Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
That's what the murderholes are there to deter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Groverschloss

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

I have a 7-day box of Freeze dried food with a 25 year shelf life in my apartment and my car, does that make me a prepper? :ohdear:

I used to keep a month of canned food, not so much for natural disasters, but for economic emergencies like a month of being unemployed. I stopped doing that when I started running into 6 months of unemployment :smith:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

evilweasel posted:

they survived world war 2 because they weren't used as anything more than a neat looking house, if anyone decided to make an issue of them they were converted into rubble

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Monte_Cassino

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

evilweasel posted:

they survived world war 2 because they weren't used as anything more than a neat looking house, if anyone decided to make an issue of them they were converted into rubble

I thought I remembered reading about several that survived direct hits from bombs but a cursory Google search isn't turning anything up so I guess I'm wrong.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Imo, just get a bulldozer or some other heavy vehicle, weld some steel plates to it (and by some I mean enough to make a makeshift tank), and drive it hard into whatever you want to get into. Explosives strapped to the outside may be an additional option to further enhance your killdozer as evidenced by ISIS doing the same

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's probably really hard to destroy a castle, but not too tough to put a big enough hole in it with a couple sticks of dynamite to get in and ransack the place.

Castles made it through WW2 because mostly they're a waste to bombs to try to take out and largely are in the middle of nowhere

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHOog45llUU

Your prepper plans will go off just fine as long as the urban ferals line up and walk directly into your line of fire. Also make sure your 100 round magazine doesn't jam. Or your prepper partner doesn't make you cry because he made his boom booms too loud.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I prep by doing kegel exercises so that I can be the favored concubine of Lord Kaos's harem.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I genuinely wish these people would get the mental help they so obviously need when I see videos like that

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Your prepper plans will go off just fine as long as the urban ferals line up and walk directly into your line of fire. Also make sure your 100 round magazine doesn't jam. Or your prepper partner doesn't make you cry because he made his boom booms too loud.

DAMMIT STEVE :qq:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

It's probably really hard to destroy a castle, but not too tough to put a big enough hole in it with a couple sticks of dynamite to get in and ransack the place.

Castles made it through WW2 because mostly they're a waste to bombs to try to take out and largely are in the middle of nowhere

It was also easier to just bypass them, cut off their supply lines, and starve out the inhabitants.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Larch posted:

I thought I remembered reading about several that survived direct hits from bombs but a cursory Google search isn't turning anything up so I guess I'm wrong.

Might you be thinking of flak towers?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Xelkelvos posted:

Imo, just get a bulldozer or some other heavy vehicle, weld some steel plates to it (and by some I mean enough to make a makeshift tank), and drive it hard into whatever you want to get into. Explosives strapped to the outside may be an additional option to further enhance your killdozer as evidenced by ISIS doing the same

I like that you suggested a killdozer

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I didn't even have to click the link to know what video it was. The rhetoric coming out of these morons combined with their delicate nature in reality generates enough schadenfreude to keep me sated indefinitely. :allears:

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Al! posted:

Why would you use a canon when you could just build a fire against the door then chop through it when weakened enough?

Because defensive doors are typically made of hardened, reinforced wood that doesn't ignite easily (just look at your standard fire door), it's relatively easy for the defenders to extinguish a fire or at least protect the door by cooling it from the other side, the attackers can't approach it because the area's too hot, the whole business of stacking fuel and waiting for the fire to do its work takes time, and because starting an uncontrolled fire in a location that you want to raid is a risky business.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hermetic posted:

I didn't even have to click the link to know what video it was. The rhetoric coming out of these morons combined with their delicate nature in reality generates enough schadenfreude to keep me sated indefinitely. :allears:

It's seriously like a bunch of kids pretending they're tough in the woods and then one of them falls off a tree branch and starts crying and none of the other ones know what to do. It's the exact same willful disconnect between fantasy and reality

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Aesop Poprock posted:

It's seriously like a bunch of kids pretending they're tough in the woods and then one of them falls off a tree branch and starts crying and none of the other ones know what to do. It's the exact same willful disconnect between fantasy and reality

