Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You will just slide along with history playing video games and listening to podcasts and pass judgement on somebody enacting real change for LGBT people in a country that brutalizes them, because he’s mean to your democrat party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

my bony fealty posted:

if Trump started holding tribunals for CIA employees and executing them and replacing them with Trump cronies Glenn would cheer it on

does that make him good? bad? that, poster, is in your hands to decide

e: appearing on tucker carlson's show is unambiguously bad, and the more famous the guest (and greenwald brings a large audience) the worse it is. if the theory is that greenwald's pure righteous leftism will reform some of tucker's nazi viewers, lol that goes both ways and some of greenwald's pure righteous leftist viewers will be converted to nazism too.

Flesh Forge has issued a correction as of 22:08 on Apr 14, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pope Guilty posted:

Here's David Neiwert on Greenwald's long association with the far-right, beginning with his work for the World Church of the Creator. It lays out both facts and judgment, and if anything I think Neiwert is too generous in his evaluation of Greenwald, who's spent much more time with a much higher profile working for and defending fascists than most of the people we talk about in this thread.

Flesh Forge posted:

e: appearing on tucker carlson's show is unambiguously bad, and the more famous the guest (and greenwald brings a large audience) the worse it is. if the theory is that greenwald's pure righteous leftism will reform some of tucker's nazi viewers, lol that goes both ways and some of greenwald's pure righteous leftist viewers will be converted to nazism too.

These are good posts.

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

You will just slide along with history playing video games and listening to podcasts and pass judgement on somebody enacting real change for LGBT people in a country that brutalizes them, because he’s mean to your democrat party.

This is frothing-at-the-mouth, head-in-rear end gibberish.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Time will show

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
What step of losing an argument is pompous pronouncements about letting history judge, exactly?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

These are good posts.

"these lovely posts are good and this normal post is gibberish, you can trust me because I say so"

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

What step of losing an argument is pompous pronouncements about letting history judge, exactly?

Loser

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Swatting is a really really lovely thing to do. On the other hand, it's also amazing to me that the police KNOW they are so violent and lovely that they are likely to murder an innocent person that may be swatted.

In fact, if they kill somebody because of a swatting prank, the person who called in the swatting is culpable for murder.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

These are good posts.

this does a good job of demonstrating the great paradox of Greenwald. guy's got the soul of a poster and started off as exactly the kind of dipshit who whines about why HE can't say the N-word

on the other hand, he -does- infuriate the kind of chickenhawk who has spent the last twenty years demanding an ever-rising mountain of brown corpses in order to prove the British Empire wasn't THAT bad actually, so it's impossible to say if hes good or bad

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

extremely E/N take

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Everyone crying about how Glenn Greenwald is betraying Americans need to explain how Americans don't deserve to be betrayed

Edit:

my bony fealty posted:

if Trump started holding tribunals for CIA employees and executing them and replacing them with Trump cronies Glenn would cheer it on

does that make him good? bad? that, poster, is in your hands to decide

Anyone who wouldn't support this is a bootlicking bitch because it's impossible for Trump to staff any organization with competent personnel, let alone an intelligence agency.

MizPiz has issued a correction as of 22:58 on Apr 14, 2020

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

MizPiz posted:

Everyone crying about how Glenn Greenwald is betraying Americans need to explain how Americans don't deserve to be betrayed

because the next time we invade a country full of brown people for vaguely defined reasons it's gonna be the good one, dammit

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

this does a good job of demonstrating the great paradox of Greenwald. guy's got the soul of a poster and started off as exactly the kind of dipshit who whines about why HE can't say the N-word

on the other hand, he -does- infuriate the kind of chickenhawk who has spent the last twenty years demanding an ever-rising mountain of brown corpses in order to prove the British Empire wasn't THAT bad actually, so it's impossible to say if hes good or bad

Greenwald is like Tulsi Gabbard in that they're living proof that just because someone is right about some things and makes the right people mad doesn't mean that they're not bad on the whole.

That they're less bad than someone else doesn't make them good, and Greenwald continuing to associate with Tucker Carlson is as disqualifying an act as someone on the left can commit.

I've occasionally piped up in here about how I fear the growth of strasserism/ecofascism, and I fear it even more now that we seem to be heading towards a massive depression.

Greenwald is doing incredibly brave things in Brazil to stand up to one fascist, but routinely pals around on national loving TV with another. The former doesn't give him a pass to do the latter.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Azathoth posted:

Greenwald is like Tulsi Gabbard in that they're living proof that just because someone is right about some things and makes the right people mad doesn't mean that they're not bad on the whole.

That they're less bad than someone else doesn't make them good, and Greenwald continuing to associate with Tucker Carlson is as disqualifying an act as someone on the left can commit.

I've occasionally piped up in here about how I fear the growth of strasserism/ecofascism, and I fear it even more now that we seem to be heading towards a massive depression.

Greenwald is doing incredibly brave things in Brazil to stand up to one fascist, but routinely pals around on national loving TV with another. The former doesn't give him a pass to do the latter.

