Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

:
That time of year thou mayst in us behold
When yellow leaves, or none, or few, do hang
Upon those boughs which shake against the cold,
Bare ruin’d bleachers, where late the wild fans sang.
In us thou see’st the twilight of such day
As after sunset fadeth in the west;
Which by and by black night doth take away,
Death’s second self, that seals up all in rest.
In us thou see’st the glowing of such fire,
That on the ashes of our youth doth lie,
In the division wherein it must expire
Consum’d with that which it was nourish’d by.
This thou perceiv’st, which makes my team more strong,
To play that well when we must leave ere long.

:
Is it stagnancy and neglect robbing us of virility, or my propensity for blowing playoff games?

Super League XI

code:
#1 CF: Tris Speaker ('11 Red Sox)
#2 LF: Barry Bonds ('91 Pirates)
#3 1B: Frank Thomas ('92 White Sox)
#4 DH: Ted Williams ('49 Red Sox)
#5 RF: Ty Cobb ('27 Athletics) / Vladimir Guerrero ('98 Expos)
#6 3B: Edgar Martinez ('90 Mariners)
#7 C: Yogi Berra ('58 Yankees) / Gene Tenace ('71 A's)
#8 SS: Lou Boudreau ('46 Indians)
#9 2B: Nap Lajoie (1908 Naps)
Bench:
code:
2B "Little" Joe Morgan (1975 Reds)
IF John Henry "Pop" Lloyd (NLB)
OF Duke Snider ('50 Dodgers)
Pitching:
code:
SP: Nolan Ryan ('80 Astros)
SP: Smokey Joe Williams (NLB)
SP: Addie Joss (1907 Naps)
SP: Dazzy Vance ('24 Robins)
SP: Curt Schilling (2003 Diamondbacks)

CL: Rollie Fingers ('82 Brewers)
SU: Rollie Fingers ('75 A's)
SR: Alfredo Aceves (2010 Yankees)
SR: John Hiller ('70 Tigers)
MR: Terry Mulholland ('94 Yankees)
LR: Orel Hershiser ('90 Dodgers)
Minors:
code:
C  Ramón Hernández (2004 Padres)
C  Earl Battey ('64 Twins)
C  Thurman Munson ('73 Yankees)
1B John Olerud (2001 Mariners)
1B Ferris Fain ('48 A's)
1B Paul Konerko (2005 White Sox)
2B Red Schoendienst ('49 Cardinals)
SS Barry Larkin ('87 Reds)
UT Lance Berkman (2010 Yankees)
UT Jason Giambi ('96 A's)
IF Placido Polanco (2004 Phillies)
IF Michael Young (2011 Rangers)
IF Omar Infante (2010 Braves)
IF Scott Fletcher ('87 Rangers)
OF Eric Davis ('90 Reds) 
OF Kiki Cuyler ('26 Pirates)
OF Carl Furillo ('50 Dodgers)
CI/LF Chipper Jones (2003 Braves)

SP Cole Hamels (2011 Phillies)
SP Jose Rijo ('90 Reds)
SP Juan Guzman ('92 Blue Jays) 
SP J.R. Richard ('76 Astros) [richaj.01]
SW Bob Feller ('54 Indians)
RP Kerry Wood (2008 Cubs)
RP Eric Gagne (2000 Dodgers)
RP Alfredo Aceves (2011 Red Sox)
RP Kaz Sasaki (2003 Mariners)
Deep, Irrelevant Minors/Mascot Storage:
code:
1B Kevin Millar (2007 Orioles)
1B Don Mincher ('64 Twins)
OF Jim Piersall ('55 Red Sox)
OF Austin Kearns (2006 Reds)
SW Vicente Padilla (2005 Phillies)
Stadium: Sumitomo Mitsui Group Park, a near copy of Philadelphia's Citizens Bank Park, which, owing to a slight misunderstanding regarding the phrase 'sky-high real estate,' is located at great expense atop an office complex called TOOTBLAN Towers, built on the smoldering ruins of the Fukuoka Dome.

Strategy:

-Using the Hit and Run -2
-Using Sacrifice Bunts -4
-Using Squeeze Plays -4
-Going for extra bases -3
-Trying to steal bases -2
-Aggressively tagging up on fly outs -1
-Pitching out to batters to try and prevent stolen bases -3
-Issuing intentional walks -4
-Pitching around good hitters -3
-Bringing the infield in to guard against bunts +1
-Guarding the lines +2
-Making cutoff throws +2
-Bringing in pinch hitters -2
-Bringing in pinch runners -2
-Bringing in defensive replacements +2
-Starting pitchers on short rest +1
-Letting your pitchers try and pitch through trouble +1
-Letting your pitchers rack up high pitch counts +3

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Rosters are now officially locked for Super-League XI!

You can still make trades, but you can't call any players up from your feeders until next offseason.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Since you think Rijo deserves a starting position I'll lift him from bullpen hell and slot him in the Tiant's slot, pushing Tiant to 5th and sending Moore to LR. I guess I'll put Brian Wilson to SU and call up whichever of my reserve RPs in the minors that look least bad once I see the stats. Make Campy Rijo's personal catcher.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I'm guessing a 32 man script is required.. so here it is: http://pastebin.com/bNWtSGzF No new features to report. Remember rightload can automatically wrap your post in img tags.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

The Critically-Outsourced, Mostly-Accurate, Some-Assembly-Required, 20%-More-Anime Super League XI Preview: Sir Transit Vir Division

Last Season, on Sir Transit Vir...

The Somali Pirates beat the CERN Colliders in a one-game playoff to secure a championship spot in the Super-League finals. While CERN, losing said game, were guaranteed a Wildcard Playoff spot… where they immediately lost to the Florida Oranges, which isn’t the worst fate you can imagine. The Somali Pirates would make it to the Super-League Finals, where they would be defeated by mrnoun’s band of cosmic roaming misfits in the form of the Galactic Wanderers. The Oklahoma City Bombers were just kind of there, hanging on for dear life… which they got, despite being killed in the Gauntlet Round From Hell, by the sacrifice of the up-and-coming Bhopal Disasters. The Cleveland Unicorns and Leicester Hunchbacks were murdered early in the season thanks to the Super-Lottery, and the Hunchbacks are probably single-handedly responsible for the inflated wins in their division.

Why Should You Give A poo poo?

1. Brain versus Brawn!

Once again, the Pirates and the Colliders are locked in a bitter war for dominance. The Pirates have excellent fielding skill and a pitching staff that compliments that. Every part of their lineup is fine-tuned to complement and play to the strength of their fielding. The CERN Colliders have two Babe Ruths. TWO! That is more Ruth than any one sane person should have, and despite their penchant for science, the Colliders’ strategy is to smash apart their division with stupid brute force.

2. Conspiracy Can Never Die!
Mentholmoose has returned back from the dead, with a Walter Johnson in tow, and is not necessarily prepared to let the Colliders and Pirates run away with the division this year. Can he pull it off? Maybe. The Bombers are looking a might shape better than they were at the start of SLX.

3. The Return of the Revenant!
Revenant kind of had a bad go of it in SLX, cosnidering the Hunchbacks got Super-Lotteryed, and the result was them acquiring the biggest number of losses since the Stevie Mitch Specials. He’s back and ready to make his mark on STV, for good! Granted, attempting to harness the power of the 90s Indians is a trap too good to resist...

4. The Syndicate Strikes Again!
Marauder has arrived to wreck havoc on the people of Sir Transit Vir, with the Premodernists being a team that managed to make it to the finals of Expansion Cup X. Can the Premodernists be the spanner in the works to a seemingly locked down division?