Oh, Definitely, I work with a couple of these people who will not shut the gently caress up about ISIS detonating and EMP, and how everyone is going to become cannibals, and how I will wish I could come live with them in their hidden fortress full of guns and food. :jerkbag:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Oh, Definitely, I work with a couple of these people who will not shut the gently caress up about ISIS detonating and EMP, and how everyone is going to become cannibals, and how I will wish I could come live with them in their hidden fortress full of guns and food. :jerkbag:

How would ISIS even get an EMP :psyduck:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I've given up on trying to ferret out this logic and just go on break 10 minutes early. Basically take your pick on right wing radio personalities

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Perfectly Safe posted:

Because defensive doors are typically made of hardened, reinforced wood that doesn't ignite easily (just look at your standard fire door), it's relatively easy for the defenders to extinguish a fire or at least protect the door by cooling it from the other side, the attackers can't approach it because the area's too hot, the whole business of stacking fuel and waiting for the fire to do its work takes time, and because starting an uncontrolled fire in a location that you want to raid is a risky business.

You probably be better served pouring bleach and ammonia down their unguarded ventilation intakes and wait for their gas masks to fail, if they even have that or the awareness to put them on in time.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Young Freud posted:

You probably be better served pouring bleach and ammonia down their unguarded ventilation intakes and wait for their gas masks to fail, if they even have that or the awareness to put them on in time.

Just do it at night when they're asleep!

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
New rounds of craziness from the Bundy et al facebook pages

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU6fxC5CXMg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dveyFG1Cayo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uGn-G5tbE8

(Standard SovCit 'real money/name/us is a corporation' etc. bullshit.

http://reagangirl.com/before-the-bundys-and-the-hammonds-the-blm-put-these-shoshones-through-a-living-hell/

quote:

Alvada Owen There are terrorist ISIS training camps all across America and our government knows all about them and do nothing. But had no problem in attacking women and children killing them at Ruby Ridge and Waco. Have you forgotten ?

quote:

Steve Vogel Federal means a covenant between God and Man. The creators of The Declaration of Independence declared God is Earth and earth is God. This is where our unalienable human rights come from. We The People have a right to protect all human rights. This is why the Second Amendment was written.

quote:

Deborah Sue Venetucci I'm really curious how many people that support the Bundys hear a beep every time they're on a phone call like a long beep as though somebody held down a number key? Every single phone call I am on that happens. But that's okay. I invited them to come do my dishes and cook dinner and clean my house. And told them they can't go protect the borders and catch rael terrorists rather than listen in on it single mothers conversations. They are really hard up!!!

Also lots of posts about how anytime they can't access anything on the internet it's because the Feds are hiding the truth.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

morons confuse the EMP generated by a nuclear detonation, and an EMP attack, which requires an ICBM to detonate the device at the altitude needed

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

See, but this rancher actually has an argument other than "I don't wanna!". Too bad about the entire keep grazing for 20 years after losing your court case though...

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

morons confuse the EMP generated by a nuclear detonation, and an EMP attack, which requires an ICBM to detonate the device at the altitude needed

More likely morons can't distinguish between reality and fiction. They see movies like Ocean's 11, The Matrix, or Goldeneye where an EMP generator is just a machine you turn on and they think that's a thing that exists in the real world.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bar Crow posted:

More likely morons can't distinguish between reality and fiction. They see movies like Ocean's 11, The Matrix, or Goldeneye where an EMP generator is just a machine you turn on and they think that's a thing that exists in the real world.

I mean technically there's a real-life technology called an explosively pumped flux compression generator that can generate a (much smaller) EMP in a small area, probably still enough to take out some city blocks if you did it right. It works by running a ton of energy through a coil so it builds up a huge magnetic field, then blowing up a shaped charge running around the outside so it progressively destroys/compresses the coil from one end to the other, forcing the magnetic field and stored energy into a smaller and smaller place until it's up in the millions of watts in a tiny area, which then creates the EMP.

Of course if ISIS had the explosives and technology required to detonate them as precisely as required they would probably just blow up the world trade center again or something since you generally only use an EMP when you don't want to kill people and destroy poo poo.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

I mean technically there's a real-life technology called an explosively pumped flux compression generator that can generate a (much smaller) EMP in a small area, probably still enough to take out some city blocks if you did it right. It works by running a ton of energy through a coil so it builds up a huge magnetic field, then blowing up a shaped charge running around the outside so it progressively destroys/compresses the coil from one end to the other, forcing the magnetic field and stored energy into a smaller and smaller place until it's up in the millions of watts in a tiny area, which then creates the EMP.

As seen in the hit documentary Ocean's 12.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Of course if ISIS had the explosives and technology required to detonate them as precisely as required they would probably just blow up the world trade center again or something since you generally only use an EMP when you don't want to kill people and destroy poo poo.

Doesn't matter, it's just a boogeyman for old white men to be afraid of, like his urban ferral neighbor who smiles and says hello every afternoon.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Also you can harden devices against emp's and it's not hard or complicated. Just expensive. Military spec electronics are hardened a lot all ready.

Emp is not a magic switch that makes every electronic never work again like preppers think. They think it will be the middle ages with guns over night.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

They already took out the WTC and what was the death toll on that? A couple thousand. If they could deploy an EMP in a highly populated city Americans would devour themselves. The preppers would do the work for them because they would lash out at anyone that even looks at their property and isn't white.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bombadilillo posted:

Also you can harden devices against emp's and it's not hard or complicated. Just expensive. Military spec electronics are hardened a lot all ready.

Emp is not a magic switch that makes every electronic never work again like preppers think. They think it will be the middle ages with guns over night.

eh, basically, I mean I have a rudimentary grasp of it, but even I know that it doesn't magically make electricity defunct forever and ever everywhere.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rick_Hunter posted:

They already took out the WTC and what was the death toll on that? A couple thousand. If they could deploy an EMP in a highly populated city Americans would devour themselves. The preppers would do the work for them because they would lash out at anyone that even looks at their property and isn't white.

Eh, I still don't get why everyone automatically becomes a cannibal when electronics stop working. I guess the iPhones the kids these days have their faces stuck in keep us inline from tearing each other limb from limb.

It's all just a reflection of how small minded and terrified of anything these kind of people are.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Iron Crowned posted:

Eh, I still don't get why everyone automatically becomes a cannibal when electronics stop working. I guess the iPhones the kids these days have their faces stuck in keep us inline from tearing each other limb from limb.

It's all just a reflection of how small minded and terrified of anything these kind of people are.

Agreed. For one the size of these non-nuclear devices, didn't hurricane Sandy kind of teach us it more or less works out ok when power goes out? And that was on top of a horrible storm.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gounads posted:

Agreed. For one the size of these non-nuclear devices, didn't hurricane Sandy kind of teach us it more or less works out ok when power goes out? And that was on top of a horrible storm.

Or the citywide blackouts New York had 10 years ago, or any blackout anywhere for that matter.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

^^ I would say the 1968 Detroit Riots (the standard for any fears based on cities) or the 1978 New York Blackout that resulted in a lot of looting.

Iron Crowned posted:

It's because all this technology has made us so decadent and lazy. If only we could get back to the Puritan Work Ethic and then find Jesus, we'd all be okay! So, in short, it's just more fear that's part and parcel of a deluded idea that we're all secret Christians but we need something big to make us part of the flock again!

It's a nice bullshit idea to push the whole mythology that Americans just need to be pioneers instead of evolving out of that stupid mindset that hasn't been true in nearly 165 years. And idiots still hold onto it because they think if only they could do that suddenly they wouldn't have any problems ever. It's a philosophy for the stupid.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Bombadilillo posted:

That's how it works in action movies, so it must be how it works in real life. :downs:

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
EMP's are the white man's biggest fears. We're mostly safe in our neighborhoods but gently caress if someone could ruin our internet or ATMs or TV.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Ape of Naples posted:

EMP's are the white man's biggest fears. We're mostly safe in our neighborhoods but gently caress if someone could ruin our internet or ATMs or TV.

don't forget investing in gold is a thing :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Iron Crowned posted:

Because if people aren't just waiting to eat each other, that means that I might not be special for being half decent and/or I won't get to play warrior and shoot urban ferals like I fantasized.