Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Acid Reflux posted:

You did a fine job on that.
:argh: beaten

Err what a grind turn of events. But seriously that looks cool as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
For people who are concerned about their Lack enclosure catching on fire, you could always install one of these inside:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyC48QdLSCo

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
Are Lack enclosure fires a documented problem? I'd assume if it's sealed well enough, that the fire would run out of oxidizer quite quickly.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Been printing 24/7 in a Lack enclosure with my Monoprice Mini for weeks without issue. Line it with flame retardant material if you worry that much.

Another decent alternative is an old filing cabinet, could probably find one at the local Goodwill for less than 20bux.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
What are the current good boards to buy if you're going to attempt to make your own 3d printer?
I know about the RAMPS and the Duet, are there any others worth looking into?

Edit: seeing as I'm doing this, any other recommended 'best' parts/components? Nema 17 motors seem like the hot choice at the moment.

Keket fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 16, 2018

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
One of the Smoothieboards or the ARCHIM maybe.

Or the Einsy Rambo whenever it's available.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I've got an odd issue lately. I'm trying to print a large part, the base is a hollow cylinder that is nearly the entire size of my 10" bed. Because of this, I'm opting to print it at 400 micron using my .8mm nozzle. I've printed successfully a lot with this before, but I'm having a difficult time with my first layer. The issue is that my layer height is not uniform, there are some points (often at the beginning/end of a line, but not necessarily) that bubble up, or are otherwise slightly higher. This causes catastrophic issues once it comes back for the second layer. It catches the nozzle, which will never have a chance to put down the next layer correctly.

What do I need to focus on to troubleshoot this? What do you work on to get an even, flat layer?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Beds are never actually flat, and thicker layers exacerbate any issues from printing without a raft.

Hard to say without observing your print and machine but I'd guess that first layer isn't mushed down enough and due to the above issues it results in lifting/not bonding enough. If it were my machine I'd first try increasing bed temperature if things looked OK otherwise (I get better bonding on buildtak with higher temps) but who knows with yours.

I can say that when printing with my 0.8mm nozzle I found that 0.3mm layer height was the top end I settled on for "garden hose extrusion" style prints. I know I tried 0.4mm but backed away from it because performance wasn't there, don't remember the details offhand. Mathematically 0.4mm should be "fine" as it's half the dia of the nozzle but in practice it was not. It's was easier and more reliable to go 0.25mm layers on a 0.4mm nozzle than it was to go 0.4mm layers on a 0.8mm nozzle.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Revol posted:

I've got an odd issue lately. I'm trying to print a large part, the base is a hollow cylinder that is nearly the entire size of my 10" bed. Because of this, I'm opting to print it at 400 micron using my .8mm nozzle. I've printed successfully a lot with this before, but I'm having a difficult time with my first layer. The issue is that my layer height is not uniform, there are some points (often at the beginning/end of a line, but not necessarily) that bubble up, or are otherwise slightly higher. This causes catastrophic issues once it comes back for the second layer. It catches the nozzle, which will never have a chance to put down the next layer correctly.

What do I need to focus on to troubleshoot this? What do you work on to get an even, flat layer?
I've been having this issue myself on first layers that print at a 45 degree angle. Seems to partly be a cooling issue for me. That is on diagonals the fan didn't get much time blowing on the line, and for some reason Cura defaulted to zero cooling speed on the first layer for me.

If you're using Cura there is an option to change the first layer thickness, but you have to enable it under your preferences (Settings -> Quality -> Initial layer height). Another thing that helped me was jacking up the bed heat for the first few layers, which helped it stick. Slowing down your printing speed for the first layer might also help.

ed: A brim instead of a skirt also helped.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
My bed is terribly not level. I solve this issue printing on a raft. Works every time

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mofabio posted:

Are Lack enclosure fires a documented problem? I'd assume if it's sealed well enough, that the fire would run out of oxidizer quite quickly.

