Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

prefect posted:

Could you take Japan and just build a megalopolis that's 100% districts pushed up against each other, with no farmland or mines or anything?

So...Tokyo?

Sucrose posted:

What's SA's verdict on this one? I love love loved IV (especially the Rhys and Fall mod) and thought V was just okay. The fact that I had to scroll to page 5 to find this thread worries me.

A bunch of opinions, but I think its at least as good as 5 was at release, maybe better. The AI thing is dumb, but if you like to just gently caress around and not worry too much about the challenge of getting to a victory condition I don't think its the end of the world. UI is legit pretty bad and the religion-victory-game is neat but not fully baked. Culture victory is similar.

I've been telling people its a good game to play a couple games through (each game is about 20 hours if you play through the eras), and then past that the warts will really show. If you want a game you can have fun with for 40 hours then put away while you wait for the expansions I think it's a good buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

JVNO posted:

I think I've exhausted the city name list because all of my cities are 'Carthage' now.

How many cities do you have?

Lockback posted:

If you want a game you can have fun with for 40 hours then put away while you wait for the expansions I think it's a good buy.

40 hours? That's barely one game.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 8, 2016

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

JVNO posted:

Wait, is this actually the case? Because it doesn't seem to take it into account and display the hypothetical adjacency bonus when placing the districts.

Pretty sure it is, but I also thought it does display the bonus so I dunno.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Sucrose posted:

Think this'll be patched anytime soon? I usually suck pretty hard at the game, so sub-par AI opposition isn't a huge dealbreaker to me.

I've seen people suggest that the reasons the AI can't take walled cities are along these lines:

1. It always tries to move before it considers attacking. (You see this "Gotta move!" AI process all over the place - if an AI unit is blocking your scout or missionary or whatever you can bet that if you wait a turn it'll move out of the way, while a human might well just fortify its unit in place)

2. It doesn't realise that siege units can't attack if they've moved, so it moves them then tries to attack, can't, and pillages instead.

3. It calculates whether its available melee forces can take a city before the city's damage back to them would destroy them. Since taking a city with walls is very nasty for melee units, it usually calculates that the attack would fail and decides not to attack at all.

Problem 3 is actually sensible AI, it's just hamstrung by points 1 and 2 which ensure that enemy siege units never fire on cities except in odd situations where they're unable to move (blocked in by friendly units, for example).

When I get round to it I'm going to test my hypothesis by making a mod that removes the "cannot fire if you've moved" trait from siege units and see if the AI becomes a city-smashing master.

-----

I've also heard that the "calculate if you're going to win and decide to attack or not based on that" is also part of why the AI often doesn't attack with its units. If it doesn't think it'll kill a unit this turn it won't attack it. Barbarian AI is different - lacking this calculation - so often feels more aggressive.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

prefect posted:

It's going to be hard to violate my seven-hexes-apart rule, but I will try it, by gosh!

Yeah the challenge comes in two parts - violating whatever mental rules you've put in place regarding city placement and making sure the vital districts are both in the right place and in the middle of the clusterfuck. I think a six-tile gap max between cities is good, as you can designate a central spot for industrial zones and get a electronics factory orgy going on and also possibly benefit from any multi-city entertainment stuff you build. Then it's a case of putting whatever your victory condition is closer to the middle and the rest outwards.

You still need farms and mines early, but you can slowly replace them with housing later and be just fine.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Thing I learned/realized the other day: your city borders may expand beyond three-tiles-from-the-city (I like the "religious settlements" pantheon), but you can't build anything outside of the three-tile radius.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

prefect posted:

Thing I learned/realized the other day: your city borders may expand beyond three-tiles-from-the-city (I like the "religious settlements" pantheon), but you can't build anything outside of the three-tile radius.

That's been true since 4 at least (can't work those tiles is the main upshot, but you can claim resources)

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Zero_Grade posted:

COME ON AND SLAM
AND WELCOME TO JAPAN

I'm late to this but this cheered up my crappy day, thanks man. :)

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

prefect posted:

Yeah, once I found out that was true in my main city, I just bought all the spare tiles to make my smaller cities as big as possible. Sure, you can't build useful things there, but forcing the game to expand out to those tiles brought a lot of stuff like aluminum and uranium into the empire, and stopped the AIs from being able to colonize so close to my drat cities.

