Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There's not too much on the wiki about Suikoden 3. A note about not fleeing from a fight in Geddoe's chapter, and a recommendation to prioritize Thomas' story. Anything else in particular I should know? How many missable stars are there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.
Overlord: Raising Hell

In the first abyss, the Mellow Hills Abyss, there is a section where you need to move a cart using minions. You have to hold down the target button while you move the minions in order to get the cart to move.

I'm not sure if I completely missed some clue in game on how that section worked, but I had to look up what I was missing because I could not seem to figure it out.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

There's nothing in the Wiki for Avadon. Any tips?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Mayor McCheese posted:

Any tips for its sequel? I'm revisiting some of my older games that I never finished and this is one that is on my list.

edit for engrish

Afraid not. I played it for a short while back in the day and decided that I wasn't fond of it. It's a shame--I like the first game so much that I still play it regularly. If you revisit SaGa Frontier and need a hand, feel free to PM me.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm only a few hours in, so I don't know much, but from my own experience and what I've read:

- A lot of the mechanics are explained in more detail in the manual (which is only 32 pages, so its a quick read)
- You immediately have access to companions of all classes (even if you can't always bring them all with you), so pick whatever starter class you want
- Don't be afraid to use your skills/abilities/whatever, but keep in mind that Vitality (blue bar) is only restored by drinking potions of Vitality, or returning to Avadon
- There is a character you'll eventually find who you can use to respec your character, so don't worry about locking yourself in too deep (haven't met this character yet, so I don't know how far into the game they are)
- There are straight up cheat codes that you can type in, though this disables medals
- Shadowwalkers and Sorceresses both have skills that reduce the number of lockpicks needed to pick a lock, but they don't stack together -- it just uses the number of whoever has the highest skill (learned that one the hard way)
- You can't just walk up to most tables and click on them to grab what is on them -- you have to use the 'g' key to check the ground

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

ChetReckless posted:

I'm only a few hours in, so I don't know much, but from my own experience and what I've read:

- A lot of the mechanics are explained in more detail in the manual (which is only 32 pages, so its a quick read)
- You immediately have access to companions of all classes (even if you can't always bring them all with you), so pick whatever starter class you want
- Don't be afraid to use your skills/abilities/whatever, but keep in mind that Vitality (blue bar) is only restored by drinking potions of Vitality, or returning to Avadon
- There is a character you'll eventually find who you can use to respec your character, so don't worry about locking yourself in too deep (haven't met this character yet, so I don't know how far into the game they are)
- There are straight up cheat codes that you can type in, though this disables medals
- Shadowwalkers and Sorceresses both have skills that reduce the number of lockpicks needed to pick a lock, but they don't stack together -- it just uses the number of whoever has the highest skill (learned that one the hard way)
- You can't just walk up to most tables and click on them to grab what is on them -- you have to use the 'g' key to check the ground

Thanks - added to the wiki.

Oblivion590
Nov 23, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

- Dexterity increases your dodge chance, which can be a powerful defense.
- Don't be afraid to use consumable items or skills that cost vitality to win a hard fight.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

GrandpaPants posted:

There's absolutely no punishment for stealing if you can - you're either prevented from picking something up, or do so without reprecussions.

If a shopkeep etc is preventing you from grabbing some stuff, mess around until he doesn't have a line of sight at the character doing the stealing, and you'll be able get the item. Since there's a finite amount of gold in the game and a bunch of expensive items to purchase, every little bit helps.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Xander77 posted:

There's absolutely no punishment for stealing if you can - you're either prevented from picking something up, or do so without reprecussions.

If a shopkeep etc is preventing you from grabbing some stuff, mess around until he doesn't have a line of sight at the character doing the stealing, and you'll be able get the item. Since there's a finite amount of gold in the game and a bunch of expensive items to purchase, every little bit helps.

That was bugging me for so long, since I think Redbeard or someone actually warns you against this, but nobody actually reacted to what I was doing.

Also, Is there a point to bringing poo poo like rope and other miscellaneous items? I imagine rope is pretty useful in ye olde RPGs, which this seems to emulate, but I don't see a place to "use" it.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Picked up Tales of The Abyss for the 3DS today. Anything important I should know before I start playing ?

fit em all up in there fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 15, 2012

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

dylan14 posted:

Anything impotent I should know before I start playing ?

