Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Coast to Coast has been around for decades and as far as I know stays relatively politically neutral. (Because both parties are really interstellar subterranean lizard people body double mind cloned spirit invaders.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, I've been commuting really early in the morning lately and stumbled upon something called "Coast to Coast AM. It's...uh...really something.

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/guest/bean-bill/22520

Not even sure if it's "right wing" or not but it's on the same channel that plays Rush and Sean and those guys. It had aliens, demons, exorcisms, ghosts and a whole bunch of weird callers.

C2C is perfect late night listening. Will it be ghosts? Ancient religions? Forest monsters? Always a treat.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

BiggerBoat posted:

So, um, I engaged with a conservative friend of mine on FB regarding a post I made about how wages do not keep up with growth, etc, etc. Casually mentioned that the U.S. used to be opposed to WALLS and quoted Reagan. I got more than a few RWM talking points about people wanting "free stuff" and rebutted that. The wall wasn't even central to my point.

I got a post back that the Berlin Wall was designed to keep people IN and not OUT and received a suggestion to "learn my history" and I just...died inside.

As if the wall isn't designed to keep Mexican and Central American people IN their respective countries. How in the gently caress am I supposed to engage with this?

The RWM brainwashing and the Fox News was strong with this one. She was my mother's childhood friend and we get along. This woman was a hippy dope smoking biker chick liberal when she baby sat me as a kid and, OK, we're not FRIENDS but I mean....WTF? She said "people want free stuff" and not much else, accused me of "putting words in her mouth" when I tried to ascertain her intent by asking her if she thought Americans were lazy and then said "I'm not a racist homophobe deplorable" when I never TOUCHED on race, sex or Hillary. Like at ALL. My whole post was about wage growth and the lack thereof relating to American productivity, which is fair and a fact.

I don't think I even mentioned Trump.

*checks*

I did not.

It was like a RWM Alexa was spewing words at me and immediately attempting to deflect and project. So I put words in her mouth but somehow a defensive "racist homophobe" got put in there. It's really loving strange and scary. I started this thread a LONG time ago and suggested that this poo poo permeates more than you'd think. It's like arguing with a Conservabot 3000 sometimes. This poo poo WORKS.

"The Berlin Wall was built to keep people IN, not OUT. Learn your history" is supposed to be something I can seriously engage with?

Sorry for the rant and maybe this would be better suited to another thread but the whole "Your'e putting words in my mouth/I'm not a racist homophobe" thing just stopped me in my tracks. What are we even discussing?

On majority report a couple days ago they had an interview with someone that wrote a book about the rise of rightwing media in the late eighties and early nineties. Basically what was said was that the whole paradigm changed when they removed the fairness doctrine because it allowed radio shows and tv shows to do conservative programming all day. before most people would change stations or just listen when the opposition parties info was being read but now they can just listen all day. Now the echo chamber is complete. Because these folks never have to be bothered with reality they will believe the propaganda talking points like its gospel because they literally havent heard otherwise. I call it the fox news mentality. Once someone has it they are going to need to be deprogrammed like they were in a cult.

It feels like the person you were talking to is at that point.

found the episode of majority report: https://majorityreportradio.com/201...brian-rosenwald

ManBoyChef fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 26, 2019

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bird food bathtub posted:

Coast to Coast has been around for decades and as far as I know stays relatively politically neutral. (Because both parties are really interstellar subterranean lizard people body double mind cloned spirit invaders.)

Back when Art Bell was alive and hosting, he would get political at times but was smart enough to not go beyond moderate Republican. George Noory goes into boomer Facebook stuff every now and then, vaccines and stuff like that, but that's because that's the big thing now with whoever is listening to the radio at that time, probably crazy old people. Noory is pretty terrible though so I imagine the listening numbers are way down, even considering the death throes of terrestrial talk radio.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Coast to Coast has always had a right wing slant, and there's a better than 50/50 chance now that any given night will be talking about Deep State Conspiracies Spearheaded By Democrats Attempting To Malign Trump Our Savior Reborn.

