Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I know difficulty scales with number of bros, but doesn't game time factor as well? Seems difficult to be like 80 days in and then lose everything.

IIRC non-contract fights scale based on time but contract ones don't. During the orc and undead crises there are a lot of non-contract fights :v:
So to get his company back in shape, I R Smart needs to avoid any random parties and get his replacement mercs leveled and geared through mostly contracts. I dunno what the arena scales on but that might be a good option if it's based on the level of his strongest dudes. He's got six dudes in that screenshot which is the amount he wants, since difficulty scaling for contracts treats you as having a minimum of six bros so six newbie mercs = easiest possible contract fights. Also when you need to run away from enemies on the world map a lot, the increased travel speed from having a smaller party helps a lot :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Ooh the noble contract to raze a location in one of their settlements sucks. Apparently if any of the defenders flees the field you don't get paid and your reputation with the house tanks. That uh, would have been nice to know beforehand. Especially since the only reason I took it was because I had the ally a noble house ambition and that was the only contract they were offering anywhere at the time. :suicide:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Count Uvula posted:

I admire your tenacity for building back up from one dude during a crisis lmao

never give up & never surrender :911:

I'm treating this as a roguelike. it keeps going until I get splattered

as for contracts. I've still been able to find 1 skull in between trade runs. if I find a town that has ambushed convoys I stick around and help the local militia take them on. avg lvl is now 4 and I have slightly better weapons than before. I didn't realize that with fewer dudes the exp split is less so they are leveling much faster than the first group. I didn't take iron brow this time and took gifted instead which helps me shore up these newbies

in an rp sense Harald has been lying to the new crew and told them he's been around since the original founding and knows all the secret trade routes. in reality he was the stupid newbie carrying everyone else's stuff but conversely he really did get a good view of how to manage the company

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Gobblecoque posted:

Ooh the noble contract to raze a location in one of their settlements sucks. Apparently if any of the defenders flees the field you don't get paid and your reputation with the house tanks. That uh, would have been nice to know beforehand. Especially since the only reason I took it was because I had the ally a noble house ambition and that was the only contract they were offering anywhere at the time. :suicide:

It DOES tell you that in the dialogue, but you'd be forgiven for skipping the 80th variation of 'ugh people are disgusting and awful, here's a description of their said awfulness and how awful you the player character are'

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
so I say all of that to end this campaign due to a barbarian reaver ambush, 12v6 in the woods, because I got distracted. I think I had a shot at turning this around but tbf each time a campaign has ended has been to a bad contract call then a death spiral. my biggest mistake was those low resolve heroes. during the barbarian champion fight they broke hard, when a bro died. I straight forgot about the rally ability on the banner letting my bros take a bunch of unnecessary damage when they fled. I think if I had only lost 3 instead of 5 bros I could have finished the unhold fight in a better position. still losing bros mind you but more survivors

alright time for a southern mercenaries start. I feel like I have to at least get through a crisis before moving up to 2 skull start position

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Drakenel posted:

It DOES tell you that in the dialogue, but you'd be forgiven for skipping the 80th variation of 'ugh people are disgusting and awful, here's a description of their said awfulness and how awful you the player character are'

I love the writing, and the tone is spot on for the ludonarrative experience. People are ugly and money is everything, smile politely when the vizier calls you a dog faced peasant because he pays you good coin to shed blood.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Drakenel posted:

Yeah I guess it was probably there in the fine print but honestly I remember it just being "the peasants at shithole village need to know what happens when they don't pay their protection money, go burn down their amber hut." I dunno why it wouldn't be noted on the objective summary in the top right since the whole contract hinges on that little detail.

Also, when you get back and they refuse to pay there should be an option to go "gently caress you, pay up or I burn more of your poo poo" at the cost of more rep.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah I guess it was probably there in the fine print but honestly I remember it just being "the peasants at shithole village need to know what happens when they don't pay their protection money, go burn down their amber hut." I dunno why it wouldn't be noted on the objective summary in the top right since the whole contract hinges on that little detail.

Also, when you get back and they refuse to pay there should be an option to go "gently caress you, pay up or I burn more of your poo poo" at the cost of more rep.

I think there's one type of contract where you do that, but there's another one where they hire you to go sabotage another noble house's place and part of the deal is that there aren't supposed to be any survivors to say it was you.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

so I say all of that to end this campaign due to a barbarian reaver ambush, 12v6 in the woods, because I got distracted. I think I had a shot at turning this around but tbf each time a campaign has ended has been to a bad contract call then a death spiral. my biggest mistake was those low resolve heroes. during the barbarian champion fight they broke hard, when a bro died. I straight forgot about the rally ability on the banner letting my bros take a bunch of unnecessary damage when they fled. I think if I had only lost 3 instead of 5 bros I could have finished the unhold fight in a better position. still losing bros mind you but more survivors

alright time for a southern mercenaries start. I feel like I have to at least get through a crisis before moving up to 2 skull start position

FWIW Band of Poachers and Northern Raiders are both easier than the 1-star origins with caveats. Poachers needs a good origin seed more so than any other band and you need to spend most of your starting gold on melee guy/equipment, and Northern Raiders start strong but A) have to spend the first 3-5 days doing a deathmarch south, avoiding roads, B) get paid like poo poo for contracts until your renown balances out -- but you get more poo poo to sell from combat.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

It sounds like you have your heart set on ironman mode but you also mentioned getting frustrated at times so I'll throw in my 2c and suggest turning ironman off. It's just way too easy to get distracted for a moment on the world map and get jumped by something you can't beat, or get some bad luck with the terrain rng and end up having to fight uphill against fortified goblins. You can still play ironman-ish if you can avoid the temptation to reload every time you lose a guy but have to option to reload if something really bullshit happens. Or just go all in on save scumming like I think most people in the thread do, if you ever want to build a real late game company that can do the unique challenge locations, save scumming recruits is the only way you'll ever find good enough bros without endlessly grinding and blowing through gold hiring and firing everyone in every town.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I like the idea of Ironman in this game and I try to minimize my use of saves, but the game doesn't lend itself very well to it in practice, especially if you aren't already an expert at it. The game doesn't really have recovery mechanics and a single bad engagement can easily end a campaign, which pushes you towards being very conservative in your risk management and studiously avoiding any fights that could present a satisfying challenge. It's just less fun than being able to take on a real banger of a battle without having to bet the campaign on it.

This is compounded by the fact that many of the enemies are built around unique mechanics that need to be countered by special strategies, often including equipment and other preparations that need to be made at the campaign level before you even load the battle. Fighting something like Lindwurms without preparation is basically guaranteed to be a disaster, and if you're trying learn the game on Ironman you're going to have a bunch of runs that get out of early game and then die the first time you encounter an opponent with a new gimmick.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I love the writing, and the tone is spot on for the ludonarrative experience. People are ugly and money is everything, smile politely when the vizier calls you a dog faced peasant because he pays you good coin to shed blood.

Sure, I'm not claiming its bad, it's just a bit repetitive when the most variation you get is 'the entire company starts a huge brawl with itself out of nowhere. Everyone gets the snot beat out of them, but they're having a grand time' +morale

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
hilariously lindworms I met in a group fight with city militia and yeah they are super scary. that peasant militia campaign ended with me trying new enemy fights and seeing how mechanics work like alps

as for ironman I have a bad habit of save scuming games. ironman keeps me moving forward and not retrying infinitely. I do appreciate the advice and I may have been overstating my frustrations. I play table top games so dice fuckery isn't new to me

overall the game has been great and while there is a steep learning curve it doesn't feel insurmountable. the gotcha parts are fighting new enemy types. which tbf makes sense and this game provides an actual variety of enemy types which makes new encounters fun and challenging. my new bros are a lot better equipped and I have an actual plan for leveling them. it feels like I'm progressing a lot quicker than last time

tl;dr sorry if I come off as a whiny babby but I am having a ton of fun

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

tl;dr sorry if I come off as a whiny babby

You don't at all, don't worry! Just wanted to point out that despite the game telling you that ironman is the intended way to play, a lot of people don't think the game is well designed for it. I've played my share of roguelikes and ironman paradox games but I turn it off for BB. But if you're having fun then that's all that matters!

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I turned ironman off pretty quickly when I first started playing BB but I find that the fact that you can't save mid-battle and that battles often take a good bit of time to resolve does a lot to keep me honest.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I'm now at day 40 and my company is in chainmail or about to be. on the way to a 1 skull item retrieval I ran into an event that asked me to chase a bandit. I happily did; into an ambush of bandit raiders. I managed to win only losing 1 of my original 3. on the flipside I got a pike and hooked blade out of it. their replacement hire is a solid archer candidate

too bad he's overshadowed by this monster

:getin:

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

It's been awhile since I've played, but did they nerf orcs? They were the bane of my low-to-mid level bros but now I'm in the midst of a greenskin crisis and I'm seemingly only fighting a ton of orc young with a few orc berserkers if any of the older, beefier types.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

frogge posted:

It's been awhile since I've played, but did they nerf orcs? They were the bane of my low-to-mid level bros but now I'm in the midst of a greenskin crisis and I'm seemingly only fighting a ton of orc young with a few orc berserkers if any of the older, beefier types.

Knowing a bit about how to fight Orcs changes the sway of the battle dramatically, orc young go from a moderate threat to a tasty stack of morale dominoes waiting to be toppled

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I R SMART LIKE ROCK has inspired me to finally play the peasant campaign myself and omg hiring is so drat sad compared to normal games. How am I supposed to make decent 2h bros with these stats hrngggg

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
you don't :haw:

I'm on day uhh 128? of my southern mercenaries campaign. I've got 10 bros in mostly reinforced haubreks and are levels 7-10. We've got a new orc invasion but I'm in an overall better position

I think I wasted too much time visiting the norther part of the map and trying to run trade goods down south. whereas it looks like I get most of that money by having a centrally located city be under caravan attacks. I've also taken too long to tackle harder contracts because I'm afraid of losing good bros

I'm ready to break my no-info rule

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Duelist works with throwing weapons? Holy poo poo now I know why they're so popular.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Duelist works with throwing weapons? Holy poo poo now I know why they're so popular.

They might be the best damage dealers in the game. I incorporate thrower/archers as my main ranged bros, and sometimes if I have a bro with exceptional RAttk and MAttk I make a duellist who starts out with ranged weapons, allows the enemy to get close, then fights in melee - if the adjacent enemy goes down, he switches back to the javelins and lets fly.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Throwing weapons are probably the best pure DPS in the game. Heavy javelins with Duelist, Throwing Mastery, and other damage skills will wreck just about any enemy.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I can't remember, did one use utility items in the off hand stop duelist from working?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Nope they are basically encouraged.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
They don't stop Duelist, but they do stop the Double Grip 25% damage bonus, so try to use the item early in the fight if it's on a melee duelist. For throwers it doesn't matter.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
welp it finally happened. lost a lvl10 bro, Yazid, in a fight with a necromancer. I took on a contract to clear out an area and it was hiding behind some trees and I couldn't get good shots on it. I've got 15k and it's a lot easier to raise new dudes when you can afford constant training

I finally remembered to look at the retinue screen. I decided to go with scout, paymaster, blacksmith. I don't think a surgeon would have saved Yazid from becoming a zomboi

how do ya'll handle goblin camps? even in large battles their shooting just wrecks me unless I turtle up and slow walk to them. they can still wreck anyone they can net and alpha strike down

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

going into goblin camps at night helps a lot

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

welp it finally happened. lost a lvl10 bro, Yazid, in a fight with a necromancer. I took on a contract to clear out an area and it was hiding behind some trees and I couldn't get good shots on it. I've got 15k and it's a lot easier to raise new dudes when you can afford constant training

I finally remembered to look at the retinue screen. I decided to go with scout, paymaster, blacksmith. I don't think a surgeon would have saved Yazid from becoming a zomboi

how do ya'll handle goblin camps? even in large battles their shooting just wrecks me unless I turtle up and slow walk to them. they can still wreck anyone they can net and alpha strike down

Usually hit goblins with a combination shieldbros and polearms, they are fairly trivial when you have endgame bros. But they are profitable to fight in the midgame and in the smaller numbers you get them in then you generally have enough advantages to deal with them consistently. Stay in formation, move forward. Shieldbros (kite shields and swords or maces depending on if you need the plus to hit from swords) block arrows and tie up infantry, polearms put out damage. Pikes have a plus 10% to hit, I think billhooks have a plus 5% but with more damage. Pikes are ideal for killing goblins. Crossbows also do good work if you have a decent crossbro. Basically, once you can consistently hit goblins they melt, but they will ruin you if you prolong a fight with them.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Goblins are also a big check to see if you have good enough armour. Even with good shields they will still hit you sometimes because their ranged attack is so high that every arrow has like 30% to hit or higher, they will absolutely focus all their fire on the bro with the lowest ranged defence instead of spreading it around, and it will make a huge difference whether those arrows are eating away at 100 durability of armour or 300. The first is a recipe for a bro who is first poisoned and then dead, the second is a recipe for a bro who reaches the goblin lines with 200 armour durability left over and starts routing them.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Goblin ambushers can be surprisingly lethal once you finally get into melee, they have quick hands and decent enough MAttack to have an okay shot at landing punctures through your armor.

In general dogs are very helpful for dealing with goblin hordes

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
these are some good thoughts. I haven't messed with dogs or birds yet so this may be a good time to. hitting them at night also makes a ton of sense

I've fallen in love with warhammers. I've had a hammer bro since the beginning and he is probably the all star of the team. on that note how do you check their all time stats? who is the deadliest member of my team

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
On the inventory screen if you hover the cursor over a bro it'll say how long they've been with the company and how many kills they've gotten.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

rideANDxORdie posted:

Goblin ambushers can be surprisingly lethal once you finally get into melee, they have quick hands and decent enough MAttack to have an okay shot at landing punctures through your armor.

This is something to be very aware of if you're a beginner (and another reason not to undervalue raw health on frontliners). Goblins will die quickly in melee, but they are also dangerous enough that you can't be reckless about forcing the issue. Even a good brother in thick armor can find the tables turning on them in the worst way if you send them to base two Ambushers uphill.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I've just done my personal best fight so far. 12 bros, w/ a lvl 2 bro from losing Yazid earlier, just took on 28 nachzeher's and won. I tried by best to funnel them with the terrain into my killzone and everything just sorta clicked into place. rotation is huge for my playstyle and I feel like I've gotten better at combat with ya'll help

I thought my highest killcount would be my hammer bro, 104 battles 87 kills, but turns out the billhook guy has out paced him 104 battles and 124 kills. I will say hammerbro has cool factor going on and is still using a raider hammer. I want to say hammer kills are more memorable but billhook is really consistent killing troops I think

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

I've just done my personal best fight so far. 12 bros, w/ a lvl 2 bro from losing Yazid earlier, just took on 28 nachzeher's and won. I tried by best to funnel them with the terrain into my killzone and everything just sorta clicked into place. rotation is huge for my playstyle and I feel like I've gotten better at combat with ya'll help

I thought my highest killcount would be my hammer bro, 104 battles 87 kills, but turns out the billhook guy has out paced him 104 battles and 124 kills. I will say hammerbro has cool factor going on and is still using a raider hammer. I want to say hammer kills are more memorable but billhook is really consistent killing troops I think

In a game with some truly gnarly (in a good way) sound direction, that >THPINK< of a good hammer hit might be the best noise in the game.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
alright it is day 217 and I go to Grubenheim for a noble house orc contract. during my travels I find out the invasion is over and I've won the campaign :coolfish: no cities ended up being destroyed and half my team isn't lvl 11 but drat this game is fun

alright what should be next? I'm thinking of kicking up combat difficulty to expert but leaving economy at veteran. I nearly lost the last campaign in the middle when I went spending happy

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Congrats on beating the crisis! Doubly so if you're still on Ironman. You can stay in the campaign and chase that brass ring to retire as a truly legendary company. Another crisis will always kick in eventually, and you can use your time in between to build the company, hunt down uniques and sniff out legendary locations.

You could also start a new company. I play on Expert combat but do normal economic difficulty as I find the economic difficulty doesn't really change combat all that much, just makes managing the company a bigger PITA. Maybe you could try one of the more unique starts (raiders, manhunters, lone wolf or gladiators)? You can use the same map seed if you want to benefit from uncovering the map last campaign or try a new map altogether?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Now that you know how to fight I recommend Lone Wolf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I am still playing ironman and apparently only 5.4% of players have beat the first crisis this way

after the discussion on archer/throwers I did the same to mine and they are beastly. double handing a spear as a backup weapon made them pretty ok in combat. I can definitely see how different skill combos change how a bro works. now when I'm looking at bros stats and stars I can see what they'd be good at with a glance. whereas before I was picking relatively safe perks. e.g. I didn't use adrenaline until my 3rd round of replacement bros