Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

https://youtu.be/xk9sLGu_KB0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Does anyone have any tips for reducing finger slide noise on acoustics? I actually don't mind it normally, but in the winter when my fingertips and callouses really dry out it gets really obnoxious to the point of almost overpowering the actual notes. The only things I've found that help are to remoisten my fingertips in water a bit and to slide further down the fingertip away from the callouses.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Water dries your skin out even more. Maybe try moisturizer?

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
you kinda learn to sort of lift and mute I'm bad at explaining

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Two solutions.

Touch.

Coated strings.

Those are really the only two.

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

Verman posted:

Two solutions.

Touch.

Coated strings.

Those are really the only two.

I mean "moisturize your hands" will solve the underlying issue.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Oh I moisturize the poo poo out of my hands because they'll crack and bleed at work if I don't, it's just a losing battle. I think I'm finding out why people don't put a lot of aggressive sliding in their acoustic songs.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

At a classical guitar concert I went to recently, the guy played a piece that had a ton of slides on the wound strings that sounded great and I was like whaaat. I played around a bit at home and the best I could figure out was avoiding the calluses and sliding with the meaty bit, like you said. Tricky technique.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Have you tried using fastfret on the strings?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Not sure this was the brightest life choice, but it sure is fun. Real mindfuck if you've just been playing six strings for the entire time though. Works well until you look at it and the brain just gives up.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

For those of you that have tried these things, is there a big difference between a QSC CP8 and something like the Alto TS408 or Headrush FRFR-108 at low volume? I understand that the QSC stays accurate all the way up until your ears bleed, where the cheaper speakers may not. But is it worth the $300 difference for HX Stomp usage at low-medium (never gigging) volume?

The reason I'm considering PA speakers instead of studio monitors is because I'd like the option of dragging it along to jam at a friends' house. Maybe I should just get a Boss Katana.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Now you point it out, it's like an AI image of a guitar but strings instead of fingers.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Elissimpark posted:

Now you point it out, it's like an AI image of a guitar but strings instead of fingers.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Triads rule. As Mick Goodrick said, "there is a lot more to triadic harmony than most people expect." And they always sound consonant and good.

I'm pretty bad at soloing but when I need to take a solo I sometimes play different triad inversions up the neck, sounds pretty good with minimal effort.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

disclaimer overly specific and premium guitar chat tooooone for the doctors out there: realizing now going back to SG shape after switching to LP for a while why I thought the LP had a shorter scale at first. it's just the neck is so much farther left on the body. the first frets feel so much farther away. it's not a bad thing really. but a lightweight LP is debatably more comfortable sitting down if you're playing lower frets. just because how the LP balances on your knee. but then vice versa higher fret access on the SG is far more playable. not just because of the cutaway but because of that neck shift on the body.

it's nitpicky though I can still get the SG to be very comfortable sitting and it's now my lightest guitar by a full 1 lb. It's only 6 lb 5 oz. The custom shop is 1 lb lighter than my factory batwing SG was actually.

I like these custombucker IIIs a lot. They have a similar taper to my H150CC which are heritages custom shop attempt to clone '59 PAF without seymour duncans. So that makes sense since both are going for very specific to the year specs. although I dunno how a real '59/'60 gibson tapers because I've never used one and never will. But these have a lot happening between 8 and 10 in terms of volume change. The modern epiphones / gibsons are much more linear.. well.. modern. Both the h150 and the sg have better feeling pots too.. like factory gibson knobs all seem to ship with inconsistent amounts of friction. and when they ship with that circuit board like on a 2024 sg standard or my 2009 you can't really replace them.

I dunno what it is about 1960-62 spec in gibson/fenders but they're perfect for me in terms of neck and pickups. the 62 strat neck I got.. this 61 'les paul'. Both the perfect size..

the h150cc would be a little better if it were a 60 neck imo don't make me trade all these in for an r0 someday heritage, release your r0 clone for 1/4 the price. i honestly do not care if im the only buyer.

but standing... standing.. the sg wins.. so easy. it's the perfect gig guitar. so light. i still need to bring a strat too tho

I give the win to heritage custom shop over gibson. the h150 is quite literally the finest made guitar ive ever owned. and i have a lot... I can spot two flaws on the gibson, even if hardly noticeable finish stuff and I don't care, the heritage is absolutely flawless except my personal opinion it should have come with a slimtaper neck. and it was far cheaper

you could also buy like 20 harley bentons instead

ethanol fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 25, 2024

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

tangentially related: sgs have always sounded brighter to me than les pauls and i'm wondering if you get that also or if i'm crazy

haven't really gotten on with any of the lps i've tried and i always wonder if i'd just prefer an sg - any classic rock stuff that's in lp territory i usually just grab the tele and i'm happy

