Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
[quote="“Aesop Poprock”" post="“476997509”"]
Wtf dogs should not have car skirts
[/quote]

Until we legalize bolt-on dog mods, you think of a better way to create downforce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Nuns with Guns posted:

As part of breeding to "the standard" english bulldogs can no longer reproduce naturally and have to reproduce via artificial insemination and cesareans

Same with French bulldogs. Bulldogs are my favorite breed but it feels pretty cruel to breed them. Sadly they are a big target for lovely peapple who run puppy mills so it's not hard to find one from a rescue.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, show breeds, and to a lesser extent pure breeds, are a cauldron of genetic disorders and misery. That's why I tend to adopt mutts like my latest Big Stupid Dog (Lab/Mastiff/???). I did in inherit my Small Yappy Dog (mini pincher pure bred) from the previous owner passing, but so far she's about 8 years old and seems to be going fine.

Lab/Mastiffs are awesome. There's one that comes into my work and he's one of my favorite dogs ever.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Lab/Mastiffs are awesome. There's one that comes into my work and he's one of my favorite dogs ever.

Lived with a roommate's lab/mastiff for a while and he was a legit good dogge. Biggest, dopeyist, nicest guy ever. Just don't leave food on the dinner table because that was basically eye level if he stood straight up.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Nuns with Guns posted:

As part of breeding to "the standard" english bulldogs can no longer reproduce naturally and have to reproduce via artificial insemination and cesareans

I am of the opinion that if you ever have to consider jerking a dog off into a bowl to use a turkey baster on another dog, then it's just time to let that particualr breed of dog die off.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Nuebot posted:

I am of the opinion that if you ever have to consider jerking a dog off into a bowl to use a turkey baster on another dog, then it's just time to let that particualr breed of dog die off.

You are right but you have underestimated the pull of dollar dollar bills yall.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nuebot posted:

we should probably not have hosed up the dogs like that in the first place, but i guess eugenics is okay if its not humans we're loving around with

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

we should probably not have hosed up the dogs like that in the first place, but i guess eugenics is okay if its not humans we're loving around with

we've been breeding for selected traits since the dawn of agriculture, it's just that normally it was for increased crop yield or docility in livestock. This is just done so assholes can pay 10 grand for a dog and feel good about themselves for doing it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dog breeders are completely insane, and so are people who buy purebred dogs.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Absolutely. It's the demand by people who want a dog as a fashion accessory that drives a lot of the industry.

Mutts are so much better, because you're severely reducing the genetic depression the arises from most pure bred programs --hybrid vigor, in this case intraspecies instead of cross species. Intelligence is strongly selected for with most breeds, and Mutts/mixed breeds usually come on top.

For instance I call Bull my Big Stupid Dog, not because he's actually dumb. In fact he's probably one of the smarter dogs I've had and I've more or less had to toddler proof the house. He's insatiably curious and his criteria for determining if something is food or not is actually putting it in his mouth and chewing it. He's figured out how to open some of my doors (which necessitated a crash door-knob change one weekend), has a toy box and puts toys back when he's done with them (except for BearBear, that stays in his dog bed. Always. DO NOT REMOVE).

No he's "Big Stupid Dog" for two reasons. He has more than once battering rammed a tree chasing a squirrel. And he is FUNDAMENTALLY unable to make the connection between trying to sniff a skunk with getting sprayed in the face. Thank god for the chemist that came up with the H2O2/Baking Soda/Dishsoap remedy, since Big Stupid Dog gets sprayed at least once a year.

He's getting up there in years, and don't imagine he's long for the world and when he's gone I'll be sad. But I'll also be getting another rescue mutt shortly after, that's for sure. They're the best.

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 12:51 on Oct 3, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Conch Shell Corp posted:

we've been breeding for selected traits since the dawn of agriculture, it's just that normally it was for increased crop yield or docility in livestock. This is just done so assholes can pay 10 grand for a dog and feel good about themselves for doing it.

oh of course, we've been doing it for years, nothing wrong with specifically breeding a dog to be unable to gently caress then

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
purebred dog people and breeders are bougie trash.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Get a kelpie for sheep work and a blue heeler for cattle work. Most other dogs are stupid anyway :can: If you want a pet for your yard, don't even bother with a purebreed, get a cheap kelpie x heeler mongrel. Problem solved.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

sneakyfrog posted:

purebred dog people and breeders are bougie trash.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah how could we criticise animal cruelty without bringing CLASS WAR into it?