Catcher

1. '75 Johnny Bench (TUD)
2. '38 Ernie Lombardi (SOM)
3. '67 Joe Torre (OKC)
4. '06 Ivan Rodriguez (PRE)
5. '15 Wally Schang (CER)

Not an abyssmal group, but probably not exactly a great one, either. The Little General wins simply because he can both hit and field well, where as the rest of these guys can only really do one or the other. Ernie edges out Torre because Torre was an even worse fielder than Ernie, and his offensive production hasn't been great, even in his best years in the SL. I-Rod has a better glove than either of them, but I'm not sure by 34 he's still got the mojo to play Catcher, considering the position's demands. Wally Schang isn't bad, but he's been consistently inconsistent, and doesn't have a good enough glove to push him above aging I-Rod.

First Baseman

1. '?? Buck Leonard (SOM)
2. '27 Lou Gehrig (CER)
3. '89 Mark McGwire (OKC)
4. '38 Lou Gehrig (TUD)
5. '99 Rafael Palmiero (PRE)

Not a whole lot of thought to this one. Buck Leonard is probably one of the greatest hitters of the Negro Leagues, and if Smasher's consistent with how he treats him, he'll keep that trend here. Lou Gehrig may be young in 27, but is still probably one of the best 1Bs ever known. I'd personally take 89 McGwire over 38 Gehrig, but Gehrig has a good chance of being better than McGwire if ALS doesn't get to him first. Palmeiro is 34, and was pretty good, but probably not to the level of everyone else in the list.

Second Baseman

1. '15 Eddie Collins (OKC)
2. '87 Lou Whitaker (SOM)
3. '84 Ryne Sandberg (CER)
4. '11 Chase Utley (PRE)
5. '96 Jeff Kent (TUD)

Eddie Collins is still Eddie Collins, even with the deadballer's penalty Mogul slings him with. Lou is probably more an above-average 2B at best, but he's got the best glove of the lot, and he serves as the backbone of the Pirates defense. Without them, they are... well, not nothing, but considerably less threatening. Ryno is consistent, even if it's consistently underwhelming, which is better than what could be said of Utley, who could very well be all over the place. Jeff Kent's bat has not ever done very well in the Super-League, and that's all he really had going for him.

Shortstop

1. '87 Alan Trammell (SOM)
2. '82 Robin Yount (CER)
3. '36 Arky Vaughan (OKC)
4. '11 Honus Wagner (TUD)
5. '96 Hughie Jennings (PRE)

Trammell probably edges out Yount here just because of the 2B-SS dynamic of Trammell and Whitaker is so vital to Somali's defensive prowess. They're a buddy cop duo, and I like to imagine Trammell is the loose cannon one who doesn't play by the rules, compared to Whitaker's by-the-book baseball fundamentalism. Vaughan is pretty good, and will get on base a ton, but comes in just behind Trammell and Yount. Wagner should honestly be in the top spot here, as he's clearly the top talent, but despite how great he managed to persist in real life, Mogul absolutely loathes a 37 year old at Short, and will punish him accordingly. Hughie Jennings is just glad to be here.

Third Baseman

1. '96 John McGraw (PRE)
2. '69 Ron Santo (OKC)
3. '24 Frankie Frisch (SOM)
4. '53 Eddie Mathews (CER)
5. '96 Jim Thome (TUD)

First is probably a tossup here. I'm not sure how good of a fielder McGraw was, though SLRef's stats seem to tell me he's bad. Santo is more well-rounded, but his bat isn't as good as McGraws. The Fordham Flash is there to play a good game of all-glove, no-bat 3B, but he's been more than respectable defensively for that to pay off. Mathews has had good seasons and bad seasons in the SL, and the bad tend to outweigh the good, especially since he's only 21. And then there's Jim Thome. Revenant. I like you. I like your team. I like the fact you're trying to make something of the mid-90s Indians. But let me tell you from experience that nothing good can come from Jim Thome: The Third Baseman. Please put him somewhere else at your earliest convenience. Your pal, Monathin.

Left Fielder

1. '15 Babe Ruth (CER)
2. '89 Rickey Henderson (OKC)
3. '91 Rickey Henderson (SOM)
4. '96 Albert Belle/15 Shoeless Joe Jackson (TUD)
5. '92 Ed Delahanty (PRE)

Ruth is Ruth, even if he's a Ruth who is not yet powered by the wonders of alcohol. Younger Rickey beats Older Rickey. The Belle and Shoeless Joe teamup is interesting, and I kind of have high hopes for it. Ed Delahany is a plenty good Left Fielder, and being ranked #5 here isn't a strike against him, it's just that near everyone else is a marked degree better.

Center Field

1. '14 Ty Cobb (TUD)
2. '86 Barry Bonds (OKC)
3. '85 Rickey Henderson (SOM)
4. '92 Billy Hamilton (PRE)
5. '27 Earle Combs (CER)

Is Ty Cobb the greatest racist rear end in a top hat to ever play Center Field? Probably. At the very least, I'd take him over Baby Bonds, who wasn't quite the Bonds we know yet, and who never really had the arm for Center, before or after the PEDs. He'll probably hit for more power than you expect Baby Barrold's hyper-contact hitting to, which is why he gets the nod over Rickey, who might end up being better at the end of the day, but considering how weirdly Mogul maps Barry's career, it could go either way. Sliding Billy just might end up being better than where he's placed, but the only SL Reference data we have on him is of a version ten years older. Earle Combs, like Delahanty in the previous list, is good, but not good enough to crack past anyone above him.

Right Fielder

1. '27 Babe Ruth (CER)
2. '23 Ty Cobb (PRE)
3. '68 Hank Aaron (TUD)
4. '96 Manny Ramirez (OKC)
5. '01 Billy Hamilton/38 Wally Berger (SOM)

Fairly straightforward. Double-Ruth is Double-Ruth, old Cobb is more consistently a better hitter than just-out-of-prime Hammerin' Hank, who is probably better than young Mannywood. As for the Somali Platoon, I don't expect Old Sliding Billy to make it the whole season, and Wally Berger just can't punch as high as everyone else on this list.

Bench

1. '95 Rafael Palmeiro/'04 Bobby Abreu/'55 Eddie Yost/'38 Spud Davis/'46 Tommy Holmes/Platoon Partner (SOM)
2. '15 Nap Lajoie/'27 Bob Meusel/'74 Steve Garvey/'53 Andy Pafko/'53 Joe Adcock/'27 Tony Lazzeri (CER)
3. '15 Ray Schalk/'65 Ernie Banks/'95 John Valentin/'36 Pie Traynor/'06 Ken Griffey Jr/'36 Paul Waner (OKC)
4. '96 Carlos Baerga/'96 Sandy Alomar/'64 Billy Williams/'96 Omar Vizquel/Platoon Partners (TUD)
5. '92 Jack Clements/'11 Shane Victorino/'11 Placido Polanco/'96 Joe Kelley/'92 Roger Conner/'92 Sam Thompson (PRE)

I'll be honest. This is mostly arbitrary and based off gut feeling more than how they perform in the Super-League. Somali has some good bench bats and backups, even if I don't quite trust Spud Davis as a backup Catcher. Ditto CERN, who don't have great pieces, but good enough ones. The Bombers' bench has two old guys who cannot really play the positions they should to be considered a backup, and then some decent pieces. The Miser's bench is mostly the 96 Indians, and I can't condone that. I will fully admit to being mistified by most of the pieces on the PreMo's bench. But at least Polanco should be good?

