Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It can't be any worse than it already is. :lol:

Hope no one was hurt at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

repiv posted:

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BLOWERS ARE TOO LOUD, I CAN BARELY HEAR THEM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvBeCSaaDxA

Just add Delta fans and your journey to deafness is complete.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

90s Solo Cup posted:

Just add Delta fans and your journey to deafness is complete.

it's a good thing the side fan is a noctua otherwise that rig would be unreasonably loud

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
The German Notebooks Billiger drop for the Founders Editions had 3060, 3060Ti, 3080Ti (!) and 3090 models available for as long as loving 15 minutes, so this was a huge drop and many were baffled how that stayed up so long.

I was told they dropped 3070 and 3080 FEs as well but these were instantly sniped.

Too soon to think it’s a sign.
But that was by far the longest selling window for the official Nvidia FE partner store in Germany since Ampere launched.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Lol Linus's WAN show ep tonight is titled "apologizing for my 3080 TI take" and the first thing I heard when I clicked on it was him saying to buy the card and scalp it if you can

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

lmaoooo what a bottom feeder

God he’s such a shill and rich for it

Pyre File
May 24, 2021

by Pragmatica
Anyone know a good source for Gigabyte R9 390 replacement fans? One of the fans in mine has started rattling, I'd really prefer to keep it from dying in the current market, and it's apparently impossible to properly filter for just the fans on retail websites.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Not to defend a YouTuber or anything, but there's lots of context missing from that obviously cherry-picked 2nd hand sound bite.

Edit: For example, he didn't, in fact, apologize for their review, heh.

mutata fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 5, 2021

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Mr.PayDay posted:

The German Notebooks Billiger drop for the Founders Editions had 3060, 3060Ti, 3080Ti (!) and 3090 models available for as long as loving 15 minutes, so this was a huge drop and many were baffled how that stayed up so long.

I was told they dropped 3070 and 3080 FEs as well but these were instantly sniped.

Too soon to think it’s a sign.
But that was by far the longest selling window for the official Nvidia FE partner store in Germany since Ampere launched.

how much did they cost though

Lurikeenrock
May 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pyre File posted:

Anyone know a good source for Gigabyte R9 390 replacement fans? One of the fans in mine has started rattling, I'd really prefer to keep it from dying in the current market, and it's apparently impossible to properly filter for just the fans on retail websites.

take the fan off and look for the model # on ali express

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Vintersorg posted:

lmaoooo what a bottom feeder

God he’s such a shill and rich for it

He knows who pays the bills.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've looked at about a dozen different 3080ti reviews in text form and on youtube, and literally the only fully negative one has been the Gamers Nexus review. Every single other review can be summed up with "performance better, card good." "Yeah, it's expensive, but did you see that the performance is [barely] better?" "A must buy if you can afford it." There's absolutely no consideration to historical norms and whether or not a 10% performance bump is actually worth caring about. Some reviewers like ArsTechnica don't even see an issue with the $1200 price and are only talking as if it's the aftermarket price that's the problem. VentureBeat had the balls to say in their review headline that the 3080ti was "significantly faster" than the 3080 while their own benchmarks only showed a marginal 10% improvement. Even when they are honest about the price and performance, they find ways to justify a high score anyway. The Verge admitted the cost is exorbitant for only an incremental upgrade but instead spent the review talking about how great the FE design is (note: it's identical to the regular 3080) and then giving it a 4/5. This is the world of hardware reviews now.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 5, 2021

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

VentureBeat had the balls to say in their review headline that the 3080ti was "significantly faster" than the 3080 while their own benchmarks only showed a marginal 10% improvement.

Perhaps they meant in the same way that VentureBeat's importance is "significant" :D

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The 3080 TI seems pretty bad when viewed from the 3080 looking up, but it seems pretty great when viewed from the 3090 looking down (which was the point of the LTT review).

TIs have kind of always been the premium tier cards. The REAL critique is that it shouldn't exist at all, of course. It's a nonsense card.

It's all moot though because no one can get it or any card at MSRP anyway.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

mutata posted:

The 3080 TI seems pretty bad when viewed from the 3080 looking up, but it seems pretty great when viewed from the 3090 looking down (which was the point of the LTT review).

TIs have kind of always been the premium tier cards. The REAL critique is that it shouldn't exist at all, of course. It's a nonsense card.

It's all moot though because no one can get it or any card at MSRP anyway.

When viewed from the 3090 looking down, it looks like poo poo because it lacks what largely made the 3090 appealing to people: memory.

And no, they have not always been premium tier cards on this level. Until the 20 series, they were far more affordable. The 1080ti had a 30% performance improvement at just a 15% higher cost, compared to the 3080ti's 10% improvement at a 70% higher cost. The Titan series was the "premium tier" card before.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ok.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

When viewed from the 3090 looking down, it looks like poo poo because it lacks what largely made the 3090 appealing to people: memory.

