Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

That reminds me, what was the name of the fake website they made for their Matrix Revolution riff in vein of the now sadly passed on Abe Vigora? I remember it was something like Big Dead rear end Guy, but I don't really want to google that to find something unrelated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

AndyP posted:

Timechasers feels like a movie that was ALMOST good, but couldn't quite get there.

And my theatre was about half full, which is the average for these things in my area.

Honestly, a lot of the MST3K movies could have been great movies. I'd actually like to see some modern day adaptations of them. Vin Diesel as Col Glen Manning, maybe. A few years ago I would have put Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie as Cal and Ruth in a This Island Earth remake. The movies aren't terrible, but a few more drafts or a better director could have made a world of difference. Manos, for instance, could be a legitimately creepy horror movie if done right.

Rirse posted:

That reminds me, what was the name of the fake website they made for their Matrix Revolution riff in vein of the now sadly passed on Abe Vigora? I remember it was something like Big Dead rear end Guy, but I don't really want to google that to find something unrelated.

IsBigDeadAssGuyAlive.com :v:

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

AndyP posted:

Timechasers feels like a movie that was ALMOST good, but couldn't quite get there.

And my theatre was about half full, which is the average for these things in my area.

I always said that Time Chasers is probably the "best" bad movie they ever showed on MST. It's definitely not as incompetent as 90% of what they watched, just too ambitious. I'd argue the same about 'Overdrawn At The Memory Bank'.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It Conquered The World is up there as well from the opposite direction- they had an almost decent script, *HORRIBLE* effects and props, and some of the best drat actors around to make it sing.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Vicissitude posted:

Honestly, a lot of the MST3K movies could have been great movies. I'd actually like to see some modern day adaptations of them. Vin Diesel as Col Glen Manning, maybe. A few years ago I would have put Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie as Cal and Ruth in a This Island Earth remake. The movies aren't terrible, but a few more drafts or a better director could have made a world of difference. Manos, for instance, could be a legitimately creepy horror movie if done right.

I always wanted to see Santa Conquers the Martians remade with Kyle Gass as Santa and Jack Black as Dropo.

Anyway, the loving Paul Bearer joke killed me.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Canned Panda posted:

They started making it about 80% shorter a little while ago
Also looks like they put some text that flashes on the chest in the vault when they played it tonight. Though it just looks like people's names so I'm not gonna bother going to try and find a freezeframe

muscles like this? posted:

Also man, those cut scenes sure were cut for a reason. Just way too much exposition about stuff that really didn't matter/make sense, like Nick's whole explanation for his theory of time travel.
I am such a sucker, I found myself earnestly listening to the movie's droning, garbage exposition sometimes. Then I had to stop myself when I realized I couldn't make out half the words because someone had been talking over them for the whole speech

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Whoever keeps writing Sonic the Hedgehog pregnant fanart jokes deserves a raise.

Also my theater was shockingly full considering the circumstances, maybe 2/3-3/4. Which made it all the louder when the video dropped out and then audio. Luckily because we're west coast, they just had to fix the projector and rewind the Dish DVR they recorded it on, just to re-emphasize that 80% of equipment in the average theater is outclassed by anyone with a half-decent home theater setup.

I hadn't seen this before so the entire thing was an amazing, terrible surprise. There really are a lot of movies out there where the women seem to actively and visibly fight against the movie forcing the romance on them, good lord.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't get how we went from the recent past being altered to things being fixed in the slightly more recent past. Slightly more recent past guy was stuck in the past so he couldn't have given the second demo much less changed the pitch.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
Mostly full theater for this in Seattle and the Jeff Bezos joke went over really well here.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Rick posted:

I would like Rifftrax to do Baskin but I guess it would be hard to riff a subtitled film.

I...I have no idea what you could do with that film. Make a lot of make sure you have frogs when encountering cops jokes? That movie is truly insane

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Can you give a quick spoiler for Baskin? The movie sites and wikipedia didn't give away the ending when I checked. disgusting things happen, a cop car crashes, they wind up in hell while stopping a cult and then weird things happen.