SP1

1. '95 Roger Clemens (OKC)
2. '26 Pete Alexander (SOM)
3. '11 Roy Halladay (PRE)
4. '53 Bob Feller (CER)
5. '11 Babe Adams (TUD)

Roger Clemens is probably the best bet here, if only because he's a proper ace at the proper age compared to a few of the others. Old Pete is ancient, and while he's Old Pete, I wonder if that's not going to explode in Beet's face at some point. Halladay is good, but 2011 was the year the good doctor cooked his arm, so I expect a meteoric crash from him late in the season. Bob Feller just does not have enough control to be a proper ace in a Super-League environment, which is coming from someone who has 45 Feller in his rotation. Babe Adams was good, but never quite dominant enough to be a Super-League certifiable ace.

SP2

1. '22 Walter Johnson (OKC)
2. '02 Rube Waddell (SOM)
3. '92 Greg Maddux (PRE)
4. '51 Robin Roberts (CER)
5. '19 Babe Adams (TUD)

Personally, I think Johnson should be above Clemens in the OKC's rotation, but that's just me. He is 34, so that can be a hesitation for some. But he's clearly the top talent here. Rube Waddell wouldn't normally be this high, but everything I've looked at when it comes to Waddell means that he's going to turn into some sort of super-pitcher with the Somali defense on his side. As for Roberts and Professor Maddux, it's honestly a toss-up for me. Both are primed to explode over the course of the season, but I think I give preference to Maddux's power pitching. This Babe Adams is just too old to do much good.

SP3

1. '15 Ed Walsh (OKC)
2. '38 Paul Derringer (SOM)
3. '03 Sam Leever (CER)
4. '11 Roy Oswalt (PRE)
5. '11 Deacon Phillippe (TUD)

Walsh hasn't had a lot of time to shine in the Super-League, but when he has gotten a chance, he's generally pretty good. This represents the hope that trend continues. Paul Derringer is another groundballer who will get a massive boost from playing in the Defense-aligned Somali grounds. Sam Leever will probably be good enough. Not great, but also not terrible. Roy Oswalt is about a year past being useful. And speaking of too-old to be useful, it's 39-year old Deacon Phillippe!

SP4

1. '02 Noodles Hahn (SOM)
2. '03 Deacon Phillippe (OKC)
3. '11 Howie Camnitz (TUD)
4. '27 Urban Shocker (CER)
4. '11 Cole Hamels (PRE)

Not a whole lot to speak of here. Noodles is good because of the Somali defense. 03 Deacon will be useful. Howie Camnitz has not seen a whole lot of play, but what he has seen has been good, so let this rating reflect hopes for continued above-average play. Urban Shocker is nearing the end of his 80-name-tool deadball career, but still not nearly old enough to give out. Still, I think Howie will do better. Cole Hamels is just not good in the Super-League.

SP5

1. '70 Bob Gibson (CER)
2. '81 Rick Reuschel (PRE)
3. '10 Mordecai Brown (SOM)
4. '74 Andy Messersmith (OKC)
5. '11 Claude Hendrix (TUD)

I'm not sure why Gibson is here. He's probably better than Leever at least, and probably better than Urban Shocker. Rick Reuschel has been somewhat inconsistent in the league, but should still do alright. If anyone can make Three-Finger Brown work, it's probably Beet, though I'm expecting him to flip it to someone for a legendary pitcher to watch them suffer. Messersmith and Hendrix are good, but probably not much more than that.

Bullpen

1. '08 Sergio Romo/'98 Trevor Hoffman/'78 Dan Quisenberry/'78 Dave LaRoche/'87 Nate Snell/'46 Johnny Sain (SOM)
2. '97 Robb Nen/'96 Robb Nen/'88 Tim Burke/'89 Jeff Reardon/'97 Tom Gordon/'07 Hong-Chih Kuo (CER)
3. '02 John Smoltz/'01 Keith Foulke/'95 Mike Stanton/'95 Alejandro Pena/'03 Mike Timlin/'88 Randy Johnson (OKC)
4. '99 John Wetteland/'96 Paul Assenmacher/'11 Elmer Steele/'19 Sherry Smith/'19 Elmer Ponder/'19 Erskine Mayer (TUD)
5. '81 Lee Smith/'81 Jay Howell/'81 Willie Hernandez/'11 Ryan Madson/'11 Clifton Lee/'82 Tim Keefe (PRE)

Again, gut feeling, so take it with a grain of salt: Somali's bullpen is the most consistent, CERN's has the most power up front, the Bombers' bullpen is a middle ground between the two with a lonely rookie Big Unit holding down long man, the Tudor Misers' bullpen is a little dicey, and I have no idea what Marauder is up to with the PreMo's bullpen.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 1, 2013

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Monathin posted:

The Critically-Outsourced, Mostly-Accurate, Some-Assembly-Required, 20%-More-Anime Super League XI Preview: Sir Transit Vir Division

You disappoint me, sir. Much of the point of the Premodernist gimmick is to showcase Baseball Hall of Famers modern fans of the game might not be familiar with, such as Hughie Jennings, Sam Thompson, Willie Keeler, Roger Connor, Joe Kelley, Tim Keefe, etc. Read up on them!

As to bullpens, Smasher will be disappointed in you if you don't know who Lee Smith is. Just saying.

Similarly, with the Gumshoes, I welcomed the chance to take a Negro Leagues team as a feeder, and get more exposure for interesting characters, but it turns out it was four points for one starter and a whole lot of indifference. Sic Transit Noir Mundi, I guess.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

The Merry Marauder posted:

You disappoint me, sir. Much of the point of the Premodernist gimmick is to showcase Baseball Hall of Famers modern fans of the game might not be familiar with, such as Hughie Jennings, Sam Thompson, Willie Keeler, Roger Connor, Joe Kelley, Tim Keefe, etc. Read up on them!

As to bullpens, Smasher will be disappointed in you if you don't know who Lee Smith is. Just saying.

Similarly, with the Gumshoes, I welcomed the chance to take a Negro Leagues team as a feeder, and get more exposure for interesting characters, but it turns out it was four points for one starter and a whole lot of indifference. Sic Transit Noir Mundi, I guess.

Alright, that is an entirely fair point and I take it in stride. After all, I didn't know jack about baseball before dropping into the Super-League threads.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
For what it's worth, I absolutely love the Premodernists. Sadly I don't think they'll be any good; the lineup has absolutely no power and any team based mostly on the Phillies is a disaster waiting to happen.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

That's certainly true, too.

I don't know, I think Premodern baseball is interesting as hell. Hughie Jennings, a shortstop, hit .401 the year this edition is from, and that was only good for second in the league. (Tops in oWAR and dWAR, though, and bless the people who calculated that out) He had to move off short, though, possibly because being hit by 175 pitches in four seasons doesn't have salutary effects on one's health.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

That's certainly true, too.

I don't know, I think Premodern baseball is interesting as hell. Hughie Jennings, a shortstop, hit .401 the year this edition is from, and that was only good for second in the league. (Tops in oWAR and dWAR, though, and bless the people who calculated that out) He had to move off short, though, possibly because being hit by 175 pitches in four seasons doesn't have salutary effects on one's health.

Fortunately that was in the underhand era, and damaged was minimal.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I'm Going To Beat You Up If You Don't Read This Super-League XI Preview: Memento Mori Division

Last Season

The Cancun Tornados rode on the back of an insane 20-6, 2.08 ERA year from Roy Halladay to take the division with ease. The Burma Imperialists were not quite as successful, but still managed to win 94 games and avoid the Gauntlet. Not as lucky were the Foul Pole Penguins, Antarctica Unspecifieds, and San Marcos Engineers, who were slaughtered without mercy. Most distressing of all, the Boston Skyhawks, once such a proud team, finished in last place, even below the team that wanted to use Josh Anderson as their starting center fielder. Truly a sad time for all those who love good things.

