Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
Also HK goons, if you want to hang out next weekend (the 31st/1st) let me know. :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Do you have wechat? That's the best way to get a hold of me. It's caberham. Anyways, Yeah post in the china travel thread.

It's the usual winter goon season. Quite a few goons are stopping by. So the more the merrier.

In terms of weather there's no rain but it's really hay wire. yesterday was damp and chilly, today is hot as hell. Perhaps a long sleeve shirt and some tshirt or under shirt Will do. And a wind breaker.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
^^^^
Don't join the China wechat, you'll get 400+ messages a day, most of them being pictures of diseased penises*.

*I'm kidding about the 400 messages, it's more like 800. But I'm not kidding about the dick pics.*

*I'm kidding about all that, I went to China and China goons are very nice and welcoming and helpful. I had a great time there and surprisingly, they're normal humans like us (joking aside, it was really nice, what I say here is playful banter between SEA and China). It's worth reading their thread for general information about the life over there, reading stories about teachers getting fired and all that. If you want pictures of diseased dicks though, join the wechat group. :toot:

Oh hi caberham

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
See, we just see diseased dick picks, you guys in SEA just catch the diseases :downsrim:

But yeah, there's another HK channel for meet ups and stuff because not everyone wants to slog through 800 messages.

Oh and Vietnam is over rated~~~

caberham fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 25, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Every other Asia thread is basically TOEFLchat with pants. Silly people!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Not the poo poo posting LAN thread. We either miss big American shits, see everyone blow drying their dicks and goons blowing dick, and love to be gay.

Oh and tell everyone to quit your job.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I refuse to acknowledge any forum outside of T&T or D&D, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

ReindeerF posted:

Every other Asia thread is basically TOEFLchat with pants.

New thread title right here!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Senso posted:

New thread title right here!

That's pretty good.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

ReindeerF posted:

Every other Asia thread is basically TOEFLchat with pants. Silly people!

Man, to hell with all y'all who told me cargo pants were a bad idea. Except when I was climbing and such, I wore some nice, professional-looking dark navy cargo pants, and it was a great decision. All the reviews of the camera I have say it's too large for a pocket, but these pants just say :getin: So much better than wearing it on a neck strap or carrying a bag.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, I want to point out here that I am a cargo shorts proponent (pants if absolutely mandatory). It's the rest of the thread that thinks they're traveldad wear. I dunno.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

I'm holding strong on my fisherman pants. :patriot:<pretend he's holding a thai flag

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
What the hell is TOEFL?

Also warm up Thailand, it has been -30~ ish celsius here in finland :(

edit: -30 in finland obviously, a few weeks before my holiday i hear record breaking cold weather in Thailand of all places.

Barfolemew fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 25, 2014

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Barfolemew posted:

What the hell is TOEFL?

A way for westerners to avoid responsibility.

I say that with a straight face considering my own circumstances.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

I'm pretty sure they mean TEFL, Teaching English as a Foreign Language, which is a course you can take to be certified to teach English. TOEFL is the Test of English as a Foreign Language, which is what foreigners take to prove their proficiency in the English language.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Well, let's leave it up there because there is nothing more Southeast Asian than misspelling something because you don't know what you're talking about and you're too proud to ask for advice and then leaving it there because you can't be bothered to change it. I mean that is why we live here after all. Who cares right? The tourists keep coming anyway.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

I think maybe we should all be honest with ourselves and thread tourists. We had to wear pants during winter this year.

It was a dark time, with no hope...

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Quitter.

I wore pants a grand total of three times and two of those times were to visit the BOI One Stop Service Center to get visa/work permit renewal stuff done. The third time I was forced to by my wife :(

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Let me enjoy my 18 degrees Celsius nights over here. I can sleep without an aircon running, and I can get a cheap thrill sticking my hand out the window while driving :3:

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

ReindeerF posted:

Quitter.

I wore pants a grand total of three times and two of those times were to visit the BOI One Stop Service Center to get visa/work permit renewal stuff done. The third time I was forced to by my wife :(

I had a friend get married in Seattle wearing shorts and flip-flops. Weddings are no excuse, dude.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

eviljelly posted:

Uh, why don't you just get tourist visas like everyone else? Double entry from Vientienne means you get to stay 60 days, plus an extension gets you 30 days more, then you leave an come back to get 60 days more, then extend again for 30 days more. Almost 6 months.

ReindeerF posted:

Yeah and a multiple entry from your home country should be a foregone conclusion. Just get a multiple entry tourist visa from your country's local Thai consulate or embassy, don't overstay.

Ok so that requires flying out of the country, correct? And if I plan on staying more than 6 months I'd be overstaying anyways?