Under the top layer, Lack is just wood and cardboard.

fuel and kindling yay

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah Lack furniture is like a step removed from Aerogel. It's ~98% air

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

biracial bear for uncut posted:

One of the Smoothieboards or the ARCHIM maybe.

Or the Einsy Rambo whenever it's available.

Surprise! It's available!

https://ultimachine.com/products/einsy-rambo-1-1

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

bring back old gbs posted:

Yeah Lack furniture is like a step removed from Aerogel. It's ~98% air

The entire Lack line of furniture is the unholy cost-savings lovechild of cheap plastic veneer, particleboard, and cardboard boxes. There is a very good reason why they can sell you a $10 end table, and it's because it has more in common with a pizza box than it does to a real wood table.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's an extremely well-designed product (i.e.: it meets its goals, primarily "works as an end table" and "costs $9.99") and it's a fascinating example of how to use unorthodox materials to the edge of their capacity in a role you'd never expect them to fill. The structural components of the product are literally made of cardboard and sawdust.

What it is not is a very good piece of furniture.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
God yes, from an objective metric of "incredibly cheap 'furniture' you can use to fill your college dorm", it's amazing. From a structural design, and a design for manufacture standpoint, it's an astonishing use of cheap materials and ultra modern design and fabrication tech to produce a product that meets it's design goals as cheaply as possible. They honeycomb mesh they use as a stiffener is normally a technique used for aerospace or defense applications, and they used the same technique to make your college dorm furniture cheaper. What was apparently not high on the list was 'robustness' or 'long term use', because if you get it wet or hit it slightly too hard, it sorta delaminates and falls apart on you. Which rolls back to the 'a place to put your beers that is as cheap to manufacture as modern science can accomplish'.

In actual 3d printer news, if your cheapo glass CR-10s bed isn't level, you can get a 6-pack of 12" square mirrors from Home Depot for like $10 and never have to deal with a bowed print bed again.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Revol posted:

Update on my end - I changed the first layer printing pattern in Cura to do the same lines but at 0 and 90 degrees instead of the default 90/135, and the first layer of the print that just finished is basically perfect. The only issues on the print are warping, probably from me pulling it off without letting it cool enough. :doh:

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
That is a heck of a deal for just $120 with all the extra bits (that you have to buy unless you just happen to have the other half of the power supply connector on hand).

It does have some caveats that I notice:
  • The two fan outputs are 5V. They also use their own locking Molex connector instead of a regular connector you'd find on a 3 pin fan (they have an input for tach). It also doesn't say it comes with the connector so you'll have to source your own Molex 5057-9403 to adapt your 5V fans to work with it.
  • The endstop inputs for X and Y don't have 5V, only signal and ground so you can't use any sort of powered endstop such as a hall effect sensor or a switch with an LED indicator. You won't need them if you're doing sensorless homing. I found sensorless homing to be a bit too rough on my CoreXY because the sensitivity needed to be low enough to not trigger false positives but it was high enough that it would make the belts so tight it would usually skip one tooth once it was homed. I'd worry that it would eventually wear the belt.
  • There's no output for LED lights! We all gotta have LED lights on our pronters right?

All in all, if you're looking to make an identical MK3 clone in all respects, it is perfect. If you're looking at it as a more generalized solution, you may find that you're going to have to adapt a few other pieces of your hardware to be compatible.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I'm debating 3D print policy with a coworker. Our new lab has two Lulzbot Taz 6 printers, which is an upgrade from the old Lulzbot Mini we had. He was told by a faculty member that we can't have them powered on overnight. I've run a number of 8 hour prints with no problems and am saying that overnight prints should be OK as long as a staff member checks that there's enough filament, the gcode is compiled with the the right settings for the filament, and the print is going well for the first hour or two. Am I stupid to say that overnight printing will be safe?

