Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

Nah, I get you can, I'm just kinda agape at why you'd do it. It's mentioned so frequently that I'm half assuming there's a point where organ failure becomes an epidemic thing, or there's a fundamental failure to reload when lovely colonists come by at play.

Organs can be removed and sold and unlike the colonists they come from, they do not require feeding.

I also think that if you could remove all the organs from someone they would probably be worth more than the colonist whole, which is appropriate as the extraction labour has added value to the resulting product.

Ask me about marxist understanding of organ harvesting in videogames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

OwlFancier posted:

Organs can be removed and sold and unlike the colonists they come from, they do not require feeding.

I also think that if you could remove all the organs from someone they would probably be worth more than the colonist whole, which is appropriate as the extraction labour has added value to the resulting product.

Ask me about marxist understanding of organ harvesting in videogames.

Well, you're certainly seizing the means of (re?)production.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Rimworld: Ask me about marxist understanding of organ harvesting in videogames

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I gave a lady with a peg and scarred leg bionic legs. Then a boar ruined her eye so I wanted to give her a bionic eye but it seems I can't. It looks like there's a limit of 2 bionics per person now?? Is this vanilla or this hardcore epoe or what ever mod I've got? Either way how do I change this because gently caress only 2 bionics per person.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Baronjutter posted:

So I gave a lady with a peg and scarred leg bionic legs. Then a boar ruined her eye so I wanted to give her a bionic eye but it seems I can't. It looks like there's a limit of 2 bionics per person now?? Is this vanilla or this hardcore epoe or what ever mod I've got? Either way how do I change this because gently caress only 2 bionics per person.

There's no limit. It's possible some hauler is holding the bionic eye, moving it to a stockpile. Make sure the eye is stationary, not forbidden, and accessible to your doctor.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A sad/funny thing happened. A pirate prisoner fell in love with my warden. It gave them both a negative mood for "wants to sleep with" but the loving pirate still took 2 years to agree to join us. I know it's a bit of a rare case but being lovers with someone should add a massive recruitment bonus.

He finally joined the colony and they instantly had a wedding.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Baronjutter posted:

A sad/funny thing happened. A pirate prisoner fell in love with my warden. It gave them both a negative mood for "wants to sleep with" but the loving pirate still took 2 years to agree to join us. I know it's a bit of a rare case but being lovers with someone should add a massive recruitment bonus.

He finally joined the colony and they instantly had a wedding.

This reminds me. Prisoner settings stay with them after they become colonists. So a prisoner made colonist that I decided to imprison years later. Was then instantly recruited because he had something like a 60% recruitment chance. So I had to imprison him again... Awkward.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Deja I know this is like 50 posts later but if you want to avoid colonist breaks then you should just make their rooms larger and more luxurious. Having the persistent impressive room bonus counteracts a shitload of negative stuff. Alcohol and pot are pretty much worthless once they have nice enough rooms.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Teikanmi posted:

Deja I know this is like 50 posts later but if you want to avoid colonist breaks then you should just make their rooms larger and more luxurious. Having the persistent impressive room bonus counteracts a shitload of negative stuff. Alcohol and pot are pretty much worthless once they have nice enough rooms.

I'm not well read on making colonists feel better or more comfortable. Could you take a screenshot of the minimum required space and furniture to achieve this?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I give everyone a 3x5 or 3x6 room with a double bed and nothing else. Having high level constructors are very important because if those beds are good or superior, plus the nice smooth-stoned floor, it's generally enough to make them quite happy about their bedroom. GIve everyone a double bed so you don't need to micro manage people shacking up, plus double beds add more value.

Impressive dining room is a big one too. Make the nexus of your base a big grand dining room, make it a combo dining/rec room. Make sure all the furniture is good or better, statues, make it nice! Just make your whole base nice. No unsmoothed floors, nice stone walls no raw stone. "ugly environment" adds up fast to make them grumpy, but having every workplace, hallway, or area they spend any time being pretty also adds up fast.

In my current fort almost everyone's a couple now. A character's 70+ year old mom and dad moved in, everyone of opposite genders that can stand each other shacked up and got married leaving 2 dudes behind, then they got married too. No one's broken up yet and people seem to get the hint after being rebuffed and avoid people they hate. Psychology mod seems good.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 2, 2017

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

3x6? without counting the walls? My that is generous. I could fit three colonists in that space. Six if I stack them on top of one another.

