Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

toplitzin posted:

Anyone smoked a heart before?

Thoughts of treating it like a burnt ends ala Fat Internet Guy?

I'm making it for a party, so small snackable burnt end cubes are much more appealing than say shredded or sliced smoked pieces.
Worst case I jsut do pork belly burnt ends, but I like feeding people offal.

I'm sorry I have no advice, but the first line in your post gave me a deep belly laugh. Now I have imagery of Temple of Doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm sorry I have no advice, but the first line in your post gave me a deep belly laugh. Now I have imagery of Temple of Doom.

Every time I buy one I have to squeeze it while muttering Kali Ma Kali Ma Kali Ma!

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Whooping Crabs posted:

Agreed and I also strongly recommend the steelhead from Costco for smoking. It's like $7.99 a pound and comes skin-on so you get all of that fat from the skin rendering into your meat. Also cutting your giant fish slab into smaller pieces after the cure increases the surface area that smoke will adhere to, so you will get a smokier fish. I use Alton Brown's recipe mentioned a few posts ago.

I actually prefer the larger non steelhead salmon from costco. I get the most hugest skinless slabs and cut them down to potion sizes before dry brining overnight. Used to do complicated brine concoctions, but now just do brown sugar and kosher salt.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

toplitzin posted:

Anyone smoked a heart before?

Thoughts of treating it like a burnt ends ala Fat Internet Guy?

I'm making it for a party, so small snackable burnt end cubes are much more appealing than say shredded or sliced smoked pieces.
Worst case I jsut do pork belly burnt ends, but I like feeding people offal.

What kind of heart do you plan to use? With hunting season starting to get in gear Im hoping to have a few deer and pig hearts on hand over the next few months and Im super interested to see how this goes.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Mooo

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

How old is he?

14 :sigh:

My last Tri tip (first one on my smoker), he said “hey this is so good I don’t need ketchup on it! Only douse it in BBQ sauce!”

I did get a laugh out of that.

DiggityDoink posted:

I'm living with my cousin and her 10yo twins right now and the two of them put ketchup on the carne asada I made for tacos. I called them out on their heresy but they just laughed and smiled while they doused the tacos in tomato/sugar blasphemy.

Apparently their dad does it and they've been brought up to do the same.

I have 6mo twins. They will be brought up better. If I survive.

My wife said she used to ketchup her steak when she was a kid, I’m guessing it’s a phase. I’ve never really liked ketchup on anything, so I can’t relate.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Wait you have 6-month-old twins? How do you have time to smoke? I’ve been pushing it off because I have a ten-month-old!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

nwin posted:

Wait you have 6-month-old twins? How do you have time to smoke? I’ve been pushing it off because I have a ten-month-old!

I try to prep it during the 14-second window where one or the other or both aren’t going nuclear.

They’re actually really good babies and they play a lot. We definitely lucked out. I’m also on my 2-month paternity leave right now, so I’m home all day for the time being. Makes it a bit easier.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

14 :sigh:

My last Tri tip (first one on my smoker), he said “hey this is so good I don’t need ketchup on it! Only douse it in BBQ sauce!”

I did get a laugh out of that.

I have 6mo twins. They will be brought up better. If I survive.

My wife said she used to ketchup her steak when she was a kid, I’m guessing it’s a phase. I’ve never really liked ketchup on anything, so I can’t relate.

Heh, why I asked at the age to see if it is a phase. Only time I use ketchup is if I use it as a bbq base. Like you, never really liked it. Just think, he'll be driving soon!

At the end of the day you can't please everyone. I live by the "different strokes for different folks" but when a friend invited me out for dinner at Ruth's Chris and ordered a filet well-done I felt like crawling underneath the table. At least no ketchup or A1 was involved.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Heart chat for real, hearts have zero fat and I would imagine they would become an inedible rubbery mess.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

McSpankWich posted:

Heart chat for real, hearts have zero fat and I would imagine they would become an inedible rubbery mess.

Agreed. I usually just marinate and sear to medium rare. I think the best play if you wanted to do this in a smoker would be if you have something that can get you to a high temp.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I've done them grilled before, I was just trying to change it up and make it more appealing to non-offlers.
I did lingua last time with great success.
I'll probably do fat guy burnt ends, and super thinly sliced heart grilled for seconds with a asian-esque dip/mop/sauce

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Dumb question, is there a way to properly slice heart? Like is there a grain?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Colostomy Bag posted:

Heh, why I asked at the age to see if it is a phase. Only time I use ketchup is if I use it as a bbq base. Like you, never really liked it. Just think, he'll be driving soon!

At the end of the day you can't please everyone. I live by the "different strokes for different folks" but when a friend invited me out for dinner at Ruth's Chris and ordered a filet well-done I felt like crawling underneath the table. At least no ketchup or A1 was involved.

My rule has always* been taste it first. If it needs something, it needs something.

*I inherited this rule from my wife who complained I was putting balsamic vinegar and/or parmaggiano on too many things before I'd even tried them.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

Dumb question, is there a way to properly slice heart? Like is there a grain?

Vertically by ventricle, and then however you like.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Um.. Yuck.

I wonder what you could name the dish. Hunk of burning love? My heart burns for you?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Canuckistan posted:

Um.. Yuck.