Weirdly they didn't have a lot of episodes like that when Obama was president.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Conspiracy theories are necessarily reactionary. They began as a tool to oppress minorities (blood libel is a good example) and then you have them proliferating in various secret societies as part of their mystery until secret societies fused with ethnonationalism in the 19th Century. This gets turbocharged when the John Birch Society starts taking advantage of modern media to proliferate crazy conspiracy theories. Other groups have continued to hone that template to create a morass of rightwing conspiracies. Even nominally leftwing conspiracy theories like 9/11 Truth are rooted in some insanely reactionary ideas and they bubble to the surface as soon as you scratch it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's also a psychological element of ownership to conspiracy theory. Often people can't reconcile something as shocking as the JFK assassination - the idea that a loner malcontent can usurp the order of a superpower is literally unthinkable, so they rationalize it however they can.

The idea is that yeah, "they" may have killed JFK ...but they couldn't fool me. And now with the internet, it's easier than ever for these people to find one another.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

is that not Art Belle's old spot? i was a little too young to get hip to his AM show, mostly listened to his digital stuff/youtube collections

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Back when Art Bell was alive and hosting, he would get political at times but was smart enough to not go beyond moderate Republican. George Noory goes into boomer Facebook stuff every now and then, vaccines and stuff like that, but that's because that's the big thing now with whoever is listening to the radio at that time, probably crazy old people. Noory is pretty terrible though so I imagine the listening numbers are way down, even considering the death throes of terrestrial talk radio.

yea Noory sucks rear end, even when not being a boomer rear end in a top hat he's just really boring and tries too hard to make himself interesting or whatever, Bell had it nailed with just simple 'say what you want, I'm not gonna cut you off unless you go on some weird nazi rant'

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Decided to check on how some right wing personalities are handling the news, and boy howdy did this one stand out.

https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/1177027675317141505

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shbobdb posted:

Conspiracy theories are necessarily reactionary. They began as a tool to oppress minorities (blood libel is a good example) and then you have them proliferating in various secret societies as part of their mystery until secret societies fused with ethnonationalism in the 19th Century. This gets turbocharged when the John Birch Society starts taking advantage of modern media to proliferate crazy conspiracy theories. Other groups have continued to hone that template to create a morass of rightwing conspiracies. Even nominally leftwing conspiracy theories like 9/11 Truth are rooted in some insanely reactionary ideas and they bubble to the surface as soon as you scratch it.

UFO culture too has its roots in the theosophical writings of William Dudley Pelley, a prominent fascist, who was barred from taking part in politics as part of his parole following WWII. He just went back to writing about the hidden masters of the world and latched on to the popular zeitgeist by adding in their agents, Aryan aliens traveling in flying saucers.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Bell would occasionally call crazy poo poo a guest or caller said crazy. Noory nods along and indulges every batshit thing.

Noory does have excellent music taste, though.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, I've been commuting really early in the morning lately and stumbled upon something called "Coast to Coast AM. It's...uh...really something.

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/guest/bean-bill/22520

Not even sure if it's "right wing" or not but it's on the same channel that plays Rush and Sean and those guys. It had aliens, demons, exorcisms, ghosts and a whole bunch of weird callers.

George Noory took the show in an insane rightward direction after Obama was elected. There are still good paranormal episodes maybe 1 a week or 2 weeks. Go look up art bell coast to coast because that little sex tourist freak had some entertaining conspiracy and paranormal episodes. It is being rereleased for free as a podcast.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

UFO culture too has its roots in the theosophical writings of William Dudley Pelley, a prominent fascist, who was barred from taking part in politics as part of his parole following WWII. He just went back to writing about the hidden masters of the world and latched on to the popular zeitgeist by adding in their agents, Aryan aliens traveling in flying saucers.

Yup. UFOs are just a new coat of paint over ideas developed by earlier nut jobs. Since we're smarter and more enlightened now we are less likely to believe in fairies and spirits so we call them aliens.