Edit: K. Gordon Murray did a thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMMZQsYpdHM

I haven't finished watching it yet but this is supposed to be an epic battle of good vs. evil. Stinky the Skunk is supposed to be in it to for some reason.

Edit 2: A few minutes in and we have a musical number, Stinky the Skunk, Ferocious Wolf with Ulcer, and blackface racism!

Edit 3: Wow, little girl sings like a fat 40 year old housewife.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 09:57 on May 6, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

tvgm2 posted:

One day he'll tell those rag heads to get lost.

I was a little disappointed by the show. About 15 minutes in the audio and video lost sync by about half a second which was super distracting for the dialogue scenes. And it didn't seem like they were ducking audio at all?

Edit: My theater was little more than half full.

The quality of the film was really inconsistent too. Like mostly it was fine but there were weird outliers like the scene where Nick crashed the car where it looked like a bad VHS copy.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

Evil Mastermind posted:

I have to admit, I was not expecting that.

About a third full here in RI, but it was a smaller theater because of Civil War.

I was at Warwick -- pretty decent crowd considering it was cold, nasty outside and Civil War was playing. My top 3 moments had to be the trash pile, the crashing of the car/bike chase, and the awful racist NYNY cabbie. My god.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
It's odd that they decided to go with that day of all days. My theater was pretty sparse, compared to when they did past live events like The Room and Godzilla 98, which had packed houses. I'm wondering if Rifftrax will eventually have to move off Thursdays, with the rise of the Thursday pre-screenings. The MST Reunion Show will I'm sure be a packed house (I'm excited for Mike and Joel Riffing together, please let this happen).

Also, Chimp smoking cigars.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

RandomPauI posted:

I don't get how we went from the recent past being altered to things being fixed in the slightly more recent past. Slightly more recent past guy was stuck in the past so he couldn't have given the second demo much less changed the pitch.
That's nothing compared to the movie's biggest plothole: How did pinkshirt-Nick know that J.K. brought Castletonshirt-Nick back to July 7, 1777? For that matter, how did J.K. know exactly how far back in time Castletonshirt-Nick went when he wanted to stop the demo?

railroad terror posted:

I was at Warwick -- pretty decent crowd considering it was cold, nasty outside and Civil War was playing.
Hey neat, we were in the same theater! :v:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

RandomPauI posted:

The best part is when the girl falls for the time traveling version that hosed everything up but gives the current version the brush off. Must be some magic in those apples

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006

Bill losing it at the trash pile was pretty great.

Also man, those cut scenes sure were cut for a reason. Just way too much exposition about stuff that really didn't matter/make sense, like Nick's whole explanation for his theory of time travel.

Imagine four apples on the edge of a cliff...

Anyone have photos of the preshow slides?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The best thing about seeing these movies on the big screen is that you really see some of the bizarre visual moments you never noticed before on TV. Like the look on Lisa's face when Nick puts her in that weird hug/headlock just before she gets shot.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

CrimsonAuthor posted:

Imagine four apples on the edge of a cliff...

Anyone have photos of the preshow slides?

I usually try to get them, but my phone battery was dead

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
One thing I noticed about Time Chasers is that every car (except the limo) is an abject piece of poo poo. Like the alleged branch chief originally shows up in a Corolla Hatchback circa 1988.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

PassTheRemote posted:

It's odd that they decided to go with that day of all days. My theater was pretty sparse, compared to when they did past live events like The Room and Godzilla 98, which had packed houses. I'm wondering if Rifftrax will eventually have to move off Thursdays, with the rise of the Thursday pre-screenings. The MST Reunion Show will I'm sure be a packed house (I'm excited for Mike and Joel Riffing together, please let this happen).

it's also on a Tuesday!

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Saw this in NYC; theater was almost full! Very few people seem to have seen the movie on "MST3K" because nearly everyone expressed surprise when it suddenly cut to the Revolutionary War. Also, that is the one of the most out-of-left-field reveals on any "MST3K"/Rifftrax movie, and its especially weird because the movie is pretty by-the-numbers up to that point. I had totally forgotten the ridiculous bike chase, and that cabbie was an amazing addition to the movie. Biggest laugh for me was the "solpanls" callback with that poor day player trying to pronounce government.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They've said before that they don't really have a lot of options for what day of the week they do these things.

