Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Oh poo poo Hogan vs Piper surely this will be a classic!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Is that Bill Goldberg jobber on the card? I don't want to look up the results and spoil myself. For matches from 17 years ago.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

Is that Bill Goldberg jobber on the card? I don't want to look up the results and spoil myself. For matches from 17 years ago.

he's a mercenary, man

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I know this has been brought up before in this thread, but dear Lord every now and then I remember the WCW/nWo sponsored NASCAR and how the promos and vignettes they would run would spend a minute talking about the car, the driver, and the pit crew, and then have five seconds of actual race footage as the announcer would talk proudly about how “the WCW car powered its way to a top 15/top 17/top 21/top 35 finish/qualifying position.”

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

A *respectable* 58th place finish

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What was Bob Holly's record as a race car driver

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

EugeneJ posted:

What was Bob Holly's record as a race car driver
If it's anything like his WWE record, he was middle of the pack for 8 years until he was inexplicably second place, in one race, for no real reason.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Endorph posted:

If it's anything like his WWE record, he was middle of the pack for 8 years until he was inexplicably second place, in one race, for no real reason.

And then he was run over by Tony Stewart(played by Brock Lesnar)

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Endorph posted:

Going out of his way to unexpectedly rear-end rookie drivers.

Discount Trombones
Jan 22, 2014

SiKboy posted:

Going out of his way to unexpectedly rear-end rookie drivers.

That was JBL.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The best part of that article is when Flair tried to sue them for saying he had alcoholic cardiomyopathy, and they turned around and showed their source - Flair's autobiography.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That book was probably the only time you'll see Flair actually being honest, that he's a guy always one step from psychologically breaking and he avoids that by being...well, Ric Flair.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

The best part of that article is when Flair tried to sue them for saying he had alcoholic cardiomyopathy, and they turned around and showed their source - Flair's autobiography.

Do you have a link to that blog post? I cannot find it. (Not the Grantland article itself, but the follow-up blog post that I think you're referencing.)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

DeathChicken posted:

That book was probably the only time you'll see Flair actually being honest, that he's a guy always one step from psychologically breaking and he avoids that by being...well, Ric Flair.

That might be why he got even worse after it was published. Flat-out denying poo poo that he himself wrote in it, continuing to live the Ric Flair lifestyle and actually cranking it up to eleven, etc. I don't think he liked how honest he was about himself and his life in that book.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Halloween Jack posted:

Do you have a link to that blog post? I cannot find it. (Not the Grantland article itself, but the follow-up blog post that I think you're referencing.)

Here you go http://www.sportsgrid.com/media/ric-flair-threatens-lawsuit-alcoholic-cardiomyopathy/

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

lol that people like Bret Hart believe Flair when he claimed the writer literally made up the poo poo he talked in that book. Bret Hart too trusting man

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's not that one, actually--I could have sworn I read a follow-up blog post, I think by Shane Ryan himself, wherein he not only explained the source, but I think he said he had communicated with Flair and heard a bunch of conflicting nonsense about how the diagnosis was a mistake, or wasn't even a proper diagnosis, and that one of his wives was angry about some of the content of his autobiography, even though she had input on it and got to read it before it was published. (Sorry for the Meltzer-style run-on sentence, but like I said, a bunch of nonsense.)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

What's the "and now I'm going to school for computer graphics" part of that Dave Meltzer titantron video we use as a bumper a reference to anyway

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Luigi Thirty posted:

What's the "and now I'm going to school for computer graphics" part of that Dave Meltzer titantron video we use as a bumper a reference to anyway

A woman who was defending Bret during his anti-american heel run, saying he inspired her. I don't know if it appeared just during Wrestling With Shadows, but that's where I saw it, anyways.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

dave meltzer selling bears

Myrmomancer
May 31, 2014
Off topic, but I am watching a charity stream for a Canadian cancer charity. The streamers mostly play wrestling games. Someone sent out a tweet, and Vince Russo retweeted it. Now he is on Skype on the stream and they are about to play EWR and he is might book with them. This might be interesting. If you want to check it out, it's at http://www.hitbox.tv/newlegacyinc OVER
Sorry if that was outta nowhere, but it was too bizarre a moment to not tell someone.
I just watched a video of Vince Russo book an EWR game. He tried to book a chicken neck on a pole match. I'll give the guy this: dude seems to have a good sense of humor.