Does anyone have any experience overstaying in Thailand? I understand the potential risks but it really doesn't seem like a big deal to be honest. Just pay your $600-650 and be on your way. Seems like you can even pay that in advance before leaving, too. It seems like the only people I've read about that had issues overstayed years.

Anyone have any issues getting into Thailand on a one way ticket? I know I worried about it a lot in all my traveling and reading online it was always "You can't enter x country without proof of onward travel!" I think I went to 5 different countries at least without an issue with a one way ticket.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Hey everyone, I'm a China goon and I'm escaping to SE Asia during Spring Festival.

Leaving for Singapore in seven hours, staying there a night, taking an overnight train to Kuala Lumpur where I'll stay the night of the 30th. After that, heading to George Town, Penang, where I'll be from the 31st to February 3rd.

I'll be joining up with fellow goon Mein Eyes in Thailand and hanging in and around Phuket from Feb 3-8, Chiang Mai from Feb 8-11, and Bangkok from Feb 11-16.

Message one of us if any of those places are near where you live and you'd like to meet up.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Christoff posted:

Ok so that requires flying out of the country, correct? And if I plan on staying more than 6 months I'd be overstaying anyways?

Does anyone have any experience overstaying in Thailand? I understand the potential risks but it really doesn't seem like a big deal to be honest. Just pay your $600-650 and be on your way. Seems like you can even pay that in advance before leaving, too. It seems like the only people I've read about that had issues overstayed years.

No, it doesn't require flying out. You can go by land, and pretty much every single place you could possibly go in Thailand will have travel agencies that can arrange visa runs for you to just leave and come back, usually the same day. Depending on where you are, it should cost anywhere between $10 and $50 or so. If you stay longer than 6 months, you can just do it again - get another tourist visa in Penang or Kuala Lumpur or Vientianne or Savanaket. You get a little 'vacation' from your vacation that way, anyway - all those places are definitely worth visiting at least once. People stay years like this.

I guess if a day or two of inconvenience every couple of months plus the very tiny risk of a horrendous outcome (i.e. getting thrown in Thai prison) is worth paying $600 for you, then go ahead, but the whole visa situation is ridiculously easy in Thailand so I can't imagine why anyone would want to do it that way. Plus, like I said, the very tiny risk of Thai prison.

quote:

Anyone have any issues getting into Thailand on a one way ticket? I know I worried about it a lot in all my traveling and reading online it was always "You can't enter x country without proof of onward travel!" I think I went to 5 different countries at least without an issue with a one way ticket.

The problem is with the airline usually, not the border/passport control. I've had a problem once when I checked in at the airport, even though my flight was leaving from Malaysia and overland travel out of Thailand is super easy. I had to buy a ticket at the airport out of Thailand (cost me $20 or so - Surat Thani or Hat Yai to Kuala Lumpur is always pretty cheap on Air Asia).

eviljelly fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 26, 2014

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Christoff posted:

I overstayed! I lost my passport near the end of my 1st month and got a new one two months later, and I got dicked around by Thai immigration and my home country so much I decided just to overstay until I felt like going because I was past trying to sort it out through the officials. The Thai immigration officers actually laughed at me when they calculated my fine, which was the point I decided to stop trying to figure it out and said gently caress it.

I paid the $650 on the way to Cambodia, but it took a long time to get through the border and it was probably complicated because my original visa was on a different passport. The Thai-Cambodia border is not an ideal place to be in a tricky legal situation. I got a lot of new and interesting stamps in my passport, but they're all in Thai so I don't know what they mean. I haven't been back to Thailand yet to find out.

I don't even know what you're thinking by going in planning to overstay. This is really not something that should be your Plan A. :psyduck: Don't do it.

Don't. What the hell dude.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Christoff posted:

Don't overstay. Shuffling your tourist visas is a pain but at least do that. You'll want to come back and you won't want any vindictive visa stamps or issues on a return. You put yourself where one capricious border guy could just go "no 90, 15" on return and then wave you through. Doesn't matter what the the supposed rules say or what usually happens. Thailand isn't a third world country in most respects but bureaucratically...

I got into Thailand on a one way one time but that was almost a decade ago now. Things change on that count. As has been mentioned already it's not the government that would stop you, it'd be the airline. What happens is that if someone doesn't get let in by immigration they have to go home. If they don't have a round trip ticket then the airline sees it as a loss. So once in a while the airline will get stung with picking up an immigration flight tab (the government sure as gently caress doesn't pay for it) and then a memo comes down and for a week or two everyone flying to country X will get their passports scrutinized by the check-in ladies or sometimes the boarding crew if electronically checked in and if you don't have return fare you then have to have the right visa or proof of other ongoing fare or they send you home (remember, your flight with them is probably non-refundable, so what do they care). You could risk it but it's probably better overall to get a return fare with a major carrier dated 364 days from then, which is the usual limit on ticket validity, and when you know it's time to leave call them on the phone to change the date / destination. There will be a fee (usually a hundo) and they'll calculate the difference between the two routes and if it's positive you pay that in addition to the fee (if it's negative you don't usually get any money back, and yeah, you still pay the fee).