It's pretty hosed up to think that a lot of the evils committed by modern secret societies is because some 19th Century blue-blooded psychopath was all like, "Wouldn't it be funny if tortured people like the Phoenicians?" and then because of the way mystery cults work, in less than a generation is just becomes part of the standard ritual.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Mr Hootington posted:

George Noory took the show in an insane rightward direction after Obama was elected. There are still good paranormal episodes maybe 1 a week or 2 weeks. Go look up art bell coast to coast because that little sex tourist freak had some entertaining conspiracy and paranormal episodes. It is being rereleased for free as a podcast.

I built a song around a bunch of clips from one of the paranormal episodes that I picked up over shortwave while camping. There's some delightfully bonkers poo poo you can find on the airwaves if you've got some distance between you and anything electronic. A lot of it was sports arguments, but the conspiracy and religious stations were highly entertaining. (Also fun when you have a recording studio down the block from a religious broadcaster whose antenna is turned up too hot, and you can faintly hear Jesus talk coming out of your guitar amps when you're not playing...)

The first time I ever heard of Coast to Coast AM, it was 2001 and I was working for a state government finance department. One of the more dapper gentlemen in the highest ranks, who was about my dad's age, asked if I could help him with a home computer issue. Turns out his issue was not having the right version of RealPlayer to stream Art Bell. It was kind of adorable, and I'm glad I was able to help.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Dammerung posted:

Ah, okay, my apologies. It seemed a little strange, because I don't disagree with you and didn't think there was anything in my post which indicated that. In this case, it'd be less of a question to ask them to answer in good faith, and more a good way for you/those who are uncertain to know what was going on.

There's something to be said here about the value of a singular soundbite/excuse when it comes to cultivating these types of hateful thought patterns. All it needs (in some cases) is to be presented in a relatively entertaining way, or in a manner that seems plausible on its face, and there you go.

Yeah but...a lot of folks say you need to engage with them logically, argue in good faith and talk about things that they care about. So, OK. How do you DO THAT when you specifically bring up income inequality (and nothing else), with links directly from the department of labor and they immediately start screeching about not being a "racist homosphobe depolorable and how people want free poo poo"?

WTF are we even talking about?

That's like me bringing up the score of a baseball game and the propensity of home runs and strikeouts then being met with how climate change is a hoax or something. In the very same paragraph of this person's reply, I got accused of putting words in her mouth. I could excuse a meme, a soundbite or a Breitbart link if it was even remotely related to the discussion. I can't even come up with an appropriate analogy it's so weird.

"Hey, something awful dot com, I read where private prisons lead to some disproportionate incarceration rates for poor people and minorities and that the death penalty has led to the execution of hundreds of innocent people. DNA studies prove this."

*Posts links from articles that seems credible*

"WHY DO YOU HATE THE TROOPS AND WANT TO BURN A FLAG? We should stand for the national anthem!!"

...huh?

Some dude I work with said yesterday "how can they be called the New England Patriots when they're taking a knee?"*

I laughed, thinking it was a joke about running out the clock late in a game but...I guess some Patriot player kneeled for real during the sacred playing of the star spangled banner where we all worship god by removing our hats. I even asked him if he made up that joke himself because I thought it was pretty good and then realized he was totally serious. I assume he is fine with the NFL team currently known as the Washington Redskins.

*For those that don't follow football, "taking a knee" or "kneeling" to run out the clock is a common practice of teams who are far, far ahead in a football game and only need to run out the clock to secure victory. The Patriots are the best team in football and do this a lot.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

ManBoyChef posted:

On majority report a couple days ago they had an interview with someone that wrote a book about the rise of rightwing media in the late eighties and early nineties. Basically what was said was that the whole paradigm changed when they removed the fairness doctrine because it allowed radio shows and tv shows to do conservative programming all day. before most people would change stations or just listen when the opposition parties info was being read but now they can just listen all day. Now the echo chamber is complete. Because these folks never have to be bothered with reality they will believe the propaganda talking points like its gospel because they literally havent heard otherwise. I call it the fox news mentality. Once someone has it they are going to need to be deprogrammed like they were in a cult.