You're wasting your energy trying to argue with people who decided a reference to a famous line from Arrested Development was somehow flag-waiving nationalism.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

MizPiz posted:

Anyone who wouldn't support this is a bootlicking bitch because it's impossible for Trump to staff any organization with competent personnel, let alone an intelligence agency.

incompetent toadies in positions of great power afforded extreme secrecy— is not the clear improvement you think it is

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

it would be great if incompetent white supremacists are given even more power and cover to enact murderous policy, yeah, sure

please do not try responding to this with "but whatabout the current intelligence apparatus" because yes that too is bad duh

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What a brave position you built for yourself

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

my made up fictional scenario doesnt call for courage luckily

in the same vein, some things about Glenn are good, some are bad :smug:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

You're wasting your energy trying to argue with people who decided a reference to a famous line from Arrested Development was somehow flag-waiving nationalism.

drat, must have missed the Arrested Development episode about how anyone claiming the Libyan intervention is going to end badly just hates the West

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/mattgaetz/status/1249877676287983623?s=20

https://twitter.com/mattgaetz/status/1249879790078869507?s=20

lmao weird mike

https://twitter.com/EgSophie/status/1249878891512172545?s=20

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

incompetent toadies in positions of great power afforded extreme secrecy— is not the clear improvement you think it is

my bony fealty posted:

it would be great if incompetent white supremacists are given even more power and cover to enact murderous policy, yeah, sure

please do not try responding to this with "but whatabout the current intelligence apparatus" because yes that too is bad duh

Please explain how competent white supremacists are better for the left than incompetent white supremacists

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/afainatl/status/1249686534305038338?s=20

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/jaredlholt/status/1250137538192461825?s=20

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

me 25 years ago: gosh the internet is so fuckin cool, i wish more of my friends and family knew about it so i could talk about internet stuff with them
*monkeys paw curls*

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I'd still like to know why people prefer genocidal psychopaths who know what they're doing to genocidal psychopaths who are lifelong gently caress ups

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MizPiz posted:

I'd still like to know why people prefer genocidal psychopaths who know what they're doing to genocidal psychopaths who are lifelong gently caress ups

which one are you

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

which one are you

"WhY dO yOu SuPpOrT tRuMp!?"

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Flesh Forge posted:

his real middle is C, no poo poo

:eyepop:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

for real

https://abc13.com/2-texas-neo-nazi-members-accused-of-threatening-journalists/5969182/

quote:

John C. Denton, 26, of Montgomery, Texas, a former leader of the neo-Nazi group Atomwaffen Division, was arrested Wednesday and charged with a series of phony bomb threats made in Virginia and across multiple countries.

OMG JC, A BOMB!!

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

MizPiz posted:

they like the genocide. qanon is a fantasy of a military coup

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Doctor Jeep posted:

for the upteenth time, he's not making GBS threads on the left, the democrats aren't the left
he's making GBS threads on liberals
ezra can't convince people to move tot he left because EZRA ISN'T A LEFTIST, ezra doesn't want leftists in power, ezra is a center right turd
there's a better chance of someone watching glenn on fox going left than some vox reading lib

you didn't answer my question, so i'll ask again: do you seriously think that a typical fox news viewer is going to see glenn on fox news talking about how dems are evil authoritarians cause they laughed at some chud getting banned on twitter, and then somehow move MORE to the left?

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Glenn’s gonna get killed by a lynch mob for bing gay and these freaks are gonna act like he did it to make them look bad

can you link me to any videos where glenn is on tucker's show for the purpose of criticizing people like bolsanaro?

or is the rationale that glenn is doing good work against bolsanaro and therefore that gives him a free pass to have other lovely beliefs and help make the u.s. worse downplaying our own bolsanaro(s)?

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Farm Frenzy posted:

they like the genocide. qanon is a fantasy of a military coup

"Belief that the US government is secretly being taken over by an elite cabal of fascists is now making its way into the mainstream"

90 conspiracy theorist: "YES! finally people are waking up!"

"Ah, but you see there is a catch..."

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

MizPiz posted:

Please explain how competent white supremacists are better for the left than incompetent white supremacists

nobody actually said this, hth

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i saw 'benzos' was trending on twitter and thought Jorpy was back in the news

alas :smith:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

you didn't answer my question, so i'll ask again: do you seriously think that a typical fox news viewer is going to see glenn on fox news talking about how dems are evil authoritarians cause they laughed at some chud getting banned on twitter, and then somehow move MORE to the left?

we explored this in detail in a DnD thread (lol) and the stumper for me was "would it be cool for prominent leftists like Greenwald and Ball to do joint media stuff with the Daily Stormer and Richard Spencer" and the answer was apparently no, so they're just quibbling about how bad Tucker Carlson, the actual promoter of no-poo poo nazi propaganda that originates straight from swastika wearing nazis who revere hitler etc, not a hyperbole, is

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Mr Interweb posted:

i'm curious. i realized that the people that sam harris has had a huge meltdown over (noam chomsky, ezra klein, glenn greenwald*) were on the left. has he ever demonstrated similar temper tantrums to anyone on the Right? cause i legit can't recall any.

*yeah i know greenwald's not proper "left", but harris' issue with him was from a rightwing perspective

the only people he criticizes on the right are religious fundamentalists

and not because they’re on the right

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

I didn't answer your bright question because it doesn't matter, it's "have you stopped beating your wife" with different words, it doesn't change the fact that glenn is legitimately more left than ezra klein, and that ezra klein isn't left at all

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/afainatl/status/1249729605730213888

never saw that hard right turn coming with mixlr. i will no longer be using their service

also the roman numeral episode numbering is just... so lame

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Doctor Jeep posted:

I didn't answer your bright question because it doesn't matter, it's "have you stopped beating your wife" with different words

:lol:

can you please elaborate on this, cause i legitimately don't get how you can make that equivalency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

:lol:

can you please elaborate on this, cause i legitimately don't get how you can make that equivalency

it's obviously ridiculous, he's not gonna convert fox news chuds, you're taking something said in the heat of the (gaming, lol) moment and ignoring the rest
to conclude, ezra klein isn't on the left