Why You Should Give a poo poo?

1. Pitching, Pitching, Pitching!

Holy poo poo, look at those rotations! Talented all the way from top to... well, to the third spot. But still, there's an impressive collection of arms in this division and not a whole lot of power in the lineups. Look for some of the best ERAs of this season to come from the Memento Mori.

2. Olde Tyme Baseball!

Speaking of pitching, I believe this is the first ever division with not one, not two, but three pitchers from the 1880s! Is this a terrible idea? Almost certainly, but it should be entertaining to watch. Combine them with two King Kellys and a Cap Anson, and you've got more Gilded Age Action than you'll know what to do with!

3. Armitage's Revenge!

The man voted "#1 Most Lovable Owner" in the 2012 Super-League Yearbook is back again for his 6th attempt to not get relegated. I know we're all rooting for him to finally break through. And if he doesn't make it, maybe his beloved Mets will be the ones to take the next step in his place?

Catcher

1. '96 Mike Pizza (STR)
2. '86 King Kelly (METS)
3. '06 Ivan Rodriguez (BRD)
4. '56 Roy Campanella (CAN)
5. '55 Smoky Burgess/'84 Carlton Fisk (BUR)

Not only is Mike Pizza a great hitter, he's also one of the only catchers in the division who isn't geriatric. King Kelly had a 1.018 OPS in 1886, but he committed 28 errors and allowed 46 passed balls in just 53 games. That should be interesting. Rodriguez and Campanella are both getting up there in age, but Campanella only played one more year after '56, while Rodriguez hung around for a while longer and should still be able to perform very well defensively. Burgess and Fisk are both okay, but neither of them has been able to put together a really great season in the Super-League. Still, with their powers combined they should give a solid performance for the Imperalists.

First Baseman

1. '94 Jeff Bagwell (BUR)
2. '88 Mark Grace/'68 Mickey Mantle (STR)
3. '65 Willie Stargell/'02 Joe Kelley (BUR)
4. '65 Willie McCovey (BRD)
5. '84 Keith Hernandez (METS)

Bagwell may not be a Super-League Hero, but he did randomly explode and win an MVP back in Super-League VI, so there's always the question of whether he can do it again. Mark Grace is a Super-League Hero, and will hit for high average, but you really want a bit more power out of a primary first baseman. Even though Mantle is pretty old by '68, the Propane will probably want to find a way to get him into the lineup more than just once every few days. The Burma platoon should be fairly good, with Stargell supplying the power and Kelley supplying a great on-base percentage. McCovey has a lot of power, but he strikes out a bit too much to really be valuable in the Super-League. Keith Hernandez's mustache may be powerful, but the rest of him just doesn't measure up.

Second Baseman

1. '11 Eddie Collins (BUR)
2. '69 Joe Morgan (STR)
3. '24 Riggs Stephenson (CAN)
4. '11 Asdrubal Cabrera/'01 Mark Loretta (BRD)
5. '13 Larry Doyle (METS)

Eddie Collins is one of the better second basemen in the Super-League, even taking his deadball glove into account. In a weak division, that's enough to take the top spot. Joe Morgan was a no doubt, first-ballot hall of famer in real life, but for whatever reason that hasn't translated into success in the Super-League. Maybe one of these seasons he'll turn it around. The Cultists' Riggs set the Super-League record for batting average last season! He still really should not be playing second base. Cabrera should give the Oxen a good defensive performance, even if he doesn't hit all that well. In fact, they might do better to go without the platoon, as Mark Loretta hits decently against LHP but is not particularly good with the glove. Larry Doyle is probably not going to hit enough to make up for his fielding, which was poor even by deadball standards.

Third Baseman

1. '06 David Wright (METS)
2. '02 John McGraw/'35 Joe Cronin (CAN)
3. '98 Scott Rolen/'91 Matt Williams (BUR)
4. '02 Chipper Jones (BRD)
5. '47 Snuffy Sternweiss (STR)

David Wright is a phenomenal player and one of the few bright spots for the real-life Mets. Hopefully the Mercury Mets give him a better supporting cast. McGraw is a really good hitter, but he can't field very well and he's liable to spontaneously break every bone in his body at any time. Cronin's main job is to try and prevent that from happening. I really like Scott Rolen, but at the same time, I really hate Matt Williams. So as you can see, it's a bit of a conundrum. If Chipper hits well, he will be a valuable player for the Oxen. If he doesn't hit well, which is very possible based on his history, he'll end up as a liability. I don't even have to make up a joke about Snuffy Sternweiss. For gently caress's sake, his name is Snuffy Sternweiss. My god.

Shortstop

1. '58 Ernie Banks (CAN)
2. '95 Barry Larkin (BRD)
3. '06 Jose Reyes (METS)
4. '75 Robin Yount (BUR)
5. '47 Phil Rizzuto (STR)

Out of a fairly lackluster group, Ernie Banks is the best hitter and one of the better fielders as well. Larkin isn't bad, but he isn't really that good, either. I might be biased against Reyes since he kind of sucked for my team last season. But he won't be amazing. Robin Yount does not have the best SL history, and the Imperialists' version is 19 years old. Phil Rizzuto should not be in the Super-League, he should not have won the 1950 MVP, and he most definitely should not be in the Hall of Fame. In fact, as soon as a working time machine is invented, the first mission should be to go back and erase Phil Rizzuto from history. I truly believe that we would be making the world a better place.

Left Fielder

1. '39 Ted Williams (CAN)
2. '00 Barry Bonds (BRD)
3. '89 Rickey Henderson (BUR)
4. '47 Charlie Keller (STR)
5. '06 Cliff Floyd (METS)

Ted Williams is so good that even his rookie version gets the nod over Bonds at the peak of his powers. It's close, though. Rickey's not in the same league as those two, but he has stolen 60+ bases for the Imperialists each of the past three seasons. Keller is an interesting player. Despite not really having a platoon split at all, the Yankees platooned him anyway for most of his career. He should be a solid bat for the Propane. Cliff Floyd was a 1-time all-star. He's not that bad, but in this group, he doesn't measure up to the rest.

Center Fielder

1. '47 Joe DiMaggio (STR)
2. '65 Willie Mays (METS)
3. '12 Mike Trout (CAN)
4. '00 Jim Edmonds/'80 Cesar Cedeno (BUR)
5. '02 Andruw Jones (BRD)

Really tough call at the top here. Mays was probably better in real life, but he's never quite lived up to that in the SL, though he's usually been solid at minimum. You can't go wrong with either of the two. Mike Trout might be the next Willie Mays or Joe DiMaggio, but he's going up against the real Willie Mays and Joe DiMaggio. Edmonds and Cedeno are both solid players, and that's all I have to say about them. Andruw Jones is a great fielder, but he strikes out a lot and I don't know if he has the bat to compete against the rest of this group.

Right Fielder

1. '10 Lance Berkman/'08 Carlos Beltran (BUR)
2. '56 Duke Snider (CAN)
3. '02 Gary Sheffield (BRD)
4. '06 Carlos Beltran (METS)
5. '88 Andre Dawson (STR)

Uh...yikes. Lance Berkman has been a pretty good hitter in the Super-League, at least when platooned, and that will probably be enough to justify ranking Burma's platoon as the best in this division. I could also have gone with Snider, but his history has not been quite as good. Sheffield had a lot of power and really good plate discipline, but he was also one of the worst fielders of all time. Neither Beltran nor Dawson really have the bat for right field. I'll give Beltran the nod because he should be a bit better defensively.