It feels like the person you were talking to is at that point.

found the episode of majority report: https://majorityreportradio.com/201...brian-rosenwald

Thanks for the link. I enjoy stuff like this, such as it is anyway.

Trouble is, if "feels" like a LOT OF PEOPLE I talk to. It's not an isolated incident or some random contamination of my FB feed. Sorry for the double post but this poo poo is grinding my gears again catching occasional ear fulls of RWM and coworker chat in the wake of an easily provable crime the President has admitted to and polls showing that the country is split 50/50 on impeachment. Jesus Christ. If this were Obama or Hillary they'd have been burned at the stake by now and the god damned radio would never shut up about it.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I wish I could even be surprised by the repeated use of the term "transcript" to refer to a document that explicitly stated that it is not a transcript. I know it is intentional, but it's so banal.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah but...a lot of folks say you need to engage with them logically, argue in good faith and talk about things that they care about. So, OK. How do you DO THAT when you specifically bring up income inequality (and nothing else), with links directly from the department of labor and they immediately start screeching about not being a "racist homosphobe depolorable and how people want free poo poo"?

A lot of it is about tribal identity. Goons are notoriously terrible at crossing that boundary.

The trick is not to see it as a boundary. A good Communist has many of the same complaints about the current Capitalist system as Fascists (which covers Republicans and most Democrats). The trick is to find pain points we share in common and pick at those to bring them around to your way of thinking. Bernie does a great job at this (see his Fox News townhall).

The Democratic party has weaponized cosmopolitan issues just like how the Republicans weaponized suburban and rural issues. Woke folks and Wall Street agree that gay is great and get a sex change if you want it. But you'll note in the phrasing that the woke folks have already surrendered to Wall Street since they are phrasing things in terms of individual choice. The argument against using the Master's tools often gets misused (to the point of justifying inaction) but when it comes to language, it is 100% spot-loving-on.

It's also why Yang is polling incredibly high for a nobody protest candidate (especially as compared to the field of has-beens and never-wases backed by the Elites). He's actually offering something. The one good thing Bill Clinton said was, "It's the economy stupid." More importantly, it's about what candidates can do for you. If all politicians are corrupt fuckers but one of those fuckers also wants your son to wear a dress while loving a dude in a church and the others are just corrupt people being corrupt while mostly staying out of your way, well, you'll opt for non-intervention. But, if politicians can actually offer you something, well, that's powerful.

Your average racist homophone deplorable isn't so financially secure that they are free of worry. Pick at those worries. Realistically they won't ever vote D but you can effectively demoralize them. Encouraging potential Dem voters to vote is critical. But we also have to work on depressing the Repub vote. Youth and minorities get their votes suppressed by Republican efforts all the time. "Keeping up with the Joneses" suburbanites have perceived economic insecurity (hence the 'keeping up' part). They are a swing demographic but the people pulling the R lever do so because of religion, racism and the apathy of elites. "It's the economy stupid" non-apathetic elites, people offering programs that could help them, are enough to make them sit out the election. They hate gays, blacks and mexicans. But they also hate their economic insecurity.

Pick at that insecurity so they sit home at home on election day. If a politician actually demonstrates (or at least gives credible hope) that they can help them (why Bernie must win) it's gonna be a whole new generation of FDR democrats in subsequent elections.

As yourself two questions, "What benefits them?" and "How are they being left behind by the Republicans?" triangulate with those. I've seen Republican-leaning Union men transition from dropping F-bombs (of the gay variety) to supporting "trainees" at their shop and facilitating education but it's also been a big recruiting push. Being an effete coastal, I was a little shocked, but "trainee" was chosen because it was a good bridge word. Paraphrasing his description, "They use the right bathroom because they have always been men (he really emphasizes this point because people don't always get it). But they are new to that space and they gotta sit. We've all been trainees before, learning something new. Nothing wrong with being a trainee." Given his clumsy views, dude should be on the opposite side (and that clumsy view is soooooo much better than what he felt about other groups as recently as five years ago) but he's all-in Dem (doesn't care which).