Yeah, I think auto-correct has betrayed you. :v:

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

dylan14 posted:

Tales of The Abyss
There are a few tips on the wiki already.

Fancy Google search string turns up the following additional tips.

"Nate RFB" posted:

• Just go through the game playing it as you want and don't worry about getting everything. Some of it you can't get until a second playthrough anyway, so if you want to use a guide use it THEN.
  • It might be worth finding out Field of Fonons attacks, though. Essentially, during the course of a battle little rings will appear in certain places that correspond to one of the 6 elements. Certain Artes when performed within these rings, if they match the right element, will utilize a special move or variation of the arte. Like an upward strike will become something fire-related. These attacks are generally pretty good, and later on in the game when you get Sunshine Fon Slots you might want to pay attention to this stuff. So it might be worthwhile to look through a quick FAQ to find out which artes correspond to which elements.
  • You can equip capacity cores to help boost certain stats...however the game IIRC doesn't immediately show you how. When you start getting Capacity Cores make sure to check them out to see if they are better than the ones you currently have equipped.
  • If you want to use a Green Fon Slot for the Stealing ability, don't put it on anything for Luke. It works much better on Guy's artes.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

GulMadred posted:

There are a few tips on the wiki already.

Fancy Google search string turns up the following additional tips.

Thanks for digging these out. I've added them to the wiki.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Anything for Corpse Party, or is it pretty straightforward?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Panic Restaurant posted:

Anything for Corpse Party, or is it pretty straightforward?

All I can say is that the game is incredibly annoying and is littered with bad design decisions. Many adventure games have the problem that you might know how to solve a puzzle but you have to go through ridiculous hoops to get the character to do as you want them too. This game has this in spades, which will often result in multiple game overs. Of course, the save points are placed so that you will have to watch long unskippable cutscenes before you can try and die again in seconds. I absolutely hate that game. My advice if you want to suffer through it is to always keep a walkthrough handy. Or just buy something enjoyable instead.

EDIT:
The music (or rather the single track) is pretty decent, though.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I seem to recall that someone in this thread recommended an ini tweak for Crysis to make energy unlimited.

I'm looking to run through the game for fun, but not in god mode or anything. Is making suit energy unlimited going to overpower me in a way that will take all challenge out of the game, or will there still be a reasonable chance that I die?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You can still die. It is that futuristic technology having a two second charge is really dumb.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

That was bugging me for so long, since I think Redbeard or someone actually warns you against this, but nobody actually reacted to what I was doing.

Also, Is there a point to bringing poo poo like rope and other miscellaneous items? I imagine rope is pretty useful in ye olde RPGs, which this seems to emulate, but I don't see a place to "use" it.

Nope. If it has no listed value there is no need to carry it. The only items you want to hoard that aren't consumables or equipment are arcane scrolls and drake hides.

Any of the character classes can work for your main character, though a shaman main can lead to a few fights while being harder due to energy damage resistances. If you go that route consider giving her the offensive magic scarabs for flexibility.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I'm loading Planescape: Torment right now after many years of being told I need to play it. What do I need to know?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

crime fighting hog posted:

I'm loading Planescape: Torment right now after many years of being told I need to play it. What do I need to know?
One tip I don't recall seeing on the wiki: If you're playing around with the Modron figurine / planning to go meet Ravel, either have a 5 person party or figure out which NPC you don't mind never seeing again.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

The biggest piece of advice is read everything and talk to everyone. So much of the game involves piecing together the backstory that happened prior to you waking up at the start of the game, and lots of NPCs will be able to fill you in.

If you want the whole story experience, play as a mage, pump WIS, then INT, then CHA, and make sure you travel with, if memory serves, Annah, Morte, Dak'kon, Ignus and Vhailor. That doesn't mean don't travel with anyone else, just that those party members are the ones with the biggest ties to the main plot.

Other random advice:

Keep the Bronze Sphere when you find it. Never lose it.

Keep a hammer and prybar on you.

