Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Shear Modulus posted:

EOL because they'll be making the next gen of cards or EOL because they're going to stop making the 3080 non-Ti and only sell the super expensive Ti version instead?
I think the latter seems extremely likely. AIB's have only been moving the more expensive premium versions of their models and the MSRP $699 models haven't budged or been sold since about the first batch. You can see with this EVGA's queuing list where only the premium models have budged at all and the base models haven't at all. I think Nvidia (and AIBs) realized that there's no point in selling a $699 card when you can just add slightly more vram and sell it for $1299, especially with limitations on manufacturing. There's not much need to stratify the line-up going from $100 to $1500 cards, especially since 3080 and TI are virtually the same card with only a few token changes, except just using the didn't-make-the-cut dies for a few slightly cheaper sku's to minimize waste. Nvidia rather underpriced the 3080 in anticipation of AMD having a killer-app and there's no reason for them to continue to really make it when for not really any more effort just slight tweaking allows them to sell a much more lucrative model at significantly more profit. Unless something vastly changes, I think the 3080 production is mostly done-for and seems to have been in the most recent lead-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurikeenrock
May 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The sad part is that AMD absolutely has/had a price competitive product in the 6800 and xt, but no stock.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Anyone seen movement on the 3080ti stepup

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

people itt have said maybe two or three days.

Do you mind sharing what card you put in for and when you signed up? Looking to see where they're in for the queue.

thanks for the responses. I entered the queue for 3080ti on the first day they were up on eVGA's site. That said, I was really lazy about it and it was probably noon on the day they listed them. i'm still cautiously optimistic until i have the new card in hand.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Yes I got to step 2

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

Anyone seen movement on the 3080ti stepup

yes. they've really "stepped up" the price if you ask me

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
If you got to step 2 then you pretty much will get the card and it's just a matter of a week or so of back and forth on the other steps.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I got Step 2 on the 3090 today also; now I'm in a quagmire, because I have a 40% off coupon for EVGA Elite, which stacks with the associate's code, and so it could be 43% or more off the 3080 Ti I signed up for. I'm at 7:53 am on Thursday, and they got to 7:34 today and probably will hit 7:40 soon, although I expect 7:40-7:50 to drag along.

The code is good through the end of July, so I'm not sure whether to just wait and see if I can get the 3080 Ti and pass on the 3090, get the 3090 and then ultimately get the 3080 Ti to sell to someone, or just go with the 3090. I don't think the Elite codes can be given to someone else, but it seems like a waste of a 40% code otherwise if I get the notification before it expires.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

SourKraut posted:

I got Step 2 on the 3090 today also; now I'm in a quagmire, because I have a 40% off coupon for EVGA Elite, which stacks with the associate's code, and so it could be 43% or more off the 3080 Ti I signed up for. I'm at 7:53 am on Thursday, and they got to 7:34 today and probably will hit 7:40 soon, although I expect 7:40-7:50 to drag along.

The code is good through the end of July, so I'm not sure whether to just wait and see if I can get the 3080 Ti and pass on the 3090, get the 3090 and then ultimately get the 3080 Ti to sell to someone, or just go with the 3090. I don't think the Elite codes can be given to someone else, but it seems like a waste of a 40% code otherwise if I get the notification before it expires.

They apparently don't let you use the coupons on step up orders.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it’s kind of darkly funny watching this thread both share the wider negative reaction to the 3080ti’s price and also have a sizeable contingent buying 3090s.

how bad will the 3070ti’s RRP be, I wonder?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Xaris posted:

I think the latter seems extremely likely. AIB's have only been moving the more expensive premium versions of their models and the MSRP $699 models haven't budged or been sold since about the first batch. You can see with this EVGA's queuing list where only the premium models have budged at all and the base models haven't at all. I think Nvidia (and AIBs) realized that there's no point in selling a $699 card when you can just add slightly more vram and sell it for $1299, especially with limitations on manufacturing. There's not much need to stratify the line-up going from $100 to $1500 cards, especially since 3080 and TI are virtually the same card with only a few token changes, except just using the didn't-make-the-cut dies for a few slightly cheaper sku's to minimize waste. Nvidia rather underpriced the 3080 in anticipation of AMD having a killer-app and there's no reason for them to continue to really make it when for not really any more effort just slight tweaking allows them to sell a much more lucrative model at significantly more profit. Unless something vastly changes, I think the 3080 production is mostly done-for and seems to have been in the most recent lead-up.