I'll have to think about that.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You need a 5x5 room to get the "spacious interior" buff, but that only applies 1) while the colonist is actually in the room, and 2) while the colonist is awake. So basically only while they choose meditating for their joy option for the day, which doesn't happen often once you have horseshoe pins, chess tables, and a dining table for relaxing socialIy.

I give my colonists 3x4 or 3x3 rooms. Ascetics get a 1x2 hole with a bed and nothing else. The walls can be anything except cave walls - if you're in a mountain just carve them out and replace them with stone block walls. The floors should be nice - smooth stone floors (+3 beauty) are best if you can get them, stone block floors or carpets (+2 beauty) are second best. Early on wood floors (neutral beauty) are still worth installing just to avoid the negative beauty of dirt floors.

For beds wooden beds are the best - they're more beautiful than steel beds and don't have the rest effectiveness penalty of stone beds. Early on you'll have to take whatever quality the dice gives you. Later once you have a highly skilled constructor I would replace all your beds with at least Excellent quality. Better quality beds not only do a ton for room quality, they also have better rest effectiveness, so your colonists spend less time sleeping and more time working.

For the rest of the room I usually leave them unlit because I don't want to spend the power on a lamp that they'll almost never enjoy - instead I just put small wooden art in there. A dedicated colony Art Goblin can go a long way towards general happiness. When training an art goblin to get skill up use stone blocks because it takes a lot of time to make a stone sculpture, so they spend a lot of time working on it. When their skill is high enough then when mass-producing art to put in bedrooms I generally use wood because it has fine beauty and very high work speed so the art goblin can crank them out quick. I usually install normal or better quality art in the rooms, deconstruct poor or worse art to get the building materials back and try again. I don't generally sell art because it's way easier to get tons of cloth than it is tons of wood or stone.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Space costs little and happy colonists work harder than unhappy ones. You're probably not achieving a great deal with the extra running costs per-colonist by having people be unhappy and requiring drugs in order to be happy.

A colony of five happy colonists can work as hard as six but still only cost as much as five to feed. And with good beds they can cut out quite a lot of sleeping time too. Quality beats quantity in many ways.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Alternately drugs work better if you manually edit an allowance that is set up as every 2 days if your mood is at minor or medium breaking point. Social drugs treats it as a joy source I think which means you can get liver and lung afflictions because they're semi bored of everything else, even if they could still fill their joy up on the less efficient joy sources.

Trading lung and liver diseases for actual breaks seems like a better value exchange, but its still a bandaid. But sometimes even if you've got gold plated bedrooms and dining rooms what you need is a bandaid when someone just failed to hit on every female member of the colony and their mother and father just raided you and died and they're in pain from getting shot by their mother and father.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So the Psychology and Hospitality mod are good ones to consider? The extra stacking also sounds like a good idea. It would be cool if there was equipment that let you increase the stack size, like a simple box. Put something in the box, stack stuff 4x as much or so.

I love having Huskies. They're easy to train, super friendly, eat corpses, and breed pretty aggressively. I prepared carefully and started with one male and two female; now I just sold off half the puppies because I couldn't feed them all. Hopefully they'll go to good homes.

Rimworld: Organ Farming Puppy Mills

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Thanks for all the advice people. Space is actually what I have the least of. When you push +40 colonists you need all the space you can get.

zedprime posted:

Alternately drugs work better if you manually edit an allowance that is set up as every 2 days if your mood is at minor or medium breaking point. Social drugs treats it as a joy source I think which means you can get liver and lung afflictions because they're semi bored of everything else, even if they could still fill their joy up on the less efficient joy sources.

Trading lung and liver diseases for actual breaks seems like a better value exchange, but its still a bandaid. But sometimes even if you've got gold plated bedrooms and dining rooms what you need is a bandaid when someone just failed to hit on every female member of the colony and their mother and father just raided you and died and they're in pain from getting shot by their mother and father.

I read that you can give them one joint every 4 days without risking negative effects. Is there a similar number for beers?