I really do hate that last bit. You make one city a few tiles from theirs and they yell at you, but see no problem founding three cities with the city center right on your extant border. What a bunch of douches. Those aren't even going to be good cities for them.

aniviron fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 9, 2016

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

"That loving City" is the number one cause of AI extinction! Computer friends don't let friends forward-settle against human opponents. :awesomelon:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Made a mod that removes the "May not fire after moving" modifier from siege units in the hope that the AI will actually fire them.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Settling your cities close together is basically a necessity to achieve full Pretty Borders, which is the only thing that matters

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Has anyone played with resources on "abundant"? I'm wondering if this includes strategic and luxury resources. I think luxury resources are perfect but there are not enough strategic resources in the game in my opinion.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
If you simple give AI civ units the barbarian unit logic, it would make them hella better at war.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Captain Gordon posted:

If you simple give AI civ units the barbarian unit logic, it would make them hella better potentially terrifying at war.

Especially without the scouting precursor.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Maybe it's recency bias but I officially like this version better than V. Districts have grown on me and make city planning much more interesting. Culture got more in-depth and is now a fun victory type to go for (stealing artwork is fun). City-states are handled better and I like how trade routes work.

Putting aside the war AI, there are really two things I'd love to see them change and I think would be easy to pull off. Make religious units more powerful but also cost more faith (I'm guessing this can even just be a mod). And allow for more movement for units later in the game (again, couldn't this just be a mod that adds one movement in the later eras?). The first patch was done well and made the game harder. I think they are on the right path.

By the way, any chance we get a patch by Christmas? I'll have a week out of town at family and planning on playing this a lot instead of interacting with them.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Hrm.

It seems to me that being allied with a player means you shouldn't be able to use spies to blow up his factories.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Niwrad posted:

Has anyone played with resources on "abundant"? I'm wondering if this includes strategic and luxury resources. I think luxury resources are perfect but there are not enough strategic resources in the game in my opinion.

I play with resources on abundant and as far as I can tell it affects all three kinds of resources. It tends to make luxury clumps more dense, especially.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Phanatic posted:

Hrm.

It seems to me that being allied with a player means you shouldn't be able to use spies to blow up his factories.

I completely disagree; doing horrible things to allies as black ops is kinda how things should work.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Phanatic posted:

Hrm.

What's it like never having heard of the CIA?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

His naivety is to be cherished, not scolded. Away with you.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Gort posted:

Made a mod that removes the "May not fire after moving" modifier from siege units in the hope that the AI will actually fire them.

Trip report?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

silvergoose posted:

I completely disagree; doing horrible things to allies as black ops is kinda how things should work.

If anything, being allied should make spy operations stronger.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It's probably to prevent even more strife in already tense multiplayer games. Like, I had lots of fun in Civ 4 playing with my friends with Permanent Alliance settings on so we could eventually team up and win together, but in the meantime, I loved making GBS threads Privateers up and down their coasts. In retrospect, that was really dick of me.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

In retrospect, that was really dick of me.
Isn't that the whole point of online multiplayer though :v:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You can do that, but it's loving stupid because your allies are trading partners and military buffers. Sabotaging them only sabotages yourself.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
If alliances shift and suddenly someone no longer becomes an ally, it either becomes obvious that tensions will flare up, or you'll sneak attack with overwhelming force so to take their land with minimal casualties. None of this penny ante passive aggressive spy poo poo.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Does the AI give a poo poo about its own warmonger penalties? every time 2 or 3 civs decide to declare war on me in the early game I stomp at least one of them due to shoddy unit AI and then that's it, the entire world now hates me for the rest of the game and I may as well become a rampaging death machine because it will take 1500 years for my warmonger penalties to go down.

Every. Single. Time. The fact that they declared war on me seems irrelevant. Am I supposed to just be purely defensive and wait until they offer me peace and 6 gold or something?

Edit: They should allow high warmonger civs to ignore other high warmonger civs warmonger penalties so you can at least be monsters "together".

Edit 2: Or being the target of a declaration of war should give you an initial negative warmonger penalty so that you have some leeway to fight back before being declared to be literally hitler because you captured Washington with two archers in 500BC because Roosevelt was being a dick again.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Dec 9, 2016

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

When will the Aztecs be available for everyone? I hope it will include a patch that will fix the dreaded crash during AI turn.

edit: looks like a bunch of blanc achievements have been added, signaling soon to come DLC.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Dec 9, 2016

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Saw the Romans take the walled cities of Brussels and Tenochtitlan in my deity/huge/pangaea game just now. Might have been them doing it with a ram though.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Does the AI give a poo poo about its own warmonger penalties? every time 2 or 3 civs decide to declare war on me in the early game I stomp at least one of them due to shoddy unit AI and then that's it, the entire world now hates me for the rest of the game and I may as well become a rampaging death machine because it will take 1500 years for my warmonger penalties to go down.