Bench

1. '?? King Kelly/'56 Jackie Robinson/'01 Billy Hamilton/'95 Albert Belle (CAN)
2. '97 Roberto Alomar/'06 Adam Dunn (BUR)
3. '06 Paul Lo Duca/'86 Cap Anson/'06 Carlos Delgado/'06 Endy Chavez/'06 Jose Valentin/'03 Nomar Garciaparra (METS)
4. '47 Yogi Berra/'08 Joe Delahanty/'68 Roy White/'96 Raul Mondesi/'08 Clyde Milan (STR)
5. '11 Carlos Santana/'11 Shin-Soo Choo/'02 Rafael Furcal/'74 Hal McRae/'74 Amos Otis (BRD)

I kind of just put these in order of the number of useful players I saw off the top of my head.

SP1

1. '?? Hilton Smith (BUR)
2. '03 Roy Halladay (CAN)
3. '34 Carl Hubbell (STR)
4. '06 Pedro Martinez (METS)
5. '02 Greg Maddux (BRD)

Hilton Smith has been transcendental for the Imperalists. A miniscule ERA and BB/9, with a decent amount of strikeouts as well. The other four, I have no idea how to order. They're all great pitchers, though Pedro and Maddux are a bit older. Halladay dominated for the Tornados last season, and Hubbell's never really had a bad year.

SP2

1. '13 Christy Mathewson (METS)
2. '?? Martin Dihigo (BUR)
3. '08 Walter Johnson (STR)
4. '56 Sandy Koufax (CAN)
5. '86 Dave Foutz (BRD)

This group might be on par with a few other divisions' aces. Mathewson is right behind Old Pete as one of the top pitchers in the SL. I'll give Dihigo the edge over Johnson - both of them have very good track records but Johnson is just 20 years old. Koufax is a great power lefty, but he too was still very young in '56. His success might be tied to the number of lefty batters he sees. Foutz is a pre-deadballer, and he only pitched 6 seasons, making it hard to say whether he'll be able to cut it in the SL. If nothing else, he should hit pretty well!

SP3

1. '15 Smokey Joe Wood (BUR)
2. '77 Rick Reuschel (STR)
3. '56 Don Drysdale (CAN)
4. '86 John Clarkson (METS)
5. '86 Bob Caruthers (BRD)

Joe Wood rounds out Burma's incredible top three. He's only ever had one bad season in the SL, and that was at age 18. Everything else has been better than average. In fact, #1, #2, and #3 on this list have all been remarkably consistent. Reuschel has had some dominant seasons by keeping his walk ratio low. I don't know what dark magicks he's been practicing to get those results, but he just keeps on doing it. Drysdale is in his age-19 rookie season, which worries me a bit, but looking at his track record, it's hard to bet against him. Clarkson and Caruthers bring more 1880's action to the division. Clarkson's strikeout rate was pretty high for his era, which should help him out. Caruthers didn't pitch for as long or as successfully, but he kept walks low and was one of the better hitters of the time as well. Could the Oxen's pitching staff hit well enough to give them a real edge? Probably not, but that won't stop them from trying.

SP4

1. '35 Lefty Grove (CAN)
2. '82 Bert Blyleven (METS)
3. '82 Don Sutton (BUR)
4. '08 Cy Falkenberg (STR)
5. '05 Mark Prior (BRD)

Grove, like Koufax, is at a disadvantage because of how the Mogul engine treats left-handers, but he has the potential to be just as effective. If so, it will be tough for anyone to score on the Tornados in a playoff series. Blyleven gets the nod over Sutton due to Sutton's advanced age, but they're both good innings eaters and shouldn't be too bad. Falkenberg has a higher walk rate than you'd like to see in a deadballer, but the Propane have a pretty good defensive lineup, so he'll probably do okay. The Oxen will be praying that Prior's arm doesn't explode until at least the second half of the season. They'll need him healthy and racking up strikeouts to have a chance at surviving this year.

SP5

1. '66 Sam McDowell (BUR)
2. '02 Joe McGinnity (CAN)
3. '13 Rube Marquard (METS)
4. '68 Mel Stottlemyre (STR)
5. '02 Kevin Millwood (BRD)

Sam McDowell used a blazing fastball to rack up huge numbers of strikeouts in the pitcher-friendly 60's. When he got it in the strike zone, he had great success. Unfortunately, he wasn't always able to do that. McGinnity has had some success for the Tornados in the past, which puts him near the top of this list. But he'd better hope that Ernie Banks brings his glove to the park, because Riggs, Stargell and McGraw sure won't. Rube Marquard is known for being possibly the worst player in the Hall of Fame... but hey, at least he's known for something! Stottlemyre had a fairly short career due to an arm injury, and was never really very good in real life. Don't expect great things from him for the Propane. Kevin Millwood may not be that good, but at least the Oxen aren't using Ubaldo Jimenez anymore. That would not have ended well.

Bullpen

1. '07 Jonathan Papelbon/'00 Mike Timlin/'77 Dennis Eckersley/'95 Alan Embree/'00 Dave Veres/'70 Andy Messersmith (BUR)
2. '06 Mike Adams/'70 Rollie Fingers/'72 Sparky Lyle/'92 Jeff Montgomery/'68 John Hiller/'24 Stan Coveleski (CAN)
3. '11 Chris Perez/'02 Mike Remlinger/'11 Tony Sipp/'11 Rafael Perez/'11 Vinnie Pestano/'68 Al Downing (BRD)
4. '06 Billy Wagner/'76 Andy Messersmith/'06 Pedro Feliciano/'76 Mike Marshall/'06 Chad Bradford/'13 Art Fromme (METS)
5. '96 Todd Worrell/'11 Joe Smith/'68 Steve Hamilton/'68 Lindy McDaniel/'96 Antonio Osuna/'74 Doug Bird (STR)

The Imperalists and Tornados have some fairly trustworthy guys in the high-leverage roles, so they take the top spots. The Oxen are using the 2011 Indians as their bullpen, which isn't a bad idea, but I wouldn't want to have to put my faith in Chris Perez at the end of a close game. The Mets have Billy Wagner, which is always nice even if he's getting up there. And the Propane will be sitting at the bottom until they change Doug Bird's name back to Dog Bird. This is non-negotiable.

Ice To Meet You fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 2, 2013

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Pander posted:

Fortunately that was in the underhand era, and damaged was minimal.

"During the course of his career, Jennings had his skull fractured three times by pitches. The most serious incident saw an Amos Rusie pitch knock him unconscious for four days in 1897."

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

"During the course of his career, Jennings had his skull fractured three times by pitches. The most serious incident saw an Amos Rusie pitch knock him unconscious for four days in 1897."

Yeah, the underhand pitch was dead and gone by the time Jennings was repeatedly beaned. The Hoosier Thunderbolt (one of my favourite nicknames ever) had a Walter Johnson type fastball and could really bring it.

If these guys bean you, you are going to feel it.

Edit: Smasher also pointed out that Ray Chapman was killed by an underhand pitch.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 2, 2013

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Here's what your terrible teams look like!

If something appears wrong, rest assured that it isn't a mistake on my part, but instead part of a dastardly scheme to destroy your team so that I can guarantee victory to the Marauder Syndicate, who I have always been in league with.

So take a look at your team, and if there are any changes I need to make, let me know.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

ignore this post

Monathin fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 2, 2013

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

The roster looks good. The lineup doesn't look right but I know you said it's just a Mogul glitch.