Trading disease for reduced breaks is..... hard to evaluate. An overwhelming majority of the worst breaks just end with bruises. Though I did have one researcher once who had a breakdown and proceeded to shoot my top ranking bionic super soldier twice in the head while she was trying to arrest him. He had no ranged weapon skill worth mentioning but still pulled off two distinct "head shot". At first I thought it was she who had shot him but all he had on his head was an old scar. When I checked her she had two assault rifle hits on the head and something like 34% remaining efficiency across the board. My priceless murder machine, reduced to a drooling shuffling mongoloid because some clerk got a little excited.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So the Psychology and Hospitality mod are good ones to consider? The extra stacking also sounds like a good idea. It would be cool if there was equipment that let you increase the stack size, like a simple box. Put something in the box, stack stuff 4x as much or so.

I love having Huskies. They're easy to train, super friendly, eat corpses, and breed pretty aggressively. I prepared carefully and started with one male and two female; now I just sold off half the puppies because I couldn't feed them all. Hopefully they'll go to good homes.

Rimworld: Organ Farming Puppy Mills

There is the stack XXL mod.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=826366050

It makes things stack 10 or 100 times better and it's a lifesaver for me. I no longer need a freezer the size of a football stadium to feed 30 people. And with the smaller stockpiles you can make little stockpiles around crafting benches when things like iron stacks to 750.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The stacking mod is customizable so it's easy to set it to what you feel is reasonable. I felt the default was a bit too much.
Hospitality seems good and fun, and psychology is hard to gauge but relationships and personalities just feel more natural now.

I got that mod that automatically re-orders broken poo poo. It's a real mixed blessing because on one hand every time you get a zzzzzt someone goes and fixes it right away. The downside is that the IED that the invading robots triggered now generates a job to go re-build that trap.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 2, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
spacious interior buff lasts for a while as they leave the room; i see it as basically the way to handle the 'just woke up' problem. people tend to wake up hungry and grumpy, so having a nice room with a spacious interior basically gives them the mood edge they need to go get breakfast and play a game of chess before they go out.

that said, the experiments i've been running don't imply a huge benefit to shooting for spacious interior in bedrooms. it's important to not make them CRAMPED because then you end up with situations where people immediately have real break risks between wake-up and breakfast, but 3x3 or 4x4 is fine as long as the interior is impressive and rich-looking. you can accomplish this with art, or if you don't have a decent artists, a good constructor making wooden chess boards really livens up the room. carpets also help. the spacious interior buff is MUCH better off on your combo dining room/rec room, so people leave that much happier.

lights are divisive; like mzbundifund says, colonists are frequently not in their rooms to enjoy the light. however, 'in darkness' is another one of those little moodlets that add up to being a big overall mood problem and it becomes an issue. the way i tend to handle it is to just use the built-in switch on the lights to turn them off most of the time, and if i notice someone pissy and in darkness is an issue, i'll have someone turn on the light in their room.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 2, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Coolguye posted:

spacious interior buff lasts for a while as they leave the room; i see it as basically the way to handle the 'just woke up' problem. people tend to wake up hungry and grumpy, so having a nice room with a spacious interior basically gives them the mood edge they need to go get breakfast and play a game of chess before they go out.

that said, the experiments i've been running don't imply a huge benefit to shooting for spacious interior in bedrooms. it's important to not make them CRAMPED because then you end up with situations where people immediately have real break risks between wake-up and breakfast, but 3x3 or 4x4 is fine as long as the interior is impressive and rich-looking. you can accomplish this with art, or if you don't have a decent artists, a good constructor making wooden chess boards really livens up the room. carpets also help. the spacious interior buff is MUCH better off on your combo dining room/rec room, so people leave that much happier.

lights are divisive; like mzbundifund says, colonists are frequently not in their rooms to enjoy the light. however, 'in darkness' is another one of those little moodlets that add up to being a big overall mood problem and it becomes an issue. the way i tend to handle it is to just use the built-in switch on the lights to turn them off most of the time, and if i notice someone pissy and in darkness is an issue, i'll have someone turn on the light in their room.

You could probably solve both those by having a large, lit corridor off your bedrooms.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Coolguye posted:

Lights are divisive; like mzbundifund says, colonists are frequently not in their rooms to enjoy the light. however, 'in darkness' is another one of those little moodlets that add up to being a big overall mood problem and it becomes an issue. the way i tend to handle it is to just use the built-in switch on the lights to turn them off most of the time, and if i notice someone pissy and in darkness is an issue, i'll have someone turn on the light in their room.