Every. Single. Time. The fact that they declared war on me seems irrelevant. Am I supposed to just be purely defensive and wait until they offer me peace and 6 gold or something?

Edit: They should allow high warmonger civs to ignore other high warmonger civs warmonger penalties so you can at least be monsters "together".

Edit 2: Or being the target of a declaration of war should give you an initial negative warmonger penalty so that you have some leeway to fight back before being declared to be literally hitler because you captured Washington with two archers in 500BC because Roosevelt was being a dick again.

you should not give a poo poo and murder everyone, but if you want to try to be friends with the ai for some reason then murder their units and pillage their poo poo. they will give up and probably give you poo poo to leave them alone.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

silvergoose posted:

A Friendship, sure. But if a computer player is an ally, and blows up my industrial district, *and* I catch him, that should have some implication for the alliance. Was the US running around trying to blow up British factories during WWII? Spying on allies is a time-honored tradition, actually blowing their poo poo up is something else.

Also, there should be a metal band called Warmonger.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Gort posted:

Saw the Romans take the walled cities of Brussels and Tenochtitlan in my deity/huge/pangaea game just now. Might have been them doing it with a ram though.

gently caress, just tried a domination-only, pangaea map, deity game on online speed for maximum warmongering and the AI is still completely unable to take a city in the late game. Its units just sort of sit around in your territory until you send your janitors to clean them up.

The worst damage I had was when an enemy spy stole my entire treasury plus enough money to put me into debt, which caused my entire army to disband :psyduck:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Phanatic posted:

A Friendship, sure. But if a computer player is an ally, and blows up my industrial district, *and* I catch him, that should have some implication for the alliance. Was the US running around trying to blow up British factories during WWII? Spying on allies is a time-honored tradition, actually blowing their poo poo up is something else.

Also, there should be a metal band called Warmonger.

I agree, it should have consequences. It should also be allowed to happen!

And, no, but were they blowing up soviet factories during WWII? I dunno. I wouldn't be shocked if they were, though. :v:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Are there any good Civ VI modding tutorials anywhere? Like, how do I even add mods to this game? They've certainly made it more difficult than Civ V.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

John F Bennett posted:

When will the Aztecs be available for everyone? I hope it will include a patch that will fix the dreaded crash during AI turn.

edit: looks like a bunch of blanc achievements have been added, signaling soon to come DLC.
They said 90 days after launch. The game was released Oct. 20, 2016. Today is 50 days since; the to-the-day expected date would be January 18, 2017.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Are there any good Civ VI modding tutorials anywhere? Like, how do I even add mods to this game? They've certainly made it more difficult than Civ V.

You put them in Documents>My Games>Civ 6> Mods

So for my mod you'd end up with Documents>My Games>Civ 6>Mods>AI Siege Help

Then enable them from the main menu under additional content.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
A little late to the 6 tile industry district radius tall but just a reminder that stadiums have that too so it's worth it to put both within range of cities.

Also while the city spacing thing is good, don't be afraid to put cities a little closer if you've got a bigger bonus like rivers. Rarely are you going to run into spacing issues.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

JetsGuy posted:

A little late to the 6 tile industry district radius tall but just a reminder that stadiums have that too so it's worth it to put both within range of cities.

Also while the city spacing thing is good, don't be afraid to put cities a little closer if you've got a bigger bonus like rivers. Rarely are you going to run into spacing issues.

The per-city bonuses seem way more powerful than any benefits you get from high pop (putting citizens into districts is underpowered, for example). I guess you could run into happiness issues, but the entertainment districts serving more cities would probably balance that out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The per-city bonuses seem way more powerful than any benefits you get from high pop (putting citizens into districts is underpowered, for example). I guess you could run into happiness issues, but the entertainment districts serving more cities would probably balance that out

Yep. The happiness issues definitely do and there's times it's *better* for production and or growth to build closer. If there's a river or a baller spot with lots of resources that you'd have taken otherwise just take it.

Even with the 7 space "rules" you can just put the industry/entertainment in the appropriate place to affect 2-3 cities.