Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

coolskillrex remix posted:

An okay run down of the new 3s http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/12/2014-mazda3-review-first-drive/

$19-$20k, insane mpg, 184hp/185ft lb of torque, incredible looks, tons of little gadgets and tech, and to top it off it will be fun to drive.

Of course its going to get demolished in sales by the completely mediocre civic and corolla still. I just dont get it.

Once they release the manual version of the 2.5, I'm sold. I loved my Protege5, but it was just too drat slow. But 185HP should put the car into high six second 0-60 times, which is fine by me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

An okay run down of the new 3s http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/12/2014-mazda3-review-first-drive/

$19-$20k, insane mpg, 184hp/185ft lb of torque, incredible looks, tons of little gadgets and tech, and to top it off it will be fun to drive.

Of course its going to get demolished in sales by the completely mediocre civic and corolla still. I just dont get it.

Mazda's marketing budget is probably puny compared to Honda's and Toyota's efforts in the US. That has a LOT to do with sales. Dodge/Chrysler sales skyrocketed after they started running expensive ads a few years ago. There was of course a jump in quality, but nonetheless the ads had a big effect.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

angryhampster posted:

Mazda's marketing budget is probably puny compared to Honda's and Toyota's efforts in the US. That has a LOT to do with sales. Dodge/Chrysler sales skyrocketed after they started running expensive ads a few years ago. There was of course a jump in quality, but nonetheless the ads had a big effect.

Honda's ads are awesome : http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11j11w_pub-honda-hands_creation#.UeGeENLfCfc and also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWk9N92-wvg

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

It looks like they're even offering the option for adaptive cruise control, making it the least expensive car to offer that feature:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/07/11/mazda3-zoom-zoom/2509683/

Nice for people who spend a lot of time on the highway. It'll be even better once this technology is widespread enough to start reducing traffic jams.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

I just noticed this right now. The new Mazda3 has a HUD, and not the lame project-on-windscreen one like a BMW, an actual honest to god glass targeting reticule. It pops up.

The next new Audi better loving have a helmet mounted display to let you see the road beneath your feet. :f35:

Is this their solution so that people over 6ft tall don't have to bend down to see how fast they're going? Neat. For some reason Mazda 3s and 6s have had this very weird geometry between the top of the steering wheel and the gauge cluster making it impossible for me to see the top of the gauges without ending up in some horribly uncomfortable position. Why Mazda?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'd rather have a solution for seeing out the top of the windshield. When I have to crane my neck down at half the lights I stop at to see when it changes... well, it gets old after a while.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
I think they make stickers that you can put on the top part of your windshield to help you see lights better. I can't think of what they are called for the life of me though.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

oRenj9 posted:

I think they make stickers that you can put on the top part of your windshield to help you see lights better. I can't think of what they are called for the life of me though.

Sunroofs

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Are you having a stroke?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

oRenj9 posted:

Fresnel lens.

I like the old dash mounted one that Lobsterboyx has in his old Buick.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

You're joking, but I actually hate sunroofs with a burning passion; the enclosure for the mechanism and rails lowers the ceiling height inside the car, leaving me with even less headroom than non-sunroof models. t:mad:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Powershift posted:

Are you having a stroke?

No, I was making this joke

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sudo Echo posted:

Is this their solution so that people over 6ft tall don't have to bend down to see how fast they're going? Neat. For some reason Mazda 3s and 6s have had this very weird geometry between the top of the steering wheel and the gauge cluster making it impossible for me to see the top of the gauges without ending up in some horribly uncomfortable position. Why Mazda?

Nearly every single car with an adjustable steering column is like this for me. I like having the wheel low and near perpendicular to the ground which always cuts off the top section of the speedo.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

In Australia the Mazda3 is the best selling car in its segment (and occasionally the best selling car for a month), beating the Civic, Corolla, Focus and Golf. There are so many of them on the road these days it has turned me off from buying one

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Fucknag posted:

I'd rather have a solution for seeing out the top of the windshield. When I have to crane my neck down at half the lights I stop at to see when it changes... well, it gets old after a while.

Mazdas do seem to be for short people, I usually look over the windshield of my nb miata to see lights and I'm only 6'1".

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

You Am I posted:

In Australia the Mazda3 is the best selling car in its segment (and occasionally the best selling car for a month), beating the Civic, Corolla, Focus and Golf. There are so many of them on the road these days it has turned me off from buying one

The Mazda3 is also one of the most popular cars in Canada as well (the Civic is still inexplicably holding on, but Canadians are slow to shift brand loyalties). It surprises me that it wouldn't be the same in the US.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

(the Civic is still inexplicably holding on, but Canadians are slow to shift brand loyalties).