And no, they have not always been premium tier cards on this level. Until the 20 series, they were far more affordable. The 1080ti had a 30% performance improvement at just a 15% higher cost, compared to the 3080ti's 10% improvement at a 70% higher cost. The Titan series was the "premium tier" card before.

What if you vertically mount it though

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Shipon posted:

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

The 1080 Ti was an anomaly that will never happen again

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

jisforjosh posted:

The 1080 Ti was an anomaly that will never happen again

I would be sad but unsurprised if we never get such a good value again, true. But the previous Ti cards were at least in the same ballpark, usually just $100 more or so for a decent performance bump.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 5, 2021

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Paul MaudDib posted:

also it's been extremely amusing watching everyone realize it's pronounced tie and not tee aii

serious question: has anyone who didn't understand that actually watched an nvidia announcement in the last 5 years?

its T.I. sorry.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah, it's objectively "tee eye".

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

I would be sad but unsurprised if we never get such a good value again, true. But the previous Ti cards were at least in the same ballpark, usually just $100 more or so for a decent performance bump.

At its original MSRP of $700 the 3080 was pretty much the best deal you could ask for. Being able to run pretty much every game in 4k at 60 FPS with some hitting triple digits? Pretty great deal if only the supply actually existed at that price

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
thai. lmfao. dipping my graphics card in some peanut sauce or whatever. gently caress outa here

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

mutata posted:

Yeah, it's objectively "tee eye".

initialism vs acronym. very simple. fbi :: scuba

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'm trained on Ti being thai like titanium from bike parts back in the day before carbon

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

SQL is not sequel right smythe

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Where's our goddamn arr-tee-eks 3050, nvidia?!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

taqueso posted:

SQL is not sequel right smythe

thats right

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

high5

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Paul MaudDib posted:

the year is 2009... the near future. if you aren't mining on your palm pad you're leaving money on the table

I miss those funky ways you had to learn to make the letters on my old Palm Pilot. It was alchemy.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Just want to thank AMD for bringing DLSS to Linux. I don't mean their own implementation, I mean making Nvidia get off their rear end and remember Linux exists.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm still a little... can you be nostalgic for something that you never had? I kinda wish I was around and was building PCs in the days of SLI because HAVING TWO GRAPHICS CARDS AT THE SAME TIME YEAH!!! would have been cool as poo poo

My brother-in-law bought two 1080s about a week and a half after I paid like $250-$300 on my 970. I was both 1) jealous as hell, and 2) amazed by his technical prowess to get it working.

Doesn’t Alienware have some kind of external multi-graphic card peripheral for a buncho money (graphics cards not included)? I could have sworn I followed a link from my boy’s Instagram to it last year.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Kunabomber posted:

gently caress the queen, we speak the right way

Tell ol’ Charles to bugger off, guvnor!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The 3080 Ti is a fantastic toy, but the MSRP sucks. But guess what, MSRP is fuckin irrelevant at the moment so who cares. I know lots of people are mad about that situation, especially the reviewers who make money based on consumer interest in parts consumers aren't interested in at the moment because of availability, but it doesnt matter what they think. It does not matter if people are mad, the demand is still insane. And everyone knows that, hence them not clicking on reviewer vids. Sorry reviewer guys, do something else!

Cygni fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 5, 2021

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
If you're into gambling, apparently the EVGA Elite membership gets you a wheel spin for a random discount coupon up to 40% that works on the graphics cards but also is only good for 90 days, so the strategy is to get in the auto notify, then wait the 4-6 months for your notification, then apply for the elite membership before your purchase window expires. Nothing you can plan for but probably a good high if you pull it off ..

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Shipon posted:

Official FE MSRP (in german = UVP) prices, that’s why I was impressed. Either people did not expect a drop on day #2 back to back or they finally had a massive stock, for once.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

PageMaster posted:

If you're into gambling, apparently the EVGA Elite membership gets you a wheel spin for a random discount coupon up to 40% that works on the graphics cards but also is only good for 90 days, so the strategy is to get in the auto notify, then wait the 4-6 months for your notification, then apply for the elite membership before your purchase window expires. Nothing you can plan for but probably a good high if you pull it off ..

I worked it out in my head, lowest is 5% but even there as long as you either get at least a 80 or spend no more than 40 bucks on elite gear (better with a combination of the two) you should at least break even so it's pretty worth it if you're doing that anyway

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Paul MaudDib posted:

also it's been extremely amusing watching everyone realize it's pronounced tie and not tee aii

serious question: has anyone who didn't understand that actually watched an nvidia announcement in the last 5 years?

this comment didnt square up at all with the near universal confusion caused by the 3080 Thai, so i went back and checked:

1080ti: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9ZSnI9woWg&t=1036s
2080ti: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Rz3cpJfzE&t=6079s

i watched the 3 series keynote announcement live and i don't recall any mention of a Thai in it

so what the hell are you talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

(click 4 timestamp)