Having the return ticket handy is also good for personal security reasons. That way no matter what happens to you in Thailand you have an easy, embarrassment free way to get home.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

ReindeerF posted:

Quitter.

I just landed at Dulles on my return trip from Jogja. First thing I did when I had my bags was dig out a pair of pants to put on in the bathroom, and let me tell you, I was NOT pleased to have to do it. Goddamn pantslands and their imperfect seasonal temperatures

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

^^^
:gonk: I thought going from Vietnam to California in winter was bad but DC just takes the cake. So glad that I'm not in school anymore or I'd be in DC, freezing my rear end off now.

I always wear pants when I fly, even in SEA because like every local airline has their AC set to arctic and you can't change the temperature :saddowns: AirAsia is the worst for this, I was freezing on my red eye from Tokyo to KL (they sold so many blankets on that flight, almost everybody had one but I was too cheap to buy one plus no local currency).

eviljelly posted:

The problem is with the airline usually, not the border/passport control. I've had a problem once when I checked in at the airport, even though my flight was leaving from Malaysia and overland travel out of Thailand is super easy. I had to buy a ticket at the airport out of Thailand (cost me $20 or so - Surat Thani or Hat Yai to Kuala Lumpur is always pretty cheap on Air Asia).

I flew from KL to Bangkok one way in September and didn't have a problem. It was Malaysia Airlines and if they had asked, I would just have showed them my ticket out of Vietnam back to the states in December.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Does anyone have experience with forest lodges in Borneo? I'm sorta looking for a 3/4N stay in a remote forest lodge with jungle guides , sightseeing treks and the like. Wildlife sightings are a plus but not mandatory. I mostly want the experience of living in an ancient remote rainforest. Something like this is ideal, but that's the most expensive lodging I've ever seen and out of my budget. I wouldn't mind paying $1K for 3/4N all-inclusive stay for me and wife with guide and day tours included.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Anarkii posted:

Does anyone have experience with forest lodges in Borneo? I'm sorta looking for a 3/4N stay in a remote forest lodge with jungle guides , sightseeing treks and the like. Wildlife sightings are a plus but not mandatory. I mostly want the experience of living in an ancient remote rainforest. Something like this is ideal, but that's the most expensive lodging I've ever seen and out of my budget. I wouldn't mind paying $1K for 3/4N all-inclusive stay for me and wife with guide and day tours included.

Not much direct experience but my wife (Iban from Sarawak) said it can be quite pricey no matter what. Try this site for some alterantives to the above one. It looks like much the same thing at a fraction of the cost.

http://www.insabah.com/

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Don't overstay. Most tourist towns have visa agencies you can bribe for O or student visas.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

I just found out that Thaivisa.com is moving their headquarters here to Hua Hin.

I realize that Hua Hin is full of old people and prostitutes but does it really need that poo poo, too?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Thanks all who recommended not changing my travel plans. Just returned from a trip around Bangkok, Hua Hin, and Pattaya and had an absolute blast. I already can't wait to go back!

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

barf

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Chair Huxtable posted:

I just found out that Thaivisa.com is moving their headquarters here to Hua Hin.

I realize that Hua Hin is full of old people and prostitutes but does it really need that poo poo, too?
I think we've found your next mode of employment, Chair! Youth/female marketing representative.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
By youth I mean anyone under 65.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

dantheman650 posted:

Thanks all who recommended not changing my travel plans. Just returned from a trip around Bangkok, Hua Hin, and Pattaya and had an absolute blast. I already can't wait to go back!

:staredog:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

From what I've read online anyone who paid the overstaying fine had no problems re-entering the country.

It seems like it's only possible to get one double entry tourist visa which when all is said and done will only get me to 6 months. How would you go about getting the 2nd double entry tourist visa?

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Christoff posted:

From what I've read online anyone who paid the overstaying fine had no problems re-entering the country.

It seems like it's only possible to get one double entry tourist visa which when all is said and done will only get me to 6 months. How would you go about getting the 2nd double entry tourist visa?

eviljelly posted:

If you stay longer than 6 months, you can just do it again - get another tourist visa in Penang or Kuala Lumpur or Vientianne or Savanaket. You get a little 'vacation' from your vacation that way, anyway - all those places are definitely worth visiting at least once. People stay years like this.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

I think we've found your next mode of employment, Chair! Youth/female marketing representative.

Oh please. Those morons think that every white woman is a screaming harridan that won't allow them simple pleasures like drinking at 8am every day.

Otherwise I'd think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I'm confused. You say this as if it's untrue.