You're right, "in darkness" is noteworthy because it's its own individual moodlet unrelated to room quality. My strategy if someone is in distress is I convert one of the empty prison cells into a bedroom and assign it to whoever's hurting. Since prisoners are in their cells 24/7 I usually have my cells be 5x5 with lamps and other amenities.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Focus on making the area they are awake in nice and spacious and well lit. Don't make your workshops and kitchens filthy utilitarian places with stacks of items all over the place. The guy spending 10 hours a day making components is going to go nuts if it's cramped or dirty or ugly. Give him a nice chair, put a nice statue next to him, give him a few tiles buffer between him and the stockpiles, make sure he's lit.
Heck, making your farms pretty helps too. I like to put rows of flowers and statues outside around my fields so even people outside working the land can feel good about where they live.
And make your hospital real nice. TV's covering the beds, tons of art, spacious. Sick people need that poo poo.

Don't bother with lighting in bedrooms, but it can be a big plus to give prison cells lights and tables and chairs. Make your prison cells luxury suites and you can recruit them easier and less prison breaks.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 2, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

You could probably solve both those by having a large, lit corridor off your bedrooms.

in darkness requires sustained exposure to over 50% light to get rid of, same way it requires sustained exposure to <50% light to acquire. ironically, sleeping is the best time to do it because you can count on the colonist being in one place for a while.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You know what. I'm going to share a few mods I use. Most are from this thread anyway

stack XXL
It makes things stack 10 or 100 times better. You no longer need a freezer the size of a football stadium to feed 30 people. You can customize the specifics.

LongRangePodLauncher
Increases pod launcher range to 400% of normal.

More vanilla factions
Increases the number of factions so you have more trade partners and so you can attack more villages and cities without losing vital allies

Realistic Darkness Lighter Version V2.0 A16
Makes light/darkness look better. This is the lighter version because the original makes night so dark that combat becomes impossible

Defensive Positions
Lets you split colonists into squads that you can select with 1-9 keys on your numpad. Like most RTS games have. It also lets you set combat positions for colonists so at the push of a button your colonists will man the ramparts and prepare the mortars.

advanced powergeneration
Provides more power generators. Because vanilla Rimworld is based around having 6-10 colonists and doesn't stack power needs well later on.

Allow Tool
Lets you select more stuff at the same time. It also lets you unforbid the whole map at the push of a button. It also has key modifiers so you don't unforbid structures and rotten corpses.

Trading Spot A16
Lets you designate a spot where traders should go. Instead of having them hug the side of the mountain that your base is in

Miniaturisation
Lets you uninstall most things in the game like work benches and deep drills so your colonists can move them elsewhere without having to take them apart at a penalty.

Less Arbitrary Surgery
Makes surgery not require 10 save reloads to install a loving peg leg. It makes surgery quite not-loving-terrible in fact.

Silly Builder, Surgery is for Doctors
When dismantling a mechanoid. The game counts your medicine skill. But the task counts as construction so it sends builders to do it and they fail a lot at it because they are not doctors. This mod fixes that

Better Pathfinding
Made by notable good-poster Zhentar. The mods make pawns take more efficient paths when walking

I Can Fix It!
Replaces destroyed buildings with a blueprint so pawns come restore what was there

Step Away From The Medicine
Makes it possible to set default medicine use across your entire population at the push of a button. To keep doctors from defaulting to the most expensive types

HugsLib
I have no idea what this is but most mods need you to have it

EdB Prepare Carefully
Lets you customize your pawns stats and equipment before starting a new colony. It also has an optional point system if you want to work within the balance of three random pawns

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 2, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

No Orassan Empire? How are you gonna get harems of catgirls? :v:

Okay goons, give me some pointers on making a main base entrance which will effectively slow down enemies so I can gently caress 'em up before melee happens, but which will not overly slow down my own people when they're off out hunting or whatever.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mister Adequate posted:

Okay goons, give me some pointers on making a main base entrance which will effectively slow down enemies so I can gently caress 'em up before melee happens, but which will not overly slow down my own people when they're off out hunting or whatever.