The Civic is a fantastic car for most people's needs. It's safe, economical, and reliable. It has a roomy and comfortable interior with great sight lines, tons of storage cubbies, and big cup holders. And the goofy, two tiered IP puts the only two gauges most drivers care about--speedometer and fuel level--right in the driver's sight line. It may not handle as well as a Focus, 3, or 90s Civic, but it doesn't wallow around like the Corolla or shudder and bounce like the Elantra. Honda's stellar reputation doesn't hurt matters.

The Mazda 3 is the true successor to the great Civics of the 90s in terms of combining value and fun, especially if these rumors about the next MS3 having a high revving NA motor instead of the current turbo setup are true (rumors I take with a dry seabed of salt). But Mazda's reputation isn't as good as Honda's, and the Civic is still great, just in different ways.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Linedance posted:

Nearly every single car with an adjustable steering column is like this for me. I like having the wheel low and near perpendicular to the ground which always cuts off the top section of the speedo.

same and I always feel like I'm a wierdo. They should tilt the drat gauges with the wheel.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

The Mazda3 is also one of the most popular cars in Canada as well (the Civic is still inexplicably holding on, but Canadians are slow to shift brand loyalties). It surprises me that it wouldn't be the same in the US.

Canada is a surprisingly different car market then the big US markets.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The Datsun brand has officially been revived as a budget car, at least for the Indian market, and probably some more in the future.
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-autos-nissan-datsun-go-20130715,0,7683911.story

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

same and I always feel like I'm a wierdo. They should tilt the drat gauges with the wheel.

Infinity G's and their related Nissan Z's do this. It's pretty cool.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

PeterWeller posted:

The Civic is a fantastic car for most people's needs. It's safe, economical, and reliable. It has a roomy and comfortable interior with great sight lines, tons of storage cubbies, and big cup holders. And the goofy, two tiered IP puts the only two gauges most drivers care about--speedometer and fuel level--right in the driver's sight line. It may not handle as well as a Focus, 3, or 90s Civic, but it doesn't wallow around like the Corolla or shudder and bounce like the Elantra. Honda's stellar reputation doesn't hurt matters.

The Mazda 3 is the true successor to the great Civics of the 90s in terms of combining value and fun, especially if these rumors about the next MS3 having a high revving NA motor instead of the current turbo setup are true (rumors I take with a dry seabed of salt). But Mazda's reputation isn't as good as Honda's, and the Civic is still great, just in different ways.

The problem with a Mazda 3 is they rust like an 70's Honda Civic. Especially in Canada which is why you are more likely to see a 90's Civic on the road here then an early gen. 3.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

PeterWeller posted:

Infinity G's and their related Nissan Z's do this. It's pretty cool.

drat now I really want to try a 370.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

PeterWeller posted:

I don't know about that; I had the misfortune of driving a 2011 Mazda3 2.0 a couple years ago; I found it to be a singularly bland and uninspiring car to drive. It simply doesn't hold a candle to those old Civics; it doesn't even hold a candle to the '02 Civic my mom had at the time - the generation of Civic that started the litany of criticisms against Honda.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

MrChips posted:

I don't know about that; I had the misfortune of driving a 2011 Mazda3 2.0 a couple years ago; I found it to be a singularly bland and uninspiring car to drive. It simply doesn't hold a candle to those old Civics; it doesn't even hold a candle to the '02 Civic my mom had at the time - the generation of Civic that started the litany of criticisms against Honda.

I've only ever driven a first gen MS3 and a first gen S with the 2.3, and they were both fun (kinda scary fun in the MS3's case), but they were high(er) end sport(ier) trims. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the base models are just as poo poo as any other poo poo box.

love on the cheap
Aug 5, 2008
-wrong thread-

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

MrChips posted:

I don't know about that; I had the misfortune of driving a 2011 Mazda3 2.0 a couple years ago; I found it to be a singularly bland and uninspiring car to drive. It simply doesn't hold a candle to those old Civics;

Those old Civics weighed like 2400lbs or less and had double wishbone suspension all-around. The Mazda3 weighs 600lbs more and has the same suspension compromises that every other economy car does. It's hardly fair to compare the two. If you were to compare a new Civic with a new Madza3, the winner would be clear.

The Civics of the 90s were automotive anomalies.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Does anyone want to venture a guess as to when the manual will be available with the 2.5 in the new Mazda3? Because that is essentially my ideal car. None of the stuff I'm reading about the car says anything about a time frame for that.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

oRenj9 posted:

Those old Civics weighed like 2400lbs or less and had double wishbone suspension all-around. The Mazda3 weighs 600lbs more and has the same suspension compromises that every other economy car does. It's hardly fair to compare the two. If you were to compare a new Civic with a new Madza3, the winner would be clear.

The Civics of the 90s were automotive anomalies.