I wonder what you could name the dish. Hunk of burning love? My heart burns for you?

Ventrigrill

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Canuckistan posted:

Um.. Yuck.

I use them to make pepperoni

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Hearts are great for chili or sausage. Gives it a strong, beefy flavor.

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

Hearts are even better for anticuchos. Marinate for 24 hours in a mix of aji panca paste, cumin, oregano, garlic and salt and pepper then put on skewers and grill over charcoal, basting with the marinade.

Man I love Peruvian food...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I kinda laugh at myself where I mentally draw the line on what I'll eat. I love fried chicken livers and gizzards but can't do heart.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Hearts are great for chili or sausage. Gives it a strong, beefy flavor.

Yeah! The last time I put heart in chilli I had a hard time eating my bowl, i got 2 meals out of it.

It was really hearty.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Yeah! The last time I put heart in chilli I had a hard time eating my bowl, i got 2 meals out of it.

It was really hearty.

Dude

Epic Mount
Jun 18, 2007
I am looking at a 700 Sq inch Pitt boss and the 1000sq inch. Size wise for a family of three and occasional party with 10-15 people. Would 700 be ok? 3-4 slabs of ribs, or a pork shoulder, tri tip, maybe a turkey? Not all at once of course.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Epic Mount posted:

I am looking at a 700 Sq inch Pitt boss and the 1000sq inch. Size wise for a family of three and occasional party with 10-15 people. Would 700 be ok? 3-4 slabs of ribs, or a pork shoulder, tri tip, maybe a turkey? Not all at once of course.

I have the 1100 xl. On the main section you can easily fit a spatchcocked turkey and use the top shelf for veg or two racks of ribs. I have head a full packers brisket and 4 racks of ribs on it at once and I have had 4 spatchcocked chickens at once.

I can feed about 20 people with mine without an issue. So for the 100 bucks more I think it’s worth it if you have the funds.

Epic Mount
Jun 18, 2007
I'll go with the 1000. Just couldn't picture in my head if that was unnecessarily large.

Off to scoop it up and ruin a beautiful piece of meat on my first attempt!

Thanks!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Go with pulled pork to start. It's practically impossible to screw it up.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Alright, so I smoked my first pork butt on my traeger last weekend. It was 6lbs and the general number I see is 2 hours/pound. I pulled it from the fridge, dry-rubbed it, then stuck it on at 8:30am.

I had the smoker set to 225, and it took around 9-10 hours before it even hit 155. At that point, I pulled it, wrapped it in foil, and my recipe called for 2 cups of apple cider to be poured in the foil pouch, then put back on at 225 still. The probe temp didn’t hit 205 until 3am, about 19 hours after I originally put it on. Toward the end, it was only going up 1-2 degrees per hour. After it was done, I let it rest for an hour, pulled it, stuck it in the fridge for dinner later that day and finally went to bed. :sigh:

I’m wondering why the hell it took so long. Did I just under-estimate the cook time by a ton, or did the apple cider at the stall really extend the cook time that much?

It was delicious, but man did that take forever.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Yeah that's far too much liquid for a pork butt and especially at 225. Wrapping it is enough.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I have never used liquid / wrap with a pork butt it's got more than enough fat to keep it moist. That much liquid is just a huge stall creator..

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Epic Mount posted:

I'll go with the 1000. Just couldn't picture in my head if that was unnecessarily large.

Off to scoop it up and ruin a beautiful piece of meat on my first attempt!

Thanks!

nobody ever ends up saying to themselves, wow, glad i got the smaller smoker with less capacity

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I can't fit a full packer on my smoker and I hate it. I don't smoke a lot of beef, but I miss having the option for brisket at big events.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

BraveUlysses posted:

nobody ever ends up saying to themselves, wow, glad i got the smaller smoker with less capacity

Hrmm.. I only use the full capacity of my WSM 22.5 once or twice a year. A smaller unit that uses less fuel would be better for 90% of my cooks.

So I got a 22 weber kettle! Now a single batch of moinks or smoked beef ribs are much more practical.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Ventrigrill is coming!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I got the smaller traeger because I assumed the larger one would chew through the pellets quicker.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I love the 24" kamado for its fuel efficiency. I don't feel like I'm wasting charcoal at all, it just barely needs topping off when I start the thing, even on 12 hour+ cooks.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I’m leaning towards the 40” versus the 30” MES because that’s what everyone on some smoker forums is saying (never regretted going bigger). Even though it’s just for my wife and I, it seems like that seems like the smarter choice in case I want to do a full rack of ribs or smoke for a lot of people. I don’t *think* the electricity costs would be that much higher?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Go big. I have regrets on going bigger at times, but when I want to smoke 10 racks of ribs or 6 butts it's totally worth it.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

nwin posted:

I’m leaning towards the 40” versus the 30” MES because that’s what everyone on some smoker forums is saying (never regretted going bigger). Even though it’s just for my wife and I, it seems like that seems like the smarter choice in case I want to do a full rack of ribs or smoke for a lot of people. I don’t *think* the electricity costs would be that much higher?

I think the 40” has a more powerful heating element too, which could be nice on cold and/or windy days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

toplitzin posted:

Ventrigrill is coming!

Post pics of the result please

/edit: Also, recipe