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Southern Cassowary posted:

i usually just grab the tele and i'm happy

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Southern Cassowary posted:

tangentially related: sgs have always sounded brighter to me than les pauls and i'm wondering if you get that also or if i'm crazy

haven't really gotten on with any of the lps i've tried and i always wonder if i'd just prefer an sg - any classic rock stuff that's in lp territory i usually just grab the tele and i'm happy

well you can argue TONE WOOD. one is much thicker body and has a maple top. the pickups are also positioned slightly differently on the body. the neck pickup is moved closer to the bridge i think. and that geometry is different between '61 and batwing sg... sometimes people compare them in videos and the pickup heights are set differently. nobody ever mentions that. that will make a big diff too. i can't get on with heavy LP or fat neck shape pre '59 LP but less than 9 lb and the right neck i'm pretty happy with them

it's there but it's much less difference than switching to single coils or something tho. I used only an sg for years and they're incredibly versatile for all sorts of humbucking sounds

ethanol fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 25, 2024

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I always meant to look up if the SG bridge pickup is also slightly closer to the bridge. Someone else do that work for me :grin:.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

yeah.. maybe also look up the difference between batwing and '61 geometry... before I sell the batwing I can directly compare them.. It looks like the pickups on the '61 are angled differently. or maybe the neck angle. like the '61 pickups faces are more parallel with the strings like a les paul. the batwing pickups have this huge angle. the batwing has more of the SG tone I think of like ACDC (frankly i don't remember if he played a batwing or '61 though..) the '61 sounds a lot more like a LP. I mostly put that on the 498T pickups vs burstbuckers or custombuckers but

I didn't think the bodies would be THAT different... there's also this straight angle on the back that the batwing doesn't have. the horns are different shapes.. and so on. Dunno if the factory '61s do that too or just the custom reissues

ethanol fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jan 25, 2024

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

main thing is measurement from the bridge/nut to pole pieces for each pickup. Even 1mm difference can make a noticeable change in tone and feel. I've heard that certain eras of SG or maybe the SG entirely has a slightly different distance for each pickup compared to a LP but I have never confirmed this.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Man, after buying the JM JM, it's interesting to see the output difference of each guitar.

From quiet to loud:

Fender MIM player telecaster (standard tele pickups)
Bright bridge, round sounding neck. Not super loud. Obviously sounds great clean, also sounds great driven.

Gretsch 5422 electromatic (black top filter trons)
Bright, clear across full spectrum, week balanced neck. Does well with gain but sounds best clean and at breakup.

Squier Jmascis jazzmaster (jm style single coils).
Incredibly bright bridge, terrific and clear neck. Great volume. Pretty great with gain and absolutely bonkers clean.

Gibson les Paul 50s tribute (490/498)
Standard LP Sound. Bright warm bridge, dark neck. Lots of gain. Sounds okay clean, fantastic overdriven.

If I change up any of my guitars, it requires adjusting my volume/gain as they all have different pickups and output levels. I'm pretty surprised the jazzmaster is as loud as it is. I don't recall who said it earlier in this thread but it has become the guitar I grab first. It's great and I love playing it clean.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

main thing is measurement from the bridge/nut to pole pieces for each pickup. Even 1mm difference can make a noticeable change in tone and feel. I've heard that certain eras of SG or maybe the SG entirely has a slightly different distance for each pickup compared to a LP but I have never confirmed this.

Well I'll measure my 3 examples bridge pup to bridge tomorrow (it's too late).. the 2009 sg standard is probably the least accurate to whatever the original was, but maybe they didn't change it. but the historic '61 and the h150 are stupidly close to original spec.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ethanol posted:

Well I'll measure my 3 examples bridge pup to bridge tomorrow (it's too late).. the 2009 sg standard is probably the least accurate to whatever the original was, but maybe they didn't change it. but the historic '61 and the h150 are stupidly close to original spec.

That would be amazing thank you! :3:

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I always meant to look up if the SG bridge pickup is also slightly closer to the bridge. Someone else do that work for me :grin:.

It is - they’re both shifted back toward the bridge a bit. That does tend to agree with stuff like the Jim Lill tone videos and the recent talk about pickup placement in the bass thread.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Leck posted:

It is - they’re both shifted back toward the bridge a bit. That does tend to agree with stuff like the Jim Lill tone videos and the recent talk about pickup placement in the bass thread.

Follow-up: how much difference and is it consistent across eras and submodels??