Overwined posted:

One thing I noticed about Time Chasers is that every car (except the limo) is an abject piece of poo poo. Like the alleged branch chief originally shows up in a Corolla Hatchback circa 1988.

They really should have adjusted their story to fit their budget because they couldn't do like 90% of the things they wanted. The biggest example was how they couldn't even afford two matte paintings for the future scenes.

Edit: I'm pretty sure the bike chase was massively cut down in the MST3K version.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 6, 2016

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Robert Denby posted:

Saw this in NYC; theater was almost full! Very few people seem to have seen the movie on "MST3K" because nearly everyone expressed surprise when it suddenly cut to the Revolutionary War. Also, that is the one of the most out-of-left-field reveals on any "MST3K"/Rifftrax movie, and its especially weird because the movie is pretty by-the-numbers up to that point. I had totally forgotten the ridiculous bike chase, and that cabbie was an amazing addition to the movie. Biggest laugh for me was the "solpanls" callback with that poor day player trying to pronounce government.

I had somehow completely forgotten the car crash and nearly died laughing.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

That one genuinely funny moment that comes out of nowhere makes Time Chasers a legitimately good movie.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

They've said before that they don't really have a lot of options for what day of the week they do these things.

They really should have adjusted their story to fit their budget because they couldn't do like 90% of the things they wanted. The biggest example was how they couldn't even afford two matte paintings for the future scenes.

Edit: I'm pretty sure the bike chase was massively cut down in the MST3K version.

Also, they could afford to rent some Community College Administration Office, but only had access to the hallways!? Lots of filming outdoors on what one presumes is public land. Using the Revolutionary War reenactors is actually pretty shrewd since I'm sure they were just tickled pink that they could be a real life movie.

I also like at the end how he just scraps the whole thing, when it really wasn't the technology's fault, but his hubris that was to blame. Use revolutionary technology for good? Nah, tried that once. Didn't work out.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Overwined posted:

The limo AND the cars from the 50s scene. They were not allowed to touch anything nice. The limo was probably on the meter from the limo company the whole time.

And man, the CEO's office was waaaay more funny to me than it should have been. I live in an area where they built a shitload of that exact kind of generic office building. So in my mind, he's set up in the stairwell next to a pediatrician's office--and they get an actual door.

I feel like this would have been a better movie if we'd started partway into the timeloop somehow. It would work--it seemed like in the second timeline, they could still see the Good Future since they hadn't hadn't over the time machine stuff yet. They had some good ideas, but fell far, far short in terms of writing, motivation, and acting.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That part didn't make any sense to me. The second loop Nick should have gone to the bad future since it was happening "now." They would have still been able to stop it but he should have gone there.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
There's a group of regulars (about 20 people or so) who go to all of these who were at my showing. We don't talk to each other. The screening ended up being an hour later than it was on the website., but this has happened enough times that I'm used to it by now, I always bring something else to do in case it was wrong. No one else was in the theater

The only time there's ever a packed showing for these locally is during the Christmas live show, although Birdemic sold out two shows.

Ramadu posted:

I...I have no idea what you could do with that film. Make a lot of make sure you have frogs when encountering cops jokes? That movie is truly insane

Forced demon sex, births into oil pans, calling each other "bro" constantly.

RandomPauI posted:

Can you give a quick spoiler for Baskin? The movie sites and wikipedia didn't give away the ending when I checked. disgusting things happen, a cop car crashes, they wind up in hell while stopping a cult and then weird things happen.

Edit: K. Gordon Murray did a thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMMZQsYpdHM

I haven't finished watching it yet but this is supposed to be an epic battle of good vs. evil. Stinky the Skunk is supposed to be in it to for some reason.

Edit 2: A few minutes in and we have a musical number, Stinky the Skunk, Ferocious Wolf with Ulcer, and blackface racism!

Edit 3: Wow, little girl sings like a fat 40 year old housewife.