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

I've been using a Peopoly Moai printer for about a month. It produces unbelievably detailed prints, but today I finally discovered the failings of resin prints - too brittle. Tried making an articulated figure with ball joints. The ball joint cups basically explode when you try to pop the ball in. I've tried a bunch of variations on the design but this stuff has zero flex. Might have to mix regular FDM joints in with these parts!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

GWBBQ posted:

I'm debating 3D print policy with a coworker. Our new lab has two Lulzbot Taz 6 printers, which is an upgrade from the old Lulzbot Mini we had. He was told by a faculty member that we can't have them powered on overnight. I've run a number of 8 hour prints with no problems and am saying that overnight prints should be OK as long as a staff member checks that there's enough filament, the gcode is compiled with the the right settings for the filament, and the print is going well for the first hour or two. Am I stupid to say that overnight printing will be safe?

It's not unreasonable to have someone or a virtual "someone" on firewatch if it's long term unattended prints if the worry is about a malfunction or something, but yes if the print starts well and has enough filament then normally things go as you say.

mewse
May 2, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

I'm not gonna personally take a side but the author of octoprint posted to this thread saying never leave your printer running unattended because of fire risks

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Synthbuttrange posted:

Under the top layer, Lack is just wood and cardboard.

fuel and kindling yay

Sorry, are people in this thread complaining about a product made with solid outer layers and a honeycomb like infill?...

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Tomarse posted:

Sorry, are people in this thread complaining about a product made with solid outer layers and a honeycomb like infill?...

Complaining? No. Mentioning that they're flammable? Yes.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I got the joke...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Blackchamber posted:

I got the joke...

Me too

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.
i don't

Mofabio
May 15, 2003

Harvey Baldman posted:

I've been using a Peopoly Moai printer for about a month. It produces unbelievably detailed prints, but today I finally discovered the failings of resin prints - too brittle. Tried making an articulated figure with ball joints. The ball joint cups basically explode when you try to pop the ball in. I've tried a bunch of variations on the design but this stuff has zero flex. Might have to mix regular FDM joints in with these parts!

Yeah. I'm going to go out on a limb and say resin printers' niche is going to get smaller and smaller over the coming decades. The range of material properties available to thermoplastics dwarfs that of UV cured resins. There was a great deal of research effort in the latter half of the 20th century to discover organic polymers, few stones left unturned, and the result was dozens of thermoplastics and few resins. In terms of detail, it's a positioning and hydraulic energy problem. Thermoplastics are capable of arbitrary fineness (think about like, polyester thread, micron-thick, with excellent diameter control). Resin printer prototypes can print quickly but, so can thermoplastics in injection molds (again, it's a hydraulic energy problem).

I think I read this in the fusion energy thread here years ago, but, scientific endeavors must overcome 3 barriers: the materials, the physics, and the engineering, in decreasing order of difficulty. Resin printers are stuck with bad materials, the hardest to overcome -- the universe just might not have strong, or high-tensile, or low water absorption, or high-temp, or chem resistant resins. There might not ever exist a PEEK or PTFE resin because it can't physically exist. The physics challenges are similar, perhaps slightly more difficult for modeling thermoplastic prints (shrinkage and polymer chain direction). There are great engineering opportunities, being investigated today at lab-scale, for high-pressure FFF prints with experimental dies, >3 axis prints, to someday match resin detail. I think resin shows the potential of the manufacturing method but will remain a niche endeavor.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tomarse posted:

nobody even mentioned ITS BIODEGRADABLE!!!

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Just to throw it out there, what would be a good idea to have safely unattended prints? Thermal shutoff of power to the whole thing, fireproof enclosure, thermally activated extinguisher spray?

foosel
Apr 2, 2010

mewse posted:

I'm not gonna personally take a side but the author of octoprint posted to this thread saying never leave your printer running unattended because of fire risks

If I remember correctly, that was in the context of cheap printers like Anet A8 and friends. In general I stand by this advice, especially if you don't have much experience with electronics and can't judge if a connection looks fishy or not (which is probably true for the majority of printer owners these days).

That's btw something that people usually misunderstand - the main fire hazard of 3d printers doesn't come from the hotend or the bed overheating and igniting something but rather some terminal, wire or even a pcb trace somewhere in the mix not being rated for the current going through it and heating up enough in the process to catch fire. Considering the currents involved for bringing your 210x210mm or larger bed up to temps at what is commonly still only 12V, that shouldn't be that surprising a risk. And once such a fire gets started, cutting the power remotely won't necessarily make it go out again.

