Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
Here's one I just remembered seeing on TV back in maybe the late 90s; the movie itself was probably from the 80s or 90s.

I only caught the end, but it was apparently a boxing film of some sort. More or less, the final bout was the hero fighting his trainer, who was suddenly the antagonist (may not have been his trainer, but someone that the hero knew). They decided to box bare-knuckle, for reasons that I do not recall. One thing I remember about the fight was that the trainer kept lowering his head to take the punches on the top of his head, "Hardest part of the body" he would say, which lead to the hero injuring his hands and having trouble punching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Capn Jobe posted:

Here's one I just remembered seeing on TV back in maybe the late 90s; the movie itself was probably from the 80s or 90s.

I only caught the end, but it was apparently a boxing film of some sort. More or less, the final bout was the hero fighting his trainer, who was suddenly the antagonist (may not have been his trainer, but someone that the hero knew). They decided to box bare-knuckle, for reasons that I do not recall. One thing I remember about the fight was that the trainer kept lowering his head to take the punches on the top of his head, "Hardest part of the body" he would say, which lead to the hero injuring his hands and having trouble punching.

I think this is a twilight zone maybe? anyhow, it sounds like it's based on a short story called "a piece of steak" iirc

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Capn Jobe posted:

Gladiator (not that one)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=43OFK1RuKoM

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

if only Brian Dennehy were raping a girl in that clip... ㅠㅠ

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

Bingo, that's the one.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Skunkrocker posted:

Yeah, but it's different enough from the stuff in Total Recall to make me think he's thinking of something else cause the lack of air on Mars was a problem until the end of the movie.

Yeah, no, I can see the similarities and how it might get bastardized from different memories over 20 years, but the stuff I remember is pretty distinct from Total Recall. So as I recall (:v:), It took place on Earth, and the air was breathable the whole time, the rulers were just lying to keep everyone dependent. I remember it visually pretty different overall, and Arnie wasn't in it.

I think I would've recognized the first time I saw Total Recall many years later, but on the other hand I know that memory can be very unreliable so who knows. Maybe somebody else would recognize what I'm talking about.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I legitimately thought Brian Dennehy had died like a decade ago.

Also I did not know he lied about being a Marine and seeing combat

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

oldpainless posted:

I legitimately thought Brian Dennehy had died like a decade ago.

Also I did not know he lied about being a Marine and seeing combat

He didn't lie about being a Marine, just about being in combat.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

My mistake

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Brian Dennehy stealing valor loving owns.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

mobby_6kl posted:

Okay, these are two movies (at least I think it's from two distinct movies, maybe some others got mixed in by now) from my early childhood of watching them on a tiny B&W TV. I doubt they were very good but these are my earliest movie memories, in addition to one of the original Star Wars episodes. This had to be early to mid 90s in the Eastern Bloc so I doubt they were exactly fresh A-grade material.

1. Dystopian futuristic society where everybody has to live in bunkers/domes as the outside air became poisonous. There's a rebellion of some sort and our protagonist's hazmat suit gets wrecked while outside and... instead of dying horribly, it turns out the air was fine. We were lied to this whole time!
2. A few kids, I'd guess pre-teen now, have messed up home family situation. Maybe divorce? They're fishing out golf balls and reselling them to earn money to build a glider or some sort of flying contraption to go to their mom/dad, and I think somehow that works out fine.

Even if somebody knows what the hell I'm talking about, I probably shouldn't rewatch them now, but I'm really curious what they were.

Do you have more detail on #1?

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The first one might be Seksmisija, a 1983 Polish film about the evils of matriarchy and feminism.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
1 sounds a lot like the book "Wool", sort of, without spoiling that too much. I wonder if one is based on the other.

GIGA-Reagan
Mar 11, 2017
I saw this movie on TV about 25 years ago, it was about some dude from the future that was fighting machines (I remember one of them being invisible but maybe I had just watched a scene from Predator), and he kept mentioning he needed "Earth-Movers" to stop them. There was also some shiny piece of metal that was a portal to the future and at one point some trucker sticks his head in it, and a machine is there waiting for him and pulls him threw, leaving only a bloody boot spinning in the dirt. Even as a kid I knew this movie was kinda stupid, but it's stuck with me for all these years, if someone could shed some light on it I would appreciate it.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

GIGA-Reagan posted:

I saw this movie on TV about 25 years ago, it was about some dude from the future that was fighting machines (I remember one of them being invisible but maybe I had just watched a scene from Predator), and he kept mentioning he needed "Earth-Movers" to stop them. There was also some shiny piece of metal that was a portal to the future and at one point some trucker sticks his head in it, and a machine is there waiting for him and pulls him threw, leaving only a bloody boot spinning in the dirt. Even as a kid I knew this movie was kinda stupid, but it's stuck with me for all these years, if someone could shed some light on it I would appreciate it.

I get a very Albert Pyun vibe from what you're describing for some reason. Check out his list:

http://m.imdb.com/name/nm0150034/filmotype/director?ref_=m_nmfm_1

If not, maybe check Full Moon Entertainment's list from the 90s. It's huge though.

GIGA-Reagan
Mar 11, 2017

Ape Agitator posted:

I get a very Albert Pyun vibe from what you're describing for some reason. Check out his list:

http://m.imdb.com/name/nm0150034/filmotype/director?ref_=m_nmfm_1

If not, maybe check Full Moon Entertainment's list from the 90s. It's huge though.

Ahh thanks! I checked it out but couldn't find it, did some more research searched through lists of every time travel movie made and found it, it's called The Time Guardian, I also found a nice little youtube video of it that sums it up nicely. Strangely enough, it stars Carrie Fisher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4piIHEMewpQ

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Trying to remember a sex education video that was shown at my school several times in the mid 90's. It had a pretty comedic bent, and included

1) A famous female sex educator showing how to use a condom with a guy in a condom costume.
2) A performance by a band called Corky and the Juice Pigs.
3) Another band playing another comedy song called "He Slept On His Arms Last Night".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Man, I loved Corky and the Juice pigs when I was in middle school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNuvb2xXb3k

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lurdiak posted:

Man, I loved Corky and the Juice pigs when I was in middle school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNuvb2xXb3k

I don't have anything to add, but outside of MadTV, I'm always happy and surprised that others have heard of Corky and the Juice Pigs. Sean Cullen is a comedic genius, and a Canadian national treasure :allears:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
A movie that might have been made for TV. A guy that seems like a well meaning down on his luck person but is actually a manipulative thieving rear end in a top hat is staying at a family's house for a week or something. The guy had longish hair and a mustache. At one point the guy that owns the house gets into an argument with his neighbor over something super stereotypical like it was literally the neighbor trimming branches on his side of the property or cutting down a tree or something. Anyway they end up coming to blows over it and the neighbor his BADLY injured like he's bleeding out of the back of his head.

So the guy goes back into the house to the down on his family (down on his luck guy is there too) and is like oh poo poo one of you go out and make sure he's alright I'm calling 911. So the down on his luck guy goes out and just straight up kills the dude, then goes back into the house, changes into a new set of the home owner's clothes, takes some of the family's money, and leaves. One of the family members notices him doing this and he's just like "Oh uh yeah just wanted to change was doing some yardwork" and they're like oh as if nothing happened. Basically the guy was being portrayed like some master agent of chaos but it was more just that he ran into a family of dumbasses.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 29, 2017

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
Maybe this:

The Guest (2014)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2980592/?ref_=nv_sr_1

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Cornwind Evil posted:

3) Another band playing another comedy song called "He Slept On His Arms Last Night".

This is from the extremely short-lived Canadian Show "The Vacant Lot" which aired on Comedy Central in 1994.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfKFV1J7O4s

This song pops into my head every now and again when my arms hurt after waking up.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

You Are A Elf posted:

This is from the extremely short-lived Canadian Show "The Vacant Lot" which aired on Comedy Central in 1994.

This song pops into my head every now and again when my arms hurt after waking up.

Whoa, great find. I always remembered this as a Kids in the Hall sketch. Pops into my head from time to time since I was a kid.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

You Are A Elf posted:

Other good songs about sleeping on arms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyi7xcykiUQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG4janHITY8

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

codyclarke posted:

Whoa, great find. I always remembered this as a Kids in the Hall sketch. Pops into my head from time to time since I was a kid.

Oddly enough, one of the members of The Vacant Lot is Mark Mckinney's brother. I wonder how that went down. "Hey bro, I'm going to do sketch comedy like you, and I'll probably be just as well-known" and then literally 6 weeks later, they no longer have a show. Ah well.

There's something about Kids in the Hall that made it incredible, which was pretty much everything. The Vacant lot came across as 'just another sketch comedy show.'

This was ok, though (EDIT: Nevermind, just rewatched, it's kind of cringey seeing as though they did this same skit everywhere)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9_3nQFNy-w

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 31, 2017

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Black and white film, boy and girl are in a boat trying to get away from a man, they hide in a house maybe under stairs.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Andorra posted:

Black and white film, boy and girl are in a boat trying to get away from a man, they hide in a house maybe under stairs.

Night of the Hunter

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Okay, I'm betting it was from the 60s, since it was dapper Roddy MacDowall as the lead. I think he stole things from his work as a museum curator to bring home to his mother.

He has a whole conversation with her while she just rocks in her rocking chair, then when he goes to give her the jewels he stole, the shot reveals she's a rotted husk, Norma Bates style.

I think there was also something to do with an evil or haunted Aztec(?) statue that was killing people, but those two plot points seem so incongruent, it may be two separate movies mish-mashed together (I was watching the Blaxploitation film The Thing With Two Heads, dozed in and out, and YouTube just autoplayed more campy movies that I kept briefly waking up during and being extremely confused, assuming it was still the same movie)

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

LadyPictureShow posted:

Okay, I'm betting it was from the 60s, since it was dapper Roddy MacDowall as the lead. I think he stole things from his work as a museum curator to bring home to his mother.

He has a whole conversation with her while she just rocks in her rocking chair, then when he goes to give her the jewels he stole, the shot reveals she's a rotted husk, Norma Bates style.

I think there was also something to do with an evil or haunted Aztec(?) statue that was killing people, but those two plot points seem so incongruent, it may be two separate movies mish-mashed together (I was watching the Blaxploitation film The Thing With Two Heads, dozed in and out, and YouTube just autoplayed more campy movies that I kept briefly waking up during and being extremely confused, assuming it was still the same movie)

IT! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061826/

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Thanks!

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
I'm trying to remember the name of a movie I saw on TV either in the late 80s or early 90s. I don't remember exactly what the plot was about but it had something to do with a young boy losing his hair. He ends up drinking some concoction that makes it grow very long. He has a dream sequence where he is playing soccer and a dog chases him and attacks him via his hair. I'm not 100% sure of the genre, possibly drama or horror.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Smoking_Dragon posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a movie I saw on TV either in the late 80s or early 90s. I don't remember exactly what the plot was about but it had something to do with a young boy losing his hair. He ends up drinking some concoction that makes it grow very long. He has a dream sequence where he is playing soccer and a dog chases him and attacks him via his hair. I'm not 100% sure of the genre, possibly drama or horror.

Probably "The Peanut Butter Solution"

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

That's it, thanks!!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

God drat it, you've opened a door in my mind, I didn't need to remember this.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

aka the undisputed 'Identify a Movie For Me' MVP

knucklehead
Apr 29, 2004

concentrated and crosseyed a dangerous combination
Hey everyone!

This is a crime movie, late 70s early 80s. Sadly I don't remember any of the actors. However, I feel like it was set in either London or some part of Europe. The end is what I remember the most. The main character, or an important side character, gets in a car on a dirt sandy road. The car is near some plantation, like corn or some other crop. He had been struck on the back of the head/neck during some previous violent scene. When he goes to get in the car he has an obvious limp, and is talking weird, almost like a stroke.

I remember that scene because my Dad told me at the time, " You don't get hit that hard and walk normal after." I still think it shocked me that this main character, side character could get so hosed up, with a simple head blow.

I recently watched To Live and Die in LA, and what happens to the main character dragged up this memory.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

knucklehead posted:

Hey everyone!

This is a crime movie, late 70s early 80s. Sadly I don't remember any of the actors. However, I feel like it was set in either London or some part of Europe. The end is what I remember the most. The main character, or an important side character, gets in a car on a dirt sandy road. The car is near some plantation, like corn or some other crop. He had been struck on the back of the head/neck during some previous violent scene. When he goes to get in the car he has an obvious limp, and is talking weird, almost like a stroke.

I remember that scene because my Dad told me at the time, " You don't get hit that hard and walk normal after." I still think it shocked me that this main character, side character could get so hosed up, with a simple head blow.

I recently watched To Live and Die in LA, and what happens to the main character dragged up this memory.

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot starring Jeff Bridges and Clint Eastwood.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

SimonCat posted:

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot starring Jeff Bridges and Clint Eastwood.

Could be, but Bridges was limping all through the movie, and that's memorable.

Also, all that big open emptiness of Montana is hard to mistake for Europe, and god knows that Great Falls isn't going to be confused with London. (Source: 29 years in GF growing up, and a shitload of those locations were still present when I was there - they'd shut down the drive-in by the time I was old enough to notice, though.)

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
A train is going strong across a bridge then just plummets off the side, when the main character raises up and its revealed to be a model train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Andorra posted:

A train is going strong across a bridge then just plummets off the side, when the main character raises up and its revealed to be a model train.

This sounds like something you're misremembering about "Europa".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik3qg3k7oPs