When you find an arm in the sewers near Pharod, take it to Fell near the Smoldering Corpse. MAKE SURE YOU GET DAK'KON TO TRANSLATE, EVEN IF YOU ALREADY SPEAK DABUS.

You can upgrade Morte's teeth, so be on the lookout for new sets.

In one of the early Sigil maps, you'll be approached by a man named Mar who'll ask you to deliver a box. Do the quest without opening the box, and when you return to Curst later in the game make sure you fully explore the map before heading to Carceri, and be ready for a massive fight.

Remember that you can switch classes anytime you want, by speaking to the appropriate NPC. Some party members, Annah and Dak'kon I think, will let you switch just by speaking to them, meaning you can do it in combat if necessary.

Speaking of combat, you can run away from most of it. In fact, there are 2-3 points in the game where you really HAVE to run or else the stupidly-overpowered enemies will just slaughter you. You get way more experience from advancing the story and discovering things about your past, so don't worry about losing out on experience from fleeing combat.

Astfgl fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 19, 2012

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Are there any patches or mods I should be aware of? I got it from GOG so I think most standard patches are already built-in.

rSkan
Jul 23, 2006

So I got Alpha Protocol knowing full well that the game is really clunky. Well I played the first couple missions and I'm about ready to just give up on the terrible stealth and just shoot dudes in the head with alarms going off everywhere. Is there any major consequence for going this route (story, experience, perks)? Do you get more experience for going through a mission knocking dudes out without setting off an alarm?

Additionally, I've heard chain shot with the pistol is the way to go but are there any skills I need to avoid?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Are there any patches or mods I should be aware of? I got it from GOG so I think most standard patches are already built-in.

Yes there are. At least install the widescreen mod and fixpack (and do this before starting, it will invalidate save games). I haven't tried Unfinished Business or most of the Tweak Pack, although the Tweak Pack's Maximized HP Per Level setting helps a lot with not getting randomly screwed by the D&D rules.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Another Planescape tip: Do NOT leave the Mortuary until you obtain the Raise Dead power.

Similarly: Do NOT leave the Dead Nations until you obtain the Speak-With-Dead power.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

rSkan posted:

So I got Alpha Protocol knowing full well that the game is really clunky. Well I played the first couple missions and I'm about ready to just give up on the terrible stealth and just shoot dudes in the head with alarms going off everywhere. Is there any major consequence for going this route (story, experience, perks)? Do you get more experience for going through a mission knocking dudes out without setting off an alarm?

In general - and I cannot stress this enough - AP will not punish you for doing things a particular way, it'll just reward you differently. If you take the violent route, characters will note this (and not all of them will like it, but then, the same is true of the stealthy approach), and you'll get perks related to combat rather than stealth. There aren't OOC incentives like good items that only appear for particular playstyles or massively skewed experience payoffs like in, say, DX:HR.

That said, it's worth keeping in mind that stealth in AP is nothing like stealth in, say, Thief, or Splinter Cell. The expectation in most missions is that you'll use abilities like Awareness and (especially) Shadow Operative to take everyone down without getting shot at, not that you'll slip silently through the level and leave without anyone the wiser.

Also, Stealth 5 gives you always-on Awareness and is thus useful even for combat characters.

quote:

Additionally, I've heard chain shot with the pistol is the way to go but are there any skills I need to avoid?

Keep in mind, first, that you get a chance to respec at the end of Saudi Arabia. At this point it'll also ask you to tag three skills; those are the only skills you'll be able to raise to 15 instead of 10.

There's nothing you really need to avoid, but not all skills will work with all play styles. Here's a quick rundown.

Weapon skills: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, SMG. You want at least one of these, but it's generally not worth increasing more than one. Pistol is hilariously overpowered once you unlock Chain Shot and is generally the easiest option. Pistol and Shotgun are the only guns with nonlethal options; Pistol and Rifle are the only guns with silent options.

Sabotage: the grenades/lockpicking/hacking/bypassing skill. One rank into it will let you skip those minigames by using EMP grenades. More ranks will make them easier and give you some grenade-related bonuses. You can get by with just one rank to let you use EMPs, but if you're doing a lot of hacking/lockpicking/bypassing, more ranks will make it easier (and get you more money from hacking).