I am going to request you swap Ray Schalk and his terrible bat for Scott Hatteberg and his terrible defense, however. Thanks!

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

Tied for first! Good way to start the season. Everything looks fine, and the appearance of the Mysterious Todd Swanston means we now have someone to lead AAA Elsen to a minor league championship!

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Looks good other than that Larkin Roll... ugh... Could I get Perry switched to the 5th spot and Red Donahue moved up to the 4th spot?

I will just assume the No DH lineup was a bug, but here they are anyway.

Vs RHP No DH
1 Eddie Collins 2B
2 Tony Gwynn RF
3 Carlos Beltran CF
4 Albert Pujols LF
5 Fred McGriff 1B
6 Barry Larkin SS
7 Adrian Beltre 3B
8 Brian Downing CF
9 Pitcher

Vs LHP No DH
1 Eddie Collins 2B
2 Tony Gwynn RF
3 Carlos Beltran CF
4 Albert Pujols LF
5 Fred McGriff 1B
6 Barry Larkin SS
7 Adrian Beltre 3B
8 Brian Downing CF
9 Pitcher

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Super League XI Preview: Mark Bellhorn Division

Smasher is outsourcing the rest of the previews, let's do it

Last Season!

Going into Super-League X, the Bellhorn division was expected to be a 3 horse race between the Redemption Gauntlet Champion Fingerbangers, the utterly charmless Mercuries, and the Two True Outcomes superstar Manatees. And while it was indeed a 3 horse race (the top 3 teams only being seperated by 2 games when all was said and done), the Manatees' billed place in the standings was replaced by the Cuba Batmen (now the Everett Trues), who finished in a tie for the second wildcard spot with the Louisville Muggers and made it to the Wildcard Game before being eliminated.

This Season!

Only the Trues and Bangers return from last season due to Senerio pulling his Mercuries from SLXI, and at least two of the new teams look to be good. The Plunder Corp are the obvious addition, winning 117 games and the championship in ECX and are expected to at least go down to the wire with the Finger Bangers in an attempt to break their division title streak of... well, one season, but the Bangers weren't in SL9 so it should be much more than that!

Catcher

1. '?? Josh Gibson/ '86 Mickey Tettleton (PLU)
2. '58 Yogi Berra/ '71 Gene Tenace (FUK)
3. '75 Brian Downing (EVR)
4. '79 Ted Simmons/ '52 Sherm Lollar (HCT)
5. '06 Joe Mauer (NEW)

Pretty mediocre group all around. Josh Gibson is inarguably the clear frontrunner here, and when you get to platoon him that's even better. I'm not a fan of the Tenace half of the Bangers' platoon at all, but Yogi should be good. Super League Hero Brian Downing is in all honesty probably more deserving of the #2 spot, but there's only been 2 non-prime Downings in SL history and neither of them have been very good so I'm not 100% sure how a younger one is going to do, and The Rule Of Marauder states that he wins any ties. The TWTW's have a frankly bizarre platoon where Ted Simmons plays catcher in every lineup except No DH vs LHP, in which he plays LF in favor of Lollar at Catcher. However, I feel like this instance will be rare enough that I'll count it as just the Simmons. Anyway, he's had precisely 3 seasons over 100 OPS+ (and two of them were 104 and 106) but at least he's somewhat consistent if nothing else. I want to like Mauer, but he hasn't had a good SL season since 6 which is a fairly major concern.

First Baseman

1. '21 Harry Heilmann/ '12 Albert Pujols (PLU)
2. '92 Frank Thomas (FUK)
3. '00 Paul Konerko (EVR)
4. '67 Orlando Cepeda (NEW)
5. '09 Adrian Gonzalez (HCT)

I'm not sure about platooning Pujols, but the 2012 version is starting to get up there in years a bit and Heilmann has two good seasons to two average ones, so we'll see how it goes I guess. As Smasher said in the last preview there was a time when The Big Hurt was considered one of the best hitters in decades, so I'll give him the nod for second place. Konerko only has one full season but he's been fairly solid as a bench bat for the Bangers, and he was pretty good for the Batmen last season. AGon vs Cepeda is more or less a coinflip, but I opted for the latter since I feel like the former won't have the same amount of success vs lefties he does in real life.

Second Baseman

1. '73 Rod Carew (NEW)
2. '08 Nap Lajoie (FUK)
3. '88 Ryne Sandberg (PLU)
4. '52 Nellie Fox/ '34 Billy Herman (HCT)
5. '74 Toby Harrah (EVR)

Rod Carew is fairly easily the best of this bunch, even if he has underperformed a bit in the SL. I mostly agree with Smasher's assessment of Nap, and this version is starting to get up there in years, but he probably still beats Ryno. Close though. After that the Fox/Herman platoon is intersting, Herman's been pretty solid in the SL so I feel like he could be worthy of a full-time job, but on the other hand he's never had a full SL season. Toby Harrah's best SL season so far is one where he hit .230/.304/.365.

Third Baseman

1. '75 Pete Rose/ '?? Josh Gibson (PLU)
2. '26 Rogers Hornsby (NEW)
3. '90 Edgar Martinez (FUK)
4. '46 George Kell (EVR)
5. '00 Troy Glaus (HCT)

It was a tough choice for the top spot in this one, and open to debate. I went with the Plunder Corp platoon firstly because of, well, Josh Gibson, and secondly because while many people are (rightfully) quick to tell you that Pete Rose isn't quite the inner circle hall of famer that his hit total would indicate, he's still a drat fine player. Hornsby on the other hand is one of the top 10 hitters of all time and one of the best non-Babe Ruth/Ted Williams/Pete Alexander tier players you can get in the SL, so it's a really close call. Edgar Martinez is the obvious #3, he should be at DH in a vacuum but this is the Banger Way. After him is two guys who should be okay SL players with limited experience, but despite an incredible season from Glaus in SL6 I'll give the nod to Kell, who had a pretty nice season in SLX.

Shortstop

1. '98 Alex Rodriguez (NEW)
2. '40 Luke Appling (PLU)
3. '46 Lou Boudraeu (FUK)
4. '08 Jose Reyes (EVR)
5. '38 Cecil Travis/ '99 Cal Ripken Jr (HCT)

Terrible group! ARod is one of the most infamous SL underperformers, but he gets the top spot anyway on potential and weak competition. Luke Appling is a solid player in nearly every aspect, so it's not much question he gets the #2 spot even if he is a bit older by 1940. Boudreau won't light the world on fire with his bat but he plays very good defense and has good on-base skills (which may not translate well to the Super League but still). I have an affinity for Jose Reyes so I want to say he'll do well, but realistically probably not. The over-under for how many weeks it will take 37-year-old Ripken to collapse in on himself from playing shortstop is currently at 2 and a half weeks.

Left Field

1. '42 Ted Williams (EVR)
2. '91 Barry Bonds (FUK)
3. '28 Goose Goslin (NEW)
4. '?? Cool Papa Bell (PLU)
5. '52 Minnie Minoso/ '79 Ted Simmons (HCT)

Now we're talking! Top two are easy calls, both are very arguably the greatest hitter of all time, but I'm going with Teddy Ballgame since he has the better SL history. The fact that the Bangers have a young Bonds that should steal upwards of 20-30 bases helps though. Goose has never really had a bad season in the Super League per se, and he most definitely has had good ones so he gets the third spot. I'm worried that Smasher will be a lot less kinder than I was when editing Bell, so I'm putting him in the 4 spot despite that he prooooobably deserves the third one. Minnie Minoso has a very limited SL history, but he'll probably do well so don't worry too much about his placing. On the flip side of the weird platoon, I don't think anyone will blame me for being pessimistic about Ted Simmons: Left Fielder.