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

here are the measurements on my guitars.. teh 2009 sg standard has mostly the same distance from pups to pups to bridge as the '61. however the stop bar is a little farther..

centimeters

ethanol fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 26, 2024

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

ethanol posted:

here are the measurements on my guitars.. teh 2009 sg standard has mostly the same distance from pups to pups to bridge as the '61. however the stop bar is a little farther..

centimeters
So based on these, the H150/LP has the neck pickup just about at the 24th fret, and the SG is sort of between the 26th and 27th frets with minor differences based on the saddle distances. For the bridge, it's silly to think about, but it looks like the LP bridge is at about the 50th fret, and the SG is between the 53rd and 54th. I know people talk about 24 fret necks making a difference to the sound by forcing the neck pickup to move, but it seems like that wouldn't really be an issue for the SG. Appreciate the actual measurements, this is interesting if extremely nerdy stuff!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The Leck posted:

So based on these, the H150/LP has the neck pickup just about at the 24th fret, and the SG is sort of between the 26th and 27th frets with minor differences based on the saddle distances. For the bridge, it's silly to think about, but it looks like the LP bridge is at about the 50th fret, and the SG is between the 53rd and 54th. I know people talk about 24 fret necks making a difference to the sound by forcing the neck pickup to move, but it seems like that wouldn't really be an issue for the SG. Appreciate the actual measurements, this is interesting if extremely nerdy stuff!

mm i have no idea. maybe the distance to 22 fret helps you. but that all has to be a fixed distance for the scale at that point so they all come out about the same place using daisy chained dimensions (and keeping the center of the bridges lined up as the origin)

edit: the pickup covers are just thrown on my drawing btw.. not measured or to scale. only the exposed screw poles are to scale. so technically the neck pup should be vertically flipped in my drawing

ethanol fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 26, 2024

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
What part of the pickup are you talking about being near the 50th fret? At that point a PAF would be as broad as a dozen frets, and the frets would be narrower than actual fretwire.

edit I did the math and the distance from the 50th to the 51st fret on a 24.75"guitar is very slightly narrower than medium fretwire (but eerily close) and a PAF starting at the 50th fret would extend past the bridge. If you wanted to cram a pickup in as close to the bridge as possible you'd have to start at the 48th fret.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 26, 2024

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Thanks for the measurements this is really useful for me.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I like to put an SG style strap button on all of my strat or superstrat style guitars because it helps me access the higher frets when I'm standing up. With the strap behind the neck the whole guitar is easier to pivot around and hold slightly differently as you move up the neck. If it's a regular strat style strap button on the upper horn, I can't get a lot of access north of the twelfth fret without pushing my wrist into a super hosed up position.

This has become less of an issue as I've lost weight, but now I'm pretty well accustomed to it. The only guitar with any real neck dive is the 7 string Jackson Dinky. Strat bodies are heavy as poo poo and the SG is of course perfect in every way right as it came out of the factory.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Baron von Eevl posted:

What part of the pickup are you talking about being near the 50th fret? At that point a PAF would be as broad as a dozen frets, and the frets would be narrower than actual fretwire.

edit I did the math and the distance from the 50th to the 51st fret on a 24.75"guitar is very slightly narrower than medium fretwire (but eerily close) and a PAF starting at the 50th fret would extend past the bridge. If you wanted to cram a pickup in as close to the bridge as possible you'd have to start at the 48th fret.
I was going by the measurements from the bridge to the pole pieces, then working backward from there.

For a specific example of how I did those calculations on the Les Paul pickups:
Gibson scale length is 630mm
Bridge pickup (pole pieces) at 630 - 36 (bass side) = 594mm distance from the nut
Neck pickup (pole pieces) at 630 - 36 (distance to bridge pole pieces) - 123 (distance from bridge pole pieces to neck pole pieces) = 471mm distance from the nut
Using the StewMac fret calculator, with 630mm scale length, the 24th fret is at 472.5mm from the nut, and the 50th fret is at 594.9mm.

Assigning the bridge pickup position to "frets" is silly at these distances for the exact reasons you pointed out, but I was just using that as a show of how the bridge pickup is a bit closer to the bridge on the SG. The actual measurement is probably more useful in this case. On the neck pickup, the fret comparison might tell you a little more about how they're positioned, but either way, the actual distance measurements are really interesting.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm looking to sell a cheap Harley Benton guitar and maybe my old Epiphone SG, are they worth listing on eBay or should I just take them to Cash Converters for whatever they'll give me? The HB is only £85 new plus shipping, was going to offer collection to potentially sweeten the deal.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

if they're not total crap why not donate them to a school music program or youth center or something. unless you really need the cash or whatever

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

yeah you may get some money for each of them but the HB especially you'd probably be better off trying to give it away on a facebook buy-nothing/sell-nothing
get some good guitarkarma

guitarma

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Is there really any difference between bone/steel/graphite nuts?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

MrMojok posted:

Is there really any difference between bone/steel/graphite nuts?

I think there can be some differences in string friction, but friend, it is taking all my strength not to make the obvious joke here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Disco Pope posted:

I think there can be some differences in string friction, but friend, it is taking all my strength not to make the obvious joke here.

I know! I struggled to keep from making it myself.

I’d heard that a graphite nut can help the strings to stay in tune if one likes to use the tremolo bar a lot, but I’m not sure if that’s actually true.