If you compare the handling of a new car to a few choice 80's to 90's era cars, you will probably hate every new car. All cars have a price point, and to meet those compromises must be made. Over time where those compromises are usually made have changed. Buyers and regulations have shifted toward a focus on safety and fuel economy, moreso in commuter cars like the civic and mazda3.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
I think the Fit is the closest successor to the 90's Civics. Sure it has a cheap suspension (struts up front, torsion beam rear) but it only weighs 2500 pounds and it handles very well. And the L15A7 is great and feels just like a vtec D15. The Fit feels pretty much like some time-warped in a 90's honda and put new body panels on it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

I just had a new Golf from zipcar, so far it has been the worst for this. I took a picture from my perspective. The camera was a little in front of my face, so in practice I could see slightly more of the speedo (up to about 50mph!).

This is after I'd adjusted everything to my comfort. I suppose, being German and all, they probably expect you to adjust yourself to the car's comfort.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Yeah, basically the Fit is the equivalent of the old Civic, and the Civic is the equivalent of the old Accord.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

lazer_chicken posted:

I think the Fit is the closest successor to the 90's Civics. Sure it has a cheap suspension (struts up front, torsion beam rear) but it only weighs 2500 pounds and it handles very well. And the L15A7 is great and feels just like a vtec D15. The Fit feels pretty much like some time-warped in a 90's honda and put new body panels on it.

It even comes in 90s teal. It would be nice if they had one that slotted in between the Civic and Fit that provided nicer suspension and maybe a little bit zingier gearbox.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
One of the interesting tests for a car is how good the cheap one is, rather than the expensive/fast model. If they can make it so that good, fun handling is inherent to the design, even on low-powered models, rather than being the result of completely reworking the thing, they're probably doing the job right. This is where the Italians have always been quite good, making small, cheap cars that are a hoot to drive, despite not having any real poke.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

One of the interesting tests for a car is how good the cheap one is, rather than the expensive/fast model. If they can make it so that good, fun handling is inherent to the design, even on low-powered models, rather than being the result of completely reworking the thing, they're probably doing the job right. This is where the Italians have always been quite good, making small, cheap cars that are a hoot to drive, despite not having any real poke.

The French, too. Remember the Citroën AX, Peugeot 205 and 106 and Renault Clio. Suspension built to handle the GTI engines, even in the 1.0 variants.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Linedance posted:

I just had a new Golf from zipcar, so far it has been the worst for this. I took a picture from my perspective. The camera was a little in front of my face, so in practice I could see slightly more of the speedo (up to about 50mph!).

This is after I'd adjusted everything to my comfort. I suppose, being German and all, they probably expect you to adjust yourself to the car's comfort.

That is literally the worst. My mom's Fiat 500 is really bad for that too. Plus the retarded circular all in one gauge compounds the problem. The revs are a smaller gauge inside the speedo, and yes, it is easy to confuse which hand is which.

Then there is the visibility in that thing. As Richard Hammond described it, "The visibility is quite good.. Say, next to having a bag over your head, or being blind."
In the cabriolet you can't see anything behind you shy of 8ft tall. It is also literally impossible to check your blind spot. The first time I drove it, I stuck my head out of the window when I had to merge left.

It seems to be a fairly common theme in cars which are mostly quite good. They just throw poo poo around without thinking about how good it is for the driver.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
It isn't costs that make modern cars no fun. It is electric steering, eco gas saver tires and rear camber settings set up so that a car will always understeer no matter what happens.

Take a dull car, put sticky tires, camber bolts, and a rear sway bar on it and it will be ten times more fun in corners.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

It even comes in 90s teal. It would be nice if they had one that slotted in between the Civic and Fit that provided nicer suspension and maybe a little bit zingier gearbox.

Yeah I love my Fit but I would kill for a Fit Si with a 6-speed, IRS, and another 50hp. Ford did this with the Fiesta, make it happen Honda! FYI the K-series is a straight swap into the Fit :getin:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
There is the City too which is basically like a Fit sedan.

Not that I see the appeal - the Civic (even the sedan) is better to drive than the fit, as are any number of other Fit-sized cars (Swift, 2, Fiesta etc). I can only imagine the North American Civic has been screwed up if so many people think otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of the Fit:

Three different engine configs (at least for Japan):
1.3L with a CVT
1.5L RS with a six-speed manual
1.5L Hybrid with a 7-speed dual clutch trans

Edit: Automotive News reports a subcompact sedan and crossover based on the Fit Hybrid's tech will be coming to the US instead of the Fit Hybrid itself. Lame.

Automotive News posted:

While the United States is not expected to get the hybrid version of the standard Fit five-door, hybrid versions of a Fit-based small crossover and sedan are planned for the United States. Those vehicles are expected to arrive as early as next year.

The US Fit hatch appears to likely be getting only the 1.5L direct injection engine with a CVT.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 19, 2013