Center Field

1. '11 Tris Speaker (FUK)
2. '?? Oscar Charleston (PLU)
3. '60 Mickey Mantle (EVR)
4. '98 Ken Griffey Jr. (NEW)
5. '80 Andre Dawson (HCT)

The choice for the top spot here was an interesting choice. On one hand, Speaker is one the the top-15 or so players of all time, and has a Super League record to match. On the other, Smasher sees Charleston as one of the top-5 of all time if he had been able to play in MLB, so one can only imagine that he'll produce at an elite level. In the end I went with Speaker, A because this Charleston is ~36 years old, and B because of The Marauder Rule Of Thumb once again. After that, The Commerce Comet is an easy call for #3 as he too is an all-time great, and a prime version to boot. Personally I loving love me some Ken Griffey Jr, but sadly mogul isn't quite as high on him. As for The Hawk, I used him on my first team, and Smasher dedicated a whole section of my obit to mocking me for using Andre Dawson. So yeah.

Right Field

1. '18 Babe Ruth (EVR)
2. '21 Ty Cobb (PLU)
3. '27 Ty Cobb/ '98 Vlad (FUK)
4. '67 Frank Howard (NEW)
5. '00 Tim Salmon/ '07 Launch Ballman (HCT)

Pretty cut and dry group here. Babe Ruth is Babe Ruth is Babe Ruth, even if he is a bit young. Younger Cobb beats Older Cobb + Vladdy (even if Guerrero actually has a pretty solid SL history). Frank Howard is mediocre but at least he's not Tim Salmon. Pander, I get the idea of platooning Load Bearingwall, but if the other half of the platoon is Tim Salmon he should really be starting full time.

Designated Hitter (credit to Cthulhu)

1. Teddy Ballgame (Marauder)
2. The Big Hurt (The random outburts of McFreeze)
3. The Plunder Terror Team of Pujols/Cobb (The usual suspects)
4. Edgar Martinez (CraigK and the High Rollers)
5. Mo Vaughn and Albert Belle in 'MoBelle' (Pander and the will to win)

Obviously Teddy Ballgame Wins. The Big hurt handily beats the Terror Team because rather than being a drive for quality, the Terror team is really the terror retirement home for aging hitters that ownership is worried need some time off before they explode. I'm not totally sure I like Edgar Martinez more than MoBelle, but I know that neither option is really an division championship winning DH.

Bench

1. Platoon Partners/ '75 Joe Morgan/ '50 Duke Snider/ '?? Pop Loyd (FUK)
2. '73 Harmon Killebrew/ '73 Tony Oliva/ '98 Edgar Martinez/ '67 Roger Maris/ '28 George Sisler/ '28 Joe Cronin (NEW)
3. Platoon Partners/ '46 Mell Ott/ '30 R.I.G.G.S./ '07 Nomah/ '42 Johnny Pesky (PLU)
4. '79 Darrel Porter/ '46 Hank Greenberg/ '46 Eddie Lake/ '74 Jim Fergosi/ '46 Roy Cullenbine (EVR)
5. Platoon Partners/ '00 Albert Belle (HCT)

The choice for the top spot is an interesting one. The High Rollers have some incredible bats, most notably Edgar, but not much at all in the way of utilitymen, with no real CF or backup C and only one who could be called a utility infielder in Cronin. For this reason I went with the Bangers' bench, as it has Pop Lloyd and Morgan as utilitymen in the infield and either of Cobb or Vlad on a given day (though admittedly they don't have anyone I would trust in CF on days Cobb starts), and the bats aren't shabby either, headlined by Duke Snider. The Plunder Bench is fairly meh, with RIGGS and the (ever-underrated) Pesky being probably the top guys. Ott is there of course but he's ancient at this point so yeah. The Trues' bench is essentially the opposite of the Rollers' in that it has plenty of utilitymen but not much in the way of bats. Old Greenberg and Kinda Old Cullenbine are okay but eh. The TWTW's bench is basically entirely platoon partners so anything I could say about it would just be repeating myself.

SP1

1. '?? Satchel Paige (PLU)
2. '96 Pedro Martinez (HCT)
3. '80 Nolan Ryan (FUK)
4. '62 Juan Marichal (EVR)
5. '67 Bob Gibson (NEW)

Holy poo poo, what a group. Paige is one of the greatest pitchers of all time, and in his prime if what Cthulhu says is true. Late 90's/Early 00's Pedro is one of the best pitchers you can get, even if he was still a year away from become the Pedro we remember in '96, and he's a semi-close second. Ryan is 3rd and despite not being quite on the same level as the Pedros and Paiges of the world was still an awesome loving pitcher. Marichal is one of the most consistent starters in the Super League, but he's never truly lit the world on fire in a season so I'll put him at 4. Bob Gibson has had a frustrating SL history for a pitcher of his real life caliber, but you can still do worse. Like I said, basically everyone in this group is really good so nobody should get too bent out of shape about placement.

SP2

1. '88 Greg Maddux (PLU)
2. '?? Smoky Joe Williams (FUK)
3. '71 Don Sutton (EVR)
4. '98 Randy Johnson (NEW)
5. '52 Billy Pierce (HCT)

Another good group. Mad Dog is one of the greatest right-handed pitchers of all time, and being a young version doesn't change that. Joe Williams has had an excellent run for the Bangers, and while I feel that the #2 spot rightfully belongs to Addie Joss that's no insult to Williams. Don Sutton is another excellent pitcher, in the 3rd spot only because of excellent competition. Like Gibson, The Big Unit has had a frustrating SL history but it's hard to bet against probably the greatest lefty pitcher of all time. Pierce probably deserves the 4th spot, but he's been mediocre in limited Super League time so I'll go with my heart and give it to Johnson.

SP3

1. '07 Addie Joss (FUK)
2. '03 Cy Young (PLU)
3. '73 Bert Blyleven (NEW)
4. '74 Fergie Jenkins (EVR)
5. '99 Mike Mussina (HCT)

Joss is far and away the best of this group, only failing to put up excellent numbers in a few of his seasons. Young Blyleven vs Old Young is an interesting choice, but ultimately I think that Young will probably do better. Bert's still a very good pitcher though, so there's no shame in having him as your #3, though with his age he carries the danger that any young SL player seems to have. Fergie Jenkins will give up lots and lots of homers, but he typically pitches well despite it and you could definitely do a lot worse than him as your #3 guy. Mussina has had an ERA in the mid-fours in nearly all of his SL seasons thus far, so I guess he's consitent, if nothing else.

SP4

1. '04 Kid Nichols (HCT)
2. '24 Dazzy Vance (FUK)
3. '12 Stephen Strasburg (EVR)
4. '21 Dutch Leonard (PLU)
5. '67 Steve Carlton (NEW)

A weird group here. Kid Nichols is really underrated in the Super League I feel, and he definitely deserves to be higher up in the TWTW's rotation. I may be biased but Dazzy Vance is probably the second best of this group, not a great pitcher but a fine #4. Strasburg is something of an enigma, a pitcher with massive potential but limited Super League time, and so he gets the 3rd spot. Dutch Leonard is an even bigger enigma as Cthulhu accidentally put the wrong Dutch in his team's CSV so he didnt play in the EC. Given his SL history though he should be pretty good anyway. As for Carlton I'm not sure I'm not sure how well thought out CraigK's strategy of making his entire team out of infamous SL underperformers is, but he's had good seasons before so we'll see how it goes I guess. Besides, even if he's not Carlton is a fine #4/5 guy if you're alright with him for what he is.