The 3080 and 3080ti are based on the same chip, and yield rates are still a thing. Do you think they're gonna start just throwing out all the GA102 chips that don't meet whatever standards they have for the ti?

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Sphyre posted:

yes. they've really "stepped up" the price if you ask me

:)

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

CoolCab posted:

it’s kind of darkly funny watching this thread both share the wider negative reaction to the 3080ti’s price and also have a sizeable contingent buying 3090s.

the 3080ti is so overpriced that at that point you might as well go whole hog since you're overpaying anyway

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CoolCab posted:

The 3070ti's RRP was already announced at $599.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Oooh, I did not know thank you! Have the specs been released too?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Shear Modulus posted:

They apparently don't let you use the coupons on step up orders.

Yeah, I’d be using the coupon code on the 3080 Ti that I am on the normal notify queue for. So I’ve seen it work for those.

The 3090 would be a step-up option i have, but it’d cost about $2000 after tax and of course I can’t use the coupon code.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

CoolCab posted:

Oooh, I did not know thank you! Have the specs been released too?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 3070ti is gonna be a pretty minor upgrade. The biggest boost in performance will come from the faster memory, which is not a common sales pitch when it comes to GPUs. It will be an interesting test case to see how impactful GDDR6X really is, at least.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Some reviews I've read suggested the 3070 is bottlenecked by memory bandwidth at high (OC) clocks. If you think about this another way, the card the 3070 was most often compared to was the 2080Ti, they perform about the same but the 2080Ti has a 352-bit memory bus to avoid problems there. G6X would give the 3070Ti close to the same amount of bandwidth. So it might actually be an impactful change. We just have to wait for reviews to see how much.

On the other hand, if that chart is right, the Ti uses almost 30% more power than the regular 3070. There's no way it's 30% faster, so it will likely be a much less efficient card, if that matters. I'm still going to try to get one through Step-Up, though.

Lurikeenrock
May 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
some pictures of 3080ti's show only 2 8pins. Is that in spec or are they recycling 3070 pictures?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B095W3S3LF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lurikeenrock fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 8, 2021

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Lurikeenrock posted:

some pictures of 3080ti's show only 2 8pins. Is that in spec or are they recycling 3070 pictures?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B095W3S3LF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It only needs a third 8-pin if the board power is (able to be) higher than the stock 350W (since a card can get up to 375 from two 8-pin and the slot).

I know the EVGA 3090 that has three 8-pins has an optional vBIOS that increases its power limit to 450W, so their 3080Ti may get something similar.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Lurikeenrock posted:

My MSI 3080Ti had got 3x 8 pin connectors, though it's the 'suprim' version.

Edit: So far this thing is good but I cannot fathom somebody shelling out what I paid for it. It was only after some trades that I managed to be out of pocket something like £300.

It's also really highlighted which games are well optimised and which aren't. Cyberpunk I can play at 1440p with everything maxed, same for Metro Exodus Enhanced, RDR2 drops to 50FPS in that situation, whilst Crysis Remastered scrapes 30, which is ridiculous for how it looks.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 8, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
looking like 70 TI FE BB might be online only GG QQ KK

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Scan is using pre-built parts to clear its preorder backlog - my replacement EVGA 3080 came packaged in just an anti-static bag, no box, and it's got a 3XS (their in-house SI brand) label on the backplate.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

looking like 70 TI FE BB might be online only GG QQ KK

RIP anyone trying to get one, drat that sucks

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Scan has 3060ti bundled with a ryzen 5 5600 for £800

Now I'm double guessing buying it, since I'll buy it for my VR mostly and in not sure how much extra performance it'll give me to my 1060 6gb

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Now I'm double guessing buying it, since I'll buy it for my VR mostly and in not sure how much extra performance it'll give me to my 1060 6gb

3060Ti is basically a 1080Ti that will let you use DLSS. Definitely a big step up tbqh

edit: actually it's quite a bit better than the 1080ti in a lot of benchmarks, even higher than the 2080 super sometimes

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

that sounds like a worthwhile upgrade in this poster's opinion

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

stump collector posted:

I've been moved along to step 2/5 of the step up process, does anyone have recent experience on how long it takes them to check over an invoice?