Technical Aptitude: mostly passive bonuses - increased carrying capacity, damage and armour. The active ability, Brilliance, instantly recharges all of your other skills and is thus amazing, as it lets you use Chain Shot/Shadow Operative/Room Sweep/etc twice in a row.

Stealth: the other hilariously overpowered skill. Stealth 5 gets you always-on see-through-walls and is amazing for any character type. Shadow Operative turns you invisible, letting you walk (not run) around and do instant melee takedowns that do not break stealth. Combine with Silent Running and Brilliance and you can dash through half a level like the goddamn Batman leaving a trail of unconscious guards in your wake.

Toughness: makes you harder to kill. Useful for just about anyone except, perhaps, the Stealth/Pistols build (which tends not to take any damage in the first place, even against bosses). Just about mandatory for melee builds.

Martial Arts: good if you want to punch people instead of shooting them, and there's one mission in Rome that can be kind of aggravating at the start if you have no ranks in this. Not a complete replacement for ranged weapons (as there are some enemies that are hard or impossible to close on), but a viable primary attack, and probably the second-fastest way of taking down most bosses after Chain Shot.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The SMG is Half-Life 2 bad, only you don't get tons of ammo to continually drop people. The upgrades for it is more ammo...

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

The SMG is Half-Life 2 bad, only you don't get tons of ammo to continually drop people. The upgrades for it is more ammo...

The SMG is probably the hardest weapon to use. The trick is that one clip works for basically any number of enemies as long as they're in the same room - open fire to build up your multiplier, then activate the special when it's nearly empty and go to down with your infinite ammo and ridiculous damage multiplier.

I definitely wouldn't recommend it for a first playthrough.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

You can easily miss one optional party member later in the game (in the prison of Curst) because he's standing in a room behind an exit from an area. I mean, you need to click some spot to leave an area, but the room he's hanging out is further down, behind the spot where you'd click to leave.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Any tips for Sequence? Fun little game, so far. Great sense of humor, too.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Colon V posted:

Any tips for Sequence? Fun little game, so far. Great sense of humor, too.

Every monster drops at least one "rare" component. These are usually used to create nice stuff, so if you fancy the grind (at least it's fun to fight monsters) then it might be worthwhile. Apart from that there's nothing fancy.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Anything I should know before I get too far in Ace Combat: Assault Horizon? The first helicopter mission was a bit of a pain for me, but I think I have most of the basics down, especially that some dudes can't be killed outside DFM.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

rSkan posted:

In addition to what ToxicFrog said, the game doesn't tell you that crouching isn't auto-silence like most stealth games. If sound dampening isn't at least 3 or 4 then you'll still be heard long before approaching an enemy. There are two missions (one in Rome and one in Taipei) where killing people will alter the course of the ending but AP never punishes you for doing anything and you're encouraged you not to redo dialog because the game literally rewards you for everything via perks. It's the only RPG I've played where little achievements give you bonuses for playing it how you want, not for choosing the "correct" sequence that developers wanted you to play.

As far as weapons go, I beat my first play with a pistol/rifle rookie with no stealth and no chain shot. I didn't put any points into rifle because it's the most accurate and relatively powerful weapon. I took pistol because of the nonlethal option. I pumped up sabotage because there are perks that give you a shitton of cash so I was swimming in awesome gear. Toughness and martial arts were almost maxed out and I had the best armor so I just ran up to dudes and clocked them. Anyone too far to punch was sniped with the rifle. My second play was with a stealthy veteran with chain shot which made a hard run trivially easy but super fun. I think the game is well balanced once you understand how to actually play it because the game doesn't do a great job easing you into the mechanics.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Ddraig posted:

Every monster drops at least one "rare" component. These are usually used to create nice stuff, so if you fancy the grind (at least it's fun to fight monsters) then it might be worthwhile. Apart from that there's nothing fancy.

The drop rates are way too low IMO. It's like the developer thought "Oh, 33% chance means they'll get one every 3 battles!".

