Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

BrianBoitano posted:

From my wife, who got it from an Insta story I believe

Ingredients (makes 16 oz lemonade base)
3 tablespoons lemon zest
1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice, about 6-8 large juicy lemons total
1/2 cup sugar

Instructions
1. Zest 3 lemons in a bowl, making sure you avoid the pith (soft white part of the lemon). You should be left with 3 tablespoons lemon zest. Add the sugar and rub the two together using your fingers, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until fragrant. The lemon zest is filled with aromatic oils that'll take the flavor of your lemonade to the next level.

2. Roll the lemons on the work surface using your palm, pressing them down. This will make them easier to squeeze. Juice 6 to 8 lemons in the bowl, you should have about 1 1/2 cups lemon juice. Store the mixture in a container, in the fridge.

3. To make the lemonade, mix 1 part mixture and 4 to 6 parts water, to taste. Add ice and garnish with fresh lemon slices.

We made this twice this weekend, once for a party and once again because a person dumped out ~a quart of leftover while cleaning up because he thought we weren't going to keep it. So made another batch for home.
Do you strain the mixture after combining with lemon juice to get the solid lemon zest out, or keep it in? Or does it sort of dissolve together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I would strain it, to get the lemon pulp out too. The zest is tasty though - kind of like a Sour Patch Kid. I worked with a crafty individual who would take my leftover peels and use them in marmalades, or dry them and pulverize them for baking with.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Scythe posted:

I'm not seeing any artificial coloring in Squirt. It does have HFCS but what doesn't. IMO it makes a much better Paloma than grapefruit Jarritos, also.

Looks like Mexican squirt is all sugar

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
The best soda for a Paloma is actually San Pelligrino pompelmo in my (objectively correct) opinion

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

PRADA SLUT posted:

Looks like Mexican squirt is all sugar

No it's pee

wait what are we talking about

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Has anyone ever tried a tonic syrup concentrate? My partner likes drinking tonic straight or with some bitters, I was wondering if the concentrate was a worthwhile upgrade over Canada Dry (or I suppose Fever Tree) or whatever.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Q's grapefruit soda is really tasty

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Anonymous Robot posted:

Has anyone ever tried a tonic syrup concentrate? My partner likes drinking tonic straight or with some bitters, I was wondering if the concentrate was a worthwhile upgrade over Canada Dry (or I suppose Fever Tree) or whatever.

&tonic is fantastic

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Mexican Squirt is actually the only squirt I’ve had, I think. It rules and the bottle is fun.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Anonymous Robot posted:

How to Drink just did a video on exactly this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk8_3Z0Rce8

I'm currently accumulating materials to make Morganthaler's home made tonic.

Strange Matter fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 22, 2022

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Strange Matter posted:

How to Drink just did a video on exactly this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk8_3Z0Rce8

I love How to Drink because Greg reminds me EXACTLY of one of my college friends. It's uncanny.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’ve changed my tune on Negronis and enjoy them now!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there anything specific fig syrup is good in, besides a simple sub?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Professor Shark posted:

I’ve changed my tune on Negronis and enjoy them now!

I'm glad to hear that you've recovered from your illness.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Cosmos are good and I won’t listen anyone tell me they aren’t.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The original cosmo spec is pretty tasty imo

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I did the diffords spec which was a little juiced up. It was a better option for my moscato-drinking in laws.

1oz vodka
1oz Cointreau
1.5 oz cranberry juice
0.5 oz lime
Dash orange bitters

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Why would a cosmo be bad other than the fact that it uses vodka which is basically pointless? I’m saying I like cosmos.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I don’t bother keeping flavored vodkas around but find a citrusy gin makes a nice Cosmo.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Why would a cosmo be bad other than the fact that it uses vodka which is basically pointless? I’m saying I like cosmos.

I'd add that it has cranberry juice. So that and vodka is a very bad start.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Booties posted:

I did the diffords spec which was a little juiced up. It was a better option for my moscato-drinking in laws.

1oz vodka
1oz Cointreau
1.5 oz cranberry juice
0.5 oz lime
Dash orange bitters

A cosmo should have Citron vodka, otherwise I really don't think you can call it a cosmo

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I guess I should have clarified that I am enjoying what I call a Negroni now, which is really just a super up Grapefruit Negroni, with the juice of half a grapefruit (Google says btw 2.5 and 3 oz of juice) with the usual Negroni ingredients.

I love grapefruit so it works really well for me!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Grapefruit and Campari work well off of each other. I often do a 2-1-2 as a long drink, with grapefruit juice, Campari, and tequila. Very refreshing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Campari" and "orange" are a pretty well ingrained association in my head, so it seems natural grapefruit would work well along similar lines.

It's weird how lemon and lime are so similar but complement different drinks very differently.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I liked Lillet Blanc so much that when I finally found Cocchi Americano I bought two bottles without having tried it before, having heard it was similar. I had opened a bottle a month or two ago to use in a cocktail but I hadn't really touched it since. I figured I'd have a glass on the rocks since that's how I consumed most of my Lillet and Dubonnet and hoo boy do not really like that at all. Not great! I was afraid that the bottle had gone bad despite being refrigerated with a vacuum stopper so I opened the other bottle and nope, about the same. What's a good way for me to use all of this? :v:

I guess I could try to suffer through drinking all of it and maybe after a bottle or two I'll have acquired the taste? Maybe add a little simple?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

my kinda ape posted:

I liked Lillet Blanc so much that when I finally found Cocchi Americano I bought two bottles without having tried it before, having heard it was similar. I had opened a bottle a month or two ago to use in a cocktail but I hadn't really touched it since. I figured I'd have a glass on the rocks since that's how I consumed most of my Lillet and Dubonnet and hoo boy do not really like that at all. Not great! I was afraid that the bottle had gone bad despite being refrigerated with a vacuum stopper so I opened the other bottle and nope, about the same. What's a good way for me to use all of this? :v:

I guess I could try to suffer through drinking all of it and maybe after a bottle or two I'll have acquired the taste? Maybe add a little simple?