He educated himself because that is where his bread is buttered. Imperfect education, he's got a lot of growth edges. Plant seeds for growth edges. But those common pain points? Leverage those hard.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

The trick is to find pain points we share in common and pick at those to bring them around to your way of thinking.

Your average racist homophone deplorable isn't so financially secure that they are free of worry. Pick at those worries.

As yourself two questions, "What benefits them?" and "How are they being left behind by the Republicans?" triangulate with those.

That's exactly what I did.

I spoke directly to economic issues that 95% of us share and received "but people want free poo poo" and "why are you implying I'm a racist homophobe?" in return. When I backed up and reiterated my original post (The Booming Economy is Not Booming for Most People), I got silence.

I'll move on from it since this isn't the post your crazy FB poo poo thread

PJOmega posted:

I wish I could even be surprised by the repeated use of the term "transcript" to refer to a document that explicitly stated that it is not a transcript. I know it is intentional, but it's so banal.

See also: The Redacted Mueller Report that Completely Exonerates the President.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It's amazing how some people keep forgetting that racism and other bigotry is real, and still think there's a Konami code of economics to toss at people to make them suddenly stop being Republicans.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

fishmech posted:

It's amazing how some people keep forgetting that racism and other bigotry is real, and still think there's a Konami code of economics to toss at people to make them suddenly stop being Republicans.

Up Down Left Right UBI Start

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

fishmech posted:

Racism and bigotry are real, but you're forgetting how powerful a force economics can be. Democrats kept a pretty decent hold on a group on union/labor Democrats even through more public support for civil rights. They only succumbed to Republican racism in '80 and '84 when it became clear Democrats were no longer really interested in fighting for their interests. Clinton's Third Wayism put the final nail in the coffin, but Obama was able to claw some smaller number of them back through his healthcare policies and promising card check.

So if a bunch of racists can support Jimmy Carter in '76 it seems possible that, with a good set of economic policies that address the fears Trump ran on, that racists and homophobes could be flipped to vote for a Democrat in 2020. I will, admit, though, that is completely unnecessary. Democrats could lose every voter that voted for Trump in 2016, and still win by improving turnout through better policy and not running a candidate with historic unfavorability.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 27, 2019

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ErIog posted:

Racism and bigotry are real, but you're forgetting how powerful a force economics can be.

I'm not. You simply refuse to understand that the guy burning crosses on the street doesn't give a hot gently caress about your economics spiel.

ErIog posted:

So if a bunch of racists can support Jimmy Carter in '76 it seems possible that, with a good set of economic policies that address the fears Trump ran on, that racists and homophobes could be flipped to vote for a Democrat in 2020. I will, admit, though, that is completely unnecessary. Democrats could lose every voter that voted for Trump in 2016, and still win by improving turnout through better policy and not running a candidate with historic unfavorability.

Jimmy Carter won in 1976 primarily because he was up against Nixon's loving lackey-boy who had none of Nixon's initial charisma. Did you really forget that? And he didn't even do particularly great.

You will not form the red-brown coalition you desire.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Part of the issue is that while many "economically vulnerable" voters are probably for many of the programs a social democrat might propose they would still balk at the thought of people who are "others" benefiting from them.

[edit] That said I think going after a good chunk of people who pulled the R lever last election is viable. It's a spectrum which runs from cross burners to "I voted for them because I thought they'd run the economy in a way that would maintain jobs for me and my family" (despite Rs in fact loving them over).

Munin fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 27, 2019

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Munin posted:

Part of the issue is that while many "economically vulnerable" voters are probably for many of the programs a social democrat might propose they would still balk at the thought of people who are "others" benefiting from them.

[edit] That said I think going after a good chunk of people who pulled the R lever last election is viable. It's a spectrum which runs from cross burners to "I voted for them because I thought they'd run the economy in a way that would maintain jobs for me and my family" (despite Rs in fact loving them over).