I put in for my 3090 Step-Up on Saturday 6/5 - still Step 1.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

That's an extremely good deal, particularly as there's every reason to believe the 5600 is going to be good for years and so that system will be prime for a gpu upgrade in a couple of generations time.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It appears to be out of stock now anyway, I probably would've taken that deal on sight because that's a great CPU upgrade and a good GPU.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 3060ti is basically the perfect value card for 1080p or 1440p. All benchmarks indicate that it's perfectly smooth at max settings without ray tracing in almost every game out right now at those resolutions. RT capable with DLSS, and it should maintain its value for the next few years. If these were normal times, the 3060ti would be an extremely popular card.

When it comes to VR, it's probably not gonna be able to handle any really high-fidelity VR games perfectly, but if you're already doing VR with a 1060, it would be a very big upgrade.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 8, 2021

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I still have it in my basket, but I was mistaken, it's a 3060, not a ti

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Oh, that is a bit worse then, haha. Still a fair bit better than your 1060 (around 50 to 100% better framerates according to some benchmarks), but nowhere near worth that price. The non-ti 3060 is about equivalent to a regular 2070.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

So the EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra I managed to score last week runs pretty, pretty hot

I had to set the power target in Precision X1 at ~85% because otherwise (at least in GPU-intensive games) the card was heating all the way up to 84 degrees and having to throttle its clocks. Setting a higher fan curve did help immensely with that but it was also, well, very loud.

But lowering the power seems to have worked out just fine; only a marginal (1-2 frames) performance decrease and the temps stay below 80C. Just a heads up if anyone else lucks into one.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cross-Section posted:

So the EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra I managed to score last week runs pretty, pretty hot

I had to set the power target in Precision X1 at ~85% because otherwise (at least in GPU-intensive games) the card was heating all the way up to 84 degrees and having to throttle its clocks. Setting a higher fan curve did help immensely with that but it was also, well, very loud.

But lowering the power seems to have worked out just fine; only a marginal (1-2 frames) performance decrease and the temps stay below 80C. Just a heads up if anyone else lucks into one.

Do you think you’d try to undervolt it a little? I did that on my 3080 FTW3 and with a little bit of an undervolt, the temps seemed significantly more modest for a tiny reduction in performance.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
At least your signal isn't straight up flickering like when GN tested their 3080ti.

Just as 3090 was the card to teach people about how about backplates work, the 3080ti will be what makes underclocking mainstream.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Do you think you’d try to undervolt it a little? I did that on my 3080 FTW3 and with a little bit of an undervolt, the temps seemed significantly more modest for a tiny reduction in performance.

I tried undervolting my last card (a Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC) with the curve tuner in Afterburner, but I never could get the settings to stick for whatever reason. Over time, the curve would gradually move itself higher until it was basically identical to stock clocks.

Might be different with X1, but it looks like setting a power limit seems to be a good enough substitute anyway.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
i don't know what people are talking about when they say undervolting doesn't affect things. i've definitely seen drops in temperature from doing it but every time i do it even when i use the "conservative" estimates of what a stable undervolt is i still occasionally see blue screens

am i just doing it wrong? or maybe everyone else is more tolerant of the occasional blue-screen

had this same problem with cpu overclocking as well, have a 9700k which everyone swears up and down is capable of hitting 5GHz allcore stably but i was never able to get it stable doing so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Shipon posted:

i don't know what people are talking about when they say undervolting doesn't affect things. i've definitely seen drops in temperature from doing it but every time i do it even when i use the "conservative" estimates of what a stable undervolt is i still occasionally see blue screens

am i just doing it wrong? or maybe everyone else is more tolerant of the occasional blue-screen

had this same problem with cpu overclocking as well, have a 9700k which everyone swears up and down is capable of hitting 5GHz allcore stably but i was never able to get it stable doing so

Undervolting is basically overclocking in that you're telling hardware to run at a higher frequency for a given voltage. There is no one size fits all number. If you're getting blue screens, your hardware probably needs more voltage for the frequency you're trying to run.