Myrmomancer fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 16, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

It's November 10, 1997? WCW's so good I heard they're having some financial problems up north, so bad that the dirt sheets say they might lose one of their big stars this week. :smug:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's November 10, 1997? WCW's so good I heard they're having some financial problems up north, so bad that the dirt sheets say they might lose one of their big stars this week. :smug:

Oh man I forgot we're almost up to that! (Nitro will be Thursday this week.)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Oh, I thought that was this week but looking at a 1997 calendar says that's next week.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Luigi Thirty posted:

can someone spoil this? I can't recall who it was.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
BITCHIN GUITAR SQUEAL

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Sounds to me like we might have another useless belt for the trash can!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

dsriggs posted:

Sounds to me like we might have another useless belt for the trash can!

I can't wait. There's no way that belt mark drops it to that other jackass.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

CobiWann posted:

I know this has been brought up before in this thread, but dear Lord every now and then I remember the WCW/nWo sponsored NASCAR and how the promos and vignettes they would run would spend a minute talking about the car, the driver, and the pit crew, and then have five seconds of actual race footage as the announcer would talk proudly about how “the WCW car powered its way to a top 15/top 17/top 21/top 35 finish/qualifying position.”

There was a Kyle pettey nwo racing shirt on eBay for over a year that was so 90s wrestling/nascar looking. I wanted it but for like $5. Not the $30 minimum they asked for.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'm a week late on my back issues. The 6/9/97 Observer didn't just have WCW fun, it had NWA MSW fun!

quote:

Jake Roberts, Diesel, Razor Ramon and Gorgeous George (Rob Kellum) are scheduled for the TripleManias.

Wanna see the Stro team with Fake Diesel and Fake Razor.

The Violent World made a stop in Memphis:

quote:

Carolina independent wrestlers Roger Anderson and Frank Parker worked this week while the California indie guys that were in last week are already back in California. Anderson, billed as Roger Robinson, lost to Mabel, while Parker lost to Billy Travis.

quote:

Preston Manning, who is the leader of the ultra-right wing Reform Party in Canada, was at a rally last week and someone in the crowd gave him the wolfpack sign and said sweet, and he responded doing the same thing back, although it was clear he had no idea what he was doing.

quote:

The company interview rule is that Flair, Piper and Hogan can't be referred to as "old" although Flair & Piper can be called fossils.

quote:

Larry Zbyszko will be on the Celebrity golf tour starting in June. That'll give him more time to not spend watching any wrestling.

quote:

Bobby Heenan was on the radio this past week in San Diego to push the Los Angeles show. When asked about the Wrestling Observer, Heenan said he'd never heard of it or read it. But that was still better than when a caller asked him about ECW--he just had the host hang-up on the caller and never acknowledged the question.

quote:

Ted DiBiase has disappeared. He missed a few weeks due to going to Tel Aviv, Israel with the 700 club, and came back for Nashville but wasn't used on television and wasn't even there this week. They talked with him about turning babyface since Bischoff pretty much took his spot.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Doomsday Jesus posted:

can someone spoil this? I can't recall who it was.

If you really want to know... Montreal Screwjob

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Preston Manning doesn't know what he's doing at any point? Stop the presses!

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I want to live in the alternate universe where Frank Parker really impressed Vince in his match with Billy Travis and ended up becoming Kane.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I found a clip of Bryan and Vinny watching a old Nitro and was wondering if they ever did a rewatch of the Fingerpoke of Doom Nitro? Does anyone have that?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tonight at 8 PM it is WCW Nitro!!!!!!! Two episodes with all of the Halloween Havoc 97 fallout!

DDP takes on HOLLYWOOD HOGAN!
Ric Flair takes on Macho Man!
The Steiners take on Public Enemy!
Curt Hennig takes on Booker T!
Raven takes on Scotty Riggs!
Chris Benoit takes on Fit Finlay!

In the second episode:

Saturn vs Disco Inferno for the TV title
Fit Finlay vs Dave Taylor
Yuji Nagata vs Psychosis
A Lucha Libre Battle Royal
Lex Luger vs Curt Hennig

AND SO MUCH MORE!

8 PM: http://psp-tv.com/r/badmoviesworsewrestling

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i love me some yuji nagata

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

John Cena posted:

i love me some yuji nagata

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I am appalled anyone would too sweet that goober Preston Manning.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

triplexpac posted:

I am appalled anyone would too sweet that goober Preston Manning.

Leader of the REEEFORM party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Leader of the REEEFORM party.

I love that word!