'I'm communist' is the new 'my girlfriend'.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

My curvy communist girlfriend

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Strategic Tea posted:

Many purebred dogs cost well into the thousands and have a variety of physical ailments so that they can conform to breed standards set in place by eugenicists

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Strategic Tea posted:

posting about posting is just an extension of the state superstructure into the surrounding social space

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

purple death ray posted:

My curvy communist girlfriend
me omw 2 steal ur girl

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
My parents' last dog was a purebred black lab, and Molly was a loving awesome dog. Purebreds are only bad when it's some kind of weird hosed up show breed, if it's not a fashion-accessory dog there shouldn't be anything wrong with a purebred beyond the price tag.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

My parents' last dog was a purebred black lab, and Molly was a loving awesome dog. Purebreds are only bad when it's some kind of weird hosed up show breed, if it's not a fashion-accessory dog there shouldn't be anything wrong with a purebred beyond the price tag.
Purebred labs develop hip problems, like most purebred medium-large breeds.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FactsAreUseless posted:

She lived over 10 years without any hip problems- she did hurt her back leg late in life and it never quite healed properly even with vet attention, but that was about the worst health problem she ended up with. :shrug:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

DACK FAYDEN posted:

me omw 2 steal ur girl

poo poo.

:same:

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i'm a purebred jew

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

i prefer my doggos family trees to fork once in a while. just a weird genetics thing i guess.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

She lived over 10 years without any hip problems- she did hurt her back leg late in life and it never quite healed properly even with vet attention, but that was about the worst health problem she ended up with. :shrug:
Good!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

True.DAT

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FactsAreUseless posted:

Purebred humans also develop hip problems. Problems are a matter of age even in perfectly well developed breeds because the dogs just have to die of something

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Come on, now. You can't cite one anecdote as disproof of a general trend.

steinrokkan posted:

Purebred humans also develop hip problems. Problems are a matter of age even in perfectly well developed breeds because the dogs just have to die of something

This isn't a real argument, watch:

"Purebred strains poo poo themselves"
"Well, even purebred humans poo poo themselves."

Drunk Nerds has a new favorite as of 21:21 on Oct 3, 2017

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

the old ceremony posted:

i'm a purebred jew

I'm not sure how to make a joke about "mutt Jews" not sound really racist so this is the best I could do

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i'm glad we've all decided to abandon the concept of domestication because a couple of retards decided that breeding a kind of dog that has an inside out face and no legs was a good idea

anyway i'm making burgers tonight so i'll be out chasing down an aurochs on foot all day

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

steinrokkan posted:

Labs are notorious for their hip problems. It really is a thing

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

cock hero flux posted:

i'm glad we've all decided to abandon the concept of domestication because a couple of retards decided that breeding a kind of dog that has an inside out face and no legs was a good idea

anyway i'm making burgers tonight so i'll be out chasing down an aurochs on foot all day

This is a great comeback to a post I don't think anybody ever actually made

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

purple death ray posted:

he's not the cock hero we need, but he's the one we deserve

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

purple death ray posted:

honestly i thought so too but upon actually reading back a bit it seems to work pretty well as a response to "i guess eugenics is okay when we're not doing it on humans" so pretend i directed it at that post

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

cock hero flux posted:

honestly i thought so too but upon actually reading back a bit it seems to work pretty well as a response to "i guess eugenics is okay when we're not doing it on humans" so pretend i directed it at that post

Maybe you don't know this but many purebreed breeders literally breed according to eugenics, rather than breeding for healthier or stronger or smarter dogs. Eugenics is significantly stupider than domestication and leads to dogs with family trees that are more incestuous than Charles II's.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

A strong argument against racial purity ideologies.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I demand that the dog breeders of the world unite and resolve in breeding only the healthiest, friendliest, but most physically powerful dogs the world has ever seen. I demand cold noses, strong hearts, and enormous stompy paws.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

[quote="“FactsAreUseless”" post="“477025169”"]
A strong argument against racial purity ideologies.
[/quote]

And the Habsburgs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Rough Lobster posted:

I demand that the dog breeders of the world unite and resolve in breeding only the healthiest, friendliest, but most physically powerful dogs the world has ever seen. I demand cold noses, strong hearts, and enormous stompy paws.

:yeah: