Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Yeah, on a personal system just crank UAC up so they get all the reminders, and make sure they understand the implications of saying yes to that prompt.

Or give them a linux box and make them deal with that until they surrender and use windows right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Yeah, on a personal system just crank UAC up so they get all the reminders, and make sure they understand the implications of saying yes to that prompt.

Or give them a linux box and make them deal with that until they surrender and use windows right
Windows has had support for limited user access ever since they moved on from the Chicago kernel, and LUA is the generic term for what Unix-likes default to, with root being root and every other not being root (unless they're in wheel on the BSDs and can use su, or sudo+properly configured /etc/sudoers is setup).

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Happy Thread posted:

What are your all's thoughts on how to safely convert new or used USB drives you've purchased into trustworthy boot drives or secure storage drives?

Even brand new drives seem like they could snitch on you to Big Brother. From the Vault 7 leaks, we know of several incidents of brand new products being sold with state-sponsored malware in them (Samsung TVs, various routers). For that reason, I distrust even brand new USB drives to not frequently be sold that way.

Here's a thorough article how any USB device, not just drives, could hack you in unexpected ways if the firmware itself is malicious:

https://www.howtogeek.com/203061/don%E2%80%99t-panic-but-all-usb-devices-have-a-massive-security-problem/
(found for me by someone in the Linux thread).

My point is, if firmware of a thumb drive can be malware, then attempting to securely wipe the drive as soon as you get it is of no use. The firmware could just inject things upon read/write, or worse, do some of the many other things mentioned in that article -- non-storage related hardware spoofing attacks, etc.

In this state of the world, is there ANY way to make a secure OS install thumb drive, or even a bootable OS on a stick, that you can trust not to have backdoor introduced by the firmware? A hazard that seemingly results from just buying the wrong USB drive, even brand new?

Lmao look at this guy trusting trust.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
"it's just like UAC" is kind of where I was landing. It's not the built in Administrator account. It's just a Microsoft account I can assign the user type of "administrator" rather than "regular".

Edit: typos

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I use iCloud Keychain syncing on all my fruit devices and I've yet to think of a single reason to switch to something else.

I'm sure someone here will tell me why I shouldn't, but it's free, does the job, and I get good value for my money :cool:

The only real downside is when I'm on a non-fruit machine or need to enter a password on my streaming box or something once every few months but I can deal with 30 seconds of fishing my phone out of my pocket.

I’ve never heard anything bad about keychains security- but it’s a real pain to access the passwords when you want to use it with anything non Apple.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Windows has had support for limited user access ever since they moved on from the Chicago kernel, and LUA is the generic term for what Unix-likes default to, with root being root and every other not being root (unless they're in wheel on the BSDs and can use su, or sudo+properly configured /etc/sudoers is setup).

I'm not sure what you are trying to tell me here. Obviously Windows can be set up to be annoying about escalating access just like linux, but its all about UX.

I'm a linux guys and will defend it, but I have also never had to manually define what application to use to escalate to sudo in an MS environment. Making someone who doesn't do this for fun do it on a linux machine at home is punishment for not using windows sanely. It's not hard.

I feel like almost everyone is missing that we are talking about a partners personal machine, not a work one with someone who isn't going to play games using it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Time for a proper Holy poo poo moment: NAT Slipstreaming allows an attacker to remotely access any TCP/UDP services bound to a victim machine, bypassing the victim's NAT/firewall (arbitrary firewall pinhole control), just by the victim visiting a website.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Oh poo poo, when I saw Samy was involved I knew it was serious

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

This was kinda being done previously with UPnP services on SOHO routers, but yeah this makes it even easier.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I'm happy that my browsers block access to any RFC1918 IP space from the web and that I have WebRTC turned off because of constant abuse from virtually every site on the internet trying to use it to port scan.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, this is some great display of stack mastery.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm either more exhausted or drunk than I realize, this is breaking my brain

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Potato Salad posted:

Its an impressive piece of work, and we're going to see more stuff like this in the future, especially with more and more websites pushing "edge services" that are more intrusive on your local machine.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Potato Salad posted:

It’s basically:
- SIP as a protocol requires that the other end connect back into a “random” port on your computer, which is specified in the connection handshake
- to make this work, NAT gateways look for outbound SIP traffic and rewrite the addresses to point to the outer side of the gateway, and forward traffic from there to the port specified
- TCP “messages” that are too big for the configured/negotiated MSS get split across multiple IP packets
- if you line things up just right, you can get the browser to send an HTTP request that gets split such that the second IP packet looks like a SIP packet that you forge with the address and port you want the NAT gateway to forward to
- he can line things up just right with a lovely toolbox of tricks and patience
- the NAT gateway sees that second packet and does the SIP forwarding dance
- now, if you can get a browser to load a page, you can get its NAT gateway to open up forwarding to anything on that network

(assuming that your NAT gateway is susceptible to this, but I suspect that very many are)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

(assuming that your NAT gateway is susceptible to this, but I suspect that very many are)
If they aren't, people're gonna have problems with SIP (which is what's being used in this attack), along with IPSec (and PPTP/LTP), TFTP, plus IRC XDCC and FTP as listed on the site, and there's likely other protocols that use it too.
I doubt you can find a firewall that doesn't implement it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If they aren't, people're gonna have problems with SIP (which is what's being used in this attack), along with IPSec (and PPTP/LTP), TFTP, plus IRC XDCC and FTP as listed on the site, and there's likely other protocols that use it too.
I doubt you can find a firewall that doesn't implement it.

It could implement it without being susceptible to the packet splitting element, by maintaining more state such that it recognized that the constructed REGISTER was part of the HTTP request. This would be more expensive computationally, though.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Subjunctive posted:

It could implement it without being susceptible to the packet splitting element, by maintaining more state [...]

Does it actually require more state to be held? Couldn't it just check the thing that looks like a sip packet has fragment offset = 0 (ie not fragmented or first fragment)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

If they aren't, people're gonna have problems with SIP (which is what's being used in this attack)
This is how the SIP ALGs are marketed, but honestly I have more problems caused by them than solved by them. In 15 years of supporting and building VoIP systems so far the only SIP ALG I've found to actually help is the Edgewater Edgemarc, and even that required special configuration of the phones to work best. Everything else was best turned off.

We handle NAT by using TCP where possible for the SIP part and then just standard UDP hole punching for RTP. If we have to run SIP over UDP we send a keepalive every 45 seconds which is enough to keep the connection open through most NATs, and the few that closed earlier we have always been able to just request that the client's IT extend their timeout. It works great, no ALG required.

That said as Subjunctive pointed out this is not an inherent flaw in the concept of ALGs, just an exploit of a potentially common design flaw.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

It could implement it without being susceptible to the packet splitting element, by maintaining more state such that it recognized that the constructed REGISTER was part of the HTTP request. This would be more expensive computationally, though.
Even with Berkeley Packet Filter which is a virtual machine designed to handle packets, it's insanely expensive.

The other problem is that the vast majority of devices and CPEs nowadays implement the functionality in some kind of hardware offload functionality, meaning it's not something you can fix in software.

wolrah posted:

That said as Subjunctive pointed out this is not an inherent flaw in the concept of ALGs, just an exploit of a potentially common design flaw.
Sure, except, see above about it being implemented in hardware.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
This has more to do with privacy than security but I'm not sure of a better thread for this sort of stuff.

Has anyone found a good alternative to Google Voice? I've had my number there for years but I am in the process of de-googling my life and it's one of the last things I have left. I'm not keen on moving my number to my carrier as I am on someone else's plan but may just compartmentalize GVoice if I have to and leave it on my phone.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rufus Ping posted:

Does it actually require more state to be held? Couldn't it just check the thing that looks like a sip packet has fragment offset = 0 (ie not fragmented or first fragment)

yeah, that might work. would be a pretty cheap check, could even put it in the offload hardware

Even with Berkeley Packet Filter which is a virtual machine designed to handle packets, it's insanely expensive.

The other problem is that the vast majority of devices and CPEs nowadays implement the functionality in some kind of hardware offload functionality, meaning it's not something you can fix in software.

Is it really expensive to check ip.ip_off == 0 in a BPF implementation? eBPF is JITted in Linux and the BSDs these days I think, and that’s a pretty light bit of code to generate: fixed offset against fixed value, mask out the DNF bits if you want to be especially picky, branch prediction will be extremely accurate because fragmentation in the wild is quite quite rare.

That they made bad choices about hardware offload implementation isn’t predestined or necessary. They chose that, and they could have chosen to make tighter checks before adding forwards. If the offload engine isn’t fragment-aware either then there are fuckups at two levels, yawn.

It’s not like most router makers fix a lot of poo poo in software anyway, so it may not be much of a practical difference anyway.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

cage-free egghead posted:

This has more to do with privacy than security but I'm not sure of a better thread for this sort of stuff.

Has anyone found a good alternative to Google Voice? I've had my number there for years but I am in the process of de-googling my life and it's one of the last things I have left. I'm not keen on moving my number to my carrier as I am on someone else's plan but may just compartmentalize GVoice if I have to and leave it on my phone.

Whatsapp is the only other :airquote: free :airquote: one I know about. If you don't want to give Zuckerfucker your call logs then you'll have to shell out some cash. Skype is $7/month, that's the cheapest I've found.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I believe Microsoft Teams is free to download and use in Teams-to-Teams calls if you have a Microsoft account.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I guess I should have specified. I'm not looking for a messaging app, but rather a service that I can bring my number to that allows me to call and text via data. GVoice has been good with how much I jump from phone to phone or from different carriers. Then I just log into Voice and everything is just like it was.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

If you're comfortable with doing things yourself, voip.ms is actually fairly decent and cheap for putting a number on as they charge by usage (1c/min, plus like $1/mo for a number) generally with pops throughout North America. Any sip client works, and they've got a no-frills sms app too.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

So what kind of mitigation can be done on the slipstream attack besides disabling ALGs? I know I can disable the SIP ALG on my PAN FWs (and it usually is due to the aforementioned issues with it and VOIP), but it seems like the other ALGs are susceptible and I don't immediately see a way to disable those. In the details, one of the steps is

"HTTP POST" to server on TCP port 5060 (SIP port) initiated, avoiding restricted browser ports

Which is easy enough to restrict to only trusted destinations, but I assume this only applies if you're attacking the SIP ALG.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

I didn't say every bad implementation could be fixed, just that it is an avoidable problem.

rafikki posted:

So what kind of mitigation can be done on the slipstream attack besides disabling ALGs? I know I can disable the SIP ALG on my PAN FWs (and it usually is due to the aforementioned issues with it and VOIP), but it seems like the other ALGs are susceptible and I don't immediately see a way to disable those. In the details, one of the steps is
Disable any ALGs you don't need if possible, and block traffic on their relevant ports if not possible.