I can give you a summary of what happens but I don't know if it really captures the insanity, also this might be out of order somewhat:

Film starts with boy hearing his mother having sex. Then there's a scary moment where it seems like he gets attacked. Then it jumps to the future where a bunch of cops are eating at a late night diner. The cops are giant dicks. The jerkiest cop beats up the waiter for fun They are afraid of frogs. They possibly get fed human flesh, but it doesn't go anywhere. They get a call, they go out on a call, they lose radio signal (of course) and get lost in the woods. They eventually run a person over, and swerve and fall into the water. They possibly die here? Or they don't. There is a flashback that reveals the chief of police and the young cop possibly have magic powers. The flashback ends with him being dragged out of the water. They meet some country bumpkins who they harass because they're dick cops, and they get directions to this house. They go to the house and it's full of frogs and, people with gross masks (or gross faces maybe) in cages, or in chains and loving. They all get caught and wake up chained to a wall. A little person demonesque guy comes out and removes the jerkiest cop's eye and then asks him to have sex with a woman who crawls into the room on all fours. "Woman" or demon or whatever. He does but his heart's not really in it, and apparently you really got to be into demon woman loving to breed whatever sort of creature they're trying to breed. But he's not that into it so I guess it doesn't work. We learn at this point that Young Cop is the boy at the beginning of the movie, and that somehow he has his powers to see dead people because a childhood friend died. The chief of police sacrifices his magic powers to the young cop, represented by a key embedded in his throat. Young cop uses the key and gets away somehow. Demon woman births whatever baby was placed in her into an oil pan. This is underselling this. She gets up on two legs, walks over to an oil pan, and PLOP a baby comes out and into the pan. The guy escapes the evil house. As he's about to get away, he goes out into the street to flag down help. It turns out it's the van with the cops and he is the person they run over. This was all a time loop.

Rick fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 6, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That's sounds absolutely amazing

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Watching the Rifftrax Live of Time Chasers made me realize I never paid that much attention to the actual movie before—or maybe the MST3K episode edited out some important scenes. I thought it was especially dark how basically every character "dies" in a different timeline, but the movie doesn't take it seriously at all.

And I did notice the movie audio was off by a second, but it seems to be a problem with Rifftrax's setup since there was no delay on Bill, Mike, and Kevin's video and audio.

bobservo fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 6, 2016

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That's sounds absolutely amazing

It's like if David Lynch made a Hellraiser movie. It's absolutely bonkers and that summary hits the points but oh man you really have to see it to truly get how just batshit insane it is.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is it suitable fodder for a riff?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Not at all.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
I still maintain Frogs needs an official riff.

Well, that and Yor.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I still maintain Frogs needs an official riff.

Well, that and Yor.

Yor needs a riff like yesterday.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I feel like we didn't talk about Cyber Tracker much at all. Just saw it and could barely stay awake. What a truly mediocre, boring movie. Literally about 40% of the movie is loooong drawn out shoot outs with the titular Cyber Tracker where no one gets hit.

Riffing was ok but barely saved it.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I just watched the Mutant riff last night. I don't think I've seen it mentioned before, but it got a few belly laughs out of me. I'd say it's worth your time to at least check it out, especially if you've watched all the other often recommended riffs.

Short version is a cock with fuzzy hair and his little brother get stranded in a small town full of violent drunks, and are overrun by zombies mutants.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I just watched the Mutant riff last night. I don't think I've seen it mentioned before, but it got a few belly laughs out of me. I'd say it's worth your time to at least check it out, especially if you've watched all the other often recommended riffs.

Short version is a cock with fuzzy hair and his little brother get stranded in a small town full of violent drunks, and are overrun by zombies mutants.

If you haven't seen Nightmare At Noon yet, it's the perfect follow-up, and I liked the riffing even better than Mutant.

For those who didn't already know, Nightmare At Noon is a psuedo-remake of Mutant, with the same premise and even the same lead actors, but playing different characters and now everything is happening during the day instead of at night. It's pretty loving bizarre to watch the two back-to-back and wonder what the point of the latter even was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I thought mutant and nightmare at noon were the same, which one has the helicopter chase?

• Locked thread