With that being said: I have left the house while a print was running, as I do trust my own printers to a degree (additional plus: their beds are 24V). And a brand name printer is usually not equivalent to a cheap one when it comes to used components and quality control. Nevertheless I have a fire extinguisher mounted to my printer table - I simply saw too many pictures of burnt printer electronics the past years to not have that in place just in case, especially since the place I'm forced to keep it as a simple apartment dweller isn't optimal from a fire safety perspective.

In the end it boils down to: do your homework, check your electronics, make your own decision based on your results and then stand by it. It's your responsibility.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Here's my finished enclosure

Sitting on a small concrete pad which is then sitting on a small rubber mat. Basically zero vibration issues now.

Mounted in the upper left is a pi zero with camera for remote monitoring.

4 Led lights mounted on the top give plenty of light for working on the printer and being able to see it at all times.

Plenty of room at the top for the Z axis to move all the way to the top and the filament not to get tangled or caught up or anything.

Yes I know the front door isn't the correct size, gently caress up on my part but it works.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
Awesome build dude. Love the lighting too. Do any test ABS prints?

Correctly built, an enclosure should reduce risk of fire, not increase it. If you use fireproof insulation, or metal, or any other non-organic or fireproof lining, and it is sufficiently sealed, it should delay the fire from ever reaching the combustible portions of the enclosure, until enough oxidizer is consumed to snuff it out. Those spray fire suppressors are overkill, imo.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Stick a baton on the inside of that door along the top and pretend it’s a feature :)

I leave my printer running when I am out but it is a xyz jr with plastic enclosure. The only dodgy electronics are my heated bed...

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Mofabio posted:

Awesome build dude. Love the lighting too. Do any test ABS prints?

Correctly built, an enclosure should reduce risk of fire, not increase it. If you use fireproof insulation, or metal, or any other non-organic or fireproof lining, and it is sufficiently sealed, it should delay the fire from ever reaching the combustible portions of the enclosure, until enough oxidizer is consumed to snuff it out. Those spray fire suppressors are overkill, imo.

I’ve only had the printer a few weeks and still printing with PLA, dunno if I’m ready to move onto new materials yet lol

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I have a similar setup to that one, but my walls are 1/4in pressure treated ply. Woodworking and 3D printing complement each other very well.

I am concerned that my Mono Mini may not fit after I increase the build size to 250x250x200mm, but I can always remove the internals and mount them elsewhere. It has an awfully large base enclosure that is very, very empty. Could've integrated the power supply at least.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Overthinking things terribly, but I'm at the point of thinking of thermal cutoffs, steel enclosure and something like https://www.htgsupply.com/products/the-watch-dog-automatic-fire-extinguisher-2-kg at the top of the enclosure.

I guess I'm just swinging from risk tolerant to risk averse the more I think about it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
They're spendy, but these cover larger ranges. I had one save my VW bus from a potential catastrophic fire when a carburetor fuel barb popped out, and if you install them above the table your 3D printer is on it protects the whole area:

https://www.blazecutusa.com/collections/blazecut-for-vehicles/products/blazecut-for-vehicles

When I got mine back when it was only $100 but now even at $150 it's a good investment.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
Also spendy, but my solution was 4" thick rockwool for, iirc, $60. However the enclosure used approx $10 worth. Rockwool is sound-dampening and fireproof, and my enclosure gets up to around 70C (I do ABS exclusively). Rockwool is primo insulation so perhaps patrons of your local makerspace could split the difference.

I actually did have a small fire that killed my AZSMZ board, although if I was looking at it I doubt I'd have even noticed. It was caused by using solid-core wire in a screw terminal. I thought I was being clever when I 'flattened' the wire end with a c-clamp. Always use stranded!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
A condensed aerosol fire suppression system would be perfect for an enclosure if they were more readily available.