How much "economic anxiety" leeway do they really get in the face of daily white supremacist talking points, Muslim bans, literal god drat Nazis in the street, child concentration camps on the border and so on and so on?

At some point the "economic anxiety" argument has to give way to the reality that the people left who are supporting all that poo poo either do it because they like it or they don't feel targeted by it and are just fine with it happening to other people. There's a line where you are either an active supporter or a passive enabler and can no longer claim ignorance.

I'm pretty comfortable with saying we've crossed it, and so gently caress them. All of them. gently caress them. I don't want any more pandering to these lovely people, because gently caress them. Yeah, sure, if good policy helps them and improves society that's great, let's do that, but gently caress them. Stop talking to them, stop arguing with them, stop giving them the time of day and letting their points of view even exist in civilized society. They've lost that. If some few manage to break out of it and want to accept what horrible poo poo they've supported they can work towards forgiveness I suppose, but that's a really edge case I'm not seeing in any large numbers.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

How much "economic anxiety" leeway do they really get in the face of daily white supremacist talking points, Muslim bans, literal god drat Nazis in the street, child concentration camps on the border and so on and so on?

At some point the "economic anxiety" argument has to give way to the reality that the people left who are supporting all that poo poo either do it because they like it or they don't feel targeted by it and are just fine with it happening to other people. There's a line where you are either an active supporter or a passive enabler and can no longer claim ignorance.

I'm pretty comfortable with saying we've crossed it, and so gently caress them. All of them. gently caress them. I don't want any more pandering to these lovely people, because gently caress them. Yeah, sure, if good policy helps them and improves society that's great, let's do that, but gently caress them. Stop talking to them, stop arguing with them, stop giving them the time of day and letting their points of view even exist in civilized society. They've lost that. If some few manage to break out of it and want to accept what horrible poo poo they've supported they can work towards forgiveness I suppose, but that's a really edge case I'm not seeing in any large numbers.

It shouldn't be pandering to them. The simple fact remains that the Republican's policies are harmful to the vast majority of them and to the US as a whole. It is not pandering to see how many of them can be shown that this is the case.

Pandering is telling them what they want to hear. We should be trying to get them to hear what they need to hear.

And heck, more and more "independents" have turned democrat leaning. In general many of the messages are starting to get through. Of course, a handful of possible exceptions aside, that won't change the mind of people chanting at Trump rallies but that is not the people you are most trying to reach.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Nobody's saying Dems need to court nazis, neo-nazis, or proud boys. We're just saying that good economic policy could help draw some fraction of Trump voters away from him. Yeah, you're not going to get the rabid racists or the pro-life people. You're never going to be able to change the extremists, and that's not the point. The point is to whittle away maybe 5-10% of the people who elected Trump in 2016 who aren't so die-hard. We know from the data that there were a small, but significant number, of Obama-Trump voters. Those people are gettable with good economic policy and are probably not nazis.

Then also, if you have economic policies that offer something tangible to people like healthcare, you'll also find that turn-out is probably better as well since people feel like their lives may be impacted positively by their vote.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 27, 2019

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

fishmech posted:

I'm not. You simply refuse to understand that the guy burning crosses on the street doesn't give a hot gently caress about your economics spiel.

You don't need that guy to vote for you.

You just need to turn out a few of the millions and millions of people who have lost hope and checked out, who don't have time to engage in a civic ritual that has no perceptible effect on their lives, or who aren't racist enough to burn crosses themselves but who are racist enough to not care if the cross burners win an election if there isn't anything in it for them.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ErIog posted:

Nobody's saying Dems need to court nazis, neo-nazis, or proud boys.

Yes you are, you're saying economic policy is going to convince Republicans. Guess who Republicans are?

VitalSigns posted:

You don't need that guy to vote for you.

You just need to turn out a few of the millions and millions of people who have lost hope and checked out, who don't have time to engage in a civic ritual that has no perceptible effect on their lives, or who aren't racist enough to burn crosses themselves but who are racist enough to not care if the cross burners win an election if there isn't anything in it for them.

