Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
I think there's three takes. He does not suspect Bateman, he suspects Bateman, he *knows* Bateman did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Dr Monkeysee posted:

I think there's three takes. He does not suspect Bateman, he suspects Bateman, he *knows* Bateman did it.

Yeah that's correct. They talk about it on the special features on the DVD.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Parks and Rec has used that several times as well. One of the early episodes I remember that I thought really differentiated itself from the Office and decided to run with Poehler's improv background was the cabin episode that had this part:

http://youtu.be/zjWbD9qC9E8

Edit: Hm, embedding a video from a phone is trickier than I thought.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 10, 2014

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Why is it that, no matter how I watch a movie at home, whether it be downloaded from the internet, ripped from a DVD or played straight off the disc, that my sound levels are completely hosed.

I always have to crank the movie for dialogue, but as soon as the car chase starts, a fight breaks out or the score kicks in my ear drums nearly explode? I find myself with remote in hand constantly raising and lowering the volume.

I know the initial answer is, "set your speakers up properly!" but it happens if I watch in 5.1, use headphones, or just watch something from computer with lovely PC surround speakers.

Is it something to do with the way movies are transferred to DVD/Blu Ray? Is all the gear I own terribly calibrated? Do I just have really lovely hearing?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

xcore posted:

Why is it that, no matter how I watch a movie at home, whether it be downloaded from the internet, ripped from a DVD or played straight off the disc, that my sound levels are completely hosed.

I always have to crank the movie for dialogue, but as soon as the car chase starts, a fight breaks out or the score kicks in my ear drums nearly explode? I find myself with remote in hand constantly raising and lowering the volume.

I know the initial answer is, "set your speakers up properly!" but it happens if I watch in 5.1, use headphones, or just watch something from computer with lovely PC surround speakers.

Is it something to do with the way movies are transferred to DVD/Blu Ray? Is all the gear I own terribly calibrated? Do I just have really lovely hearing?

That's something that I've noticed in a few movies (oh god, the Higlander dvd was the worst), but if it happening with everything you watch there's probably something wrong with how your sound system is set up

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

That's something that I've noticed in a few movies (oh god, the Higlander dvd was the worst), but if it happening with everything you watch there's probably something wrong with how your sound system is set up

As far as I know, a lot of dvds are this way. There's no easy fix for it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
A lot of films are mixed weird, even in theaters.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

xcore posted:

The Dredd DVD actually has an "apartment" audio track that fixes this very problem. The dialog is turned up and everything else is turned down.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

computer parts posted:

A lot of films are mixed weird, even in theaters.

If you mean weird, as in they have an extreme dynamic range, then yes.

Armyman25 posted:

The Dredd DVD actually has an "apartment" audio track that fixes this very problem. The dialog is turned up and everything else is turned down.

The problem is, movie soundtracks are mixed to be played at a very loud reference level. In the 10 years i worked as a projectionist I never once, not even for one-man screenings for myself, ran a movie at reference. Newer AV receivers and televisions have digital EQs built in to compensate for this, without completely flattening the soundscape like earlier "night listening" modes did.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Armyman25 posted:

That's fuckin rad.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
What is the ultimate goal of the current Planet of the Apes movies? The original series started at the end and then filled us in on its history. Will this series end with astronauts landing on Earth in the future?

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Assuming it'll end as a trilogy, my money is on the last scene being a descendant of the big orange orangutan, looking mostly like The Lawgiver But Not Really, giving the same speech to a mixed group of humans and kids that The Lawgiver gave at the end of Battle. Something something "And that's why humans and apes should work to live together in peace, everyone" and then a kid looking at the camera and going "But will it ever work?!?!!?!"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mister Kingdom posted:

What is the ultimate goal of the current Planet of the Apes movies? The original series started at the end and then filled us in on its history. Will this series end with astronauts landing on Earth in the future?

It seems like it's just establishing Caesar's dynasty. You might get a flash forward at the end of the third film but I doubt any significant part of the original film is going to be revisited.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

They did have an offhand reference to a lost spacecraft in Rise, though who knows if that was just a wink and a nod or if they have been planning to pay that off this whole time.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

They did have an offhand reference to a lost spacecraft in Rise, though who knows if that was just a wink and a nod or if they have been planning to pay that off this whole time.

They gave it the same name and focused a bit on it so you would think so.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Quad posted:

Assuming it'll end as a trilogy

I don't know why they'd stop there if they keep making money. The main characters are CGI and they've already switched directors once. There's no member of the creative team that could force a stop to things.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sir Kodiak posted:

I don't know why they'd stop there if they keep making money. The main characters are CGI and they've already switched directors once. There's no member of the creative team that could force a stop to things.

I know nothing of the films but this is the commercial reality. As long as they make enough enough money they'll keep making them.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm scratching my head about Cinema Paradiso. Spoiler tags for a 24 year old movie:

Salvatore discovers after Alfredo's funeral that Alfredo intercepted his love letters and told Elena not to contact him anymore.

Salvatore is incredibly upset over this at first, but then he watches the film of all the deleted scenes from the theater and cries, but he also smiles and seems to be happy.

Is Salvatore okay with his life having been censored and edited like one of the movies that played in the local theater? Has he "made peace" with the fact that his mentor kept him away from the love of his life? It's hard to believe he still wouldn't be devastated over it.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I'm taking my 4 year old daughter to her first movie soon and have a question. Theaters generally don't allow you to bring in your own food or drink that I know if (it's been years since I went to a theater), but would they get bent out of shape if you brought in some juice or whatever for your kid?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Hide it in a purse, put it in your pockets while you walk in the theatre, put it under your poo poo, any of the above, no one will give a poo poo. They might tell you "no outside products" if you try bringing it in the open but they couldn't care less once you're in the theatre. The 16 year olds working the local theatre have better things to worry about.

Question of my own: Robin Williams is dead, so I figured tonight would be a good time to watch The Fisher King. In a scene about 20 minutes into the movie, you briefly see the face of a hobo and I went "wait a sec, is that Sean Astin?" He's not credited and I can't find any information on google about an uncredited role, but it totally looks like him.

Confirm/deny?

(or maybe I'm crazy and it's some other actor that ooks like him).

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 12, 2014

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I don't think it looks like him. Sean Astin has a giant head, that guy doesn't.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Yeah that isn't Sean Astin.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Wow, today I learned that Sean Astin is 42 years old (And Billy Boyd is 46!)

And then I remembered that the last LOTR movie came out 11 years ago... Man I'm getting old.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

attackmole posted:

Hide it in a purse, put it in your pockets while you walk in the theatre, put it under your poo poo, any of the above, no one will give a poo poo. They might tell you "no outside products" if you try bringing it in the open but they couldn't care less once you're in the theatre. The 16 year olds working the local theatre have better things to worry about.

Question of my own: Robin Williams is dead, so I figured tonight would be a good time to watch The Fisher King. In a scene about 20 minutes into the movie, you briefly see the face of a hobo and I went "wait a sec, is that Sean Astin?" He's not credited and I can't find any information on google about an uncredited role, but it totally looks like him.

Confirm/deny?

(or maybe I'm crazy and it's some other actor that ooks like him).

I believe that's Bradley Gregg.

harpomarxist
Oct 7, 2007

Useless twat opinions from everybody's favorite British coffee shop revolutionary!
So, that deliberate lo-fi approach that comes from using VHS to film in our clear as crystal, HD age really interests me.

Harmony Korine used it for Trash Humpers, there's a resurgence of VHS usage in recent music videos and it's the core aspect of the V/H/S films.

So I think there's been a modern aesthetic that's been created around the graininess/lack of clarity of the image with VHS, which has connotations of decay or obsolescence or of nostalgia. Of course this is going to happen, because VHS *is* obsolete now, and I can understand how that would enhance the mood of a certain type of film. Where it works, it works well. But i'm wondering if anyone has examples of modern films/shorts that have been shot using VHS that aren't either nostalgic in a obvious way (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmVDr93UJQQ as a example, great music but the tricks it does, with the onscreen captions, the vhs flickering etc, makes it seem arch rather than authentic) or where the image is used to enhance the horror/weirdness of the film (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQYSRXT3CiU where the graininess accentuates the creepiness) and instead captures the liberatory quality of VHS without pandering. Maybe just filming a serious movie on a home camera without emphasising the nostalgic/sleazy aspects that VHS can lend to a film purely because of it's picture quality.

Basically can someone find me a modern VHS-shot movie that isn't either in the horror genre or hearkening back to an older age.

(edited for clarity)

harpomarxist fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 12, 2014

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Steve Yun posted:

I'm scratching my head about Cinema Paradiso. Spoiler tags for a 24 year old movie:

Salvatore discovers after Alfredo's funeral that Alfredo intercepted his love letters and told Elena not to contact him anymore.

Salvatore is incredibly upset over this at first, but then he watches the film of all the deleted scenes from the theater and cries, but he also smiles and seems to be happy.

Is Salvatore okay with his life having been censored and edited like one of the movies that played in the local theater? Has he "made peace" with the fact that his mentor kept him away from the love of his life? It's hard to believe he still wouldn't be devastated over it.

It's been forever since I've seen it, but there is an extended cut that elaborates more on this very thing (the movie was cut down pretty hard for the international version after poor performance). He's generally not okay with it, but he makes his peace with the idea that if Alfredo hadn't kept him away from the love of his life, he'd have never become a filmmaker and sought out his destiny.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

harpomarxist posted:

So, that deliberate lo-fi approach that comes from using VHS to film in our clear as crystal, HD age really interests me.

Harmony Korine used it for Trash Humpers, there's a resurgence of VHS usage in recent music videos and it's the core aspect of the V/H/S films.

So I think there's been a modern aesthetic that's been created around the graininess/lack of clarity of the image with VHS, which has connotations of decay or obsolescence or of nostalgia. Of course this is going to happen, because VHS *is* obsolete now, and I can understand how that would enhance the mood of a certain type of film. Where it works, it works well. But i'm wondering if anyone has examples of modern films/shorts that have been shot using VHS that aren't either nostalgic in a obvious way (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmVDr93UJQQ as a example, great music but the tricks it does, with the onscreen captions, the vhs flickering etc, makes it seem arch rather than authentic) or where the image is used to enhance the horror/weirdness of the film (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQYSRXT3CiU where the graininess accentuates the creepiness) and instead captures the liberatory quality of VHS without pandering. Maybe just filming a serious movie on a home camera without emphasising the nostalgic/sleazy aspects that VHS can lend to a film purely because of it's picture quality.

Basically can someone find me a modern VHS-shot movie that isn't either in the horror genre or hearkening back to an older age.

(edited for clarity)

I'd be very surprised if any of those films were actually shot on VHS (maybe Trash Humpers); they are probably shot digitally and the image degraded in post.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

harpomarxist posted:

(edited for clarity)

I haven't seen it since it first came out on video, but I think there are parts of Be Kind Rewind that are meant to look like they were shot on VHS (like therattle said, I doubt anything with even a minor release was shot on an actual VHS camcorder).

I will say that the best possible way to see To Live and Die in LA is an old vhs copy of it. VHS degradation does some wonderful things with reds. I kinda wonder if sometime in the 80's directors or cinematographers started shooting stuff conscious of how it'd look on the eventual VHS release.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

harpomarxist posted:

Maybe just filming a serious movie on a home camera without emphasising the nostalgic/sleazy aspects that VHS can lend to a film purely because of it's picture quality.

I was actually just thinking about this the other day - have you seen No? It's about the production of an ad campaign urging voters to kick Pinochet off his throne in 1988, and it's shot on Sony U-Matic tape (the kind news channels used). The idea is that the U-Matic tape would help the new footage blend in with old documentary footage (not to mention the tv commercials), but it's also a really fun aesthetic on its own. There're a few scenes where the camera catches the sunlight and this hazy rainbow spreads across the screen (which was extra cool in the theater), it made me want to see more films shot like that.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

therattle posted:

I'd be very surprised if any of those films were actually shot on VHS (maybe Trash Humpers); they are probably shot digitally and the image degraded in post.

Trash Humpers was shot and edited on VHS.

harpomarxist
Oct 7, 2007

Useless twat opinions from everybody's favorite British coffee shop revolutionary!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I was actually just thinking about this the other day - have you seen No? It's about the production of an ad campaign urging voters to kick Pinochet off his throne in 1988, and it's shot on Sony U-Matic tape (the kind news channels used). The idea is that the U-Matic tape would help the new footage blend in with old documentary footage (not to mention the tv commercials), but it's also a really fun aesthetic on its own. There're a few scenes where the camera catches the sunlight and this hazy rainbow spreads across the screen (which was extra cool in the theater), it made me want to see more films shot like that.

Oh excellent, thanks, i'm on it.

harpomarxist
Oct 7, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I haven't seen it since it first came out on video, but I think there are parts of Be Kind Rewind that are meant to look like they were shot on VHS (like therattle said, I doubt anything with even a minor release was shot on an actual VHS camcorder).

I will say that the best possible way to see To Live and Die in LA is an old vhs copy of it. VHS degradation does some wonderful things with reds. I kinda wonder if sometime in the 80's directors or cinematographers started shooting stuff conscious of how it'd look on the eventual VHS release.

That's a really interesting idea about 'To Live and Die', that the VHS degradation becomes part of the art, that the VHS tape itself becomes almost living - changing over time. Reminds me of Decasia by Bill Morrison, found footage of decaying reels of film, I guess that's probably another thing we lose with DVD/Bluray, over video, with the former they're liable to just no longer work whilst the latter literally degrades as you watch it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

You could say the same about film prints. I love an old film print that's starting to go all yellow.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Generation loss can turn literally anything into a horror movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mES3CHEnVyI

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
or if you prefer sci-fi, upload to youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icruGcSsPp0

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Schweinhund posted:

or if you prefer sci-fi, upload to youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icruGcSsPp0

The 500 version sounds like a demon whispering to me from the inner depths of hell.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You could say the same about film prints. I love an old film print that's starting to go all yellow.

I really wish they'd do a sort of "grindhouse" extra for some movies (Texas Chainsaw Masscre comes to mind) where they'd scan in a ratty old print and put it on the disc without touching it up.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The Everything Is Terrible! guys found a huge dump of VHS tapes and are uploading them as Memory Hole, further proving that lo-fi home video combined with droning synth music is innately terrifying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIupBLGwhjc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vbI0H6otpA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Enh9zNfTcg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McFjLZcR9Mk

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I think some films are fortunate to have only prints with degraded image. The grainy, scratchy, but still nice look of Sunrise, Vampyr, and Lonesome just suits the movies well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The Everything Is Terrible! guys found a huge dump of VHS tapes and are uploading them as Memory Hole, further proving that lo-fi home video combined with droning synth music is innately terrifying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIupBLGwhjc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vbI0H6otpA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Enh9zNfTcg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McFjLZcR9Mk

Try playing all four of these at the same time. It's truly horrifying.