Most melee raiders will freely walk over traps to get to your turrets so just surround your turrets with deadfall traps. Outside of that, a shitload of turrets in an arc pattern surrounded by sandbags don't put turrets within 4 spaces of each other, otherwise if they blow up they'll start a chain reaction that will destroy all of your defenses.

Also, IEDs are really good if you funnel all of the raiders into a tight corridor and slow them down with rocks so that they all group together.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Mister Adequate posted:

:f5:

Mister Adequate posted:

This is what I've been using.

One volley of mortars then when they hit the wall I move around them and shoot at them from behind with assault rifles. If they are really crowded I fire at them as they come through the door. If there are any alive after that I pull back to the sandbags at the main entrance.

I tried using turrets but they keep getting blown up and damaging the walls.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

i am using this:

from the sandbags to the outer entrance, it is 45 tiles - aka the range of a sniper rifle. rubble up front keeps people from hanging around, and the turrets are basically there as massive distractions. when a raid comes in, i put paired snipers and riflemen at the sandbags at the end of the hall. snipers take pot shots at people as they screw around with the turrets, and the second line is where the riflemen also open up. since darkness doesn't provide a -to hit any more, i roofed most of the area to keep grass and trees from growing spontaneously and providing cover (as you see in the middle where the rooftops couldn't reach). i need to place some rubble there in the middle to encourage dudes to seek cover within the firing arcs of the turrets and floor the rest to keep more trees from coming up, but that's a longer term plan. the turrets do occasionally get blown up, but this entire fortification extends away from my base so the entire thing is basically a crumple zone anyway.

the walls will eventually get another single-wide wall a step out from where they are now. i will then put a tree growing zone between the two walls and install incendiary IEDs between the two walls. inner wall will have some stone doors to accommodate everything. sappers, ostensibly, will cut through the outer wall and cause a rush to the inner wall's door, where they'll trigger the incendiary bomb and start a fire in the very enclosed space between the two walls.

if that doesn't work out for whatever reason i'm just going to put the door on the outer wall, put the IED behind it, and hold the door outer door open. idiots should rush right in to the outer door and get blown/burnt up.

e: and then you have the thrumbo in his little barn out front because i don't want to feed him properly and god drat boy if you gently caress with that guy you deserve what you get

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 2, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's a mod that adds more turrets, they're pretty balanced too. There's a sniper turret that has long range but is slow. There's a "military grade" turret tht's like the improvised turret but better, but explodes bigger. There's some sort of close combat turret that has a shotgun and barely explodes, designed for use indoors. There's even a really expensive rocket turret.

I think it's part of the same mod, but it adds fixed machine gun emplacements too. Little wall with a machine gun on top, you order a person to man it and it shoots.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Oh nice ideas guys, I've only just teched to turrets (tribal start) and my main problem was just dudes could reach my dudes before they got cut down. Less of a problem now that we've pulled some guns off corpses but still. There's definitely stuff here I can adapt going forwards!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

for what it's worth, i don't even bother mustering my troops unless there's over 10 enemies at this point. the turret nooks i use severely hamper the turret's line of fire, but it also means that only one melee dude can mess with the turret at once and it's loving friendly fire city among the raiders. the last group of mercs that came through numbered 9 guys, 4 with personal shields and 5 with weapons - and i lost one turret out of the lot. the thrumbo was in his barn at the time so nobody messed with him either. all told though, i'm pretty sure the mercs did more damage to each other than they did to my equipment. i've generally been very pleased with this setup.

e: the other reason i appreciated roofing the kill zone, fwiw, is because 95% of the junk that the raiders drop now will be roofed and therefore not deteriorate no matter how preoccupied my haulers are.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 2, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mister Adequate posted:

Oh nice ideas guys, I've only just teched to turrets (tribal start) and my main problem was just dudes could reach my dudes before they got cut down. Less of a problem now that we've pulled some guns off corpses but still. There's definitely stuff here I can adapt going forwards!

Part of the *vision* of the game is that melee has any role in a world with guns. To make this happen he made guns wildly inaccurate and short range. The game doesn't want you to shoot down all the invaders because they close, the game wants you to pretend it's the 1500's and have a row of pikemen in front of the muskets because you're lucky to get in a single volley before the enemy is on you. So it's actually good to have a bunch of swordsmen guarding your shooters.

