Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Disagree, it's about as easy as it's ever been. Especially because the ship is built on Sadu just utterly dunking on Magnai every chance she gets.

I'd agree if Magnai ever gave as good as he got, but he's been just roundly embarrassed every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Olympus posted:

I mean it was basically right, an entirely correct reading of all the evidence and drawing some very natural conclusions

it just got the specific fancy lad wrong

Spoilers for Amons true id.

Yeah, and I love the fact that Amon got recruited right at the end by Emet-selch because of how he had turned Allag back into a horrible conqueror by cloning Xande. Amon unleashed an empire that was perfect for the Ascians to operate for and against to set up a new calamity.

That's what Emet-selch was doing, trying to recreate what Amon/Fandaniel did to the Allagans and apply it to the Garleans.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
toads were very funny

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Just started the quest after the first two questlines meet back up. Gotta say, I like it so far. I especially enjoy how it knows there's a lot of unanswered questions, so it answers some of the questions that are new to this expansion almost immediately. You go from wow this kid seems suspicious and then get the reason like 8 quests later. You say I wonder what's up with Krile and get the answer almost immediately. It's nice.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

always knew alphinaud was a master debater

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So, I'm hearing from friends that we have our first same-sex couple among actual recurring characters now in Endwalker: Cirina and Sadu.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

The Garlemald plotline (at least when you first get there) is kind of a miss for me. It's like 2 solid hours of imperialists spitting in your face and your allies being bleeding hearts for these unrepentant assholes who basically murdered a shitload of people over time.

Sorry, game, I just really don't feel sorry for them and the whole sequence just kind of feels like padding.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Cythereal posted:

So, I'm hearing from friends that we have our first same-sex couple among actual recurring characters now in Endwalker: Cirina and Sadu.

I was actually just about to post something about this in the main thread. I'm not 100% on calling them a couple, but I've only just come across them so maybe (hopefully) there's more.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

VanillaGorilla posted:

The Garlemald plotline (at least when you first get there) is kind of a miss for me. It's like 2 solid hours of imperialists spitting in your face and your allies being bleeding hearts for these unrepentant assholes who basically murdered a shitload of people over time.

Sorry, game, I just really don't feel sorry for them and the whole sequence just kind of feels like padding.

Yeah, I did the one aether-current quest at the top of the ramp to Trivium because it was a "save my son who wandered off" quest and I needed -one thing- to go my way after all the everything in Garlemald, and it wound up being an annoying-as-hell stealth quest.

gently caress that kid.

and then I had a nice dinner with Y'shtola and nothing else bad happened at all

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

VanillaGorilla posted:

I found it well presented myself, the military are largely ingrained in the bullshit, with the worst of it the higher up you got. But the civilians, the people we're actually here to help, they're scared and hurt and hungry and cold and their nation is collapsing around them. Of course charity seems impossible to them, and yet still you push through and help those who need it most.

Also the lovely imperial general who can't even consider the option blows his brains out.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Just hit Thavnair. Thoughts so far:

https://twitter.com/ZaggitzSA/status/1467173001112297477?t=9JIY01lBvhZA4322hYW8qA&s=19

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
drat Garlemald is hitting hard. Somewhat major spoilers ahead, but I thought this scene was really moving.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lord_Magmar posted:

I found it well presented myself, the military are largely ingrained in the bullshit, with the worst of it the higher up you got. But the civilians, the people we're actually here to help, they're scared and hurt and hungry and cold and their nation is collapsing around them. Of course charity seems impossible to them, and yet still you push through and help those who need it most.

Also the lovely imperial general who can't even consider the option blows his brains out.

yea Garlemald seems like it's handled well, it's basically the 'propaganda's a hell of a drug' arc, we see how ingrained everything is in even the more liberal sorts, but we also see that they're not robots, they understand poo poo's bad but they're hurt and scared and clinging to the last bit of their home they have, even if that bit is just the vague sense of superiority drilled into them since birth.

The true unrepentant/completely consumed in propaganda sort is the general who, yea, literally can't even fathom 'maybe it's time to reach a hand out instead of a fist for once' and just blows his stupid brains out and is met with a hearty 'welp...sucks to suck I guess' by his own people for it.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

really like the boys club thancred urianger and estinien.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

post 1st trial stuff It's kinda jarring but also really funny that within 15 minutes of being told the Final Days are happening and everyone on Earth Etheirys is presumably dealing with that poo poo, I'm off on the moon hanging out with a magic golden retriever and tasting the wacky flavored carrots of space bunnies.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Ojetor posted:

post 1st trial stuff
:words:

I think it's done deliberately, to give you a chance to catch your breath.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Is this the first time they've had (level 84ish MSQ in Sharlayan) branching cutscenes? Of course I immediately had to go back to the book and replay to see all the variations you get from different people visiting your room. They're all very good. Graha's is as close to romantic as they can possibly get without him literally confessing his love. No doubt in my mind they really want to encourage that ship. Also a rare Estinien in casual clothing sighting :eyepop:

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Ojetor posted:

Is this the first time they've had (level 84ish MSQ in Sharlayan) branching cutscenes? Of course I immediately had to go back to the book and replay to see all the variations you get from different people visiting your room. They're all very good. Graha's is as close to romantic as they can possibly get without him literally confessing his love. No doubt in my mind they really want to encourage that ship. Also a rare Estinien in casual clothing sighting :eyepop:

They had the one in 5.3 where you could choose which role quest giver you could hang with.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Ojetor posted:

On a similar note (end of the 81 branch Sharlayan) the entire cutscene with the twin's mom is so incredibly loaded for a specific form of fanfiction.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Lord_Magmar posted:

On a similar note (end of the 81 branch Sharlayan) the entire cutscene with the twin's mom is so incredibly loaded for a specific form of fanfiction.

Alphinaud, is your mom lonely? Her husbands always away focused on work, you're always in other countries. That house is awful big for one lonely woman, Alphinaud.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Post 83 dungeon spoilers:

I gotta say, I expected at least a little build-up to going to the moon. Some sort of quest to find a way to get there. The fact that we kinda just get teleported there 2 minutes after Zenos and Fandaniel do felt... anticlimactic.

I'm not sure how to describe it but the story feels simultaneously really slow-paced and rushed. It's like it takes a really long time with some thing and then blazes past moments that feel like they should be huge. But I'm not even halfway through yet so we'll see how it shakes out, I guess.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

Post 1st Trial comments:

Alright so THE big bad is dead, the Final Days are coming yada yada but who cares I get to ride a flying space dog to the moonship piloted by the most adorable little rabbits. Seriously the Loporrits are entirely too cute.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's possible I'm being overly negative but I do have a question (1st trial spoilers):

Zenos just broke one of the brands binding Zodiark with a swing of his scythe. If he can do that, and he and Fandaniel could've teleported to the moon at any time, what was the point of that whole plot with Anima? Just hop up there and break the brands yourself.

This plot feels... sloppier than usual. It feels like all the human-scale stuff is really, really great. Garlemald and Thavnair were both great stories. But it feels like all the big plot stuff is being rushed through with little setup or time to breathe, just rushing to the next big moment. It's very weird.

Maybe I'll swallow my words later on but I dunno right now.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It should've been a mandatory quest requirement to apply a glamour of the coat Tataru makes for you before heading to Garlemald.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Harrow posted:

It's possible I'm being overly negative but I do have a question (1st trial spoilers):

Zenos just broke one of the brands binding Zodiark with a swing of his scythe. If he can do that, and he and Fandaniel could've teleported to the moon at any time, what was the point of that whole plot with Anima? Just hop up there and break the brands yourself.

This plot feels... sloppier than usual. It feels like all the human-scale stuff is really, really great. Garlemald and Thavnair were both great stories. But it feels like all the big plot stuff is being rushed through with little setup or time to breathe, just rushing to the next big moment. It's very weird.

the watcher dude made a point of being able to repair the brands, and there were other defenses in place as well. Presumably just breaking one or two brands real quick like that was far from impossible, but doing all six without them just being repaired and them possibly being mulched for their troubles was a different story entirely. Likely also the enormous massive fuckoff blast of aether crippled their ability to mount a successful defense.

with regards to pacing around and following the first trail I kind of agree on a emotional level, but really Shadowbringers was the exploration of how we got to this point, and the nature of Zodiark and Hydaelyn both. Given that Zodiark was only halfway complete, and performing six more rejoinings would both cut off future expansion opportunities and would similarly require either a massive amount of time or feel super rushed, there was no real other way this could end.

We were always going to fight a basically lobotimzed Zodiark, and the end of days was always going to happen as a result of that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Meeko posted:

with regards to pacing around and following the first trail I kind of agree on a emotional level, but really Shadowbringers was the exploration of how we got to this point, and the nature of Zodiark and Hydaelyn both. Given that Zodiark was only halfway complete, and performing six more rejoinings would both cut off future expansion opportunities and would similarly require either a massive amount of time or feel super rushed, there was no real other way this could end.

We were always going to fight a basically lobotimzed Zodiark, and the end of days was always going to happen as a result of that.

I think the way I feel is like... the plot makes perfect sense, absolutely. If you showed me an outline I would love the idea of it: that Fandaniel awakens Zodiark early so that we're forced kill him and usher in the Final Days. It's a really cool plan. It just feels a bit like we rushed to this point--especially from the end of Tower of Babil up to fighting Zodiark feels really rushed. Maybe I'd feel differently if there was a questline to get to the moon in the first place or something, though I dunno maybe that would've felt tedious and the stuff after this point really needs the breathing room.