Welcome to my adventures with Calvados.

I just suffer through drinking it when I don't want to waste anything good.

I have yet to find a flavor combination that works with it. I can't hide the off-putting funk with sweetness, it just lingers. Anything strong enough to hide the flavor is gonna be something like absinthe that dominates anything regardless.

It reminds me of kreiks and goses. Sure some people apparently drink them, but they taste like fermented rear end in a top hat to me.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Yeah, americanos (the type of aromatized fortified wine, not the long aperitivo drink or the coffee drink) as a category are defined by the inclusion of gentian, so they’re more bitter than a lot of other similar things.

Before you try simple, first try soda and orange peel and make sure it’s very cold. Or try a couple olives, even.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
Personally I feel like cocchi americano is unequivocally better than lillet in every way but it’s probably because I have the kind of broken taste buds that make me enjoy malort and pelinkovac

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

eSports Chaebol posted:

Personally I feel like cocchi americano is unequivocally better than lillet in every way but it’s probably because I have the kind of broken taste buds that make me enjoy malort and pelinkovac

One of my local place now has barrel aged malort.

I like it, but I don't think the BA does anything for it.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Mix it with vermouth and seltzer maybe? The Americano route is a cocktail style I use a lot for all sorts of amaro and it might mellow the offensive parts enough. I'd go heavy in the vermouth. Otherwise send it to me? I love cocchi as well.

Carillon fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 26, 2022

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Man, I miss having easily available amaro and other bitters. Anyone in Utah want to split some cases hahaha. We can get lots of good stuff, but unfortunately have to buy it by the case

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Very recently I have decided to dive into the deep in with rum. I purchased Appleton 12, 15 and 21. All of which were good, but did not scratch that funk that I'm looking for. I have bottles of Probitas for making Daiquiris, Smith & Cross, Clement VSOP, Plantation Pineapple & OFTD for Mai Tais (I was experimenting with the ratios). The Probitas alone is very good and does has enough funk for me. I also have a Dr. Bird which is probably my favorite out of all of these. Where do I go from here as far as sipping rums are concerned?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Get into the wide world of small production ultra funky Haitian rhum. The weirder or more esoteric the bottle, the better you're going to like it. I got a bottle of Boukman recently, which is a botanical rhum (like, made with gin stuff) and it's wiiiiiild. If you want to stay with Jamaica though, I've been having a good time with Hampden Estate. Finishing up The Younger right now, and even at 5 years that is a crazy complex rum.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Get some Hamiltons? Those are more geared towards mixing, though.
For haitian try https://rumratings.com/rum/7141-clairin-le-rocher It's pretty intense.
You might also want to get an El Dorado.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Get into the wide world of small production ultra funky Haitian rhum. The weirder or more esoteric the bottle, the better you're going to like it. I got a bottle of Boukman recently, which is a botanical rhum (like, made with gin stuff) and it's wiiiiiild. If you want to stay with Jamaica though, I've been having a good time with Hampden Estate. Finishing up The Younger right now, and even at 5 years that is a crazy complex rum.

Waltzing Along posted:

Get some Hamiltons? Those are more geared towards mixing, though.
For haitian try https://rumratings.com/rum/7141-clairin-le-rocher It's pretty intense.
You might also want to get an El Dorado.

No Boukman at my local shop. I was able to pick up a Hamilton 8 and Hamilton LROK The Younger. The Clairin Le Rocher is interesting, will have to hunt this down another day though.

What is up with the Hamilton stuff? Just some dude who's a purveyor of single casks like Foursquare?

Was able to take a pour of the El Dorado 12. It's sweet, round and dangerously easy drinking. No funk in this thing, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it reminds me of bourbon.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

obi_ant posted:

No Boukman at my local shop. I was able to pick up a Hamilton 8 and Hamilton LROK The Younger. The Clairin Le Rocher is interesting, will have to hunt this down another day though.

What is up with the Hamilton stuff? Just some dude who's a purveyor of single casks like Foursquare?

Was able to take a pour of the El Dorado 12. It's sweet, round and dangerously easy drinking. No funk in this thing, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it reminds me of bourbon.

Pretty sure he tells his story in this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ljC673n3Wo

Hamilton, that is.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

obi_ant posted:

The 15 is even easier.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I stopped at the liquor store near work to pick up a white rum and they had El Dorado 3 Year on sale for 15 bucks :cheers:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Carillon posted:

Mix it with vermouth and seltzer maybe?

This worked pretty well. Good idea thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Hampden LROK - Funky, strawberries, rubber cement, new Payless shoes.
Hampden 8 - Vanilla, fruit punch, canned cocktail, hot tarmac. The finish reminds me of a lot of bourbons I've had.

These were great! I'm leaning more towards the LROK, although the 8 is pretty close to it.

Just watched the video of and I like the guy, might buy some of his stuff a little later on as my wife was giving me the side eye...