Guns with bayonets would be so drat useful in the rimworld universe.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Baronjutter posted:

Part of the *vision* of the game is that melee has any role in a world with guns. To make this happen he made guns wildly inaccurate and short range. The game doesn't want you to shoot down all the invaders because they close, the game wants you to pretend it's the 1500's and have a row of pikemen in front of the muskets because you're lucky to get in a single volley before the enemy is on you. So it's actually good to have a bunch of swordsmen guarding your shooters.

Yeah true, downside is melee's so quick to maim and kill I've grown averse to it, but I should probably actually get a couple of fightmans on my frontline.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

yeah i also thought of this with my fortification setup, the doors behind the sandbags serve two overall purposes; 1, they provide something to close when manhunter packs i don't want to screw around with show up. 2, they provide a way to funnel dudes through small spaces for my melee guys to engage unfairly if for whatever reason the shooting fortification is overrun.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

Sadly your musketeers are more likely to headshot the pikemen than hit their target with a setup like that.

Your pikemen are also going to need a few days in the hospital between fights and the game is not willing to offer that. Each soldier you have is expected to kill a hundred or so raiders/savages and the only way to make them last that long is to keep range for all encounters. Melee fighting makes losing limbs easy and deaths very possible. At range your guys are more likely to get knocked down.

Rimworld is essentially starship troopers.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 2, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the injuries part is why i tried to approach the defense idea with ablative armor/distractions in mind

nobody gives a crap if a turret blows up, but if someone goes down and gets a bad scar on an eye or loses an arm or leg i am practically forced to make a bionic replacement due to the huge damage it does to productivity. and not everyone is happy about that. army in the above screenshot is gonna have -10 mood forever because he got his hand cut off in a close melee, and he is a prosthophobe. he's one of the chief reasons i'm trying to figure out whether or not i should hang around for goodness only knows how long to get 250 uranium to build the critical ship parts i need, or just say hell with it and devote a year to making mammoth amounts of devilstrand and pemmican so i can start the oregon trail.

i could just make sure he gets killed i guess but that goes against my gamer ethos. if you sign on, you're coming along if i have anything to say about it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Oh also last time I checked the game's aiming mechanics make it way way more likely to hit something next to the tile you're shooting at than your target. So if you're shooting at a dude who is sword fighting another dude, you often end up having a better chance to hit the other dude because every stray shot that lands on the wrong tile seems to automatically hit who ever is there, while shots that do hit the correct tile still have a chance of missing the target. This is why he got rid of the ability to fire at the ground because people realized it was way better to just aim at the ground next to your target than your target. This may have been changed slightly though.

I think next game I start I'm going to massively tweak all the guns to have at least double the accuracy and slightly longer range, it's just silly and frustrating watching your 4 high skill marksmen be unable to down a couple tribals before they reach melee range.

Actually if I change them now will it update in-game or would I have to start a new game?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Coolguye posted:

e: the other reason i appreciated roofing the kill zone, fwiw, is because 95% of the junk that the raiders drop now will be roofed and therefore not deteriorate no matter how preoccupied my haulers are.

Why on earth did I never think of this.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Baronjutter posted:

There's a mod that adds more turrets, they're pretty balanced too. There's a sniper turret that has long range but is slow. There's a "military grade" turret tht's like the improvised turret but better, but explodes bigger. There's some sort of close combat turret that has a shotgun and barely explodes, designed for use indoors. There's even a really expensive rocket turret.

I think it's part of the same mod, but it adds fixed machine gun emplacements too. Little wall with a machine gun on top, you order a person to man it and it shoots.

Yeah I love that mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

They throw 40 tribals at me. I might recruit 1 person every 3 hours of game play. Am I supposed to met those 40 tribals bravehart style? Then when they flee I have 15 dead colonists out of a total 45 and in another 15 minutes there's going to be another 40 tribals. Or raiders with rocket launchers or aliens with space miniguns/fiery rocket launchers.

I would personally be okay with disposable troops. One thing I don't like about this game is all the required kiting. If I get an alien raid I can't met that with assault rifles. I have to kite them with snipers or I will lose several lives per day/crashed ship.

Does anyone have a mod that gives you colonists faster? I want to make disposable conscripts.