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Anything I should know about White Knight Chronicles 2 for the main story quest? Especially about character names I shouldn't bother leveling up? I read a spoiler free comment for WK1 where someone suggested you didn't bother with two characters which helped immensely.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
On a whim I picked up Dungeons, knowing full well it's not a Dungeon Keeper clone. However I'm not really sure what I should be doing. So far it seems to be a case of put down treasure, wait for the hero to pick it up, kill him with the Dungeon Lord. I assume there's more to this that I'm missing?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Hemish posted:

Anything I should know about White Knight Chronicles 2 for the main story quest? Especially about character names I shouldn't bother leveling up? I read a spoiler free comment for WK1 where someone suggested you didn't bother with two characters which helped immensely.

Are you starting from the beginning of the whole story? If you're starting from the beginning, stick with Yulie (Staff+Divine+Elemental) and Leonard (Spear+Divine) until you get Caesar. Remove Leonard, substitute in Caesar, and give him the same skillset as Leonard. This is because Leonard completely leaves the party for pretty much the entire last quarter of the game. This means he doesn't even get XP like reserve members and will be brutally underleveled when he finally rejoins. Alternatively, you could use Eldore instead of Caesar or Leonard but he doesn't get a Knight, so you won't have that to fall back on in a pinch.

As for general tips:
  • Your best course of action for your avatar is going to be a tank build (Spear+Divine) UNLESS you're planning to play online. If you're only playing single-player (Why would you do that?), you should play a tank since 90% of the time whoever you're controlling will be the target of attack. Otherwise, focus on the sheer power of a Staff+Elemental+Divine or Axe/Longsword+Divine build, or the supportive capabilities of a Bow+Divine build.

• Your attack speed is determined by your burden, but your burden will always be moderate unless you're wearing full light or heavy armor and using a light or heavy weapon. So you could be wearing full heavy armor and using a bow and only have a moderate burden, which is still fast enough that you'll generally get another turn by the time you complete your attack.

• Almost every weapon type comes in at least two flavors. For example, Longswords come as Longswords or Katanas. Katanas have a higher critical hit rate, but break more easily. There's literally no reason not to use Katanas anyways. Equipment repair is super cheap and can be done at any save point.

• Attack power comes down to nothing but your weapon and your Strength. Agility determines evasion, Dexterity is accuracy, Spirit is magic resistance, Vitality is physical resistance. Don't confuse resistance with defense, as low VIT or SPR will leave you hurting more than low defense.

• Bounties and Errands are worth the small amount of effort they take. Bounties will get you easy gear, and later ones can get you whole sets of armor. Errands are good for easy GP to raise your rank and give you access to new instanced quests. New Errands appear after certain points in the main story, and generally require things from areas you're going to if they require anything at all. Also, certain Errands later in the game will unlock new (usually awesome) skills.

• Combos aren't very useful, except to deliver large amounts of damage to the break points on giant enemies when they become vulnerable. They become even less useful when you acquire the Avatar's knight. Combos land an additional hit on completion if you use at least four attacks and one of your attack types is at least +10

• When you're forced to use a Knight in a battle, that Knight's MP will regenerate instead of constantly run down like normal. However, you WILL get a game over if any of your Knights are killed. It's incredibly lovely.

• Boss fights in the second half of the game can get incredibly one-sided. Luckily you can always turn around and grind in the area until you feel more confident. The game will warn you if you're entering an area you can't leave until you complete the story there, so keep a separate save just in case.

• The Moon Maiden Knight only gets two weapons in the game. Do not use the second one. It has nothing but spells and will ultimately screw you in the final boss sequence. You'll know what I mean when you get there.

• The Avatar's knight will be a huge help in the game. Be sure to acquire it when it opens. If you're level 50 it shouldn't be too hard. Afterwards, various rifts will open up around the world, and certain ones will contain one of the pieces to a better set of knight armor and weapons. They all contain tough enemies, so your travels will also get you bunch of levels in the process.

• Be aware that the single player story is not the actual end of the story. Your Avatar's story continues online in a series of progressively more difficult quests, and a final series of more story-driven and incredibly difficult quests.

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 22, 2012

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

SpazmasterX posted:

Are you starting from the beginning of the whole story? If you're starting from the beginning, stick with Yulie (Staff+Divine+Elemental) and Leonard (Spear+Divine) until you get Caesar. Remove Leonard, substitute in Caesar, and give him the same skillset as Leonard. This is because Leonard completely leaves the party for pretty much the entire last quarter of the game. This means he doesn't even get XP like reserve members and will be brutally underleveled when he finally rejoins. Alternatively, you could use Eldore instead of Caesar or Leonard but he doesn't get a Knight, so you won't have that to fall back on in a pinch.

