Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

alansmithee posted:

Lol that would like quintuple it's popularity. I can already see the usual clowns in here talking "why you gotta bring race into it, nothing's wrong with DJ BLACKFACE it's just music!"

I'm starting to enjoy Future a bit more, any of his earlier tapes worth getting? Dude's really hit or miss but man, when he's on it's berserk.

I've been listening to Streetz Calling pretty nonstop. The more 'sentimental' songs on it aren't as good imo but the rest is great.

The Dirty Sprite (I think thats what its called? has "yeah yeah" on it) tape is pretty live too if I remember correctly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

alansmithee posted:

I'm starting to enjoy Future a bit more, any of his earlier tapes worth getting? Dude's really hit or miss but man, when he's on it's berserk.
get astronaut status and streetz calling

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuFbeya4xlk

Somebody posted this as the worst rap song they have ever heard. Doesn't take long to hear why.

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
I don't get future. Tried a few of his mixtapes but he just sounds like someone with a voice impediment to me. Can someone put into words what exactly is so amazing about him?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

real trap poo poo

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

asap-salafi posted:

I don't get future. Tried a few of his mixtapes but he just sounds like someone with a voice impediment to me. Can someone put into words what exactly is so amazing about him?

He makes the songs that sound good.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

You either feel Future or you don't. At first I didn't like him either until I clicked with what he was trying to do. Don't expect lyrics and poo poo but expect good rear end songs.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

asap-salafi posted:

Shhh. Just get lost in the sensational warbling of a real musician. Don't ask too many questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIrhcTkHX_A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djE-BLrdDDc

This is 2AM music

"I wanna tell the world about you just so they can get jealous..."

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW

temple posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuFbeya4xlk

Somebody posted this as the worst rap song they have ever heard. Doesn't take long to hear why.

If you ignore the lyrics it's really not that bad. I could get drunk and belligerent to that. Honestly I kind of like it. It's nice and ignorant. It's like a third rate brick squad.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Mosaic Perception posted:

If you ignore the lyrics it's really not that bad. I could get drunk and belligerent to that. Honestly I kind of like it. It's nice and ignorant. It's like a third rate brick squad.
Yeah but can you get how sober people hear that and say, what the gently caress is this?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

i reep and i rhyme, i rhyme and i reep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVvxuOnlyh0

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

phractured posted:

It's not going to be a fad. UZ's mixtape set a precedent for what a lot of new rap music will sound like.

Also, Casey Veggies DESTROYS that track.

I think with the Harlem Shake being so big we will probably see a lot of top 40 rnb chorus club bangers with (probably even more annoying) bro-trap elements. I don't really see how it can be the future of rap music when the better underground original version has been around for years.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

This is the way a dylan spit

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Farm Frenzy posted:

I think with the Harlem Shake being so big we will probably see a lot of top 40 rnb chorus club bangers with (probably even more annoying) bro-trap elements. I don't really see how it can be the future of rap music when the better underground original version has been around for years.
I think trap is hiphop version of dubstep and its minded out. I don't know what will bang in the club and I think the electronic community is providing more depth to it. But ultimately, everyone is tired of it. I can't see producers really being interested in it any longer than it can make them money. If a Drake or Kendrick rapped over these beats, they would give it a boost. But why would they, they can rap over anything and make it good. Trap is basically a side project for these electronic guys and sub par rappers are depended on it, so trap is ghettoized now.

Any time something hits big in the mainstream, its either on the way up or the on its way down. I think Harlem Shake is just the inevitable bang before people lose all interest in it. I listen to the kids and they are all tired of dubstep. Trap isn't going to replace it. Either people are going to swerve into more electronic stuff or they are going to return whatever they liked before.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

temple posted:

I think trap is hiphop version of dubstep and its minded out. I don't know what will bang in the club and I think the electronic community is providing more depth to it. But ultimately, everyone is tired of it. I can't see producers really being interested in it any longer than it can make them money.

You are talking out of your rear end dude. Kanye West just hired Hudson Mohawke to produce for GOOD full time and Just Blaze is on tour with Baauer right now. Two of the biggest producers in rap music are really interested in it.

I don't care about the baauer trap sound at all but its embarrassing to see you spout ignorance when Pusha t is going to be spitting over baauer beats in a year.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Pusha T is gonna be relevant in a year?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Yeah but Trap is starting to become the triphop where its just techno combined with hiphop beats and I think that Kanye/Hudson's music is going to a lot less trap and more techno. But no one has to admit its techno because of trap. I remember Em saying nobody listens to techno and I chuckled because he was hating so hard. People hate techno for some reason but if you mix it, its good. That trap stuff is going to fade away into something else. Its funny you mentioned Kanye because I've said it before that 808s and Heartbreaks inspired our last era of music and it did. You can see an unknown like Future completely co-opt it and that's how you know a sound is bigger than a trend. When I see a new unknown trap producer get some buzz, I'll buy it. Right now, its a cash-in, its a ticket seller, and its going to be embarrassing by the end of year to be doing techno trap. I think Kanye is going to borrow some of it but it won't be what you are expecting. Trap isn't new, its just mainstream but people already moving out of dubstep and to think trap has legs behind it outside of ATL rappers and hanger-ons is riding the hypebeast.

Anyways, I listened to the Czarface release and its meh. The features are good though. I can't help to think that Mr. MFN Xquire is chronically slept on and creeping on the spotlight, like some Kendrick Lamar poo poo. The Man in the High Castle got smothered by other releases but it is still good today. I can go back and relisten to it and I can't go back to a lot of stuff from past year.

People are going to be calling this trap before its all over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-iwGj4vd_0

temple fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 11, 2013

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Jeez guys these are popular EDM musical genres in the year 2013. The chance of them dying out entirely is basically nil. Some of it will stay and just residually influence stuff for a while, and there will probably be a core group of die hard fans that listen to it, at the very least. That's if you are being especially pessimistic. Trap is pretty drat huge in the Houston EDM scene. Plus, I don't really understand why everyone wants to be the Nostradamus of musical genres and predict which ones are doomed and which ones are going to pop, unless you are a loving label A & R or whatever. Mainstream, run of the mill Dubstep has been pretty boring to me for a while now but there are still a poo poo load of fans there even if Taylor Swift doesn't release another dubstep-influenced tune.

Anyways, I personally welcome all outside innovation and influence to Rap right now because that keeps it interesting for me. I plan on going to see Baauer and Danny Brown when they come here and I expect a hell of a good show.

quote:

Yeah but Trap is starting to become the triphop where its just techno combined with hiphop beats
What does this mean anyway? Edm-Trap and Triphop sound very different...

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I want to hear Young Jeezy rap over a EDM trap beat.

By the way this song is so hard. Not on the album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLuO-uskGps

temple
Jul 29, 2006

an skeleton posted:

Jeez guys these are popular EDM musical genres in the year 2013. The chance of them dying out entirely is basically nil. Some of it will stay and just residually influence stuff for a while, and there will probably be a core group of die hard fans that listen to it, at the very least. That's if you are being especially pessimistic. Trap is pretty drat huge in the Houston EDM scene. Plus, I don't really understand why everyone wants to be the Nostradamus of musical genres and predict which ones are doomed and which ones are going to pop, unless you are a loving label A & R or whatever. Mainstream, run of the mill Dubstep has been pretty boring to me for a while now but there are still a poo poo load of fans there even if Taylor Swift doesn't release another dubstep-influenced tune.

Anyways, I personally welcome all outside innovation and influence to Rap right now because that keeps it interesting for me. I plan on going to see Baauer and Danny Brown when they come here and I expect a hell of a good show.

What does this mean anyway? Edm-Trap and Triphop sound very different...
This thread use more discussion and discussion about relevant music instead of the same Gucci Mane rehash for pages and pages.

Gucci Mane
Lil Ugly Man/SGP (last summer)
Freddie Gibbs
Riff Raff (Bird on a Wire is linked every other page)
UGK
Big Krit
Harry Fraud
French Montana
Currency
requested like every other page, it should be in the OP by this point.

Trap is the new triphop where people who don't want to admit they listen to rap or techno can say trap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKIg4Cq4INY

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

temple posted:

This thread use more discussion and discussion about relevant music instead of the same Gucci Mane rehash for pages and pages.

Gucci Mane
Freddie Gibbs
UGK
Big Krit
Harry Fraud
French Montana
Currency

Trap is the new triphop where people who don't want to admit they listen to rap or techno can say trap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKIg4Cq4INY

Again not entirely sure what you are saying in the first part of your post, but people do actually like Trap not just because whatever stupid reason you gave, fyi.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

temple posted:

Gucci Mane
Freddie Gibbs
UGK
Big Krit
Harry Fraud
French Montana
Currency

The reason those artists get mentioned alot is because they ARE relevant or w/e. I think riff raff is pure garbage and the most mistrelish poo poo out but dude puts out a bunch of music. Same for pretty much every artist you mentioned there. You [s]talked about[/p] posted a link to a youtube for Exquire earlier, when his albums dropped he was getting mentioned constantly (hell, in the last couple of pages someone just randomly linked the huzzah remix). People quit talking about Gucci for a long time, then he dropped like 10 mixtapes in a month and surprise, people talked about him again. If there's dudes you want to talk about, just mention them.

Also still don't see where you're going with the whole comparing cracker trap to triphop. Especially since I don't see a bunch of people who wouldn't admit to listening to rap or techno (although i'd guess by techno you mean edm rather tha actual techno but w/e)

And since you mentioned him, Exquire is ridiculous but he's almost too lyrical. Power and the passion was actually kinda bad, but his other mixtapes usually have a bunch of amazing stuff with one or two songs that just don't work. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with a regular release, though.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

All I'm saying is, moombahton is still zooming up the charts.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I don't know what the gently caress half these genre's you guys talk about are but Trap rap is called that because the people that rap about it ACTUALLY SOLD DRUGS. The neighborhoods are called traps because its giant trap nobody ever moves out of. It has nothing to do with the beat.

Gucci, Jeezy, TI, UGK, Freddie Gibbs, Boosie. That's trap rap. I don't know what the gently caress that other poo poo is.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

RBX posted:

I don't know what the gently caress half these genre's you guys talk about are but Trap rap is called that because the people that rap about it ACTUALLY SOLD DRUGS. The neighborhoods are called traps because its giant trap nobody ever moves out of. It has nothing to do with the beat.

Gucci, Jeezy, TI, UGK, Freddie Gibbs, Boosie. That's trap rap. I don't know what the gently caress that other poo poo is.

True man so why are you talking about something you admit you have no idea is?

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Jesus christ man what is with the agony over the name of the Genre. Just throw an EDM in front of it and don't worry about it.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

temple posted:

Mr. MFN Xquire is chronically slept on and creeping on the spotlight, like some Kendrick Lamar poo poo. The Man in the High Castle got smothered by other releases but it is still good today. I can go back and relisten to it and I can't go back to a lot of stuff from past year.

Seconding this. I still play that mixtape all the time. Ever since I heard him in the Huzzah remix with "Big belly still take my shirt off like Nelly" I've loved that guy.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

alansmithee posted:

The reason those artists get mentioned alot is because they ARE relevant or w/e. I think riff raff is pure garbage and the most mistrelish poo poo out but dude puts out a bunch of music. Same for pretty much every artist you mentioned there. You [s]talked about[/p] posted a link to a youtube for Exquire earlier, when his albums dropped he was getting mentioned constantly (hell, in the last couple of pages someone just randomly linked the huzzah remix). People quit talking about Gucci for a long time, then he dropped like 10 mixtapes in a month and surprise, people talked about him again. If there's dudes you want to talk about, just mention them.
I don't think releasing mixtapes make people relevant or exciting or influential. But I know that flies in the face in the new generation of hiphop fans where everything is about fandoms. That's my opinion. I kind of miss commerical rappers because they try to make music good enough to sell instead of staying in their comfort zone. But in honesty, the mixtape rapper isn't everyone and its interesting to think about who is pumping mixtapes and who isn't. Some rappers aren't giving away music and you will see more commerical people pulling back on the mixtapes.