But maybe what follows will make it feel more earned in retrospect.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Harrow posted:

I think the way I feel is like... the plot makes perfect sense, absolutely. If you showed me an outline I would love the idea of it: that Fandaniel awakens Zodiark early so that we're forced kill him and usher in the Final Days. It's a really cool plan. It just feels a bit like we rushed to this point--especially from the end of Tower of Babil up to fighting Zodiark feels really rushed. Maybe I'd feel differently if there was a questline to get to the moon in the first place or something, though I dunno maybe that would've felt tedious and the stuff after this point really needs the breathing room.

But maybe what follows will make it feel more earned in retrospect.

Yeah, I agree with you, but it seems they're more interested in handling the fallout afterwards so I'm waiting to see where they go with it.

Regarding garlemald I have to say, it really is a masterful use of meta narrative. they spend an entire two zones/early questlines building you up to the idea that this is business as usual. the twins have a hopeful narrative speech, as the big attack is called off and it looks like, at least, you're getting a single W in the zone with no strings attached now that they've made you feel bad about everyting else.

The old general calmly and purposefully loads his gun. Cut to the twins talking about hope. He's just going to stand down at the last moment, right? You know how this goes. You know the game's just faking you out.

Cut back to a blood splatter all over the garlean flag. No noise, no fanfare. Just the radio softly blaring the same propaganda song, a slow zoomout, and then the quest's over. And his men are left to pick up the pieces of the mess he left behind.

God. It is so good

Meeko fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 5, 2021

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Harrow posted:

The brands and binds were all severally weakened from the poo poo with Anima

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There's an amazing Statler and Waldorf moment at the very end, before the final battle.

The Wol summons Emet-selch and Hythlodaeus from the afterlife with his Azem crystal to have them use creation magic to make a path to the final boss.

Emet-selch immediately realizes he forgot the Azem crystal could do that while complaining about being forced to watch everything going on in the story and not getting any rest.

Hythlodaeus was also being forced to watch everything, but he's a huge theater geek and loved watching everything in the story while munching popcorn. He's happy to have a bit part in this gripping tale.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The brands and binds were all severally weakened from the poo poo with Anima

Hydaelyn would doubtlessly have intervened as well, but seems to have used much of her dwindling power to prevent the full collapse of the defenses. This sudden turn of events also rises a lot of questions regarding Her too. Is Her full power restored now that He is vanished? What is She going to do now that her literal only propose no longer exists? She was summoned to bind Him; to be a Primal of stasis. Not to thwart the Final Days. How much can She help us? Will She?

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

Everything dealing with [4th zone spoilers] the moon has been nutballs in the greatest way.

A few screengrabs I took.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I am covering my eyes as hard as eye can, but this needs to be put on record...but I'd eat my hat if Ishikawa doesn't know about The World of Synnibar

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pobrecito posted:

Everything dealing with [4th zone spoilers] the moon has been nutballs in the greatest way.

A few screengrabs I took.

4th zone spoilers
I loving love how the Loporrits idea of fashion for thancred was adding white leopard fur cuffs and collar to an red modified amaurotine robe. He looks like santa pimp.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

Pharohman777 posted:

4th zone spoilers
I loving love how the Loporrits idea of fashion for thancred was adding white leopard fur cuffs and collar to an red modified amaurotine robe. He looks like santa pimp.

They're just trying their best and I love them for it.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Harrow posted:

Post 83 dungeon spoilers:

I gotta say, I expected at least a little build-up to going to the moon. Some sort of quest to find a way to get there. The fact that we kinda just get teleported there 2 minutes after Zenos and Fandaniel do felt... anticlimactic.

I'm not sure how to describe it but the story feels simultaneously really slow-paced and rushed. It's like it takes a really long time with some thing and then blazes past moments that feel like they should be huge. But I'm not even halfway through yet so we'll see how it shakes out, I guess.

I thought it made perfect sense with what was happening in the story, and it was also just a really nice change of pace after Garlemald and its endless quests.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Not reading anything and this is more of a marker for myself to come back for later but good on them to correctly identify that one plot point within the Coils was one of the most messed up things that someone has done in the game so they built a whole patch series and expansion around it lol

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I just wanna pet that dog.

Also the most beautiful line in existence.

Ride the lustrous dog.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Has anyone found where the Role Quests start? I'm already at the Moon and the fact that I haven't seen them seems pretty weird. They were confirmed to be returning, right?

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Infinity Gaia posted:

Has anyone found where the Role Quests start? I'm already at the Moon and the fact that I haven't seen them seems pretty weird. They were confirmed to be returning, right?

They start at level 85 in Radz-at-han after it is fully unlocked from what I've heard. Moon quests are 82-83 so I think it'll be awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

In From the Cold rapidly ping ponged from 'this is the best quest ever' to 'this is the worst quest ever' and back a couple of times, it is quite impressive.