SP5

1. '03 Curt Shilling (FUK)
2. '04 Jack Taylor (HCT)
3. '10 Ed Summers (EVR)
4. '10 Cy Old (PLU)
5. '73 Jim Kaat (NEW)

I'm really not sure about this ranking, but it's the 5th starter so who cares. Shilling is probably the best (in a "One Eyed Man is king in the valley of the blind" sense). Jack Taylor only has one SL season and it wasn't particularly good, but he was the best in real life out of the lot so I'll give the 2nd spot to him. Ed Summers had an extremely short career in real life, but he's been pretty good in both of his two SL seasons so far so why not. Cy Old probably won't survive a full season at his age, but I feel like he'll probably do well anyway. Jim Kaat was apparently a much better pitcher than I originally thought when making this, but it looks like his skills haven't translated to the Super League all that well and he was starting to get up there in years by '73.

Bullpen

1. '82 Tom Henke, 00 Chad Bradford, '03 Rafael Soriano, '09 Edward Mujica, '46 Stubby Overmine, '75 Gaylord Perry (EVR)
2. '75 Dennis Eckersly, '98 Mike Timlin, '73 Bill Hands, '67 Nelson Briles, '28 Firpo Marberry, '28 Tom Zackary, '99 Arthur Rhodes (NEW)
3. '84 Goose Gossage, '03 Ugueth Urbina, '87 Dave Righetti, '88 Goose Gossage, '60 Don McMahon, '78 Steve Carlton (PLU)
4. '82 Rollie Fingers, '75 Rollie Fingers, '10 Alfredo Aceves, '70 John Hiller, '94 Terry Mulholland, '90 Orel Hershiser (FUK)
5. '00 Troy Percival, '09 Mike Adams, '99 Mike Timlin, '09 Heath Bell, '67 Pete Richart, '88 Bryn Smith

OK I'll admit I phoned this one in Real Hard because I'm busy and I want to get this done tonight, just assume they're all awful since this is the Super League THANK YOU AND GOODNIGHT

Monicro fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 2, 2013

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I still believe in you, Ubaldo. Haters gonna hate, etc.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

This post is now surplus to requirements. I will instead say that I am psyched for when our team explodes in a hail of fragments.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 2, 2013

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

My Non-DH lineup looks wrong under the lineup listing, but correct for the defensive listing.

Lineup (without DH) should be as follows:

code:
Shoeless Joe	RF
Mel Ott	        3B
Willie Mays	CF
Orlando Cepeda	LF
Willie McCovey	1B
Nap Lajoie	2B
King Kelly	C
Brooks Robinson	SS
<pitcher>

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

bawfuls posted:

My Non-DH lineup looks wrong under the lineup listing, but correct for the defensive listing.

Listen, sometimes, and I don't why it does this, Mogul will glitch out and show an incorrect lineup, even when the lineup has been correctly entered. Your lineup is in there, and it's right, so don't worry about.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

My DH lineup looks a little wonky, in that the Yostmaster General is playing third, Frisch is on second and Sweet Lou is on the bench. Given that this persists in the defensive alignment, I'm going to assume it's actually a mistake. Not that it will become relevant all that soon, just figured I'd point it out.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Listen, sometimes, and I don't why it does this, Mogul will glitch out and show an incorrect lineup, even when the lineup has been correctly entered. Your lineup is in there, and it's right, so don't worry about.

sweet, thanks!

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
No problems I can see with mine! Probably changes to come after some playing time, but eh, we're see.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
My team looks so awesome that it's going to be crushing when I get eliminated in the third round of the Gauntlet!

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

McDowell and Ventura shouldn't be on my roster as they were traded away during the SL IX regular season.

:ohdear: at that Paige roll, though.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I had a pretty rough schedule to end last season, I only had one off-day in the entire last two months. Let's see my off-days this season I'm sure it will be much be-OH GOD loving DAMMIT

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Monicro posted:

I had a pretty rough schedule to end last season, I only had one off-day in the entire last two months. Let's see my off-days this season I'm sure it will be much be-OH GOD loving DAMMIT

Mogul's always hot garbage at scheduling, the random save I'm running has me playing 41 games in 43 days, including 20 in a row

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Seven continuous weeks of play at the end of the post season. With a single day off at the very start of that block, that's 48 days without any respite. Mogul :allears:

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!

Swap Foxx and Cobb so that Foxx is hitting fourth in the DH/RHP lineup. Otherwise, everything looks good, I'm very happy with how my guys have rolled there.

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.

Well, those are some pretty good rolls, especially for pitching. Also, I had Tom Haller in the minors; I'd like to call Bobby Bonilla up in his place. Yeah, I know I originally listed Jermaine Dye in the majors, but I think it's in my best interest to have Bobby Bonilla there to have a backup 3B.

Everything else is fine for now; I'll see how Robin Yount does in CF about a month into the season or so (if not sooner) before I'll decide if I'm benching him if only to have a backup SS on the bench.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

kw0134 posted:

Seven continuous weeks of play at the end of the post season. With a single day off at the very start of that block, that's 48 days without any respite. Mogul :allears:

Kids got you beat. 55 days without a single day of rest at the end of the season. We have one day off in our last two months. :magical:

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Hmm. I kind of want to platoon my catchers, but the vast majority of pitchers in the division are RHP, and I want Downing to get a good number of at bats.
Can I do something like this?

- Porter starts against righties
- Downing starts against lefties
- Downing is the personal catcher for Sutton
- Downing is the personal catcher for Strasburg

That way, they would both get about equal playing time, maybe Downing would get a bit more.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Pretty good set of rolls, excepting poor Baby Doll. The question now is, when do I deploy the secret weapon?

Someone who knows Mogul better than I do: If I send Gooden to the minors to stretch him out for relief work, about how long would it take for him to be ready? It's not something I plan to do any time soon, but I want to keep the option open just in case.

Song for spring training

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Because it's a holiday weekend, I'm going to give you guys one more day before I sim the first week of the season.

Make it count.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

It seems like setting a personal catcher to guarantee your starter gets a day off once in a while is the norm around here, so I guess I'll follow suit!

Smasher, can you please make Ellie Hendricks the personal catcher for Mike Cuellar?

Speaking of Elrod, the Longshots have the following players who will be making their first ever appearances in SL games this year:
Batters
Ellie Hendricks
Davey Johnson
Ellis Valentine

Relievers
Ron Mahay
Pete Richert

Minors (pretty much guaranteed a call-up considering Junior's injury history)
Garret Anderson

That's five (and probably six) first timers! Any expansion owners out there who think they have more than that?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

DannoMack posted:

Speaking of Elrod, the Longshots have the following players who will be making their first ever appearances in SL games this year:
Batters
Ellie Hendricks
Davey Johnson
Ellis Valentine

Relievers
Ron Mahay
Pete Richert

Minors (pretty much guaranteed a call-up considering Junior's injury history)
Garret Anderson

That's five (and probably six) first timers! Any expansion owners out there who think they have more than that?
Pete Richert (hi twin!)
Jack Taylor
Cecil Travis
(Ken McMullen, Chico Carrasquel, and Camilo Pascual are all in AAA and the latter two are likely to see some burn)

I dunno why Monicro would think I'd put Simmons in LF. That's crazy! And I also don't see why Tim Salmon can't provide some good hitting against lefties, at least not better than Lance Berkman would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Because I'm dumb and didn't realize this was an actual problem, it seems I do actually have the wrong Ted Abernathy on my team (Should be abernte02, not abernte01). It's really dumb and not likely to make a difference so if you don't want to fix it, that's fine, but having the right Ted on my team would be a nice boon.