Hate to break it to you, but depressive Twitter posters and apathetic Nazis are not in fact a major electoral demographic who will be convinced by you yelling economics factoids at them.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

fishmech posted:

Yes you are, you're saying economic policy is going to convince Republicans. Guess who Republicans are?

So your point is all the people who voted for Obama and then turned around and voted for Trump are actually nazis?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

fishmech posted:

Hate to break it to you, but depressive Twitter posters and apathetic Nazis are not in fact a major electoral demographic who will be convinced by you yelling economics factoids at them.

lol

That is a position firmly against a lot of objective evidence.

Do you think that "Republicans" are one monolithic block of deplorables who would just as soon string up a person of color as give them a dime? Do you really think that 40%+ of the electorate are straight up unreformable Nazis? People for who there is no change, no redemption? Souls only fit to be cast into the pits of hell forever tarnished by the sin of having ticked R on a ballot?

People who have straight up murdered people are capable of reform but Republican voters in 2016? Never!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ErIog posted:

So your point is all the people who voted for Obama and then turned around and voted for Trump are actually nazis?

Yes if you voted for Trump you voted for Nazism. Did you miss his entire campaign, or do you merely agree with most of his platform?

Munin posted:

Do you think that "Republicans" are one monolithic block of deplorables who would just as soon string up a person of color as give them a dime?

They all literally are, or they're people who are merely apathetic on the subject of black people getting strung up.

If you want to peddle some Joe Biden "I'm good friends with Republicans" nonsense, I question why you even want to have Trump out of power?

fishmech fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 27, 2019

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

fishmech posted:

Yes if you voted for Trump you voted for Nazism.

Many voters were so ill-informed that they thought he was more moderate than Hillary Clinton.

Political consciousness is in the absolute pits since all the majority of people are exposed to is 100% propaganda. Being exposed to that all the time breaks your brain. Another sad example of that are the people reviewing content for Facebook who are exposed to all the worst most horrid poo poo on the net, the most far out conspiracy poo poo etc and it breaks many in months.

fishmech posted:

If you want to peddle some Joe Biden "I'm good friends with Republicans" nonsense, I question why you even want to have Trump out of power?

Thinking that some people can be educated means I want Trump to remain in power? What kind of galaxy brain take is that?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Munin posted:

Many voters were so ill-informed that they thought he was more moderate than Hillary Clinton.

Political consciousness is in the absolute pits since all the majority of people are exposed to is 100% propaganda. Being exposed to that all the time breaks your brain. Another sad example of that are the people reviewing content for Facebook who are exposed to all the worst most horrid poo poo on the net, the most far out conspiracy poo poo etc and it breaks many in months.

Thinking that some people can be educated means I want Trump to remain in power? What kind of galaxy brain take is that?

What part of "build the wall" is moderate? What part is yelling about all the foreigners? Or you know, all the rest. Some can be bashed into being "moderate for a Republican" but those are topics where being such a thing is still incredibly evil - which just reiterates how the Republicans have been full on Nazis for an extended time period.

You basically don't want to admit that there's a good 45+ million Americans who saw what Trump were demanding and wanted huge chunks of that poo poo and were at best apathetic to the parts they didn't want so much.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 27, 2019

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

BiggerBoat posted:

Thanks for the link. I enjoy stuff like this, such as it is anyway.

Trouble is, if "feels" like a LOT OF PEOPLE I talk to. It's not an isolated incident or some random contamination of my FB feed. Sorry for the double post but this poo poo is grinding my gears again catching occasional ear fulls of RWM and coworker chat in the wake of an easily provable crime the President has admitted to and polls showing that the country is split 50/50 on impeachment. Jesus Christ. If this were Obama or Hillary they'd have been burned at the stake by now and the god damned radio would never shut up about it.

One of my friends is falling down a Jordan Peterson / IDW rabbit hole that's causing him to parrot a lot of INSANE right wing talking points, so I sympathize. For more context my friend has always hated right wingers, is an immigrant, and his grand parents survived an ethnic cleansing (I learned about the Armenian Genocide from his family when I was in my late teens), so the whole thing is a mindfuck to me. I won't get into much other than that but I think Erlog has some things right in that you have to find where there is overlap that's pulling them in and also that you have to plant seeds as best you can. Unfortunately I don't think it's a science, it's more of an art where there is no easy answer and the outcome may not be desirable.