If you actually need any of those protocols then apply rules that lock them down as restrictively as is practical.

cage-free egghead posted:

I guess I should have specified. I'm not looking for a messaging app, but rather a service that I can bring my number to that allows me to call and text via data. GVoice has been good with how much I jump from phone to phone or from different carriers. Then I just log into Voice and everything is just like it was.
Any decent VoIP provider can provide more or less the same incoming call functionality, but I have yet to find anything that offers as smooth of outbound calling capability where it can seamlessly take over your phone's standard dialer instead of requiring the use of a separate softphone.

The built-in Android SIP client is technically usable but it's not great in a lot of ways.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Voip.ms looks promising, they just released support for SMS too. Looks to work pretty similarly to Voice in that you can port your number to them and then just forward any calls to that number to any device you want, as with SMS. Voip.ms paired with LinPhone on FDroid looks to be a popular option that is relatively inexpensive.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
SECFUCK TIME!

I got emails from SpaceX! I am not employed by SpaceX, but I do work on Buildroot which SpaceX uses!

- My name and all of the other Buildroot developers have emails attached to many of the packages SpaceX is using.
- Their email scraper probably didn't filter out emails not ending in SpaceX
- All of the Buildroot maintainers/developers now have every engineer who is working on Starlinks email address lmao.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
I don't like SaaS that sends emails to all my business users from their domain but with one of my user's first and last name in the From:, because that's basically how phishing attacks happen (typically the phish leverages our CEOs name). I don't think I can even whitelist/prevent the warning that Gmail slaps on the message "be careful, this matches someone in your org but didn't come from yourdomain.com". Am I wrong to be annoyed by SaaS vendors that do this?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

droll posted:

I don't like SaaS that sends emails to all my business users from their domain but with one of my user's first and last name in the From:, because that's basically how phishing attacks happen (typically the phish leverages our CEOs name). I don't think I can even whitelist/prevent the warning that Gmail slaps on the message "be careful, this matches someone in your org but didn't come from yourdomain.com". Am I wrong to be annoyed by SaaS vendors that do this?

Definitely not, we got hammered hard by people doing that trick so we implemented quarantining of any message where the from line is one of our guys name, but the domain isn't @ourbussiness. While it stopped pretty much every the vast majority of phishing attempts, the only thing stopping us from just ignoring the quarantine entirely is that a lot of our cloud services do that exact thing.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
OK thank you so it's not just me. I now have 2 vendors that are doing it causing me headaches. I can't send them to gsuite admin quarantine, I have to send such email to Spam instead then use Gmail spam whitelisting to have the 2 vendor specific ones come to Inbox. But I still have stupid users digging into their Spam folders then asking the service desk about them...

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Even better is when the application claims to come from your email address. HP Test Director used to do this (the modern Micro Focus version probably still does.)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

My grip with KnowBe4 is that their "phishing campaigns" are not realistic. They force you to whitelist etc so your messages look authentic...when normally they would not.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Bob Morales posted:

My grip with KnowBe4 is that their "phishing campaigns" are not realistic. They force you to whitelist etc so your messages look authentic...when normally they would not.

Isn't the idea that teaching your users to rely on warnings on unauthentic messages is not good, and that it's better to teach them how to spot phishing the normal, more universal ways?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

droll posted:

Isn't the idea that teaching your users to rely on warnings on unauthentic messages is not good, and that it's better to teach them how to spot phishing the normal, more universal ways?

That's how I read it. Thise warnings won't be there when they open up their personal email at work (lol if you think they won't) so better they have a universal skill than one that relies on your orgs specific setup.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

You can pretty easily make your own custom ones that look much more like traditional spam.

I've used KnowBe4 at three different places now and in the end, theres always about 5-10% of people who will click on literally anything despite all the training in the world. At my last place we we're able to place them in a custom high risk pool for spam filtering that was MUCH more aggressive and basically whitelisted senders if I recall correctly.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bob Morales posted:

Another way to look at it is that it's a way to reinforce with your users that they need their judgement caps on at all times, even when an email doesn't have [External] in the subject

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I've used KnowBe4 at three different places now and in the end, theres always about 5-10% of people who will click on literally anything despite all the training in the world. At my last place we we're able to place them in a custom high risk pool for spam filtering that was MUCH more aggressive and basically whitelisted senders if I recall correctly.

Why are they not being reeducated or terminated instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

droll posted:

They end up sending messages that don't have things like incorrect domains, invalid users, etc.