alansmithee posted:

Also still don't see where you're going with the whole comparing cracker trap to triphop. Especially since I don't see a bunch of people who wouldn't admit to listening to rap or techno (although i'd guess by techno you mean edm rather tha actual techno but w/e)
I think producers are scared to sample so they are going in different directions. So Kanye and his ilk have went in the direction of european club music which has been slowly but surely forced on the hiphop fans. Not saying its a bad thing but its trend. Baauer is getting sued, btw

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

It's only producers lookin to make that $$$ pulling back on samples. You still have underground (ie metro zu, under achievers etc) sampling heavily. But you run into situations like the main attrakionz album where they sell out their trademark sound on their album to try to get more sales and that kinda sucks.

Not that not sampling is necessarily bad (look at a certain Mr. Fresh!) but I agree beats are suffering from it in a lot of rappers music

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 11, 2013

Gladstone
Dec 13, 2010
The Purist x Danny Brown - Jealousy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmjzBbLuMJc

New Danny Brown music video.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
IANAHB2 art and tracklist

Dear Weezy: Stop. Please.

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW

temple posted:

Yeah but can you get how sober people hear that and say, what the gently caress is this?

Oh I can definitely see/hear why certain sober groups of people may not like it.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

temple posted:

I don't think releasing mixtapes make people relevant or exciting or influential. But I know that flies in the face in the new generation of hiphop fans where everything is about fandoms. That's my opinion. I kind of miss commerical rappers because they try to make music good enough to sell instead of staying in their comfort zone. But in honesty, the mixtape rapper isn't everyone and its interesting to think about who is pumping mixtapes and who isn't. Some rappers aren't giving away music and you will see more commerical people pulling back on the mixtapes.

I think producers are scared to sample so they are going in different directions. So Kanye and his ilk have went in the direction of european club music which has been slowly but surely forced on the hiphop fans. Not saying its a bad thing but its trend. Baauer is getting sued, btw

First I agree just releasing mix tapes doesn't mean someone is influential or relevant. But neither does releasing regular albums. And I gotta say you may be the first dude I've heard suggest going commercial helps improve an artists quality. Since trying to sell generally means playing to the LCD and whatever is trending. And sampling has died down, but I hardly think kanye has anything to do with it since he can afford to sample whatever the hell he wants. Also don't see why you have this odd aversion to edm, if anything that stuff had always had rap ties

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

You guys are all wrong GAPEMAN is the real future of the rap game
:nws: http://www.xvideos.com/video1199775/b._pumper_-_the_gapeman_theme_with_lyrics_

Move over for the REAL king of porno rap Kool Keith

Edit: youtube removed the vid, new link same video. watch it.

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 11, 2013

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig
Alright, I see a few of you got that Harry Fraud tape. Any idea what some of these samples are? Especially the Danny Brown song, "On my poo poo", and the French Montana Garbage Bag freestyle?

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

I'm posting from my phone but hopefully this works. Complex just did a list for the best mix tapes of all time.

http://m.complex.com/music/2013/03/the-50-best-rapper-mixtapes/the-50-best-rapper-mixtapes

Thoughts?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

it's in one of those loving slideshows

it also blows

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

That list is so goddamn stupid, Im pretty sure it's a list of the only mixtapes they've ever heard of.

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
gently caress those complex lists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5xxhXJMktY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Profondo Rosso posted:

You guys are all wrong GAPEMAN is the real future of the rap game
:nws: http://www.xvideos.com/video1199775/b._pumper_-_the_gapeman_theme_with_lyrics_

Move over for the REAL king of porno rap Kool Keith

Edit: youtube removed the vid, new link same video. watch it.

I watched about a minute of that and it filled my gaping rear end in a top hat porn quota for the next decade or so.

• Locked thread