To re-iterate though, I think your best bet is to try to commiserate with them on some issues that you both seem to find common ground on and go from there. I think it also does to know the level of frankness they can handle, I've talked a friend out of becoming a cop by starting off with, "Are you loving crazy? That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard!" etc

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

fishmech posted:

What part of "build the wall" is moderate? What part is yelling about all the foreigners? Or you know, all the rest. Some can be bashed into being "moderate for a Republican" but those are topics where being such a thing is still incredibly evil - which just reiterates how the Republicans have been full on Nazis for an extended time period.
He in no way was a moderate but bullshit US discourse, bullshit US media culture, etc all allowed these misperception to persist. Hillary Clinton being a political robot who was firmly part of the big donor, politics as usual, establishment also helped that for the small guy populist vs the establishment false narrative to persist.

We're not talking about reality here but about perception. And when it comes to false consciousness than few places have the US beat.

fishmech posted:

You basically don't want to admit that there's a good 45+ million Americans who saw what Trump were demanding and wanted huge chunks of that poo poo and were at best apathetic to the parts they didn't want so much.
45 million and change is probably a good number for the number of voters which you can write off for the foreseeable future. 65 million voted for the man though. That leaves ten million and change which could conceivably be re-educated or have been re-educated already.

And I repeat, are you saying that every single one of these voters is incapable of learning, growing, changing their mind?

A few decades ago there was a strong consensus across society that homosexuality should be illegal. Opinions have shifted and the idea that homosexuality is now legal is, while not utterly secure, taken as the norm. That is an impossibility should your view of the world be correct.

On the other hand neoliberal economics became the uncontested norm and permeates society. Change is impossible as people who think neoliberalism is normal can't change and hence won't change. A revolution in economic thinking is impossible (even though the ascent of neoliberal economics was a revolution at the time).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Munin posted:

He in no way was a moderate but bullshit US discourse, bullshit US media culture, etc all allowed these misperception to persist.

This didn't happen, it's a bizarre thing you've come up with after the fact.

Munin posted:

And when it comes to false consciousness than few places have the US beat.

Europe also has a ton of Nazi parties in power though.

Munin posted:

45 million and change is probably a good number for the number of voters which you can write off for the foreseeable future. 65 million voted for the man though. That leaves ten million and change which could conceivably be re-educated or have been re-educated already.

And I repeat, are you saying that every single one of these voters is incapable of learning, growing, changing their mind?
They've been very consistent in voting for terrible politicians for decades on end. You're not going to make the horse drink no matter how many times you lead it. Also you are confused because Hillary Clinton is the person who received 65 million votes that year.

Munin posted:

A few decades ago there was a strong consensus across society that homosexuality should be illegal. Opinions have shifted and the idea that homosexuality is now legal is, while not utterly secure, taken as the norm. That is an impossibility should your view of the world be correct.

On the other hand neoliberal economics became the uncontested norm and permeates society. Change is impossible as people who think neoliberalism is normal can't change and hence won't change. A revolution in economic thinking is impossible (even though the ascent of neoliberal economics was a revolution at the time).
Trump ran, among other things, on sticking it to those darn liberals which includes hurting gay people, and especially his running mate, a man who demands to be allowed to electrocute LGBT people did too. Together they've implemented massive regressions in LGBT rights. His fans cheer this, because they hate us. Is this so hard for you to comprehend, that the Republican party is about abusing the electoral systems to enforce the rule of a bigoted minority?

People like you hoot and holler about neoliberals while supporting other neoliberals as leftist heroes all the time, by the by.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Isn't there a more appropriate thread for 2016 election rehash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Flesh Forge posted:

Isn't there a more appropriate thread for 2016 election rehash

We will never stop rehashing the 2016 election.