As for general tips:
  • Your best course of action for your avatar is going to be a tank build (Spear+Divine) UNLESS you're planning to play online. If you're only playing single-player (Why would you do that?), you should play a tank since 90% of the time whoever you're controlling will be the target of attack. Otherwise, focus on the sheer power of a Staff+Elemental+Divine or Axe/Longsword+Divine build, or the supportive capabilities of a Bow+Divine build.

• Your attack speed is determined by your burden, but your burden will always be moderate unless you're wearing full light or heavy armor and using a light or heavy weapon. So you could be wearing full heavy armor and using a bow and only have a moderate burden, which is still fast enough that you'll generally get another turn by the time you complete your attack.

• Almost every weapon type comes in at least two flavors. For example, Longswords come as Longswords or Katanas. Katanas have a higher critical hit rate, but break more easily. There's literally no reason not to use Katanas anyways. Equipment repair is super cheap and can be done at any save point.

• Attack power comes down to nothing but your weapon and your Strength. Agility determines evasion, Dexterity is accuracy, Spirit is magic resistance, Vitality is physical resistance. Don't confuse resistance with defense, as low VIT or SPR will leave you hurting more than low defense.

• Bounties and Errands are worth the small amount of effort they take. Bounties will get you easy gear, and later ones can get you whole sets of armor. Errands are good for easy GP to raise your rank and give you access to new instanced quests. New Errands appear after certain points in the main story, and generally require things from areas you're going to if they require anything at all. Also, certain Errands later in the game will unlock new (usually awesome) skills.

• Combos aren't very useful, except to deliver large amounts of damage to the break points on giant enemies when they become vulnerable. They become even less useful when you acquire the Avatar's knight. Combos land an additional hit on completion if you use at least four attacks and one of your attack types is at least +10

• When you're forced to use a Knight in a battle, that Knight's MP will regenerate instead of constantly run down like normal. However, you WILL get a game over if any of your Knights are killed. It's incredibly lovely.

• Boss fights in the second half of the game can get incredibly one-sided. Luckily you can always turn around and grind in the area until you feel more confident. The game will warn you if you're entering an area you can't leave until you complete the story there, so keep a separate save just in case.

• The Moon Maiden Knight only gets two weapons in the game. Do not use the second one. It has nothing but spells and will ultimately screw you in the final boss sequence. You'll know what I mean when you get there.

• The Avatar's knight will be a huge help in the game. Be sure to acquire it when it opens. If you're level 50 it shouldn't be too hard. Afterwards, various rifts will open up around the world, and certain ones will contain one of the pieces to a better set of knight armor and weapons. They all contain tough enemies, so your travels will also get you bunch of levels in the process.

• Be aware that the single player story is not the actual end of the story. Your Avatar's story continues online in a series of progressively more difficult quests, and a final series of more story-driven and incredibly difficult quests.

Wow thank you for that. I just finished WK1 and wanted some advice. You explained some of the stuff I was unsure about but had an idea of their use since I played a bunch of RPG. As for your spoiler, it's Eldore and not Leonard. Leonard is the main character for the single player part of the game in the first one.

Thank you very much for the builds! I controlled Leonard for the whole game and didn't use my avatar. I just spent an hour respeccing everyone but I'll revert to my save still on the ship. I'll make my Avatar a tank I think, I just got a few fights with him being Elemental and it sucked. If I ever want to play online and what not, I will reset my skills.

Someone needs to add this stuff to the wiki as there is no info on WK1 or WK2.

Hemish fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 22, 2012

Oblivion590
Nov 23, 2010

If you're using an nVIDIA graphics card, you may experience horrible, horrible frame lag when casting spells or hovering over really large selectable objects. If you do, there's a patch that will fix the issue, though it may cause some cursor trails on the menu screens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The drop rates are way too low IMO. It's like the developer thought "Oh, 33% chance means they'll get one every 3 battles!".
But... that's exactly what it means. :psyduck: