapt my desk to have to pull/fold out panels to put the HOTAS on.

Any questions though ask away.

Yea that's pretty mush what I had in mind. I've got a twisty yaw stick, so no pedals required however.

What size pipe did you use? And do you find that it wobbles at all? If so, would you have gone with a larger diameter?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Libluini posted:

But have you seen CIG's Time Warner Business Class commercial.

It's clearly a small business that is going places! :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Plural Abysss posted:

Yea that's pretty mush what I had in mind. I've got a twisty yaw stick, so no pedals required however.

What size pipe did you use? And do you find that it wobbles at all? If so, would you have gone with a larger diameter?
I used 1". It's decently resilient to bending, any wobbles or anything are more of a result from the pipe moving in the joints more than anything. That's rectified by using a small self tapping bolt at the joint to keep them from twisting, or, if you wanted, you could use plumbing cement on the joints which would certainly keep them rock solid. I tried to use the minimum of fasteners that I could as I wanted to be able to tear it down without a ton of fuss.

That said, I almost need to reconfigure it because my new chair (Herman Miller Embody) is just a smidgen too wide to fit between them, so I'm thinking more of adapting my desk with a couple platforms and doing away with it completely.

I would be a little leery of getting rid of the rudder pedal stand completely, even if you don't need it. It adds weight and rigidity between the two halves.

I would PM you but you don't have plat - what's your email address? I would also consider selling it to you for cheap +shipping if it interests you since I might make a new setup.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

I see a lot of mentions about building hide-away desk platforms for the HOTAS halves, instead of a sim chair or pvc enclosure. That's always been my plan (small home, basic desk) but it's a little out of my handyman league. If anyone actually does it I'd be hugely interested to hear how

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

:allears:
(...June, with beta in May.)

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I do hope they can overdeliver. Adding another layer of crafting to grind for doesn't really excite me, and they've been very cagey about anything else they might be adding soon (except a special badge for Distant Horizons participants).

Dark Off posted:

I feel like elite is suffering from trying to implement too many features too fast.
Like they could easily improve the game by making it more deeper.
For example they could improve it by adding more weapons, trading needs to be more interesting as well.

and 2.1 should bring more weapons in the game in form of large and huge multi cannons which is the direction the game should be going. Adding more depth to existing contend
I think they are adding more large and huge guns (multicannons)? Can anyone confirm whether I'm making that up or not.
What they've said about their missions revamp does sound like they were along the right lines. I'm still not confident in their ability to introduce depth but at least it doesn't look like another Powerplay at the moment. There's been stuff in the previous newsletters and I think one of the video Q&A types things with Brooks maybe? I don't check up on this stuff regularly at the moment.

Goddamn is the newsletter thread on the brown sea super-salty though. Almost feel sorry for :frontear:

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 367 days!

El Grillo posted:

:allears:
(...June, with beta in May.)

I think they are adding more large and huge guns (multicannons)? Can anyone confirm whether I'm making that up or not.
What they've said about their missions revamp does sound like they were along the right lines. I'm still not confident in their ability to introduce depth but at least it doesn't look like another Powerplay at the moment. There's been stuff in the previous newsletters and I think one of the video Q&A types things with Brooks maybe? I don't check up on this stuff regularly at the moment.

Goddamn is the newsletter thread on the brown sea super-salty though. Almost feel sorry for :frontear:

C3/C4 multicannons, C4 pulse/beam/burst lasers are coming in 2.1

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I can't wait to see what kind of hurt a multicannon vulture puts out.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Can't wait for C4 multicannons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timn
Mar 16, 2010
The new multicannons are going to own so much, especially if they include gimbal variants. I'd be surprised if the C3 doesn't, C4 less so but still disappointed.

• Locked thread